Pages

583 posts / 0 new
Last post
idontknowwhatto...
idontknowwhattocallmyself's picture
hello skywind music

hello skywind music composers. I really would like to make beautiful orchestral pieces but the MIDI files of Logic pro 9 is not sufficient for making believable strings etc. so would any of you be willing to share what programs you use? 

Sharm
Sharm's picture
Hiya, I am so excited to read

Hiya, I am so excited to read that you enjoyed my songs and Devin, I am also extremely enthusiastic about singing in a faux language and with simple Ohhs and Ahhs. I did a whole series of songs called Vocal Strudels which is just that, I just love the way it sounds and the atmosphere the different vocal sounds make.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvTPCIcPf70 (Example)

I am not experienced with Daedric but that does not mean I would be opposed to the idea, in fact, I would embrace it as a challenge and would be excited to see how it worked out.

If any of you have any samples of music you are working on at the moment that you would like me to rest some vocals on, please feel free to send them on over to me sharm at arcanewhispers dot net and I will have a play around. Also if you have any Daedric for me to practice with I'd appreciate it very much!

lvidmar
lvidmar's picture
idontknowwhattocallmyself (an

idontknowwhattocallmyself (and everyone I guess).

There are a LOT of virtual instruments for digital audio workstations (like Logic Pro 9) on the market. It depends on how much money you are willing to spend. However, there is this free orchestral library that at least I think is the best free library. It's called Sonatina Symphonic Orchestra. If you know what you are doing, it sounds good.

Example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2m2OSNqFhl8

If you want to spend oodles and oodles of money, you could look into programs that I really recommend:

The Hollywood series of instruments by EastWest
EastWest Quantum Leap Symphonic Orchestra
Anything made by the company ProjectSAM (especially Symphobia)
Heavyocity Damage and Aeon (Maybe not for this project, but still pretty cool)
To use most of these, you'd probably need Kontakt Player too, which is more money. Or I think there's a free version, but I don't know if it allows you to use any of these.
And there's more VST's, and I know people would disagree with me. The instruments that come with the full versions of Sibelius and Finale are alright too with tweaking. Just gotta look around. To each their own.

idontknowwhatto...
idontknowwhattocallmyself's picture
thanks a lot for the advices

thanks a lot for the advices lvidmar, i will try Sonatina Symphonic Orchestra and see if i can get anything decent out of it :) 

BausicProductions
BausicProductions's picture
I expanded the former cave

I expanded the former cave theme a little bit. Is it suitable for anything in the game?  Let me know ;)

AttachmentSize
Audio icon dark%20tavern%20theme.mp37.26 MB
DevinPolaski
DevinPolaski's picture
I use Logic Pro X, which uses

I use Logic Pro X, which uses about the same built-in VSTs as Logic Pro 9. You can get them to sound great with a little tweaking. Would you like to upload a sample, and I could give you my two cents on how to improve it?

Therion_Prime
Therion_Prime's picture
I wanted to make a real

I wanted to make a real exotic ambience track. So I took my microphone and recorded various things in my kitchen :-D The "instruments" in this short preview are:

an egg beater

the tube of a vacuum cleaner

a wineglass

a pot

a cheese grater

an emty can

an emty winebottle

an egg slicer

and the creaking of my office chair

lol

AttachmentSize
Audio icon skywind_dagoth_rising_2.mp31.15 MB
BausicProductions
this is genius

this is genius :D

BausicProductions
We should really organize the

We should really organize the composers in a skype group or something

Therion_Prime
Therion_Prime's picture
Who needs sample libraries,

Who needs sample libraries, lol.

Try playing it in a loop - and if you're from Colorado --> get stoned and have fun 

DevinPolaski
DevinPolaski's picture
Hah! This is really cool. I

Hah! This is really cool. I agree; pretty much any interesting sound you need can be found lying around your house + a little boost from some plugin.

