Pages

84 posts / 0 new
Last post
camyouseeme
camyouseeme's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 9 months ago
Joined: 12/22/2014 - 08:34
Karma: 2
skywind has been taken down from download

i was only wondering why it had been taken down, when their was a file to download previously, i am merely wondering and hope you can let me know

Edited by: Aurabelle on 01/16/2015 - 23:40
alysander
alysander's picture
Member
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 8 months ago
Joined: 09/27/2013 - 06:34
Karma: 1519
New versions in active

New versions in active development.
Download restricted for public now.

camyouseeme
camyouseeme's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 9 months ago
Joined: 12/22/2014 - 08:34
Karma: 2
ok thanks for leting me know

ok thanks for leting me know

Sancez
Sancez's picture
Member
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 3 months ago
Joined: 01/25/2014 - 18:08
Karma: 104
I remember there was a video

I remember there was a video talking about a public beta. It was some months ago, maybe summer. What happened to it?

thermador
thermador's picture
Administrator
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 12/16/2010 - 04:00
Karma: 1397
Donor
The development team at the

The development team at the time got sick of all the "why doesn't x work in the skywind alpha download" questions clogging up the forum - e.g. stuff like "why doesn't anyone have any clothes".  They also got tired of answering basic questions on how to install mods and other such things.  So they closed down public access to the download.  Now instead of those threads, there is a thread like this once a week or so.  Didn't really solve anything, but for some people here it's fun to have a private little clubhouse so it's continued that way.

Not all of us agree with this decision, as you can probably tell, but it's what has been done.  Personally, I think it's foolish and shortsighted, because it makes it harder to attract people to the project if they can't even download it and check it out.  It's nice to get rid of the idiotic questions from people who obviuosly didn't even read the bold text on the download page, but it also makes it difficult for talented people to try it out and see if they want to help.  There are a lot of talented modders out there, and they might be much more likely to contribute if they didn't have to create an account and beg to get access to the download just to see how the project is progressing and what it looks like. 

At least, that's what we found out with the Tale of Two Wastelands project (Fallout 3 -> Fallout NV).  Having even a slightly playable project generates enthusiasm because people can say, "Oh I downloaded the project and I noticed this wasn't working, here's a patch" - I can't even count how many times that happened with TTW.  Sure, we get idiotic "I didn't read anything" or "I don't know how to use google" types of questions sometimes, but that's why we have a thorough FAQ, and we can just say "Read the FAQ" or whatever.

One thing I can definitely tell you - website traffic is way down since they took the project private, and that decision is also why I personally no longer contribute to it and have focused my modding interests elsewhere.

Sancez
Sancez's picture
Member
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 3 months ago
Joined: 01/25/2014 - 18:08
Karma: 104
So that's why the public beta

So that's why the public beta never happened. Ok. °_°

no1
no1's picture
Member
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 4 months ago
Joined: 01/13/2013 - 10:32
Karma: 514
so are we close to a public

so are we close to a public release what stil needs to happen before u  guys think about a public release   

just wondering been fallowing this forum like for ever and i ceep seeing  a lot of nice stuf but i also wonder about the stuf i dont see 

cardmaster
cardmaster's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 9 months ago
Joined: 02/12/2014 - 10:40
Karma: 2
Probably better to add a

Probably better to add a release calendar and introduce f.e. a percentage completed rating for each Skywind district. This gives a better idea how the project is going. The release video's do not give a clear view if what is being shown in the video actually is completed.

zilav
zilav's picture
Contributor
Offline
Last seen: 10 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 11/26/2012 - 12:51
Karma: 1338
Community projects never have

Community projects never have a working calendar since people do it for free.

