40 posts / 0 new
Last post
Sammybeau
Sammybeau's picture
Cinematics

I don't know if you guys have already discussed this or had this implemented in any way, but I figured I might bring this up as just a suggestion.

From the time I've spent looking through the forums, it seems as though the Skywind project is intended to not only give Morrowind better graphics, but it also is meant to fulfill gameplay and design that were simply not possible back in 2002.

I recently started a new game in Skyrim, and I realized that many important introductions to cities, factions, and quests are started with small scripted sequences, whether it was just a conversation or a full scene.

I'm sure that some small scripted sequences could be really awesome in Skywind.  For example, there could be some scene showing abuse to slaves when you first visit a plantation.  Perhaps someone could get robbed when you first enter Balmora.  Maybe the fighter's guild members are talking about a recent contract when you first enter.  All of these types of encounters would deepen immersion and solidify the strong Morrowind lore.

While the possibilities are endless, I do realize that time and manhours are limited.  I am mediocre at the CK at best, but I hope to learn more and help all I can.  Nevertheless, I though I might bring this up and see if this has potential. 

Edited by: grumpycat on 03/14/2014 - 22:41
LASentry
LASentry's picture
Donor
Yeah that would be cool, that

Yeah that would be cool, that could be your job!

lifelong
lifelong's picture
Donor
LASentry wrote: Yeah that

LASentry wrote:

Yeah that would be cool, that could be your job!

go-to response for suggestions around here.

The best example of this is the Alik'r asking about the redguard woman when you first visit Whiterun.

It's a good idea, although it requires extra voice acting, and it doesn't really happen in Morrowind at all, I think. It's kind of a shove-down-your-throat tactic, it might help immersion but Bethesda actually just uses it to force you into situations with people you don't care about. I'm not sure where it would fit in Morrowind.

LASentry
LASentry's picture
Donor
Yeah it is definitely not a

Yeah it is definitely not a priority if you think I was implying that, nor is it necessary at all. But as Sammy suggested it could be used with the slaves lol.

Sammybeau
Sammybeau's picture
Ok, so I looked through some

Ok, so I looked through some tutorials and threw this together.

It's just a little example of a small scripted sequence to introduce the player to a new quest, faction, etc.  To start it, just enter the Balmora Fighter's Guild (I believe it may have to be your first time, but I'm not sure).  This is obviously far from perfect, but I hope something like this could be implemented.

SquallyDaBeanz
SquallyDaBeanz's picture
Contributor
You should make a vid of it

You should make a vid of it if possible :D

chainedwarhead9
chainedwarhead9's picture
I like the idea but I. Don't
I like the idea but I. Don't want the questline being shoved in your face because not everyone goes up to a stranger and says hey you wanna join the free masons? Aber ja somthing like that would be cool
digitalparanoid
digitalparanoid's picture
Some quests are started by

Some quests are started by asking about rumors or such and we'll implement them like this for now. But they could be obviously be reworked as scenes when you enter a specific place.

LASentry
LASentry's picture
Donor
The reason I like the idea is

The reason I like the idea is to show some innovation, which to be honest, Bethesda isn't the best at... I think it's a great way to show how far Morrowind could have come on the Creation engine in 2013!

digitalparanoid
As promised, I had a quick

As promised, I had a quick look. This is a nice little scene, adding immersion for sure and it works as advertised.

2 little remarks:

1/ you edited defaultSandboxEditorLocation. We must really be cautious not to modify Skyrim records. Duplicate the record if necessary.

2/ I'm not an expert on story manager branches and nodes so we would have to make sure we don't break anything in skyrim by our addition (also we would need to know about incompatibility with other mods)

I think what would be a good next step is to try to find quests that could be started by a little scene like this. The player would overhear a discussion and have the journal updated.

