44 posts / 0 new
Last post
ShteveJerbz
ShteveJerbz's picture
Daggerfall Resurrection

I have a suggestion: Instead of doing Morrowind to Skyrim graphics, why not do Daggerfall to Skyrim or Daggerfall to Oblivion?

Kitties
Kitties's picture
Daggerfall terrain is

Daggerfall terrain is randomized, so it'd probably be impossible.

Shadow
Shadow's picture
Because it would be

Because it would be impossible.  Randomly generated terrain and vastly different engines.

grumpycat
grumpycat's picture
We are going to port Skyrim

We are going to port Skyrim into Daggerfall, Arena into Morrowind and vise versa, and Oblivion into an iPhone game.

Of course these are scheduled for 2023 so don't wait up.

SupremeEpicness
SupremeEpicness's picture
You can't import arena and

You can't import arena and daggerfall to the modern engines you would just have to create the games over from scratch (daggerfall randomizes terrain once, arena randomizes it every time). also the games are far faar to large for us to create. Skyrim is 16 Square miles(actually 15.8 ). daggerfall is 160,000 (10,000 times larger which is totally impossible for us to make and it would fell very empty due to extreme distances from location to location). We would also have to create all the moddle from scratch as well because dagger fall uses 2d sprites (and arena from that matter).

So it short it's 99.999999999999999999999999999999999999999999% impossible to do (unless over 50,000 modders came to this site to help and I doubt that would happen)

Mehh
Mehh's picture
happychappy wrote: We are

happychappy wrote:

We are going to port Skyrim into Daggerfall, Arena into Morrowind and vise versa, and Oblivion into an iPhone game.

Of course these are scheduled for 2023 so don't wait up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6rmY02KZ-s
I'd play it.
grumpycat
grumpycat's picture
This is our current

This is our current development on the Oblivion to mobile port: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXQEX_4gVYc

Next up will be planet Earth into Skyrim, then we will be looking at putting Oblivion into planet Earth. I've been reading up on Daedric worship and think I might have found the source of a portal in South East Asia.

SupremeEpicness
SupremeEpicness's picture
Oblivion is in planet earth

Oblivion is in planet earth already. There's an Oblivion gate out side my house now. In fact some dremora raided my house and killed me yesterday 

grumpycat
grumpycat's picture
...only to wake up today a

...only to wake up today a Draugr. I knew it!

EnvyDeveloper
EnvyDeveloper's picture
And Uriel Septim is sleeping

And Uriel Septim is sleeping in my guest bedroom. He had a rough night and he's out like a light.

Sjors Boomschors
Sjors Boomschors's picture
Contributor
 The first thing he will do

The first thing he will do in the morning will be lighting the dragon fires with his dragon breath.

Darth Sukellusulos
Darth Sukellusulos's picture

I don t think so engines are different it's impossible.

Trytonlee
Trytonlee's picture
tell uriel to get home right

tell uriel to get home right now martins been worried sick and apparently, uriel gave his necklace to a convict, must of been a rough night

Ridz
Ridz's picture
From Scratch For thr WIN

why not use one of the creator tool set sets for either Morrowind Oblivion Or Skyrim? i know itd be remaking from scratch but it really seems the best option especially with the engine differences..

and i was readin a really nivce discussion uintil the oblivion gate jokes took hold..

GendunDrup
GendunDrup's picture
Oblivion actually already is

Oblivion actually already is ported to mobile.

may I suggest porting Mary Kate And Ashley's Sweet Sixteen to the Pokemon Emerald engine? 

no1
no1's picture
its  just inpossible u can

its  just inpossible u can try to remake it from scratch but would take to much time and even than what would u be remaking the qeusts some creatures what more is there a lot u have to make up only thing i could think of is when elder scroll online is there  there are hints and traces of the daggerfall game in it that can be ust for it  but it is different game designers and time line

but afcourse u can always try to make it no 1 will stop you

EnvyDeveloper
EnvyDeveloper's picture
Daggerfall has a shizzle

Daggerfall has a shizzle amount of content and that will take a LONG time to sift through.