Digmaster
Digmaster's picture
Member
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 6 months ago
Joined: 10/09/2010 - 13:58
Karma: 42
Easy solution would be some
Easy solution would be some checkbox with big letters that says to not report bugs and lists some big issues. Is there any proper channel to get the current download? I've been following this project since it was morroblivion and it would be nice to see the bloody thing. Also hopefully contribute to cluttering balmora interiors :P
Slice_of_kris
Slice_of_kris's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 9 months ago
Joined: 12/11/2013 - 20:18
Karma: -5
what if you are not a shit

what if you are not a shit cunt where do you download it from?

 

*USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST*

read the rules people... 

no1
no1's picture
Member
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 4 months ago
Joined: 01/13/2013 - 10:32
Karma: 514
 wow guys ceep it nice have

 wow  ceep it nice have respect for a project that work totaly free and so ambitious

what are you the comment section of youtube

Ravanna
Ravanna's picture
Contributor
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 8 months ago
Joined: 02/19/2013 - 12:21
Karma: 2596
Donor
yeah theres also the slight

yeah theres also the slight issue of the game still using many morrowind assets as placeholders, without an installer to check u have morrowind, therefore distributing illegal assets, which is what we are working to remove.

theres been less traffic here since we removed public download, but we made the most amount of progress in modelling in that time. So no harm done there.

seeing a terrible unfinished game makes some people want to help, but it also makes others lose faith/interest.

Also: sh*tc*nt is the best term ever, I'm going to start using it in common conversation, thank you.

Mace
Mace's picture
Moderator
Offline
Last seen: 8 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 02/14/2014 - 09:48
Karma: 704
I'm not sure you can actually

I'm not sure you can actually label high traffic as exclusively good or bad. Of course there'll be more traffic if the download is available, but that traffic might not actually be people who contribute, and just put further load on the project with irrelevant questions or complaining. On the other hand the mod might help spread the word around, helping us gain further reputation. Either way, it's a trade-off.

To me the way it currently is makes the most sense, if you have something to contribute to the project, the game files will be made available to you, if not, you're out of luck. There'll be plenty of time to test and debug later on, and the project will likely be available for download when that time comes, but that is simply not where the project currently is.

Sancez
Sancez's picture
Member
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 3 months ago
Joined: 01/25/2014 - 18:08
Karma: 104
Releasing it when it's done

Releasing it when it's done is the best way, too many trolls out there. But a public beta, maybe just a little portion of the game, would be a good compromise maybe. Like a demo. Maybe the start of the game, full voiced, with a few quest and the npcs dressed. Maybe this would satisfy someone and attract contributors. Just a suggestion.

Crestycomb
Crestycomb's picture
Contributor
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 22 hours ago
Joined: 10/28/2014 - 10:19
Karma: 480
That's an excellent idea. o.0

That's an excellent idea. o.0

alysander
alysander's picture
Member
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 8 months ago
Joined: 09/27/2013 - 06:34
Karma: 1519
I can see this : you are

I can see this : you are going on ship from imperial jail, you are creating your personage, you are filling the papers and now you are on island, that consists only of Seyda Neen :)

Ashking Wulfharth
Ashking Wulfharth's picture
Member
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 11 months ago
Joined: 01/10/2014 - 18:30
Karma: 591
Donor
I have suggested this before,

I have suggested this before, but I will again:

We should release one closed city as a teaser/proof of concept. Whatever city we are closest on, we can shift focus to and release with voices, clothes, etc... It will help us refine our pipeline and double our membership.

alysander
alysander's picture
Member
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 8 months ago
Joined: 09/27/2013 - 06:34
Karma: 1519
I would vote for epic

I would vote for epic sulfurous-tectonic Caldera. Hovewer even Caldera must be worked and worked...

no1
no1's picture
Member
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 4 months ago
Joined: 01/13/2013 - 10:32
Karma: 514
i would say just ceep going

i would say just ceep going what u doing nowe  no need to put more work on the table to make a demo u wil eventually get to the point u think this is something we can release  this wil be cool  those ho remember the last release and than see a version that is mostly finish wil get u a lot of hype for sure 

 

Sancez
Sancez's picture
Member
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 3 months ago
Joined: 01/25/2014 - 18:08
Karma: 104
Actually releasing the demo

Actually releasing the demo may turn out in less work, if it will success in attracting contributors. I know for a lot of people the arrival at Seyda Neen by ship means a lot in terms of memories and emotions, so that portion of the game may be the perfect demo.