DevinPolaski
DevinPolaski's picture
Agreed - or some other social

Agreed - or some other social network. Or even email would be good, too.

lvidmar
lvidmar's picture
lol, this is sound design at

lol, this is sound design at it's finest.

Twisted Logic
Twisted Logic's picture
Unfortunately, there is no

Unfortunately, there is no daedric language for you to write in, both because one has not been constructed and the daedra are just as culturally diverse as morals. There is, however, a (currently limited) Aldmeris, the root language of Dunmeris being constructed on TIL, which you could use (with his permission, of course).

I can't link on my tablet because this text editor is VERY unfriendly to mobile devices, so here's the URL: http://www.imperial-library.info/content/hrafnirs-languages-...

Tajnarasha
Tajnarasha's picture
Sharm The strudel was very

Sharm

The strudel was very atmospheric and appropriate for what we'd like to use your vocals for. I actually did a bit of searching regarding the Daedric language but came up empty for a solid guide on how to pronounce it. It seems to be limited to a written language in TES, which puts a halt on that endeavor unless someone manages to find something concrete - maybe Mr. Kirkbride could help us in that department! I'd like to direct your vocals towards a similar feel than we are with the rest of our music, that is atmospheric, oriental and tribal. Vocally I think Halo has some good points of reference within its soundtrack that could be useful to you. See; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3QlEgnrcdk

Bausic

The part starting 2:00 and onward would be perfect for a the Camonna Tong's taverns and headquarters. The melody was very fitting for this guild. If you could create a theme around this part of the song and extend it, rather than have the quieter part of the song evolve into this I think we'd have a very good track. I also prefer the guitar rather than the piano - it really gives this one an air of mystery. 

Therion

Color me impressed. You created a really decent ''horn call'' sound in this track. Mind making a submission in the SFX board with this? It would be nice to have every element you've put in this separated as well so we could use them for ambient effects. 

This thread also covers the needs of the music department for the time being. Everything is able to be centralized here and we haven't grown wide enough as our own department to really warrant a sub-sub chat. If a few composers who are collaborating with each other want to set something up together I encourage them to share contact information in order to communicate more easily. I want things to stay visible and public in order for everyone to get as much feedback and direction as possible. ;)

Therion_Prime
Therion_Prime's picture
Tajnarasha

Tajnarasha wrote:

Therion

Color me impressed. You created a really decent ''horn call'' sound in this track. Mind making a submission in the SFX board with this?

Lol, you mean the vacuum cleaner tube? I'll look into it tomorrow.

Sharm
Sharm's picture
I'd like to add that I think

I'd like to add that I think an email group would be great (or google docs?) as we can share songs and hop on/edit/modify/give our constructive criticisms to each others work.

CyberLemur
CyberLemur's picture
Hi everyone, I've been

Hi everyone,

I've been writing music for a while now and, as Morrowind was one of the first games I really got into, I'd love the chance to get involved with composing some stuff for Skywind!

I've put together two rough ideas - they're not mixed properly yet, and are probably a bit long, but hey...

Nocturne is a quiet, slightly minimal piece intended as a sort of nighttime ambience that slowly builds up and then dies down again, with a pretty general orchestral kind of feel.

Sixth House is (obviously) inspired by the Sixth House and could mostly work as a dungeon track, although I started experimenting with some drums towards the end so I'd probably have to rework it if it were to find its way ingame. I used a lot of Tibetan and Japanese temple bells and gongs in this one, along with some wind chimes and things, to try and give the Sixth House a slightly distinctive sound that still fit in with the Eastern elements of the music. 

Hope you guys enjoy :)

AttachmentSize
Audio icon Sixth%20House_0.mp313.13 MB
Audio icon Nocturne_0.mp314.04 MB
Harry Andre
Harry Andre's picture
Hello hello! Welcome to the

Hello hello! Welcome to the newest musicians. 
Here's the version of my track with "The Road Most Traveled" transcribed. It's not in the original key so that it could fit with my piece, but I think it's pretty nice. It still has some mixing issues but not a big deal I think. Of course, I will fix all of them if you think it could work!

