CREDIT: A huge thank you to vurt for allowing the Morroblivion community to finally enjoy what I believe are the definitive mods for Morrowind trees and shrubs: the Vurt's Tree Replacer collection!
This project began back in 2016 as part of the MGSO for Morroblivion project, but ran into a number of hurdles that have finally been overcome with the help of the ModExporter and FarNifAutoGen utilities. You can read more about it in my developer journal here. To find out about vurt and his collection of indispensable mods for Morrowind, go here.
Links to alpha versions:
- Required: VWD Replacer for v064 Morroblivion: FarNifAutoGen-MorroblivionBSA.7z (mediafire)
- Required: "Morrowind_Compatibility_Layer.esp" from Mods-for-ModExporter (mediafire)
- Vurt's Bitter Coast Tree Replacer II for Morroblivion - alpha 3 (mediafire)
- Vurt's Grazelands Unique Trees - alpha 2 (mediafire)
- Vurt's Ashland Overhaul Trees - alpha 2 (mediafire)
- Vurt's Leafy West Gash II - alpha 1 (mediafire)
- Vurt's Ascadian Isles Trees II - alpha 2 (mediafire)
- Vurt's Solstheim Tree Replacer II - alpha 1 (mediafire)
1. Download and install the VWD Replacer for v064 Morroblivion with your favorite mod manager.
2. Downoad and install Mods-for-ModExporter: you only need to activate the "Morrowind_Compatibility_Layer.esp". Load-order: This ESP should be placed before (above) all ESP files from the Vurt mods in step 3.
3. Download and install any combination of Vurt tree replacers above and install with favorite mod manager. Remember to activate all ESPs in each vurt mod. Load-order: These ESPs need to be placed after the "Morrowind_Compatibility_Layer.esp". Place any worldmap mods after (below) these ESPs.
4. Run TES4LODGen utility after steps 1, 2 and 3. You will need to run this again any time you modify or add additional Vurt mods.
5. Run Oblivion.
Any other mods which add VWD / _FAR.NIF files to the Morroblivion worldspace will need to have the alpha-properties fix described in the developer journal here.
Further testing needed to find incompatible Morroblivion mods. Graphical artifacts are still present on some trees and may need some hand-tweaking of NIF files. Performance tuning needed as well as higher performance / lower detail VWD files.
- Question: What's the difference between the Ashland Trees here and the prior conversion done by Artparker?
- Artparker's mod is a good quality, hand-converted pluginless replacer which replaces the 7 vanilla Morrowind ashtree types. It does not contain VWD files.
- The conversion here was created with ModExporter with automated generation of VWD files as well as automated generation of Normal-maps using the GIMP Normal-maps plugin. It contains the 7 replacement trees like Artparker's mod, but also has 8 additional tree models and special textures for unique and rare trees which were custom placed by Vurt.
- Question: What's the difference between the Bitter Coast Tree Replacers mod here and the BC Tree Replacer mod released in 2016?
- The mod released in 2016 used the old ESPConverter tool and had hand-made, undecimated VWD models.
- The conversion here was created with ModExporter. The VWD files were mathematically decimated using Blender-Python scripts. Normal-maps were generated with the GIMP Normal-maps plugin.
- Question: What is "Morrowind_Compatibility_Layer.esp" or Mods-for-Modexporter?
- This is a file used by mods which are created using newer versions of the ModExporter. It allows for compatibility with Morrowind-specific items such as scripts, quests, global settings and other elements that don't exist in Morroblivion.
- Question: My Morroblivion worldmap mod got replaced by the vanilla Morroblivion map! How do I fix it?
- Using a mod mananger, move your worldmap mod's ESP to after (below) all Vurt mod ESPs.