Pages

583 posts / 0 new
Last post
lvidmar
lvidmar's picture
Yes, a google doc or some

Yes, a google doc or some email coordination even would be nice to see who's involved and who's working on what. This is getting a little confusing. But it's really awesome to see that a lot of people are interested.

danielcain
danielcain's picture
Hello everyone, I'm Daniel...

Hello everyone, I'm Daniel... I've done music scoring for some commercials and other small indie film projects. Before that I was in bands for many years.

I read about the Skywind project and watched the developers diary last night and composed to pieces of music. 

Morrowind was a huge game for me because I stumbled across it at a time in my life when a band I'd worked on for many years had a deal we were working on with a label fall through, and I was trying to figure out what to do with my life, and escaped into the world of Morrowind which was a much needed break from the stress and depression I was going through. Morrowind and Clint Mansell's score to Requiem for a Dream were a huge inspiration to me to move into doing more music scoring.

I'd love to work on this project and contribute, as I agree with the initial post that the atmosphere of this game is heavily dependent upon the soundtrack. There is some great stuff already. 

Here are two things I composed between last night and this morning, they aren't really mastered or compressed or EQed at all, as I just wanted to share and get some direction on what you think and what else you'll need. I can also record live voices if there are going to be any "choral" singing, so isn't purely a sample and sounds more natural between myself and other singers I know in Los Angeles, and I've got some acoustic drums and other acoustic instruments (nylon string guitar, or am thinking of picking up a Ronroco which is what was used in the last of us score which is a Peruvian / Bolivian nylon stringed instrument)

https://soundcloud.com/daniel-cain-7/skywind-score-idea-1

https://soundcloud.com/daniel-cain-7/skywind-score-idea-2

I also have some questions about the engine as I haven't worked in the mod directly... Are you just taking a single two track of the music, or do you want multiple tracks / loops that can be dynamically changed based on game interaction? 

Hope you enjoy the music, and I look forward to hearing from you and collaborating to make something special. I've been having a hard time accessing this website (google keeps saying it is not available...) so if there is any convenient way to contact via email that would be great.

Tajnarasha
Tajnarasha's picture
Kozydude Welcome! This is an

Kozydude

Welcome! This is an interesting track you submitted however it is not fitting for the title screen. We really want an interpretation of ''Nerevar Rising'' from the original game's main screen to take this spot. Anything else would be inappropriate ;)

I highly encourage you to listen to Morrowind's OST before tacking on a track - it will really help telling you the sort of direction we want to go in.

Devin & Ividmar

I will write up a google doc shortly to organize the list a little better for our contributors. I will also attempt to work in CK as well to get a more accurate depiction of what tracks we will need, and how far we can push the musical elements in-game as well. 

Daniel

Welcome and thanks for your samples! I especially like the prospect of you providing some vocals to our tracks. I'd absolutely encourage you to talk to people like Teslightreturn, Therion and Devin to see if you could coordinate your talent with theirs to make some truly epic tracks. While we have talented composers with sick programs, nothing will beat a legitimate choir when it comes to vocals - this means we could even attempt to write some lyrics in Dunmeri as well! 

In terms of the music, we will be able to set tracks per regions - which can be set to change depending on the day/night cycles, when enemies are alerted to the player's presence (in danger) and when you are in combat. We will need a healthy amount of material in order to keep exploration consistent and avoid repetition while also being able to change the music depending on the events in game.  

jmack227
jmack227's picture
Perhaps maybe someone start a

Perhaps maybe someone start a Facebook group where all sound/composers can join? The voice actors seemed to have done that.

Manimarco Devil
Manimarco Devil's picture
Hey guys, I'm new here. I

Hey guys, I'm new here. I unfortunately am not any good at music but just wanted to say that TeSlightreturn's music is beyond amazing. In addition to his Skyrim explore track, I found this

https://soundcloud.com/teslightreturn/the-arid-trek

With minor tweaks, I thought it would be a great ash vampire boss track. Wonder what you guys think and if we should ask him if we can use it.

Kozydude
Kozydude's picture
Thanks for the info, i will

Thanks for the info, i will try to make something new that references the original theme. Just wondering, is their any original music that you need that doesn't have to reference the older score? I have alot of Ambient tunes that i am trying to save for Movie/Video Game soundtracks. Also, is Mastering an requirement on are part or do you guys have engineers for that? I don't mind mixing, but mastering can be time consuming, especially since i am working on other projects.