One thing you should keep in mind if you guys are actually considering making a demo: who cares about combat?
We all know Skyrim combat system and even if Skywind will probably tweak it a lot, the basics are the same, so who cares. The whole point of Skywind is Morrowind in Skyrim engine, with its own characteristics:

- Full voiced NPCs.
- New meshes and textures of the whole Seyda Neen (ship, port, lighthouse, houses).
- New craft system, tailoring etc (just samples, not the whole thing of course).

The demo should not be big, it should be dense. The people who play the demo should be able, in this small area (Seyda Neen), to do a comparison between Morrowind and Skywind, because its from this comparison that I think comes the full potential of your project. Even people who never played Morrowind like me will be able to see this, because everyone know Morrowind and its first location one way or another, it's too much famous.
You start the game, exit the ship, create your character, taking your documents and then you are out in Seyda Neen. Maybe do some quests in the area, like the search for the ring, the taxes quest when you have to look where the guy keeps his money from the lighthouse. Then you talk to the NPCs in the tavern, buy stuff like some weapons and armors already made, craft same other stuff. Use the new beautiful alchemy labs.
Everything fully voiced, with Skywind soundtracks, every mesh and texture replaced. And that beautiful Imperial armor that it's in work on this forum on the guards.


You could also do a video comparison with split screen: to the left Morrowind, to the right Skywind, from the start to the end of the demo.

 

cardmaster
cardmaster's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 9 months ago
Joined: 02/12/2014 - 10:40
Karma: 2
I agree with Sancez. Public

I agree with Sancez. Public demo does not have to be large it could be kept small. Giving people the possibility to actually experience part of Skywind should bring in more contributors. An added bonus is that you can get feedback on stuff in the demo and also some bug reports/ feedback. That way you can improve the game further and eventually bring out a game that everyone really would like to play.  

DEG_fan
DEG_fan's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 7 months ago
Joined: 12/31/2014 - 00:26
Karma: 2
I have to agree with

I have to agree with thermador. Making Skywind closed/private makes it harder to attract people. It also discourages potential modders 'cause it's not as accessible. Was the only reason for making it private because of the idiotic questions? I was super stoked when I bought Morrowind because I was going to get Skywind right away.  You guys could make a rules page, emphasize the FAQ page, or you could just close their threads or refer them to another thread. You're always going to receive idiotic question. It happens all the time about Garry's Mod and Rust on Facepunch still.

There was a lot of traffic coming into Facepunch when Rust was released in alpha. It was really annoying because hundreds of kids would make accounts and spam the forums begging for Rust codes. They would go to every sub-forum and random threads asking about Rust. For a while Garry decided to disable registrations and gold membership purchases. These kids would also buy gold membership (ten bucks). They thought that if they bought a gold membership they would receive a Rust code. Eventually, a system was devised where you would have to pay for Rust. Every day a countdown would start and the starting price of Rust would be $200. Eventually the game would be free. The only problem was that there was a limit of codes being released everyday and once Rust hit less than $20, it was nearly impossible to get it.

For quite sometime the forum was ruined because some annoying Rust beggar would come in every thread and, "blah blah blah gimme Rust." When Rust was officially released, it got even worse. These kids didn't bother reading the forum rules, they would ask questions and post shit anywhere they pleased. Because of this, they were usually banned, given a warning, and their thread was closed. If they did it again, they were permabanned. If there is a Rust sub-forum, then I do not want to see Rust related topics in the Automotive, Minecraft, PC Building, Sensational Headlines, etc. etc. sub-forums. Facepunch went through hell because of Rust.

