193 posts / 0 new
Last post
RammS
RammS's picture
Contributor
FAQ - Skywind

IF YOU WANT TO HELP WITH CONVERSION, YOU SHOULD GO TO THIS THREAD =) http://morroblivion.com/forums/skywind/skywind-development/2755

So guys, here is the basic FAQ about TES V: Skywind (modified version by Shadow) :)

Well if anyone has anymore good questions that they want answered on the FAQ, feel free to write them down, and I'll type up some answers that can be posted.

1. Q: What IS Skywind exactly?

A: It is a non-commercial, fan made modification for The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim that seeks to merge the amazing world of The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind with the enhanced graphics and capabilities of Skyrim's engine.

While ownership of both games is required to play, the player only actually plays Skywind using the Skyrim game, and not the older Morrowind game. This means that the user interface, combat, graphics, and system requirements for the Skywind mod are all those of Skyrim, and NOT Morrowind.

2. Q: What do I need to run Skywind?

A: You will need a copy of TES III: Morrowind, including the Bloodmoon and Tribunal expansions installed correctly on your system. Plus TES V: Skyrim of course. The exact files that you will need to run, as well as the instructions you should follow to install can be located on The Official Installation Instruction Thread.

3. Q:. Will Skywind be complete with quests, or will it only feature the Morrowind landscape?

A: As of now, Skywind mostly just consists of landscape and static meshes, but we are currently working on getting all of the quests, npcs, weapons, creatures, etc. working correctly, and they should all be available by the final release. Remember though that we have a limited team, and if you want to see a particular feature faster then join and help work on it.

4. Q: But Morrowind had very outdated graphics, especially in the mesh and texture areas!

A: Take a look at some of the pictures located throughout the Skywind Screenshot thread. Eloth is nearing the completion of a fantastic visual overhaul which will replace every original Morrowind texture with remakes of much higher visual quality. Besides this, many other objects will have new custom meshes that will be of greater quality than the originals, while keeping to the Morrowind feel. Note: Most of the screeenshots are taken with ENB enabled, so they may be brighter and have more bloom than you would expect with default Skyrim shaders.

5. Q: Will there be an Oblivion conversion, and if so, should I wait for it before trying Skywind?

A: Yes, there will be an Oblivion conversion. However, work probably won't start on it until after the final release of Skywind. The two will be able to run separately, so there will be no reason to postpone playing Skywind just to wait for it. Though if you are really adventurous, there is currently a raw converted Masterfile for the Oblivion conversion, but it is far from playable. Everything you would need to know about that is located on the official Skyblivion Installation Instructions thread.

6. Q: Will I be able to take advantage of the new Skyrim systems while in Morrowind? Things such as smithing and crafting.

A: Yes you will! This is not yet implimented, but in the future you will be able to craft many of the objects from Morrowind using local materials. That means real mining and Morrowind style crafting stations too. These recipes will be balanced so as not to interfere with normal Morrowind gameplay though.

7. Q: But what about fast-travel and quest markers? They could ruin a true Morrowind experience.

A: You will be able to use fast-travel and quest markers because they come with the Skyrim engine. However it will still be quite possible to play through the entire game without them. There are several .ini tweaks that are especially helpful for this, and they only take a few minutes to look up and add to your .ini files. Note: Always make a backup copy of your .ini files before attempting to tweak them so you can revert back if something goes wrong.

8. Q: I have heard that the armor system will be similar to the one in Morrowind, is this true?

A: Yes indeed. You will be able to place 2 pauldrons, 2 gauntlets, greaves, boots, cuirass, and a helmet on your character all at the same time! There will probably still be some limitations that didn't exist in Morrowind, such as the ability to wear clothing, armor, and robes all in layers, but most of the functionality that you may remember from Morrowind will be making a glorious return.

9. Q: Is there any estimate for a release date?

A: When it's done.