Zenaki
Zenaki's picture
Hey again everyone! I've been

Hey again everyone! I've been busy since I last wrote but I've had some time to start on something new. I think this might fit more into the theme, perhaps that the first part is more Skyrimish tho.

https://soundcloud.com/christiannilsson89/shortcut/s-WIGhd

BausicProductions
BausicProductions's picture
hey guys,my name is Nick and

hey guys,my name is Nick and I'm new to this community but I would like to contribute my musical ideas to your project. I am composing mainly in the epic and trailer genre but I'm quite flexible in terms of musical styles

the first track is composed for combat and it isn't a classical elder scrolls track but I think it fit's the "tribal" mood that was requested:

https://soundcloud.com/nicklas-bauske/fanmade-morrowind-battle-theme

the second one is an interior/tavern theme. It has much lower quality than the first one (it's quite old) and I plan to do a remake with better samples (east-west/quantum leap) but I think you can get the idea of it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLEfzG2YP1k

this is a track which can be used for trailers (it has the style of a main menu theme but I think you are going to use "Nerevar rising"):  https://soundcloud.com/nicklas-bauske/random-main-menu-theme...

I also made a short and calm exploration theme, maybe for a cave or a forest : https://soundcloud.com/nicklas-bauske/calm-exploration-theme

PS: Sorry if I made any mistakes I'm German ;)

Gaite
Gaite's picture
Hello everyone,  Was trying

Hello everyone, 

Was trying to post this to the music forums, but it kept triggering the spam filter.  Just want to let you know that I love this project and would be very interested to contribute my skills if you still need a composer!  I'll try to include what I can here:

I recently graduated from the University of Maryland, CP with a Masters of Music degree in Piano Performance.  I have also, however, studied composition extensively during my undergraduate and graduate years and I continue to write new music.  I recently worked with David Arkenstone (composer for World of Warcraft, among other games) on an arrangement of his work for the UMD Gamer Symphony Orchestra, and continue to write and arrange for them as well as the Washington Metro GSO.

I believe I tend to write in a style that would be conducive to Skywind.  I will try to include some samples if the site lets me.  Quick disclaimer: the following samples were written using Sibelius 7.  While it's a great program for notation, the quality of sound leaves a lot to be desired.  I am currently working on obtaining Cinesamples software for a more finished-product mastered sound.

https://soundcloud.com/nrgpiano/sunless-citadel-main-theme

https://soundcloud.com/nrgpiano/title-theme

https://soundcloud.com/nrgpiano/battle-music

I can include more recordings if I am able to post this.  Let me know what you think and if I'm able to help!

-Nathan Gulla

Harry Andre
Harry Andre's picture
Greetings people! I am Harry

Greetings people!

I am Harry and I really really love Morrowind. I've been checking this thread for about 4 days I think, and I am working on something. When I started it the list with the tasks was empty, so I started creating something for exterior/exploration, with variations of one of my favorite tracks from the original score, "The Road Most Traveled".

Of course, because many talented people showed up and I didn't have as much time as I would like, this field of exterior/exploration seems to be pretty-much under development!

However, since I've done quite some work, I would like to upload my idea, mainly for you guys to listen to it and tell me if it has the quality and feel we need for Skywind.
Then I can change it or create something entirely new if it can't fit in somehow.

I will have something ready later and will post a link here. I just wanted to let you know, especially Devin, teslightreturn and everyone else already working on something. Since you have already tackled some of the areas, maybe you can give me some directions about where to focus mostly.

Really, really REALLY excited to see so many talented fellow composers! :)

DevinPolaski
DevinPolaski's picture
I have finally updated my

I have finally updated my Arcadian Islands track. The part that I have already done remains largely in-tact; still whimsical and bouncy. But then the piece transitions into several micro-songs that more or less follow the same themes, except are at a much slower tempo, and are in more of ethereal, exploration style as per typical Elder Scrolls tracks. Let me know what you think of the additions.

I'm now working on extending Azura's Coast. I'm also looking to tackle the Grazelands next.