Thermocrius
Thermocrius's picture
Contributor
Offline
Last seen: 7 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 05/12/2013 - 13:58
Karma: 233
The FAQ page needs to be

The FAQ page needs to be updated badly. I'm not responsible for that though, all I know is that we've had big trouble with people downloading Skywind and then flooding the forums with questions we already had addressed a billion times. ("WHY IS EVERYBODY NAKED!?", "WHY DOES THE GAME CRASH NEAR X" etc.)

Personally, I think it should remain closed. Even if people don't like it, it is unfortunately 'a necessary evil' for now.

eliaslear
eliaslear's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 9 months ago
Joined: 08/08/2013 - 16:50
Karma: 3
for me, the videos are demos

for me, the videos are demos enough. let's me know our awesome devs are working their ass' off for us noobs so we can have the biggest, best game ever, once again in a more beautiful form. i can make do with just watching the videos on youtube. for others wanting to see progress, just look at :

https://www.youtube.com/user/TESRSkywindOfficial

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbvpWz69_0gOG4_j7o8coBQ

ConiferF
ConiferF's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 9 months ago
Joined: 10/15/2013 - 16:30
Karma: 2
It sounds like to me, at

It sounds like to me, at least and I am only basing my comments on this thread alone, that the main reason for the this project to go private was because of stupid questions popping up everywhere, people posting without first searching for an answer.  I find it understandable that the main leaders of the project got annoyed with the overabundance of added threads that pop up every time someone encounters a known bug that everyone who reads the forums know about. 

To me Skywind, that I was able to download about a year ago, was playable, it had rough edges to it but I was still able to explore the land, and at the time, see the reworked textures and meshes and voice acting that was created for this grand enterprise. So having on the main download page it being "very alpha state" seems to be a half truth to me.  I look forward to seeing what has been created since the last time I was able to download Skywind.

I had some ideas that I hope you consider in hope of releasing Skywind.  The one thought I had is that no one seemed to search for the answers to their questions. So, how about making a in-game book of FAQ and common list of bugs that have been encountered and have those books be placed on every NPC and creature so that people would take notice and hopefully read. Maybe even have a Forum Rule Book so people will hopefully pay attention.

Another idea would to be able to limit people to certain parts of the forums that are used for development of Skywind so people can't post idiotic questions that have been answered since they have been discovered.

It would be nice to be able to walk around Vvardenfell again AND also be able to shout at people who have no idea what is going on or even know what shouting is.  I have no idea when Skywind will be released, and I have not been able to find anything current that says it will be released soon, and I personally cannot wait for any type of release.

zilav
zilav's picture
Contributor
Offline
Last seen: 10 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 11/26/2012 - 12:51
Karma: 1338
People don't read on

People don't read on internetz. And they read even less in games. Sad, but true.

Forum is already divided into private and public parts, along with the chat. "It would be nice to be able to walk" doesn't help development at all. You either learn how to mod (there are plenty of tutorials on CK) to help with the project and gain access now, or patiently wait like others.

Scrollicious
Scrollicious's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 6 months ago
Joined: 03/03/2014 - 16:10
Karma: 2
The biggest problem I see in

The biggest problem I see in having a public download right now is that a ton of YouTubers will start doing premature playthroughs (i.e. Let's Play Skywind) of it and people will lose interest due to incompleteness/bugs before the 1.0 version even releases.

steph
steph's picture
Member
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 7 months ago
Joined: 06/26/2008 - 05:00
Karma: 314
thermador wrote:

thermador wrote:


One thing I can definitely tell you - website traffic is way down since they took the project private, and that decision is also why I personally no longer contribute to it and have focused my modding interests elsewhere.