Sammybeau
Sammybeau's picture
SquallyDaBeanz wrote: You

SquallyDaBeanz wrote:

You should make a vid of it if possible :D

So, as SquallyDaBeanz suggested, here's a video of the scene.  The voice acting isn't that great, but this isn't an official addition anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAko6KsnTW4

@digitalparanoid Yeah, I messed around with the AI packages a little bit just to see what I could do with them.  I'm still really new and learning a lot about this, and I still have a ton to learn about papyrus.  Nevertheless, I didn't expect this to get implemented.  It's just a small example of what we could do with the power of the Creation Kit.  I think I may try to make a new scene with slaves.  I was thinking when you enter Addamasartus (the Seyda Neen cave that, for many, was their first cave) there could be a little dialogue between a slaver and the slaves.  This could serve 3 purposes:

1.  Show an early and detailed cinematic.

2.  Introduce slavery as a large issue in the Morrowind lore.

3.  Allow for a potential sneak attack on the slaver?

LASentry
LASentry's picture
Donor
These actually look really

These actually look really cool!

TWarrior
TWarrior's picture
by the nine, this is

by the nine, this is awesome!

"1.  Show an early and detailed cinematic.

2.  Introduce slavery as a large issue in the Morrowind lore.

3.  Allow for a potential sneak attack on the slaver?"

nice points mentioned there!

chainedwarhead9
chainedwarhead9's picture
Oh so its overheard while
Oh so its overheard while your in the guild room I likes it
Sammybeau
Sammybeau's picture
Here's my newest little

Here's my newest little project that I've been working on.

It's very far from perfect, as there are still things that need to get done with navmesh, ai, level design, etc.  I'm starting to think that this might be a project that needs to be done as one of the final steps.  That way, there won't be any kind of conflict between my work and the work of others.

Sorry about the weird name of the file as well. 

AttachmentSize
Plain text icon doorwaytest.esp19.34 KB
digitalparanoid
Where/How do we see the scene

Where/How do we see the scene ?

Sammybeau
Sammybeau's picture
Oh, sorry, it's in

Oh, sorry, it's in Addamasartus (the Seyda Neen cave).

Josie
Josie's picture
Hey good work so far, I

Hey good work so far, I didn't actually expect this to be implementable! I lolled at the female voice acting though haha.

Sammybeau
Sammybeau's picture
lol, yeah, I'm not exactly

lol, yeah, I'm not exactly cut out for voice acting - especially female voices... 

grumpycat
grumpycat's picture
I didn't even realized you

I didn't even realized you were a dude from that vid! How did you get such a beautiful voice? Jokes aside nice ideas :)

Hyozan
Hyozan's picture
I really like this idea, and

I really like this idea, and I'd love to help with it if you'll let me. I've been trying to find something I can do to help with development, but my limited skills don't cut it in any area. This mod is what made me try playing morrowind (I had only played skyrim up until now), and I really love the story. It's got much more lore in it than I thought it would, and unlike skyrim, I've found myself spending hours just reading the in-game books. Problem is, the characters are too stiff, and the lack of animations and voice acting made the interactions a little boring. On a side note, the lack of fast travel frustrated me to no end. :P

As I've been playing through, I've been imagining skyrim-esque in-game cutscenes and events during different parts of the main quest, and I've been automatically coming up with ideas for them that won't break the lore or feel, but will offer a more immersed and enjoyable scene than what morrowind could offer. Problem is, I know nothing of programming, especially this stuff, so I've started practicing with the creation kit. Is there any advice you guys can give a beginner that really wants to help? Also, sorry for the long post, I had a lot to say.

stijmunkey
stijmunkey's picture
Contributor
Donor
If you guys do go ahead with
If you guys do go ahead with this, which I'm all for, we need to work something out so I can get all your dialogue, I'll need the npc who's doing the talking what they say and the name for the voice file so I can get them voice acted
Araedi
Araedi's picture
I really like this idea, and

I really like this idea, and it's great that you're willing to help the project.

Is it possible for anyone to upload a video of the cave encounter?

grumpycat
grumpycat's picture
Hey Hyozan, we all start with

Hey Hyozan, we all start with limited skills, and it doesn't take very long before suddenly you're proficient!

Obviously if you can put your ideas into the post that is a good start. Otherwise you could also concentrate on NPCs and quests in Creation Kit to give you a focus. I'd try out the tutorial here : http://www.creationkit.com/Bethesda_Tutorial_Planning_the_Quest

Sammybeau
Sammybeau's picture
@Hyozan It would be really

@Hyozan It would be really cool if we could get a team together to accomplish this task, but as of right now cinematics are not the highest priority and are not yet a fully organized concept.  However, if you wish to study up on how to create a scene, this is the tutorial that gave me the most help http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qfcet5hf5bs This tutorial is for starting a quest, so you won't have to worry about a lot of quest related material, but the scene part of it is very helpful.