Also, that idea about lyrics in Daedric is awesome! And I also have a few friends who could probably sing if I ask them to. One male and three female voices! We could have a small choir :) but we'll see...

sbeast
sbeast's picture
Hey all, I watched the recent

Hey all, I watched the recent development video on youtube and was impressed with what you guys have made so far and wanted to contribute some music towards the project.

I came up with a couple of songs with an eastern vibe to them. I've played Skyrim a lot, but I'm not too familiar with Morrowind locations so I don't know the best place for them to go.

"Explore Theme" - I think this would be better suited for exploring landscapes (mountains/forests e.t.c)

https://soundcloud.com/sbeast/explore-theme/s-WgORP

"Eastern Undertones" - Ambient styled song but with some background percussion. Also there are hints of the The Elder Scrolls main theme melody. Could be used for a town/city.

https://soundcloud.com/sbeast/eastern-undertones/s-dyv5h

I'm happy to make changes here and there or extend certain parts if needs be. All feedback welcome.

Sbeast (real name Scott)

BausicProductions
okay I centered the track

okay I centered the track around the part from 2:00 and removed the piano:

AttachmentSize
Audio icon cave%20theme%20II.mp34.12 MB
Tajnarasha
Tajnarasha's picture
CyberLemur Nocturne isn't a

CyberLemur

Nocturne isn't a bad start for a night piece. I'm not too certain about the main theme you incorporated in there however, it sounded far more heavily synthetic than the rest of the song. The Elder Scroll pieces after the main theme were very well implemented on the other hand. The high-pitched bell is also screeching rather than a chime, which I'm thinking is something that would be more appropriate for the song. It's especially distracting (and painful) in the first parts of the song. Overall this is very pretty and should be worked a little more to sound a little more natural. Remove that screech though, seriously.  

The Sixth House song was very interesting. I like your uses of bells especially as they are objects we tend to see in their bases. Try to not have too sudden of changes for music this scary as it makes the scene a lot more jumpy than it should for exploration music. I'm not especially fond of the screeching here either. Try to work on the bells a lot more to make your song as I thought that was very well done. Can't have the song evolve into a combat song half-way through either :P

Harry

I RECOGNIZE THIS! Well this is a really good take on Soule's theme. The part starting at 1:30 onward was extremely well done especially. Ideally if we're to transcribe Soule's pieces I'd like the main rift to really go all the way and sound as majestic as he renders it. I'd suggest you talk to Teslightreturn about this as he may have some more in-depth tricks of the trade to share with you.

Sbeast

Welcome and thanks for your samples! I'd urge you to listen to Morrowind's soundtrack before undertaking a project as it will give you clues as to where we want to go musically with this project. We really want to respect Soule's style of music while incorporating eastern and tribal elements in our music, rather than the other way around. While your music is very well done, it doesn't really fall in line with the more meditative and subtle work by Jeremy Soule in Morrowind. Feel free to listen to some of the submissions by our other members in the original post as well :)

Bausic

I really like it! The background/ambient elements at the start are a little inappropriate for a tavern but once those are removed I'd be ready to give it a spot for the Camonna Tong :)

BausicProductions
okay I removed the

okay I removed the soundeffect ;)

AttachmentSize
Audio icon camonna.mp34.12 MB
Tajnarasha
Tajnarasha's picture
BausicProductions wrote: okay

BausicProductions wrote:

okay I removed the soundeffect ;)

Amazing! I really, really like what we have so far. The song is a little bit on the short side of things. Try to expand it to something closer to 3 or 4 minutes ;) 

Harry Andre
Harry Andre's picture
Um, 1:30 - 2:00 is not

Um, 1:30 - 2:00 is not transcribed. The transcribed parts are 1:03 - 1:30 and 2:00 till the end (the ending is a bit different). That's what I thought you wanted transcribed! :)
Also, when you say "as majestic as he renders it" you mean instrumentation-wise, or eq/mix-wise? I'd like to know what to ask Teslightreturn.

