Pages

54 posts / 0 new
Last post
qwertyasdfgh
qwertyasdfgh's picture
[REL] Universal Cast-When-Used System

This is universal scripted system for items with "cast when used" enchantments.

How it works?
When an enchanted item with my script attached is equipped on player it copies the properties of enchantment to a dummy spell which is then selected as player active spell. Enchantment itself is immediately dispeled from the player (important for On Self enchantments, to prevent them from acting like Constant Effect)

Each item has a charge which is displayed in inventory UI and can be recharged normally with soulgems or using NPC services.

Requirements:
MenuQue

Known issues and limitations:
- On Target Enchantments fire once when item is equipped. This seems to be an engine issue and I haven't found any workaround yet.
- Enchantments effects will affect the player for a fraction of a second before being dispeled. This can become noticeable with high magnitudes.
- If you have more than one copy of the same item, UI popup can display wrong charge amount. HUD bar will display the correct value, though.
- You cannot enchant new items with "Cast When Used"

Last notes:
- There's a debug print in console which shows use count for every affected item (use tdt if you want to see it real-time)
- If anyone uses HUD Status Bars mod, it is possible to create a custom bar with use count for currently used item. See my post below for details.

AttachmentSize
File Version 1.27.27 KB
Edited by: qwertyasdfgh on 02/12/2015 - 08:43
gidz89
gidz89's picture
No, the more releases i say

No, the more releases i say the better, you do amazing work. :)

Been wanting something like this for a while.

RammS
RammS's picture
qwertyasdfghWoohoo! I was

qwertyasdfgh

Woohoo! I was waited for this so long!

qwertyasdfgh
qwertyasdfgh's picture
As promised, here are the

As promised, here are the settings for HUD Status Bars
It looks like this: 

; === Morroblivion Cast-When-Used System
; Charge amount of current item above spell icon
set tnoHSB.hud_type to HUDbarSmall
set tnoHSB.hud_val to sv_Construct "mwCWU.Itemuses"
set tnoHSB.hud_max to sv_Construct "mwCWU.Itemusesmax"
set tnoHSB.hud_visible to sv_Construct "mwCWU.Item"
set tnoHSB.hud_color to sv_Construct "HUDcolorPurple"
set tnoHSB.hud_size to HUDmagicWidth
set tnoHSB.hud_x to HUDmagicCenter
set tnoHSB.hud_y to HUDmagicAbove
SetStage tnoHSB 10
; Icon of current item above previous bar
set tnoHSB.hud_type to HUDbarRefIcon
set tnoHSB.hud_ref to sv_Construct "mwCWU.Item"
set tnoHSB.hud_visible to sv_Construct "mwCWU.Item"
set tnoHSB.hud_size to HUDmagicWidth
set tnoHSB.hud_x to HUDmagicCenter
set tnoHSB.hud_y to HUDprevBarAbove
SetStage tnoHSB 10

Also, I've made a few tweaks to mod itself. Redownload from the first post.

thermador
thermador's picture
Administrator
Donor
:-D

Wow.  Just wow.  This is something we have been trying to figure out for a LONG time. 

Not a small achievement by any means.  I never thought this would even be possible.

qwertyasdfgh
qwertyasdfgh's picture
Status update:Sadly, I

Status update:
Sadly, I haven't found a fix for On Target bug. How is it no one noticed this before?

Went through 'Armor' category in XLS spreadsheet (by the way, huge thanks for this, thermador) - 52 items total
33 successfully updated to use new system. (I also restored their original enchantments where they were nerfed and\or altered, and put a few into gameworld, where they were in Morrowind)
7 have On Target range - I don't touch these for now
7 have Bound Armor enchantment and Oblivion totally refuses to put them on Apparel. Not sure about the solution yet.
5 were not preset in the master. 1 of them will be added in next version (Ten Pace Boots). 4 other are some lame gauntlets, which existed in multiple instances in Morrowind. Not worth even bothering IMO.