That's exactly why I dont contribute to skyblivion or skywind. These have become typical of some of the past big projects for Oblivion .. Just a place to run up your postcount. To me, it's just one more project that will never be 'finished' or 'released'. Eventually it will just fade away.

eloth
eloth's picture
Moderator
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 07/16/2010 - 06:12
Karma: 1233
Steph:

Steph:

You wouldnt have contributed even if we had a gazillion skywind downloads, so dont spout nonsense, skywind will be finished, nomatter what people may think, and when its finally finished, you can look back at my post here, and you will regret not taking part in this great project.

Skywind public will come soon enough.

no1
no1's picture
Member
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 4 months ago
Joined: 01/13/2013 - 10:32
Karma: 514
 maby close the topic i think

 maby close the topic i think the origenal poster has  his answer  and i dont like where this is going 

also thanks eliaslear some howe i mist skywind official development video 3 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ql3FNCrYkGU

lukkar
lukkar's picture
Contributor
Offline
Last seen: 10 months 18 hours ago
Joined: 01/24/2014 - 07:22
Karma: 1565
steph wrote:

steph wrote:

That's exactly why I dont contribute to skyblivion or skywind. These have become typical of some of the past big projects for Oblivion .. Just a place to run up your postcount. To me, it's just one more project that will never be 'finished' or 'released'. Eventually it will just fade away.

grumpycat
grumpycat's picture
Moderator
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 12/08/2012 - 06:41
Karma: 3383
I'm just replying to this to

I'm just replying to this to run up my post count. Any chance I can get a thumbs up for this to help that? I don't actually care about the game, was never that into it...

 

Ashking Wulfharth
Ashking Wulfharth's picture
Member
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 11 months ago
Joined: 01/10/2014 - 18:30
Karma: 591
Donor
Why would someone who thinks

Why would someone who thinks the project is doomed even have an active account here? Go away.

People like you are why we keep stuff under wraps. Well that and all the people who just want to steal our assets for their own mods, like the Russians that Rav busted a few days back running free with some of our mushrooms.

Sjors Boomschors
Sjors Boomschors's picture
Contributor
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 3 weeks ago
Joined: 07/21/2011 - 07:49
Karma: 811
A discussion topic like this

A discussion topic like this is the funniest to read. It shows that people don’t understand general modding and the current status of the project.

Current status of the project:
We are in need of new assets (models, textures and sound), by recreation of the old TES3 Morrowind ones.

All one needs is to own is the original game Morrowind, so one could check out the original assets. And the forum will indicate what assets still need to be recreated.

Search for --> [UNCLAIMED]

Its not to hard to understand.

Why walk around in a bugged and CTD environment if one can run around in the original game to check out the original assets.

agure
agure's picture
Member
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 4 months ago
Joined: 01/07/2015 - 13:57
Karma: 8
Don't kid yourselves people

Don't kid yourselves people this will go the way of the Kotor 2 restoration mod that was ditched and destroyed because the project leads ego got in the way, (Dstoney had no idea how to script some scenes properly and ditched the team with all of our work that was not included in the torrent that's floating around, rather than admitting he might have needed help.)

You killed traffic during the baby stages of this modification because you were tired of answering questions created by idiots who couldn't read the FAQ. Why bother answering them? Why not set up a bug tracker? it's pretty hard to justify this laziness/ego but you guys are really doing that well so far.

Not only that but your goal to finish it before 2016 is hilarious at best... This community has had many modders actively want to participate, that you all have either ignored or flat out attacked if they refused to mod this due to a waning interest. You guys didn't have to make it a closed alpha but you did, way to alienate a crowd. 

So you've killed the mod and progress is going to come to a crawl, hows Morroblivion doing btw? ( 6 years and 6 months and counting, shouldn't take that long given the available resources.)  If you are still in absolute denial about this fact, why hasn't the project azure coast been touched in about half a year?

But hey, At least you aren't being asked any stupid questions anymore, right? 

Ashking Wulfharth
Ashking Wulfharth's picture
Member
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 11 months ago
Joined: 01/10/2014 - 18:30
Karma: 591
Donor
Not so many stupid questions.