10. Q: Hey guys I heard about this mod called Beyond Skyrim and I'd li-

A: NO! STOP THAT! BAD! Beyond Skyrim has nothing to do with Skywind. We're two completely different projects, with two completely different goals in mind. Stop pestering them about Skywind, please.

Edited by: GrumpyCat on 03/15/2014 - 01:27
RammS
RammS's picture
Contributor
additional post

additional post

Shadow
Shadow's picture
Contributor
Nice work Ramms. If you
Nice work Ramms. :) If you don't mind, can I modify it to conform better to English language mechanics? Then you can post that so everything looks more professional. I could probably have it up sometime tomorrow.
Mehh
Mehh's picture
Also this should really be

Also this should really be stickied.

God_is_7
God_is_7's picture
Hi everyone. I found this

Hi everyone. I found this place through kotaku.com where I saw some gorgeous pictures. I loved Morrowind, in fact so much more than Skyrim. The level system and so on...

And I'm sorry if this is the wrong place, I didn't want to make a new thread to clutter the place since i myself have no skills whatsoever when it comes to programming and so on. I am just very curious and hope to be one of the people who gets to play this... mod.... re-release? :P

Anyways. I wanted to know if you will bring back the old magic stuff? Magic like High Jump and Levitate that made Morrowind really fun. Will you bring back old skills (would you create new astral signs for them) such as acrobatics? Armor is cool and all, but it's really all the same with the new magic system. But skills like high jump and camelleon makes for a totally different gameplay.

Thank you kind sirs!

Shadow
Shadow's picture
Contributor
(No subject)

Well, all done altering the FAQ.  (that took a long time... :) )

It contains more detailed information than the original, and I'm going to recommend that it be posted in the OP.

I changed one minor piece of information though.  You said you were hoping for an alpha release next year, but we really already have an alpha, so I changed it to be a beta release.  Hope you don't mind Ramms.

Well if anyone has anymore good questions that they want answered on the FAQ, feel free to write them down, and I'll type up some answers that can be posted.

1. Q: What IS Skywind exactly?

A: It is a non-commercial, fan made modification for The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim that seeks to merge the amazing world of The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind with the enhanced graphics and capabilities of Skyrim's engine.

While ownership of both games is required to play, the player only actually plays Skywind using the Skyrim game, and not the older Morrowind game.  This means that the user interface, combat, graphics, and system requirements for the Skywind mod are all those of Skyrim, and NOT Morrowind.

2. Q: What do I need to run Skywind?

A: You will need a copy of TES III: Morrowind, including the Bloodmoon and Tribunal expansions installed correctly on your system.  Plus TES V: Skyrim of course.  The exact files that you will need to run, as well as the instructions you should follow to install can be located on The Official Installation Instruction Thread.

3. Q:. Will Skywind be complete with quests, or will it only feature the Morrowind landscape?

A: As of now, Skywind mostly just consists of landscape and static meshes, but we are currently working on getting all of the quests, npcs, weapons, creatures, etc. working correctly, and they should all be available by the final release.  Remember though that we have a limited team, and if you want to see a particular feature faster then join and help work on it.

4. Q: But Morrowind had very outdated graphics, especially in the mesh and texture areas!

A: Take a look at some of the pictures located throughout the Skywind Screenshot thread.  Eloth is nearing the completion of a fantastic visual overhaul which will replace every original Morrowind texture with remakes of much higher visual quality.  Besides this, many other objects will have new custom meshes that will be of greater quality than the originals,  while keeping to the Morrowind feel.  Note: Most of the screeenshots are taken with ENB enabled, so they may be brighter and have more bloom than you would expect with default Skyrim shaders.

5. Q: Will there be an Oblivion conversion, and if so, should I wait for it before trying Skywind?

A: Yes, there will be an Oblivion conversion.  However, work probably won't start on it until after the final release of Skywind.  The two will be able to run separately, so there will be no reason to postpone playing Skywind just to wait for it.  Though if you are really adventurous, there is currently a raw converted Masterfile for the Oblivion conversion, but it is far from playable.  Everything you would need to know about that is located on the official Skyblivion Installation Instructions thread.