This leaves us with 'Clothing' category - 263 items. Anyone wants to join in? :D

Also, what are your thoughts on changing some enchantments just a little bit, so they are not totally useless. Like, for example, Fire Shield for 5 seconds. I mean, really? Five seconds? Casting animation lasts for almost two.
I understand this is low-level gear, but wouldn't it be more suitable to be like, 30 seconds at least?

2 other thing to consider are use count and recharge rate.
For use count I currently plan to use formula: 5 + mysticism / 10 
I'll try to make recharge rate depend on Enchantment total cost so cheap ones recover faster.

Eazzy
Eazzy's picture
Hey, cool...I'm working on

Hey, cool...I'm working on something similar: "Cast on equip" enchantments for some artifacts and unique items. I'm using the normal charge system, meaning that items get discharged while using them and get recharged through the usual recharging menu (like you would recharge weapons). The idea with "Cast on equip" enchantments is that the item's effects are instantly applied as soon as you equip the item. After that, charge points are drawn from the item at a constant rate, e.g. 1cp per 0.5 secs (depending on the item). Effects stay active until you unequip the item or the item is fully discharged.

Here's a first version of my mod, which captures only the "Ring of Khajiit" (FormID: 0102bb36) for now, but I will add more items in the future. Feel free to grab scripting ideas from this mod if you find them useful for your mod.

http://www.mediafire.com/?c14kfjzglr89e9k

Note: When trying this mod, if you have the Ring of Khajiit already in your inventory, you need to drop it first and pick it up again. I'll fix this in a later version.

Edit: Forgot to mention that MenuQue is required for this to work!

qwertyasdfgh
qwertyasdfgh's picture
Eazzy, wow, that's great Do

Eazzy, wow, that's great :)

Do you think we could combine my casting mechanics with your recharge system? Because that would be awesome.

Eazzy
Eazzy's picture
Hmm..difficult, because my

Hmm..difficult, because my recharge system is by no means universal. Let me explain how it works, so you can judge by your own.

Because apparel items can't hold any charge points I'm doing a workaround: Every CWU enchanted item has a corresponding token stored inside an unaccessible container. This token is actually a weapon which has the same name and the same icon path as the original item. Its purpose is to hold the charge points in place of the original item and a script that queries or modifies the item's charge must reference the token instead of the item itself.

When the recharge menu is opened, the tokens of all CWU items that are currently in the player's inventory are swapped from the container to the player's inventory and thus show up in the recharge menu. Because they have the same name and the same icon path set, they are indistinguishable from the original items. When the recharge menu is closed, they are swapped back to the container. In order to know which CWU items are in the player's inventory, I'm maintaining a list of those items which is updated every time one of those items is added or dropped from the player's inventory.

To implement my recharge system you will at least need to add a dedicated token and a dedicated script (for updating the inventory list) for every CWU item. Another problem is that my system only supports unique items yet, but this may change in the future. The biggest drawback IMO is that this system cannot be ported to Skyrim, so all efforts made will be lost when Skywind is ready.

qwertyasdfgh
qwertyasdfgh's picture
Well we can create tokens for

Well we can create tokens for each item using CloneForm (the first time player equips the item) and then store it in Ref variable. CopyName and CopyIconPath will take care of visual appearance.

The hard part is synchronising charges between corresponding item and its token. In your scripts you move the item between container and player inventory - does this mean that Get/SetCurrentCharge work only when item is in player inventory?

Also, I wouldn't say that inability to port it to Skyrim is really a "drawback" :)

Eazzy
Eazzy's picture
Hey..didn't thought of

Hey..didn't thought of that..great idea!

Regarding synchronization..actually I don't have any compelling ideas..maybe building up a mapping table?

qwertyasdfgh wrote:

In your scripts you move the item between container and player inventory - does this mean that Get/SetCurrentCharge work only when item is in player inventory?