DevinPolaski
DevinPolaski's picture
I might also mention I

I might also mention I composed a song about a month ago with no particular purpose in mind, but it actually might fit for Skywind since it has a heavy tribal emphasis. It's starts out explorative, then transitions into a sort of battle theme. Check it out and let me know where you think it might be appropriate.

https://soundcloud.com/devin-polaski/a-stick-to-a-tank-fight

DevinPolaski
DevinPolaski's picture
I might also mention I

I might also mention I composed a song about a month ago with no particular purpose in mind, but it actually might fit for Skywind since it has a heavy tribal emphasis. It's starts out explorative, then transitions into a sort of battle theme. Check it out and let me know where you think it might be appropriate.

https://soundcloud.com/devin-polaski/a-stick-to-a-tank-fight

JBMAC911
JBMAC911's picture
Hello guys, my name is Jacob,

Hello guys, my name is Jacob, and I am currently a college student planning on majoring in Music Composition. I have always loved Bethesda games, especially the Elder Scrolls series. I am also a big fan of Jeremy Soule's work. I would love to help in any way that I can with the music, so here are a couple of demos I came up with.

The first piece was one I wrote for the interiors of Dungeons/Caves. The second one is a very quick demo of some battle music I came up with. I tried to stay to true to Soule's style of work. I look forward to any criticism or feedback, and I hope that I can help out in some way to contribute to this undertaking. Thanks!

AttachmentSize
Audio icon Skywind%20Dungeon%20Music%20(1).mp35.34 MB
Jobe wan kenobi
Jobe wan kenobi's picture
JBMAC911 wrote: Hello guys,

JBMAC911 wrote:

Hello guys, my name is Jacob, and I am currently a college student planning on majoring in Music Composition. I have always loved Bethesda games, especially the Elder Scrolls series. I am also a big fan of Jeremy Soule's work. I would love to help in any way that I can with the music, so here are a couple of demos I came up with.

The first piece was one I wrote for the interiors of Dungeons/Caves. The second one is a very quick demo of some battle music I came up with. I tried to stay to true to Soule's style of work. I look forward to any criticism or feedback, and I hope that I can help out in some way to contribute to this undertaking. Thanks!

I think they both sound really good, the battle music does definitely sound reminiscent of Jeremy Soule's work! :)

Therion_Prime
Therion_Prime's picture
"The Ashlander's Lament" is

"The Ashlander's Lament" is now finished:

http://youtu.be/Wi48sNOPcy8

:-)

Harry Andre
Harry Andre's picture
Alrighty! I finally completed

Alrighty! I finally completed an idea for exploration music. It starts off with an atmospheric, mysterious, Morrowind-like intro and then transitions to a variation of "The Road Most Traveled". It still needs some polishing (dynamics, a few instrument technics here and there, mixing/mastering improvements) but it's pretty-much the basic final result.

I will now work on Tajnarasha's suggestion (whom I thank so much for guiding me while I had no time to keep up with the forum posts). The idea is to actually fully transcribe "The Road Most Traveled" insted of having a variation, and I agree because I love this track! :P 

So, you guys tell me what you think and add ideas for next work! I hope you like it and we can cooperate on more! 

https://soundcloud.com/harryandremusic/from-seyda-neen-to-ba...

DevinPolaski
DevinPolaski's picture
Great stuff, Therion  :)

Great stuff, Therion  :)

Tajnarasha
Tajnarasha's picture
Zenaki This is a very pretty

Zenaki

This is a very pretty track, and it actually incorporates a lot of the elements we want to have in our music. I'd be a little careful about more obviously synthetic sounds; the part from 14 to 22 seconds broke the illusion a little bit for me but otherwise this was a solid piece. I'd try and contact Teslightreturn to see if this could be somehow incorporated into an Ashland ambience track ;)

BausicProductions

Hello there! Your english is impeccable so no worries about being understood. I liked your Calm Exploration piece. I actually think that there's a lot of potential there so you could try and expand on it. Make it follow Morrowind's style a little more with less ''drums of war'' added into it and a little more flow and I believe you'll have a solid song.

Gaite

Welcome, and thanks for the samples! Like you said yourself, these aren't quite up to the cinematic quality standard that we want to accomplish with our music but your experience and schooling will definitely help with composition. I'll be happy to listen to one of your samples once you get your hands on a better program and familiarize yourself with the tools :)

Devin

Great progress on the Ascadian Isle track! If I were to say anything is that the end bit should perhaps sound a little more majestic than haunting. While I like the more ethereal direction you took in the later parts of the song try to get something a little closer so Soule's style rather than going for near-atmospheric. It began to sound like something more appropriate for a dungeon than the seating region of Vivec city. I wasn't as caught up by your ''A stick to a Tank fight'' namely because it didn't follow Soule's style or feel like Morrowind. Can't wait to hear what you'll come up with for the Grazelands ;)

JBMAC911

Wow! That dungeon track absolutely blew me away! I love the foreboding atmosphere here. Since we are going for multiple tracks for dungeons however, I'd like the separate the choir elements from the mechanical elements of your piece, namely so that one can be dedicated more for Tombs and the other for Dwemer ruins. The Elder Scrolls always had a tendency to be more minimalist when it came to their dungeon segments and you are spot on. The combat track was also impeccable, so much so that I'll reserve a spot for it under combat. Expand on it a little more and we'll have a Skywind combat song on our hands! I'll be absolutely looking forward to seeing more from you!