Tajnarasha
Tajnarasha's picture
I could have sworn you

I could have sworn you combined one of Morrowind's tracks with another by Soule. Either way, that part of my critique was very much to commend you on how well you made that segment of your song. What I mean by majestic is that Soule seemed to be bringing a few more instruments near the end (and crescendo) of 1:03 - 1:30 with an overall bigger arrangement than what you were using. Since this is one of Morrowind's well-known and well-loved theme, I think it may be appropriate to emphasize it even further. Let's give it a shot for now and tone it down if it becomes too ridiculous. ;)

Harry Andre
Harry Andre's picture
Well, it feels great to have

Well, it feels great to have made something that reminds you of Soule's music! :D I see what you mean, I think it's a great idea. I'll try it! But I'm also starting the battle theme. I have more time now and I can't wait any longer haha :P

DevinPolaski
DevinPolaski's picture
Nice stuff coming in, Harry

Nice stuff coming in, Harry and Bausic!

I've got two new tracks as well. First up is the Grazelands, which I modeled fairly closely to an existing Morrowind soundtrack. As always, it's currently on the shortside, but will be expanded in time: https://soundcloud.com/devin-polaski/grazelands-skywind-devin

And next is something I think could work for the Dwemer ruins. It's basically a choir only, but at the 45 second mark it gets huge with many more voices and strings: https://soundcloud.com/devin-polaski/dwemer-ruins-skywind-de...

Next up, I'll be working on something for Sharm to sing to. 

FlaviusD
FlaviusD's picture
Donor
Like the choral theme of

Like the choral theme of Dwemer ruins track. Planning on layering in any "Dwemerish" sounds? I remember exploring Dwemer ruins in Morrowind where the machinery and mechanical noises were your soundtrack, would be cool to explore that!

Tajnarasha
Tajnarasha's picture
Devin   I like your
Devin   I like your Grazeland submission especially once the strings start to kick in. I think the beginning part up until 0:43 would be better suited to a night time song. Don't forget to look at our landscapper's work to really see how the Grazelands look now. I think they're shooting for an almost savannah look. Try to incorporate some elements that could mesh well with that in mind.   While I like the idea of some sort of minimal hymn for the Dwemer ruins since they are basically the graves of an ancient civilization, I thought this would sound a little out of place in the heavily mechanized bastions of the race. I could see this fitting the Ghostgate or Vivec (the god) like a glove though!   Flavius   I understand what you mean, but at the same time incorporating mechanical elements in the music made certain sounds very repetitive. I personally believe it would be better to work on the SFX side of the ruins to provide these sounds, while focusing the music on - well - music :P
FlaviusD
FlaviusD's picture
Donor
Touche, great point Taj! I

Touche, great point Taj! I yield to your expertise haha.  I will be interested to hear all those SFX layered on top none-the-less :)

BausicProductions
I made an exploration theme

I made an exploration theme with strings and english horn (this is just a rough sketch) i would be glad if you could give me some advice what I could improve ;)

---> https://soundcloud.com/nicklas-bauske/string-dynamics-test

also, I expanded the camonna theme to like 3:48 so check that out ;)

AttachmentSize
Audio icon camonna_0.mp38.57 MB
plektron
plektron's picture
hey guys.. i had a new idea

hey guys.. i had a new idea today. give it a listen! thanks : )

https://soundcloud.com/andy-lesmana/exploration_the_traveller

cheers

andy

Sharm
Sharm's picture
Awesome Devin I am looking

Awesome Devin I am looking forward to it.

Tajnarasha
Tajnarasha's picture
Bausic Congrats on securing a

Bausic

Congrats on securing a track for the Camonna Tong taverns ;)

Your strings were a good start. I thing a few of the bass notes were a little on the obviously synthetic side of things since they were so constant. It seemed like they were implemented in rather than played, which does a lot for the believability of how natural your music sounds. For a first attempt I'll say that was pretty good. Talk to Teslightreturn, Devin and Therion more specific direction. Since they have hands-on experience with composition they will be able to give you better input than me on this matter. 