6. Q: Will I be able to take advantage of the new Skyrim systems while in Morrowind?  Things such as smithing and crafting.

A: Yes you will!  This is not yet implimented, but in the future you will be able to craft many of the objects from Morrowind using local materials.  That means real mining and Morrowind style crafting stations too.  These recipes will be balanced so as not to interfere with normal Morrowind gameplay though.

7. Q: But what about fast-travel and quest markers?  They could ruin a true Morrowind experience.

A: You will be able to use fast-travel and quest markers because they come with the Skyrim engine.  However it will still be quite possible to play through the entire game without them.  There are several .ini tweaks that are especially helpful for this, and they only take a few minutes to look up and add to your .ini files.  Note:  Always make a backup copy of your .ini files before attempting to tweak them so you can revert back if something goes wrong.

8. Q: I have heard that the armor system will be similar to the one in Morrowind, is this true?

A: Yes indeed.  You will be able to place 2 pauldrons, 2 gauntlets, greaves, boots, cuirass, and a helmet on your character all at the same time!  There will probably still be some limitations that didn't exist in Morrowind, such as the ability to wear clothing, armor, and robes all in layers, but most of the functionality that you may remember from Morrowind will be making a glorious return.

9. Q: Is there any estimate for a release date?

A:  Well, the masterfile is actually available right now!  It can be installed by following the instructions from the link posted in question 2, however this version doesn't have that many features available at the moment.  We are hoping that first truly playable Beta version will be released (if all proceeds as it is currently) around February or March of 2013.

Shadow
Shadow's picture
Contributor
Hey, could someone sticky

Hey, could someone sticky this?  I have a feeling that it could be useful for a lot of those guests we seem to be getting at the moment.

DimSah
DimSah's picture
Hello friends!

Hello guys.

I admire the work done by morroblivion.com and I’d be glad to help with the process of the Skywind project. I am not a programmer. My knowledge of things such as C++ is quite limited. However I know a thing or two about mods, I am good with the ES lore and I could also easily work on conversion tasks according to a tutorial. Please tell me how I may help. It is the least I can do to show my appreciation.  

Normal 0 false false false EL X-NONE X-NONE /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Κανονικός πίνακας"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin-top:0cm; mso-para-margin-right:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt; mso-para-margin-left:0cm; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi; mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}

malgarroth
malgarroth's picture
Well, if you're confident

Well, if you're confident with NPC conversion, just claim a race in the NPC thread, get to work and upload when you're done :)

DimSah
DimSah's picture
Thank you

Thanks malgarroth!

stijmunkey
stijmunkey's picture
Donor
Hi
Hi I'm very interested in this project, you guys are awesome! I would be honored to help in any way although I don't think there is much I can do, I am fairly familiar with installing mods but that's about it, and I used to play oblivion on my dad's computer years ago, I'm also a console gamer (don't hurt me lol) but I just got a good deal on a fairly good pc, I think, so I'm new to this and unfortunately I don't have a copy of oblivion installed yet, I do have morrowind though. But at the very least I created a profile to let you guys know how awesome this is ant to show my appreciation and give input wherever possible, thanks!
Mehh
Mehh's picture
stijmunkey wrote:Hi I'm very

stijmunkey wrote:

Hi I'm very interested in this project, you guys are awesome! I would be honored to help in any way although I don't think there is much I can do, I am fairly familiar with installing mods but that's about it, and I used to play oblivion on my dad's computer years ago, I'm also a console gamer (don't hurt me lol) but I just got a good deal on a fairly good pc, I think, so I'm new to this and unfortunately I don't have a copy of oblivion installed yet, I do have morrowind though. But at the very least I created a profile to let you guys know how awesome this is ant to show my appreciation and give input wherever possible, thanks!

Well you can always help out by converting the npcs, it's a fairly easy job, just gets to be a bit tedious. We have a video guide on how to do it.
http://morroblivion.com/forums/conversion-to-skyrim/conversi...
Controlspire
Controlspire's picture
Donations for the Project?