Therion

This is taking a spot for Ashland nights!

Harry

Welcome and thanks for the track! I recognize Soule's theme in there and it's a real blast to the past. I'd like to reference the recognizable pieces of Morrowind's OST from time to time just like this, but please be careful about changing the arrangement and keep to the correct notes to really give it a nod to Soule's previous work ;)

Harry Andre
Harry Andre's picture
Nice to be here

Nice to be here Tajnarasha!

So, a couple of questions about transcribing the music:
1. The original track is in a different key than mine (the original is in Gm while my piece is in Bm). The easiest thing for me to do is to transcribe it but in the key I already have selected. It will still be the original track, just played higher. Is that ok or should I transpose my part lower? I'm only thinking about it because I have selected the key based mostly on the low notes for the choir and low instruments so that they create a haunting feeling but not have too much dominant bass. (which still needs improvement I think).

and 2. The original track has a more peaceful main theme. I assigned the strings a bigger part to make it a little bit more adventurous. Any suggestions here? Should I make it more similar to the original?

Ok, that's all I wanted to ask. Now I just want to say,

Therion, fantastic track, you really captured the essence of Morrowind's music but still managed to add your own style somehow. Great job, I'm sure when we play Skywind your music will be heard and enjoyed! :-)

Devin, your track for Ascadian Isles is great! I really like the part from 2:00 to 3:27 and while I think it doesn't really fit for Ascadian Isles, I think you should totally work on the part from 4:30 to 5:37! Make it longer or something. While listening to it I could very easily imagine walking near some vampiric ruin during a misty night and then 5:38 would be the part when the atmosphere clears and there is this epic Morrowind night sky and the music slowly transitions into something completely caml and you see a town nearby. :D Yeah, I'm a Morrowind maniac! :D Anyways, what I mean is, good job! 

JBMAC911, your dungeon track is so much a dungeon track! I can really tell what you mentioned is true. You are indeed an Elder Scrolls fan! The dynamic expressions of your strings and choir are PERFECT! I hope I can achieve that control some time! I would really like some tips, if you have any. :)

BausicProductions, I loved your Calm Exploration Theme, it has something very epic and bard-like and I think it could even be a theme for a specific town. Caldera or Ebonheart, perhaps.
Though I don't know if there is going to be such thing. But with so much talent around here I think it would be an opportunity for something different. A track for every town, or at least a few important ones!

Everyone else, I hope I find the time to listen to everything you guys. I check the thread very often but don't really manage to listen to everything. However, from what I've heard so far, it seems like there are many many great musicians, and not just for Morrowind-like music! Cheers to all, keep up the good work!

lvidmar
lvidmar's picture
Tomb Music! Hello

Tomb Music!

Hello again.
I've completed an idea for some tomb ambience. I would describe it as a bunch of hell noises, and a cello.
It's not crazily intense, like a horror movie. I just tried to create an environment with sound that I think would fit a tomb setting.
Let me know what you think!

jmack227
jmack227's picture
Heres a little Tavern music

Heres a little Tavern music idea i drummed up, pretty short put I am testing out FL Studio and in the works of purchasing that or cubase, I used some free VSTs and sound fronts...a little rough but I can get better ;)

https://soundcloud.com/jmack227/skywind-tavern-idea

BausicProductions
I think I will concentrate on

I think I will concentrate on these calm exploration tracks then :)

I overworked the exploration track a little bit and removed the drums: https://soundcloud.com/nicklas-bauske/calm-exploration-theme-no

I also made a light-hearted town/tavern theme: https://soundcloud.com/nicklas-bauske/town-tavern-exploratio...

Tajnarasha
Tajnarasha's picture
Ividmar This is a solid

Ividmar

This is a solid dungeon piece. I like the faint horror elements and the foreboding aspect of it. The musical elements are a little more present in this one than I'd like the majority of dungeons to be, however I feel that this could be fitting for locations that have to do with the Sixth House, Blight or Corprus. It could also be a good track #2 for tombs.  