Exactly. I tried modifying the charge value while the item was in the container, but that didn't work. I think that's because the item needs to be loaded first.

qwertyasdfgh
qwertyasdfgh's picture
Well, I added lines to clone

Well, I added lines to clone weapon tokens (this sort of thing was needed for other purposes anyway) but no progress regarding synchronisation (It's possible to synchronise them, but I'm not sure how to detect which item should have higher priority - most times it should be enchanted item, and only once after recharge it should be weapon token)

Uploaded BETA2: Download
Changes:
- New items to use the system: most CWU Armor (see post #5) and some artifacts 
- More reliable casting detection (fixes the bug where you could cast the spell unlimited times by holding down cast key)
- Attempt to add visual difference between Constant Effect and CWU items (I say attempt because it only works if you move the mouse away and then highlight the item again in inventory. Does anybody know how to force the game to redraw popup menu?)
- Added initializing script and conflict detection with SM. Also there are some placeholders for possible future recharge system.

Jaknet
Jaknet's picture
This is all just amazing....

This is all just amazing.... wow

Eazzy....Thank you many times over, The Ring of Khajiit I finally managed to pick up a couple of weeks ago and was gutted it didn't work for my stealthy thug.... and now it does :)

qwertyasdfgh.... Please keep up the releases, I'm new to modding morroblivion and it's good to find an active group of modders.

A couple of quick questions. Is it ok to use your beta 2 with Eazzy's ring of Khajiit mod, and I'm using DarNfied ui which is what give me the hud bars "I believe", if so do you know which hud config.xml I should past the text to.

Cheers for any help.

qwertyasdfgh
qwertyasdfgh's picture
Yes, they are safe to use

Yes, they are safe to use together, but since beta 2 of my mod also covers Ring of Khajiit, you'll need to decide which one to load last. If Eazzy's esp is loaded after mine it'll handle Ring of Khajiit, while my mod will cover other items. If you load mine last, Ring of Khajiit will use mechanics from my mod too. You can try both to see which one you'll like more.

'HUD Status Bars' is a separate mod (search it on TESNexus). You'll need to paste the setting into it's own ini file.

qwertyasdfgh
qwertyasdfgh's picture
BETA3 DownloadChanges:- A lot

BETA3 Download

Changes:
- A lot more items are converted (see first post)
- Special treatment for Almsivi and Divine Intervention enchantments

ironman12345
ironman12345's picture
Cheers! qwerty!,downloading

Cheers! qwerty!,downloading now.Thanks!.

qwertyasdfgh
qwertyasdfgh's picture
BETA4 ReleasedChanges:- Over

BETA4 Released

Changes:
- Over 200 items now converted
- Added more or less easy method to deal with special enchantments(which don't work well with automatic system). This currently includes: Interventions, Mark, Recall, Robe of the Lich, High magnitude Restore Health enchantments - Eleidon's Ward and Amulet of Flesh Made Whole
- System should now work with NPCs (item charge isn't calculated for NPCs, since it would be too much trouble and no one will notice anyway)

llde
llde's picture
What is the differences

What is the differences betweeen Morroblivion - UCWUS.esp and Morrowind_ob - UCWUS.esp(that is included into complete installation)?

Which of them it's better to use?

thermador
thermador's picture
Administrator
Donor
There is no difference except

There is no difference except the name.