Plektron

That is a very good submission! I'm not sure how appropriate the cymbals are however. They're a little too prominent in the end and distract us away from the beautiful melody near the end. Try removing them or replacing them with a drum as I feel they would compliment it better and bring the piece more in line with the others that have been submitted so far. 

plektron
plektron's picture
Sweet ;)  I'll take a look at

Sweet ;)  I'll take a look at the cymbals later on

CyberLemur
CyberLemur's picture
I've updated the two tracks I

I've updated the two tracks I submitted - Nocturne has been tweaked in various places, and I've entirely reworked the ending of Sixth House to make it a lot more chilled. I'm also using the original percussive ending to create a combat-oriented track, though that's nowhere near finished yet - might be in a day or two though!

AttachmentSize
Audio icon Sixth%20House.mp311.83 MB
Audio icon Nocturne.mp314.14 MB
Tajnarasha
Tajnarasha's picture
CyberLemur Good improvement

CyberLemur

Good improvement on Nocturne. The trombone (?) starting 3:55 was a good way to emphasize the melody however it sounds very mechanical. Be careful to make sure your instruments sound natural or otherwise it pulls away from the immersion. Up to that point I really liked everything you put in there. The piano isn't a typical instrument for Morrowind but you made this work beautifully. Try to get better samples for the wind instruments and this will be able to get a spot as a night track.

Listening to the Sixth House song again, I'm not huge on the strings that start at 1:05, and would rather keep to a low percussion and bell melody as I feel the rumble from the drums and the bells evoque a lot more presence of the Sixth House than a creepy song. In this case I truly believe that less is more. Try it out :)

Antti_Mikael
Antti_Mikael's picture
Hi everybody! Here's my new

Hi everybody!

Here's my new composition for Sheogorad daytime exploring called Light feet: https://soundcloud.com/anttimikael/light-feet

It's a harmonious and lively piece like many Soule's exploration tracks, but I added some darker and mysterious shades to hint that something's a bit off (just your regular giant mushrooms and stuff).

Comments are welcome, as always.

Greetings,
Antti

plektron
plektron's picture
sooo i removed the cymbals

sooo i removed the cymbals entirely at the end but i left this "asian" percussion (i dunno what it's called honestely) in the part before at 1:32 to 1:58. I just felt that some percussion had to stay there but yeah tell me what you think.

https://soundcloud.com/andy-lesmana/exploration_the_traveller_2

jmack227
jmack227's picture
I;ve been messing around with

I;ve been messing around with Ableton and FL Studio demos, and listening to yalls stuff makes me want to quit, that being said I guess sense I'm a noob with DAW I'll keep it simple with Tavern songs and what have you, hope to show you something new with in a week.

Liz Katrin
Liz Katrin's picture
Contributor
Hello everybody! My name is

Hello everybody!

My name is Liz Katrin.

Singing, composing music and lyrics have always been my great passions. I am a mezzosoprano with stage experience (opera, alternative rock, metal, folk) and I also play guitar and keyboard. If you are interested, you’re welcome to listen to some of my pieces at https://myspace.com/lizkatrin

Fantasy books, comics and games have always fascinated and inspired me to create my music. Morrowind has inspired me to create this song. I think it would fit the Dunmer Ashlands but I leave it to you to decide…

/files/Lisek/files/140116_skywind_lizkatrin.wav

Tajnarasha
Tajnarasha's picture
Antti Thanks for your

Antti

Thanks for your submission! It's well done - the playfulness of the track makes it sound a little more appropriate for the Ascadian Isles than it would Sheogorad though. Sheogorad is a place of fog and rock, think of it like the British Isles in a way in terms of geography and climate. Rain and overcast days are common place there, and it is inhabited primarely by nords. Overall the music attached to this area wouldn't be as joyful as what you have composed. THAT SAID - your track is beautiful. 