Jmack

Thanks for the submission man! I think the flute bit was a little too classic-fantasy for Morrowind however. Try to remember that this isn't a land where bards will play typical celtic-influenced pieces. Lean a little more towards eastern; a good reference that comes to mind is the movie Hero and the beginning part that happens in a Go house; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeeoEpmyb2Y. This is much closer to something that we would hear in a Morrowind tavern. Enjoy the fight sequence too ;)

Bausic

Removing the drums made a huge difference for your exploration theme! It is already much more appropriate for Morrowind. One part that I'd consider changing would be the flute - it pulls the rest of the song away from the near-meditative quality that it holds up to that point. Maybe try a different instrument or a different sort of arrangement for added variety in that part of the song, or both. The Tavern theme wasn't bad, but again it felt a little too ''western'' for Morrowind. Look at what I posted for Jmack for some direction ;)

BausicProductions
I made 2 new versions, one

I made 2 new versions, one where I replaced the flute with a piano and one where I replaced it with a guitar, maybe that's better ;)

also, I made a battle theme (work in progress) but I think that's too "western" too ^^ https://soundcloud.com/nicklas-bauske/skywind-battle-theme

Jack Neptune Wilson
Jack Neptune Wilson's picture
Hi everyone, I have been

Hi everyone, I have been following this thread for a few days since a friend linked the development video to me. My name is Jack Wilson and i am just finishing up my Bachelor of Music Technology at the conservatorium of music in Brisbane, Australia. iv been working on a little exploration track for Skywind the past couple of days and wanted to post it when it was finished but  thought I better introduce myself before everything is locked in place. Keep in mind the entire piece is very work in progress especially the last min of the track but i feel its certainly at a place where i can share it with you guys. I will be hopefully finishing it off tomorrow, there is a lot of progression and arrangement as well as general midi programming to fix up in it in the last min. You will certainly be hearing more from me in the future. 

https://soundcloud.com/neptunemusic-1/skywind-demo-very-wip

Thanks

Jack Wilson

AttachmentSize
Audio icon SkyWind%20demo%20(very%20wip).mp36.49 MB
DaedricLord
DaedricLord's picture
Hi everyone, Here is my

Hi everyone,

Here is my request to become a team member, I contribute the following works))

Mist from the Depths (dwarven or daedric ruins? ​Tunnels under Mournhold? dark ruins... red mountain region?)

https://soundcloud.com/lukalebanidze/luka-mosf-lebanidze-mist-from

Fair of Souls (shouts are removable, Tunnels under Mournhold? dwarven or daedric ruins)

https://soundcloud.com/lukalebanidze/lukas-mosf-fair-of-souls

Variation on the title

https://soundcloud.com/lukalebanidze/lukas-mosf-morrowind-theme

Tajnarasha
Tajnarasha's picture
Bausic Much better! I'm

Bausic

Much better! I'm actually a little torn about which of the two versions I prefer. I think it would fit really well as a night track. I'm a little biased because I love piano so much as an instrument, but I objectively believe that it sounds better than the version of the song with the guitar. I thinkt the EQ may need to be toned down a little bit for the strings since they start on a little strong in comparison to the melody. It's a little short for now so don't be afraid to expand on this piece to get a proper exploration theme going with variations and different movements. Speak to Teslightreturn to see if he can give you some tips as well - it should help your piece get a more professional finish once you got everything written down. 

Jack Neptune

Welcome! And thanks for the submission - it's nice to see someone with prior experience in the music field. I can see that it's a work in progress but the composition is beautiful. I can definitely hear that it's an Elder Scrolls piece - and a good one - but I am hearing a lot more Oblivion (western) influences in this one than Morrowind. Try working with a few different instruments and give Morrowind's original theme a listen to reference some of Soule's music for that game. 

DeadricLord

Wow! I'm getting a near Dark Souls feeling from Mist from the Depths. This is an absolutely terrifying track. A couple vocal elements sound a little more synthetic than others so it needs a little bit of revision but otherwise I could absolutely see this play somewhere like the Dagoth Ur ruins. Fair of Souls sounded more obviously synthetic and the shouts were overkill - I'd definitely remove those :p

I'm going to be hard to please on the main title theme because of how much of an important song it is so sadly I just don't believe that the quality of the sound in that sample was up to par with what we're looking for as of yet. If you can get better samples and mix/master the song up to par with the stronger submissions we've received I may consider it. I definitely think your strength resides in dungeon music. Try to expand on Mist from the Depths; it was by far your best track. 

lvidmar
lvidmar's picture
Alright, here's the final

Alright, here's the final version of the ambient tomb track: https://soundcloud.com/luke-szumyckyj/skywind-ambient-tomb-m...