Only TES 3 and 4 can be ported over to Skyrim using automated conversion tools (the landscape and references mostly). Same with TES 3, 4 and 5 on TES 6.

billbob511
billbob511's picture
It would be a remake not a

It would be a remake not a port, but it would still be awesome

Arena and daggerfell use very different engines  (daggerfell used xingine)  and most creatures were actually 2d (although the game was 3d),  the open world was also randomly generated.

with that said it would be cool

Mehh
Mehh's picture
Google Dagger XL

Google Dagger XL

TheMaskedFelon
TheMaskedFelon's picture
At what point will we start

At what point will we start serious development on recreating Skyrim with Tetris blocks?

GendunDrup
GendunDrup's picture
  TheMaskedFelon wrote: At

TheMaskedFelon wrote:

At what point will we start serious development on recreating Skyrim with Tetris blocks?

after we're finished with Chuck-E-Cheezyrim

no1
no1's picture
we got skyrim mario land  

we got skyrim mario land   skyrim minecraft land  probely some 1 is already making it tetris land

lastmaster
lastmaster's picture
Sorry for resurrecting this

Sorry for resurrecting this old topic, but actually it would not be impossible to make a Daggerfall mod for Skyrim. Sure, map would be much smaller than the original Daggerfall and it would not look as great as the current graphics as long as someone doesn't start to remodel many of the meshes, but it would not be impossible. There are still modding tools for Daggerfall that could be helpful for such a task. Such as "Daggerfall Explorer". I mean, there are some fixed locations like cities and such, those can be recreated on Skyrim engine and the since the rest is randomized, it can be randomly filled up later.

Just check this out: http://www.dfworkshop.net/?m=200904

I guess my point is, sure it would require some work and probably wouldn't worth it, but yeah, it is possible and it could be awesome...

Satchboogie
Satchboogie's picture
Donor
I agree with the above post :
I agree with the above post :) its just a pipe dream. Having the daggerfall locations set in stone (making a rendition of it that is workable, confine it to a smaller area etc.) And having the (awesome) storyline play out there. It's not as impossible as it seems,but it would be a project for a full-blown studio I guess. Still fun to think about it though. Then again, Morrowind is the better game.
alysander
alysander's picture
only if team will have free

only if team will have free engine
---
would be better to create new fantasy world then

Wubonater
Wubonater's picture
Hey can we port Arena into

Hey can we port Arena into dagggerfall, arena is far more dated and the run on the same engine right?

no1
no1's picture
uch stop thinking about it

uch stop thinking about it the only 1 that is abel to resurrect arena and daggerfall to skyrim standaart is bethesda its to old and to alian to work

JorgenGorgen
JorgenGorgen's picture
Contributor
If you want to start remaking

If you want to start remaking it from scratch with the CK nobody is stopping you.  I'd suggest using ESO's map of Daggerfall as a reference.  As far as getting most of the people here to do anything with it, you'd have to make an extremely convincing argument for it.

mr fishy
mr fishy's picture
I know that it has been more

I know that it has been more than a year since the last comment but I have been working on resurrecting daggerfall and arena by myself for the past year and have kEpt the main quest line but have scaled the size of the game down significantly and I have only added few knew weapons and armour trying to keep it as close to the original games as possible.

Rakshas
Rakshas's picture
Since its timline is maluble

Since its timline is maluble due to the daragon break anomaly and the Capriciousness of sithis. The events of arena and daggerfall (rather the 1 and 2 that naturally antidate 3 4 and 5) could have occured as just about anything.

The shadows to have been black rest as penubra. as do the lights now recorded as blinding.

Therefore two games onetaking place in all of tamrial and the battle spire dureing the imperial simucralum and, the other during the  historically  noted events leading to the "break" are not just rapture but, correction incarnate.

Seneral
Seneral's picture
Contributor
Wouldn't be too hard though

Wouldn't be too hard though taking into consideration we could reuse most of the assets we're currently making for Skywind. @mr fishy could you post your work? Interested what you got there.

Regarding the engine, I was always asking myself why we've used the Skyrim engine at all for the port of Morrowind... Was it because of the Skyrim models? Because the game base that was already there? Nonethless the Skyrim engine has so many limitations that my choice would've been Unity, cause everyone can use it as it's free and it is so much more user friendly and powerful. The base game would have been implemented in a few months (or even weeks) with a team of a few dedicated programmers working on it...