I am not a programmer and I don't know the  first thing about this, however I know I can help in some way and that I want to. Is the project accepting donations by major credit card or paypal that could help in seeing Skywind brought to fruition?  If so can you send me a link?

digitalparanoid
digitalparanoid's picture
Hi,this project doesn't

Hi,

this project doesn't accept donations. However, we accept : help, testing (later) and kind words ;)

Ryuzaki
Ryuzaki's picture
Hi, I have no skill in

Hi, I have no skill in modding BUT I bet I could be a good tester, so, to show my support I offer my self as a tester, so if testing is currently open and there is a specific area you wish me to report problems please tell me, and if not, I suppose I'll just wait for testing to open, though it be nice if you could contact me when you need my services as a tester, bye

seventhlight
seventhlight's picture
digitalparanoid wrote:Hi,this

digitalparanoid wrote:

Hi,

this project doesn't accept donations. However, we accept : help, testing (later) and kind words ;)

1./ I will test the shit out of this.

2./ I love you all.

chukleberryfinn
chukleberryfinn's picture
Mark and Recall
Will the mark and recall spells be available for traveling to any arbitrary point? That was quite useful in Morrowind, especially when doing quests that was not near a fast-travel location.
Clint
Clint's picture
Contributor
I think the Morroblivion team

I think the Morroblivion team was able to bring that back with scripting, so we should be able to do the same thing.

Tyetonious
Tyetonious's picture
Hey guys i was wondering if

Hey guys i was wondering if there was a comms (as in teamspeak) server or anything that can be used for skywind development? :)

thermador
thermador's picture
Administrator
Donor
There is chat on this site

There is chat on this site (similar to FB, Google chat), but you're not going to see it unless you are a project contributor. 

gidz89
gidz89's picture
Contributor
Haha was the chat thing a new

Haha was the chat thing a new addition on the new surver thermador? Don't think i've ever noticed it. Should make correspondance with other members a whole lot easier now. Good job on the surver transition, you can hardly notice. :)

BarbasTheDog
BarbasTheDog's picture
What about the Perk and skills systems?

In Skyrim, we have a really nice perk system and 18 skills organised in three classes. In Morrowind we have 27 different skills and, class and atributes systems. As far as I know, there is no way of adding custom skills/perk trees/atributes to the new Creation Engine, so I wondered: What will be your solution for these issues, and will you keep the perk system?

Mehh
Mehh's picture
Perks are neat, so they'll

Perks are neat, so they'll stay. I'm not sure if we're all too concerned about the other stuff you listed, but you can already get Morrowind like attributes in a mod.
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/13968

BarbasTheDog
BarbasTheDog's picture
Thanks.

I'm glad perks will stay, and anxious to see how you'll workaround the skill adding limitation.

Shadow
Shadow's picture
Contributor
10. Q: In Skyrim, there is a

10. Q: In Skyrim, there is a really nice perk system with 18 separate skills.  In Morrowind there are 27 different skills, with a class and attribute system.  How do you plan on reconciling these differences?

A:  We will use the Skyrim system as it is found in a vanilla copy of the game.  To accomplish this we will simply merge those lost skills with the most applicable Skyrim ones.  So items using short blade, long blade, blunt, axe, and spear will all be placed in the one handed and two handed Skyrim weapon categories, medium armors will be placed in the light and heavy armor categories, etc.  If you really don't like the Skyrim system, then there are already mods restoring Morrowind attributes available on sites such as the Nexus that could be used in conjunction with Skywind.

Can you guys read over this to make sure it sounds good, and then could a moderator post it in the Skywind FAQ?