Not so many stupid questions. Just constantly being attacked by people with some inexplicable sense of entitlement. We don't owe you an alpha release. In fact, we don't owe you a mod. The world doesn't owe you free entertainment. We're having fun. You should try to help out and maybe you will have fun too. Everyone here is cool. Except me. I'm a total jerk.

Progress is actually booming. And we've recently brought on many TALENTED artists and voice actors. We've also brought on quite a few people who aren't so tech savvy but just want to help, so they do navmeshing and other useful things around here. If we get more people to help, we can get to a point where we feel comfortable sharing more quickly.

agure
agure's picture
Member
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 4 months ago
Joined: 01/07/2015 - 13:57
Karma: 8
Take off your rose colored

Take off your rose colored glasses and actual try and interpret my statement as hard as that might be, rather than misinterpreting it to look smug. I was telling you why taking down the download was bad for the development project given that it's looking for help, NOT that I wanted you to put it up so I can download it now.

Doesn't matter Anyways, you guys murdered the interest for it and by extension the mod project itself.

I mean it's nice that a bunch of talented artists and voice actors are trying to help by making a lot of drawings and a bunch of gruff sounding dark elves, and the less tech savvy guys are trying to contribute too (Because let’s face it they don't know any better than to help this doomed project, they are still new to modding in general.) But a lot of experienced modders won’t touch this project with a ten foot pole because they know it's a waste of time.

As for my proof of all of this leading to nothing, I've pointed out the absolutely major tasks haven't even been remotely done or even started. Just look at the development page topics for the percentages (Might want to lift up the rose colored glasses for that to for an actual reality check).

I never said you'd owe me anything, but you WILL owe all the people who have contributed their valuable time to this mod only to find out that it essentially died in development hell due to poor decisions and a lack critical thinking by the projects leads. All of this happened because you were tired of people asking for help, if this sounds as dumb of a reason in retrospective now as it should have back then, well,  congratulations you've just had your first moment of clarity since making a terrible development decision

Otherwise I hope those rose colored glasses you've glued to your face make it easier to stomach the death of this project when it does happen, you can reminisce on how much potential it had and how "It wasn't anyones fault" when it disappears off the internet or inevitably gets abandoned for the new engine.

 

Taerkalith
Taerkalith's picture
Moderator
Offline
Last seen: 9 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 04/10/2014 - 04:58
Karma: 1294
Ok, let's not feed the troll.

Ok, let's not feed the troll. Agure, there's a bunch of reasons why a public download is not a good thing right now, although one day it will be open to testing when things are farther along. Please try to be respectful of the community and we'll do the same with you.

FearsomeMudcrab
FearsomeMudcrab's picture
Member
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 7 months ago
Joined: 03/03/2014 - 14:22
Karma: 29
Jeez this whole thread is

Jeez this whole thread is such a downer I don't know why everyone has to be so pessimistic and grouchy. If you want my personal opinion (which I imagine no one could give a rats ass about) I think the projects been going pretty smoothly considering all the bumps and work to be done but maybe tone down the 'sekret klub guiez' vibe it has never helped any project ever.

agure
agure's picture
Member
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 4 months ago
Joined: 01/07/2015 - 13:57
Karma: 8
I don't think that word means

I don't think that word means what you think that means, a troll is someone who incites an argument on the internet to incite discourse getting pleasure through schadenfreude. I am trying to argue for the sake of this projects life span, but so far I've gotten no real argument here. Just sad personal attacks, and snake oil "we are making progress" comments without any real proof and more so to the contrary.

Please enlighten me here as to one of the many reasons, I'd like to hear in great detail rather than a vague and rather condescending throw away reply.

FearsomeMudcrab wrote:

Jeez this whole thread is such a downer I don't know why everyone has to be so pessimistic and grouchy. If you want my personal opinion (which I imagine no one could give a rats ass about) I think the projects been going pretty smoothly considering all the bumps and work to be done but maybe tone down the 'sekret klub guiez' vibe it has never helped any project ever.