So the choice of engine would have probably been Unity for the resurrection of Daggerfall/Arena because there it's fairly easy to create a beatiful randomly generated 3D terrain (Could setup that in a week or so, got some tricks there), given we could use the props from Skywind.

I'm also playing with the idea of making a Unity Editor Extension to decrypt Skyrim's .bsa (achives) and .esp (plugins) right inside Unity and making them directly useable with some basic rules and nif/dds conversion APIs (atleast the simple, static meshes and props like potions, food, etc.). Whole levels could be extracted from the .esp files for (nearly) instant use in Unity. Just an idea, I'll start working on a .bsa/.esp explorer in Unity first. Let's see when I'm there.

Seneral

Crestycomb
Crestycomb's picture
Contributor
Youre crazy.
Youre crazy.
LewisBishop58
LewisBishop58's picture
I have a very simple solution

I have a very simple solution you could stick to the same ideas that the original game shows, but you could completely redo it instead of copying it over piece by piece. Like you are doing with Skywind, new assets and the game scaled down a bit more while making it more modern it's not like we need the randomized terrain. Keep it true to the original story but edit it a bit so it's something that can be accomplished. 

Seneral
Seneral's picture
Contributor
Am I? Huh, didn't know...

Am I? Huh, didn't know...

Wouldn't surprise me though... with that kind of heat here

-------

Got the first part of the Archive extracter done, working me step by step through the file format. Once I extracted all the data, I'll do a simple tree view and make some options for exporting. Up until then, everything is exactly in my (crazy) mind... Hopefully will have finished the basic extraction in a few days (currently doing some modeling work). Don't have to fiddle with conversion for now, because I learned Unity has support for .nif and .dds (yay!).

Somewhat making it out of fun and curiousity what the result will be

iceflame542
iceflame542's picture
Contributor
Daggerfall Tools for Unity is

Daggerfall Tools for Unity is already a project. It aims to convert Daggerfall to the Unity engine, with support for all sorts of modification including graphical and model overhauls. By default, it uses Daggerfall sprites. There are videos showcasing the features and some mods people have already made, including the addition of pilotable jets just to show what the new engine is capable of in Daggerfall. I don't believe there is an equivalent project for Arena though.

Seneral
Seneral's picture
Contributor
Looks interesting indeed, but

Looks interesting indeed, but it's not capable of porting Skyrims, Oblivions or Morrowinds archives/plugins, isn't it? Having those assets/worlds inside Unity would be so much cooler... always wanted to know whether Oblivion's engine is more powerful than newer Unity 5 (Oblivion's engine is build on that genre, so it should be a fair match, right?)

But it's a good orientation point what already has been done... Thanks for that, iceflame!

Mr.Fancy
Mr.Fancy's picture
i say it is possible to put

i say it is possible to put Daggerfall into a morrowind, oblivion, or skyrim engine. You say the land is randomly, so it would be too many factors to do. Why not just take one randomly generated land and you that. I love Daggerfall but i want to play it in a 3d engine. If one of the creators manages to read this please respond as soon as possible, thanks.

Taerkalith
Taerkalith's picture
All I can say is if you're

All I can say is if you're interested in seeing an overhaul of Daggerfall, go check these guys out: http://xlengine.com/. We won't be doing it here on tesrenewal.com unless pigs fly.

Erik
Erik's picture
Contributor
Donor
Also Daggerfall Tools for

Also Daggerfall Tools for Unity

http://www.dfworkshop.net/

no_egrets
no_egrets's picture
taerkalith wrote:

taerkalith wrote:

We won't be doing it here on tesrenewal.com unless pigs fly.

Let me just upset this giant and that can be arranged...

TX12001
TX12001's picture
Contributor
Actually over on Dark

Actually over on Dark Creation's someone apparently is trying to recreate arena in skyrim's engine but obviously a down scaled version of it only containing essential towns.

harveh
harveh's picture
that was me and my friends...

that was me and my friends... you humans are such fun

harveh
harveh's picture
If it takes a studio then we

If it takes a studio then we NEED to set one up!! im in!!!

Vivec
Vivec's picture
daggerfall in the unity

daggerfall in the unity engine is already a thing