@stijmunkey If the cinematics idea goes through, we will definitely need to find a way to organize what voice files are needed.  As of right now, I am recording the voices myself through the CK (I believe it gives you an error if there is no voice or lip file to go along with the dialogue).  I'm not exactly sure how to put the new voice files into the scene, as I have no experience with that.

I hope to continue practicing and putting new ideas together, but I am pretty busy for the next couple of weeks, so don't expect too much progress. 

lifelong
lifelong's picture
Donor
Fighters guild buildings have

Fighters guild buildings have those rooms with the target dummies and the mats for fighting on but nobody uses them. The target dummies are easy, just put an idle marker or something there but the members should have little sparring bouts with each other. Maybe some of them challenge you like the orc chieftains in Skyrim. Could reward a couple fame points after you beat a few people

LASentry
LASentry's picture
Donor
Yes, for example, Whiterun

Yes, for example, Whiterun and the family feud. Solitude and the execution, Dawnstar (I think) with the people complaining

TheTailsEffect
TheTailsEffect's picture
With regards to cutscenes.

With regards to cutscenes. How is the Morrowind opening scene going to be handled? With the woman telling you your destiny etc.

I really need to get this downloaded so I can check these things myself xD

Twisted Logic
Twisted Logic's picture
LASentry made an updated

LASentry made an updated version with Skywind. And it's not a Wise Woman talking to you, but Azura herself. :)

TheTailsEffect
TheTailsEffect's picture
Gah, I knew that It's been a

Gah, I knew that ;) It's been a while since I played the game, I still remember when my brother bought it for me in like 2006, I thought it was brand new ^.^

I love em all and seeing Morrowind given the update is deserves is so warming :D

LASentry
LASentry's picture
Donor
Yeah I need to do a version 2

Yeah I need to do a version 2 though :P

goeagles5
goeagles5's picture
Figured out how to get the

Figured out how to get the daedric text LASentry?

LASentry
LASentry's picture
Donor
Yes I have the font but I

Yes I have the font but I don't know what is says, so at the moment I can't make it the exact same... do you know?

Twisted Logic
Twisted Logic's picture
The Daedric text is "The

The Daedric text is "The Stranger", the Nerevarine prophecy. Even if you can't read Daedric, the last line is translated during the original cinematic: "Many fall, but one remains."

I don't remember if there's more than just the poem, but if you post the image I can translate for you.

LASentry
LASentry's picture
Donor
Ok cool, I'll get on it later

Ok cool, I'll get on it later :)

digitalparanoid
just fyi, it is already

just fyi, it is already configured so that if you copy your morrowind's mw_intro.bik in skyrim\data\video, it will play when you start a new game. We just don't package it for legal reasons. Also there is an HD remake on morrowind nexus.

english version http://morrowind.nexusmods.com/mods/39329/?

iceflame542
iceflame542's picture
Contributor
What about the patrols from

What about the patrols from Skyrim? Like how you see thalmor or imperials walking with a prisoner, what if there was a slave caravan or something in Skywind that you could interfere with?

LASentry
LASentry's picture
Donor
That'd be cool

That'd be cool

NeighborhoodNerd
NeighborhoodNerd's picture
I really like the slave

I really like the slave caravan idea. It just adds more immersion to Morrowind that wasn't possible at the time of it's release but could totally be there now. Any type of interactions like that would be cool. Just random Dunmer herding Guar/Netch, Random runaway slaves asking for protections (kinda like the thief that runs up and asks you to hold the hunters stolen item in skyrim) you can either help the slave or turn him/her in, traveling ashlander nomads searching for a new camp with all their gear and stuff. So many things that could be done to make exploring and roaming more exciting other than just random creature encounters. 

Serithi
Serithi's picture
I agree. While obviously the

I agree. While obviously the goal is to bring back as much of Morrowind as possible, there's still those areas where we can and should expand upon, bring in new stuff that just wasn't really possible with vanilla Morrowind but still fits right in. Stuff like, yeah, the patrols, multiple models for the same creatures, etc..