​I'm going to get started on another ambient minimalistic track for the darker parts of Morrowind (not sure where yet).
If you have any suggestions, don't hesitate to let me know.

DevinPolaski
DevinPolaski's picture
Got a few things to

Got a few things to share:

Azura's Coast has been updated. Beginning is largely untouched, but the song is now 3x longer with different phrases (basically the same deal for what I did yesterday with Arcadian Isles). The new sections are more minimal, long note chord, exploration-type stuff. Also, I have all of these on Soundcloud now: Azura's Coast: https://soundcloud.com/devin-polaski/azuras-coast-skywind-devin

Next, I took a stab at the battle theme. I know there's been a lot of battle theme submissions, but I figured I'd take a dark tribal approach, along with some light original vocals for a background effect. Let me know what you think, and if it's appropriate: https://soundcloud.com/devin-polaski/battle-theme-skywind-devin

Finally, here's Arcadian Isles again; no changes yet, just put on Soundcloud now: https://soundcloud.com/devin-polaski/arcadian-isles-skywind-...

That's it for now - I am now continuing work on Grazelands...

DevinPolaski
DevinPolaski's picture
Thanks for the feedback! All

Thanks for the feedback! All good points.

Roodypatooty
Roodypatooty's picture
So I have this extremely

So I have this extremely horror filled/ambient track if you guys think you can use it for anything great if not just throwing it out there. 

Also got this short track sounds kind of cool with flutes, honestly I haven't played much of morrowind (will get on that) but these are just a few that I have made that I thought could fit somewhere. Just spitballing here :) 

AttachmentSize
Audio icon Parting%20Ways.mp32.33 MB
Audio icon Horror%20track.mp32.41 MB
Antti_Mikael
Antti_Mikael's picture
Hello everyone, my name is

Hello everyone,

my name is Antti and I've done composing and sound design for about 20 years, 8 years professionally; mainly dance productions, ads and short films. I'm a big fan of the game series and would love to take part on Skywind's soundtrack work, even a small part. I've gone through previous posts and I can feel great dedication here. That's really exciting.

I made this short theme for demonstration: https://soundcloud.com/anttimikael/mountain-passage. It's a theme for a mountain area with some eastern flavors. My inspiration came from the images from SquallyDaBeanz's Molag Amur and Ashlands Preview. You can listen that while watching if you will. Track could be expanded and divided into separate exploring and battle music if seen fit. To enable smooth transitions I think it would be good if most of the theme songs would have matching explore and battle versions.

Here's some of my previous orchestral works on Soundcloud.

I would also be interested to compose some exploring and battle music for a forest areas, if game will have such. Original Morrowind was very rugged, but could someone tell if Skywind will have any more green? At least mods that add leaves and vegetation have been popular.

Feel free to listen and share your thoughts. Thanks!

RynoAcoco
RynoAcoco's picture
Hey everyone. My musical

Hey everyone. My musical background is as a singer/songwriter/guitarist. I'm a big fan of TES series and have been enjoying listening to all of the great compositions on offer here. 

I've created a solo guitar track that might be suited for a tavern, or perhaps as a night theme somewhere. 

Access it here: https://soundcloud.com/the-frog-temple/skywind-1

Feedback appreciated. Willing to work on this track, as well as lend my guitar and perhaps vocal abilities to other composers if desired.. any Dunmer poetry out there in need of a melody??

Tajnarasha
Tajnarasha's picture
Hey Devin, I love your

Hey Devin, I love your exploration track for Azura's coast. I like the movement starting 3:40 onward - some of the strings incorporated later on a maybe a little overdramatic so tone them down a little to keep in with the soothing style of your song. Also they face a little too immediately at the 5:18 bit - to to imitate Soule's style when he really stretches out the notes as much as possible to reintroduce early elements of his music. I think once that is done we can move to the final stages of mastering the song and it should be perfect. Have you shared it with Teslightreturn yet? I'm sure he'd love to hear this :)

My favorite element of your combat theme was the lyrics. The whispery/tribal quality to them is definitely something I'd like to hear in a combat theme although I'd actually prefer deeper, more foreboding percussions from your piece. Also be careful to take good samples for the synthetic vocals because they actually clashed with your much more atmospheric chants. 

Roodypatooty

I like a lot of the elements of your horror track. Obviously we can't have intense musical ''spikes'' but the more subtle string dissonant play is something I'd like to see in a track. Added in with the ambient effect of a dungeon, it could make a very atmospheric and eerie effect. 