I just rename all of the ESP files in the Complete Installation so that they all start with the name of the master file (Morrowind_ob.ESM).  This makes it easier for people to organize their mod list.

llde
llde's picture
thanks. I realized this only

thanks. I realized this only after I ask here. Sorry for my bad english

qwertyasdfgh
qwertyasdfgh's picture
New version: BETA5Changelog:-

New version: BETA5

Changelog:
- renamed esp to match the one in Morroblivion Complete Installation
- fixed a bug where casting spell from item nullified the previous one
- fixed handling equipped item on savegame load
- you can now see active spell being changed while still in inventory menu
- other minor changes in coding

Clean save is recommended when installing this update

Download

Zeboo
Zeboo's picture
Donor
With this mod I had some

With this mod I had some trouble. Once I was not able to load my latest savegame - I had always a crash. At the end I deactivated UCWUS.esp and then I was able to load the game. So I thought "hej it's because of the load order". I changed the loadposition of UCWUS. But wherever I put this esm (at the beginning, end or different places in the middle of my other esp) I was not able to load the savegame. At the end I was loading the savegame again without UCWUS, I changed the location, made a new save there, activated UCWUS again and now it's working. So it seems that some location / actions cannot handle UCWUS.

Zeboo
Zeboo's picture
Donor
With this mod I had some

*error*

qwertyasdfgh
qwertyasdfgh's picture
Several people have reported

Several people have reported similar issues, but I have no idea what might be causing this (mainly because I was never able to reproduce it)

However, updating to BETA5 (with clean save) seemed to fix it before. So my only advice is to double-check if you are using the latest version.

Zeboo
Zeboo's picture
Donor
When I had the bug I was

When I had the bug I was using 0.4 - I updated 0.5, but for this savegame this did not help. As I said I deactivated the esp, changed the area, saved the game, activated the esp and now its fine.

Maybe the bug wont appear now with 0.5 :) Lets hope.

qwertyasdfgh
qwertyasdfgh's picture
I deactivated the esp,

I deactivated the esp, changed the area, saved the game, activated the esp

So you basically did a clean save. Which you should've done when updating anyway :)

qwertyasdfgh
qwertyasdfgh's picture
Updated version for v058

Updated version for v058 master:

GBRPlus
GBRPlus's picture
I noticed some items are

I noticed some items are deleted by this mod.

But they used in other scrips!

Is it right?

qwertyasdfgh
qwertyasdfgh's picture
Is it right? Yes. Anything

Is it right?

Yes. Anything that was deleted is either a duplicate or simply unneeded.

qwertyasdfgh
qwertyasdfgh's picture
Good news! Looks like I've

Good news! Looks like I've finally managed to find a reliable way to mark cast-when-used items in UI. Just need to test this a bit more.

qwertyasdfgh
qwertyasdfgh's picture
I've been working on a rather

I've been working on a rather large update for this mod. In addition to some minor bugfixes it will introduce 2 major changes:

1. CWU items now have proper charge, which is displayed in UI. Here's an example for Ring of Equity:

(As you can see, the popup menu now also displays duration of the spell - something that you couldn't see in previous versions)

CWU items can now be recharged with soulgems using normal recharge screen (using modified scripts from the mod Eazzy posted). Automatic recharge was removed for consistency with enchanted weapons and to make some items less OP.

2. I'm also doing some rebalancing of enchantments to make items actually useful. This includes converting some of the weakest enchantments to 'Constant Effect' and prolonging the effects of others.
If someone doesn't like the changes I'll post an optional 'purist' add-on, where everything will be like in Morrowind.

thermador
thermador's picture
Administrator
Donor
Dang qwerty, that is cool!

Dang qwerty, that is cool!

Brainslasher
Brainslasher's picture
Contributor
That's some nice work right

That's some nice work right there. Can't wait to use this.

qwertyasdfgh
qwertyasdfgh's picture

I have uploaded version 1.0, which includes the changes mentioned above. If you have OBME installed some enchantments will have proper icons now (however, OBME is not required or the mod to run)

Notes:
- Requires MenuQue now. Without it you won't be able to recharge items.
- You need to equip the item at least once to see the charge amount in UI.
- If you have more than one copy of the same item, UI popup can display wrong charge amount. Recharge menu and HUD bar will display the correct values, though.
- archive also includes a patch for Supreme Magicka which should make summon enchantments work correctly with it.