Clint
Clint's picture
Contributor
Thanks for that Shadow, that

Thanks for that Shadow, that should clear some misunderstandings up. I've updated the FAQ.

damnedfruit
damnedfruit's picture
help

Hello guys, i'm new here, first of all sorry for my bad english, however i have a question, i have installed latest masterfile correctly, and when i go to skyrim game, i have a quest marker from skywind, but i'm still in the skyrim world, how can i do, to go in the morrowind world ??? I tried to search an explanation in forum, but i can't fiund it, i need to type something in the console to go in skywind world ?

ironman12345
ironman12345's picture
Contributor
Yes,type cow

Yes,type cow AND_wrldmorrowind 0,0 or use any numbers you want as I am not sure of the location numbers.

damnedfruit
damnedfruit's picture
thank you very much !

thank you very much !

ironman12345
ironman12345's picture
Contributor
-5 -5 should take you to

-5 -5 should take you to Balmora,not sure if there is a , between numbers try -5,-5 or just -5 -5

Shadow
Shadow's picture
Contributor
Fail....   That's step 9But

Fail....   That's step 9

But thanks for answering anyway Ironman.  :)

Xello 99
Xello 99's picture
FAQ

Will the mod also work with a german Skyrim version and a german Morrowind version ?

ironman12345
ironman12345's picture
Contributor
Xello 99,The installer can be

Xello 99,

The installer can be used with a lot of languages [I think I have activated German].

And it should also install the master [morrowind_sk.esm and the scripts],but even though the installer uses German,the scripts and dialogue in the game will be English I think.

But remember to browse to your Skyrim\Data folder [in any language version] when running the installer.

digitalparanoid
Yes, dialogues will be in

Yes, dialogues will be in english because basically what we do is copy them from the english version of morrowind (or morroblivion more precisely). Wether it works at all with the german (or any non-english) version needs to be tested, I have no idea. But the text will be english for sure.

A translation mod can certainly happen through motivated individuals but I think those projects should wait for a more advanced state of skywind.

Xello 99
Xello 99's picture
The language

The language doesn't matter (if it is not spanish or so), i understand it.  The only Important thing for me is, will Skywind work with  german version of the game. Thanks for answer my questions.

digitalparanoid
I think that should work. But

I think that should work. But that needs to be tested.

Luke the Overlord
Luke the Overlord's picture
Voice Acting

Will this mod include voices? If so and you are looking for actors, I can do some pretty good accents! I can do male and female voices. My best races are: Imperial (lol), Breton, Redguard, Nord, Elf, Dark Elf, Kha'jiit, and Orc. Argonian may require some audio editing. (I'm good at audio editing) Also, do you guys want any dialects? English accent, Irish accent, Indian accent, and of course... AMERICAN/Canadian! lol but seriously. My mic's not too bad and if it is, I think I'd be willing to get a better one.

SifkniDoeld
SifkniDoeld's picture
time gap

are you going to do something lore friendly (or not) to pass the 200 or so year gap sense the oblivion crisis?

Mehh
Mehh's picture
CHIM

CHIM

srsparky32
srsparky32's picture
just a quick question

Hi, I was just wondering if i install the skywind mod, will it completely change the skyrim meshes and so forth? basically, i have no more world of skyrim..just the world of morrowind? 

Shadow
Shadow's picture
Contributor
This does not alter Skyrim at

This does not alter Skyrim at all

srsparky32
srsparky32's picture
I see. Sorry for my

I see. Sorry for my noobishness, but i just want to make sure i know how it works.

So i install the meshes and textures, and from what im seeing you run it through the skyrim game and so forth. So how do i switch between morrowind and skyrim in this case?

Also one more thing. Would i be able to do the storyline with the skyrim textures in Morrowind, or is that not yet implemented?

Shadow
Shadow's picture
Contributor
The Morrowind quests are not

The Morrowind quests are not yet implimented.  As for moving back and forth, it tells you how to get to Morrowind in the install instructions, but to get back try "coc whiterun".

srsparky32
srsparky32's picture
thats cool. thanks for the

thats cool. thanks for the help. ill hold off on skywind until quests and npc's are playable. 

great work, by the way. :)

immortalfrieza
immortalfrieza's picture
How will morrowind and Skyrim mods function in Skywind?