It reminded me a lot of the Dead Space OST. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVOm9uY03fs

Antti

Welcome maestro! Thank you for the submission - I'd invite you to talk with Teslightreturn as he may be able to give you more technical information regarding composition. I'd encourage you to listen to Morrowind's original soundtrack as well since it may give you clues into Jeremy Soule's style. I especially liked your soundcloud!

RynoAcoco

Welcome Ryno! Loving the guitar recording! We'd certainly like some variety for our taverns so this is great. Ideally I'd like something a little smoother for a tavern as I could see this style fit well in the house of earthly delights in Suran. 

Created_Entity
Created_Entity's picture
Love Ashlanders' Lament. Very

Love Ashlanders' Lament. Very classy.

DaedricLord
DaedricLord's picture
Tajnarasha Fair of Souls
BausicProductions
Tajnarasha: I expanded it to

Tajnarasha:

I expanded it to something like three minutes, added new melodies and reduced the strings a little bit ;)

PS: You didn't say anything about my exotic battle theme does it sound too "arabic"? https://soundcloud.com/nicklas-bauske/fanmade-morrowind-batt...

AttachmentSize
Audio icon calm%20exploration%20theme.mp37.53 MB
Langotriel
Langotriel's picture
Donor
Hi.. I will be honest, i

Hi.. I will be honest, i don't think i can match the creative force already in place but, if there is anything you like from my samples in my video, then i guess i could make an effort to create something for Skywind. Otherwise, i will just stick to being a voice actor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyKEvveJehI

Harry Andre
Harry Andre's picture
Bausic I love your

Bausic
I love your exploration theme :)

So, I'm working now on Tajnarasha's idea and later today I will also start working on a battle theme too. 

I'd like to understand the plan a little better though. There are many great things already posted and it's not really easy to figure out what to do. For instance, is the music in progress according to the 1st post the final selection, or this is just a plan so that we know what he have an idea about so far?

In other words, is the music selected instantly, or is there a deadline and once we reach it there is going to be a selection among everything that has been created?

It's important to make this clear so that we don't waste time on something already taken. :)

Tajnarasha
Tajnarasha's picture
DaedricLord Your track still

DaedricLord

Your track still sound obviously synthetic. Actually I'm not sure it's any different from the first iteration besides the parts you removed. This will have to be better in order for me to consider it. Like I said your song ''Mist from the depths''  was very good and I'd like you to improve on that one before anything else ;)

Bausic

So sorry that I missed your battle theme! I listened to it and I liked that you incorporated the Morrowind theme in it. Ideally for a Nerevarine-inspired battle-theme however, I'd really want to go the whole way and turn Nerevar Rising into a brilliantly epic piece, a lot like the Dragonborn for Skyrim. I don't want it to be a background element, I want it to be the main element of the song, and that it hits you like a fireball to the face. Your battle theme had too many western elements in it as well - it sounded like something more Imperial-inspired that you would hear in Cyrodiil rather than Morrowind. 

The exploration theme is nice. Maybe it's just me but some of the backing elements after the 2:00 mark turn very creepy - I'd rather have those replaced by something that follows the rest of the song because it turns the otherwise very pretty song into something almost appropriate for a cave. Once that's done I think we'll have something solid ;)

Langotriel

Your examples were actually pretty decent. I like the guitar bits of the second example especially - I could see those being very appropriate for tavern music. Maybe try your hand at something for that? I don't feel that we have enough music for interiors vs. combat or exploration at the moment and those are still very important!

Harry

The first post demonstrates the material we have to cover for music (and even then I'm sure that I've missed some areas). The pieces displayed on there are tracks that I have chosen due to their quality and fitness with what we want for Skywind. As you can probably see from many of my posts, I try to give constructive feedback as much as possible in order to work with artists to offer them a spot on this list. I do not enable everyone as we have many submissions and a limited amount of space for it. We want Skywind to have a soundtrack of the utmost quality and I will not ''instantly'' fill out spaces because they are open. This being said, if a spot is already covered for an a piece comes in that is obviously better it will kick the old submission off the list. As the sound coordinator I am not afraid of stepping on anyone's ego if their material isn't up to par with the standard of the OST. 

The deadline for Skywind is very much ''when it's done''. We will probably have a few beta releases until this point for testing purposes, which means some of the music may make it in early however the final material will not make it in until the full release. We do not have an ETA, although ideally we would like to be able to make Skywind a reality by 2015. 