Plektron

I like this track. Something about it really screams Oblivion to me  - I think the type of harp you're using specifically. The melody itself is gorgeous but I'm wondering how it would sound with a different harp?

Lisek

Welcome - and wow! I absolutely love your voice! This is exactly the type of vocals we're looking for to give some of our tracks an appropriately tribal and mystical feel to them. I can see your voice being important for a lot of tracks concerning Azura and the Ashlanders. If you haven't already, I'd urge you to talk to some of our composers as they may be able to collaborate with you to write music that will truly amplify what we can do with the soundtrack. 

Dragomir
Dragomir's picture
Contributor
Lisek wrote:Morrowind has

Lisek wrote:

Morrowind has inspired me to create this song. I think it would fit the Dunmer Ashlands but I leave it to you to decide…

This is absolutely stunning. I can't stop listening to it, hypnotic. I have so many ideas on how to expand it as well! Wrote you a PM, hopefully we can discuss it soon ;)

Reminds me very much of my favourit game soundtrack of all time - Atlantis: The Lost Tales. It is often my source of inspiration aside from Soule, and really fits Morrowind's dreamy/ethnic athmosphere. You've just captured the very same magic with your voice, really looking forward to hearing more of it!

JBMAC911
JBMAC911's picture
Hello everyone. I just wanted

Hello everyone. I just wanted to post my combat music piece. This is close to completion, however, it is not mastered yet. There are a few tweaks that I will be making in the coming days as well. I hope you all like it, and I look forward to comments about it. Thanks 

teslightreturn
teslightreturn's picture
Bravo JBMAC, that is one hell

Bravo JBMAC, that is one hell of a fantastic combat track you've got there! 

Here's a bit of what I've been cooking up recently. Im still toying around a bit with some of the transitions, mainly I need to add the woodwind section and figure out what to do for the middle/ending sections. It goes somewhere you might not expect  

Comments please!!

AttachmentSize
Audio icon Skywind%20Action%201%20v1.3.mp37.16 MB
plektron
plektron's picture
wow nice work both of you!

wow nice work both of you! those combat tracks are awesome! although almost too epic in my opinion for simply killing mudcrabs : D. guess the drums are doing a lot of this epicness. for harder foes alright, yes i wanna smash the shit out of them while listening to this music!

Dragomir
Dragomir's picture
Contributor
Both your action pieces are

Both your action pieces are really good :D They both include pretty exciting percussion, but still stay true to Soule's style of composing. I think they will both fit perfectly!

Antti_Mikael
Antti_Mikael's picture
Tajnarasha Thanks for your

Tajnarasha

Thanks for your comments! Would you consider the track for Ascadian Isles or other areas then? I can give another go for Sheogorad and I can definitely go more cloudy. I just steered away from it on Light Feet as OST isn't particularly moody or melancholic. Nords, right? Suits me, sir

Lisek

Very impressive! There's really a hypnotic quality in your voice. I especially liked Negra Sombra and Elbereth on your MySpace. Singer who can do both Sindarin and flamenco, well that's something special! If you're interested, check some of my previous work on https://soundcloud.com/anttimikael and let's see if we can do something.

Liz Katrin
Liz Katrin's picture
Contributor
Tajnarasha wrote: Welcome -

Tajnarasha wrote:

Welcome - and wow! I absolutely love your voice! This is exactly the type of vocals we're looking for to give some of our tracks an appropriately tribal and mystical feel to them. I can see your voice being important for a lot of tracks concerning Azura and the Ashlanders. If you haven't already, I'd urge you to talk to some of our composers as they may be able to collaborate with you to write music that will truly amplify what we can do with the soundtrack.

---------------------

Thanks Tajnarasha  I am happy to hear you like my voice and the mood of my 'windy' song...

Dragomir has already spoken to me about collaboration, so we will see what happens next I am always open to cooperate with creative musicians...

Cheers!
@)-,-'-----
Liz Katrin (vel Lisek)

Pages

Topic locked