Hi, I've registered here and logged in to ask a couple questions, and 1 more thing, Skywind is a brilliant idea, and Bethesda would do well to follow your team's example. Hell, better yet, they'd do well to hire you guys and make this official.

My questions are as follows.

1. How will mods for Morrowind and Skyrim work with Skywind? By that I mean will they be compatible with Skywind at the start, or will they need to be converted first? I have quite a few mods added to both games and I'm worried as to whether I'll be able to make use of them in Skywind. Also, will Morrowind and/or Skyrim require a fresh reinstall for people like me who have installed several mods into the games in order for Skywind to function correctly?

2. How will features that Skyrim doesn't have but Morrowind does, such as how will some skills that don't exist in Skyrim like athletics or acrobatics be implemented in Skywind, if at all? As well has features that Skyrim has but Morrowind doesn't, like how will dungeons work, which are varied in Skyrim with traps and puzzles and such but much more generic in Morrowind? Will horses be put into Skywind? Will werewolves be 3rd person as in Skyrim or first or third person as in Morrowind? And so on.

Shadow
Shadow's picture
Contributor
1:  We will try to make

1:  We will try to make Skyrim mods as compatible as possible with Skywind.  So all of your Skyrim mods should work out of the box, however there is a very small possibility that one of your mods might conflict.  You won't need a fresh install of Morrowind, as we don't actually take any files from it, and you will only need to reinstall Skyrim if you really want to.  Unfortunately though, it would be very difficult to get your Morrowind mods to work, and I'd recommend not even trying, as you'd have to run them through two converters, with a lot of hard steps in between.

2:  Our goal is to create Morrowind within the Skyrim engine, so your question is hard to answer.  We will try to get as many Morrowind features to carry over, such as spells and separated armor, but we have to use Skyrim engine features like 3rd person werewolves and fewer skills.

Lastly, I'd like to recommend that you wait a tiny bit longer to install.  I'm pretty sure we're getting a new master with a completely changed file structure in the next day or two.  Waiting would prevent you from having to download the meshes twice.

immortalfrieza
immortalfrieza's picture
Thank you

Thanks for your quick reply. I probably won't install Skywind until I hear that it's been properly tested and mostly functional, so don't worry about that.

Shadow
Shadow's picture
Contributor
That will be awhile, I can

That will be awhile, I can guarantee it.  There are a lot of quests to finish and some armor to convert over before it can even be considered playable. But let me tell you, just being able to wander around the landscape is awesome enough.

immortalfrieza
immortalfrieza's picture
Take your time

That's alright, take your time. I'd much rather Skywind be done slowly and turn out well than fast and end up crappy.

xabu1
xabu1's picture
Save file, gameplay question

I was wondering how save files would be handled in the final version of this game. Will it use the existing skyrim files? Will I be playing with my existing Skyrim character? Will I be creating a new character? Will the saves be stored in a different location?

Morrowind has several differences from Skyrim: equipment, skills, etc. Will I still be able to play my normal Skyrim if I get this?

Will this effectively be two games within my Skyrim launcher?

Last question: How will solstheim be handled? It appears in both games' explansions. 

GrumpyCat
GrumpyCat's picture
I was wondering how save

I was wondering how save files would be handled in the final version of this game. Will it use the existing skyrim files? Will I be playing with my existing Skyrim character? Will I be creating a new character? Will the saves be stored in a different location?

Think of it in terms that you are still playing your normal Skyrim game but you can venture off into the province of Morrowind. So there are no separate saves, files, characters, etc. If you want to have a new character then you can just start a new game. If you play with your existing Skyrim character then you will still have all the Skyrim related quests in your journal, as well as the ones you pick up with in Morrowind. If you pick items, armor weapons, etc they will remain with you between both game worlds.

I don't think we have settled on how you will travel between worlds and the time gap, but at the moment because its alpha, you do it through the console command "cow wrldmorrwind 5,5".

Pages