Thanks for asking - I hope this answers your question!

Harry Andre
Harry Andre's picture
Thanks a lot, Tajnharasha!

Thanks a lot, Tajnharasha! It's absolutely clear. Also, good to know that this project will be complete only when it's actually complete! :D

BausicProductions
okay I removed the "creepy"

okay I removed the "creepy" parts. Does solid track mean it can be used in-game ?

I also made a short cave theme and wanted to know if it's good enough to expand it. :)

Let me know if you have any further suggestions ;)

AttachmentSize
Audio icon cave%20theme.mp35.17 MB
Audio icon calm%20exploration%20theme_0.mp37.53 MB
Therion_Prime
Therion_Prime's picture
I'm currently working on a

I'm currently working on a "not too epic" combat music for smaller critters (a cliffracer theme maybe), but I'm not entirely sure if it fit's with the setting.

What do you think, should I finish it or dump it?

Here's a rough sketch of the beginning of the track:

ArchieVision
ArchieVision's picture
Therion_Prime wrote: I'm

Therion_Prime wrote:

I'm currently working on a "not too epic" combat music for smaller critters (a cliffracer theme maybe), but I'm not entirely sure if it fit's with the setting.

What do you think, should I finish it or dump it?

Here's a rough sketch of the beginning of the track:

That is way to EPIC! to be a small animal combat them!!! That is more like fighting the Druege or the Ogrim. Or even maybe a big boss battle. I have to say, the talent we have here in the music and 3D is going to set Skywind apart from all other Mods! Way to go! 

Tajnarasha
Tajnarasha's picture
Bausic I've given your

Bausic

I've given your exploration theme a place as the West Gash night theme. Your cave theme was very interesting as well. I enjoyed it but I thought the musical elements were almost more appropriate for a shady bar (like the Camonna Tong) rather than a cave. The music was ominous, but not really atmospheric which is what we'd prefer for our dungeons. There was no immediate sense of danger or solitude from your music. 

Therion

Reminds me a lot of ''Knight's charge'' from Jeremy Soule - which is actually quite perfect since it was a theme in the Morrowind OST. I wouldn't say it's a battle theme for critters obviously but this is very appropriate for anytime you're fighting some criminal or guards! Keep at it Therion; this was a really impressive take on Soule's theme! 

Sharm
Sharm's picture
Hiya my name is Sharm and I

Hiya my name is Sharm and I am a Youtube singer. I am going to do doing some VA here for Mistress Therana and was also like to offer my singing services. 

Here is an original composition by myself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZAxc00zpXM

And my own arrangement of Tale of Tongues:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcc69yx4l7s

I would prefer to have the music composed for me as my virtual instruments are limited and sometimes have a habit of sounding quite fake. 

Should you need a female singer for anything at all regarding this amazing project, please don't hesitate to let me know!

DevinPolaski
DevinPolaski's picture
Great stuff, Sharm! I'd like

Great stuff, Sharm! I'd like to work on something that you could perform for, if you're interested. It will probably not have "real lyrics" - will more likely be combined vocals or "faux words," like I did with the song below. That way it will work for more exploration type songs. But seeing as how you worked with the dragon language, I think you would find that easy  :D

http://devinpolaski.bandcamp.com/track/falling-ascending

Tajnarasha
Tajnarasha's picture
Sharm I'm so very happy to

Sharm

I'm so very happy to see a vocalist finally join us! This will be a really good opportunity to incorporate a little Dunmeri culture in a few of our songs. I'd absolutely invite you to come in contact with Devin above me, Teslightreturn or Therion_Prime who could each compose music for you. How comfortable would you be in singing in Daedric? Since the Dark Elves used to worship them I feel that it would be very appropriate for Skywind's music to include lyrics from that language like the Dragon language was used for the Dragonborn. If Daedric turns out to be far too complicated to write for, I'd suggest listening to pieces by Cirque du Soleil to find some inspiration for fake lyrics. The soundtracks from and Ka are especially good. 

I liked your singing style in Emalyn's Resolve as well - there were some oriental tones that will come in very handy for what we're trying to accomplish with this soundtrack. 

I'm looking forward to hearing more from you, Sharm. Welcome!

DevinPolaski
DevinPolaski's picture
I think writing a song /

I think writing a song / singing in Daedric would be an amazing creative challenge! I've done a little digging, and have found translators for the Daedra alphabet. But what I'm looking for is how to translate into actual words instead of just letters, and also how these words would be pronounced. Any resources you know of to find this?

Pages

Topic locked