Brainslasher
Brainslasher's picture
Contributor
Nice. I don't use OBME but

Nice. I don't use OBME but maybe I'll try it to get the new icons. 

Björn
Björn's picture
Could you make an optional

Could you make an optional .esp where the items reload themselves after a certain time?

qwertyasdfgh
qwertyasdfgh's picture
No. I've removed auto

No. I've removed auto-recharge on purpose (explained several post above).

Björn
Björn's picture
I have overlooked this, sorry

I have overlooked this, sorry. Could you upload a "purist-Addon"? I use a Mod to reload the enchanted items automatically when they are equipped (slow mode), so it would fit.

qwertyasdfgh
qwertyasdfgh's picture
It's simply not done yet. I

It's simply not done yet. I'll release it together with the final version of the mod.

Björn
Björn's picture
Ok, thank you.

Ok, thank you.

GalenKnight56
GalenKnight56's picture
I have MenuQue installed but

I have MenuQue installed but I can't seem to recharge any of the cast when used items. What exactly am I supposed to do?

qwertyasdfgh
qwertyasdfgh's picture
You can recharge them the

You can recharge them the same way as enchanted weapons, with the exception of using Varla Stones.

qwertyasdfgh
qwertyasdfgh's picture
I have uploaded version 1.1

I have uploaded version 1.1 in the first post. This is the same file that is included in the main download of Morroblivion v064.

Changes:

• Edits are partly merged in the master for compatibility with other mods. This version will work only with Morrowind_ob.esm v064 or later.
  • Icon of the enchanted item is now displayed in UI, in place of the spell icon.
Malpdv
Malpdv's picture
May I know if you changed the

May I know if you changed the Spear of Bitter Mercy from Sheogorath's quest, too?
Because whenever I equip it, I get a perma-summoned Atronach till I unequip the spear. :P

qwertyasdfgh
qwertyasdfgh's picture
No, right now it only covers

No, right now it only covers clothing and armor. I'm still working on the mod though.

Malpdv
Malpdv's picture
Ah ok, thank you. :) 

Ah ok, thank you. :) 

qwertyasdfgh
qwertyasdfgh's picture
Update: Version 1.2

Update: Version 1.2

• Fixed an obscure bug where an enchanted item would lose the link to its token and couldn't be recharged.
  • Partly fixed a bug where Cast When Used items would still show up in recharge menu if they were removed from player's inventory by script (given away for quest, for example).
  • Cast key will now be enabled in all ingame menus, even if it was previosly disabled.
  • If you have "Fundament Enchanting Addons" mod installed, using Cast When Used items will give XP in Enchanting skill.
Zetman
Zetman's picture
Thank you. 

Thank you. 

rickstone
rickstone's picture
I am quite confused about the

I am quite confused about the UCWUS.  This has never worked properly for me.  I never see the ability to recharge items other than weapons when using soulgems.  For example, I recently received a message that my Ring of Surroundings must be recharged.  It does not show up in the menu as able to be recharged when I select a soulgem.  I updated UCWUS to 1.2, did the "disable the esp, move to a new area, save, enable the esp, start the game" steps and still nothing.  None of my rechargable items show this info:

I have OBSE and MenuQue installed.  Oddly, I tried installing OBME and immediately CTD upon starting the game.

Any tips or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again for all the great work. Loving Morroblivion!

qwertyasdfgh
qwertyasdfgh's picture
None of my rechargable items

None of my rechargable items show this info:

What do they show then? Are other features of the mod working?

rickstone
rickstone's picture
I'm not really clear on what

I'm not really clear on what exactly the mod is supposed to do. I only realized there was something awry when I could not recharge rings. My guess is that the UCWUS mod is not working but I am not sure what to do to get it working. It was installed with v64 and once I noticed that i did not have the option to recharge rings I started doing some research which lead to updating to v1.2 of the mod but still nothing has changed. The display for rechargeable items is the same as for stock Oblivion.

Thanks!

Pages