Agreed, and of course people are pessimistic and grouchy here. That tends to happen when an internet community starts to die and no one wants to admit it, like at ESO for an example. (Or a certain Kotor2 modding team for another.)

Taerkalith
Taerkalith's picture
Moderator
Offline
Last seen: 9 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 04/10/2014 - 04:58
Karma: 1294
Agure, I told other people

Agure, I told other people not to feed the troll and I'm breaking my own advice. So I'm going to try to keep this short and sweet.

"I don't think that word means what you think that means, a troll is someone who incites an argument on the internet to incite discourse getting pleasure through schadenfreude."

I do very much indeed believe this is what you're doing.

Please find something meaningful to do with your time, it'll make me feel better and I bet you as well. If you're truly bored we could use navmeshers for doing the finished landscapes or there's tons of awesome games that have come out recently one could play. Otherwise I wish you the best but please don't continue with your negativity or making personal attacks concerning people's intelligence, it's not a form of constructive criticism. Thank you!

Ashking Wulfharth
Ashking Wulfharth's picture
Member
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 11 months ago
Joined: 01/10/2014 - 18:30
Karma: 591
Donor
Hahahaha. Rose colored

Hahahaha. Rose colored glasses. You're funny. I like you.

You really think we are going to give you a status report because you say we are a dying community? It's funny that you want to play Coroner when you don't even have a finger on the pulse. You know next to nothing about where we are on this project or how close we are to completion. We don't have time to give you a status report. I am going to give you something, though; perspective.

There is no cash prize at the end of this journey. Nobody is going to rain glory upon our heads or send us thank you cards. Even if we have this done, released, and bug checked by tomorrow, we will still likely have to deal with haters and stupid questions. The conclusion is not the point. We are enjoying ourselves. The journey is the point. We won't owe an apology to those involved, because they have loved every minute of it. That's why we do it for free. The people who are doing this also do it because they are building portfolios and making contacts. I know of a couple people here that have gotten paid work by asking for contacts from other people who are working here.

I'm sorry you have such a jaded and uninformed, yet all-knowing view of every modding community that ever existed. This is the third TES modding community that I have been involved with over the last 12 years, and I will say that it is the best, most talented, and nicest group of people I have ever had the privilege to work with. The friends that I've made by actually getting involved are worth more to me than any grand release could ever match. I ask you one more time. Get involved in this project. This community is very much alive, dedicated, and passionate.

agure
agure's picture
Member
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 4 months ago
Joined: 01/07/2015 - 13:57
Karma: 8
Ashking progress speaks

Ashking progress speaks louder than words, you don't have to be a coronor to see roadkill coming a mile away. A status report is actually something that generates interest in the modding community, and any PR is good PR. Secondly no you don't need to be a part of the community for 12 years to know projects gain traction with interest, All you need is common sense actually.

You know what looks better on a portfolio? A finished project, it's easy enough to say everyone is doing this for the journey but I am pretty sure there are people here who actually are looking forward to playing the game with this mod (that they have contributed too, to try and speed up the process) who would say otherwise. 

Also finally are we really going to resort to the "I've been here longer" Routine, I was around at the end when the morrowind modding community started up (first mod was a house, I was a kid back then mind you). I will be here afterwards too, people (me included) have indicated that they'd like to join this project if it would be a bit more open to the rest of the community is all I am arguing here.

Adding the download and allowing more traffic flow will have it's pro's and con's for sure, but the Pro's far FAR outweigh the cons and who knows? You'd make even more friends that way too?

 

P.S Taerkalith (I was going to say I never called anyone an idiot, but I had done so actually, sorry bout that. I am just irritated that this could disappear because of a decision that wasn't being thoroughly discussed and neutrally viewed.) personal attacks and accusations of me being a troll however, because you don't agree with me, doesn't change the meaning of the word. You're right though about one thing, I shouldn't feed the troll.

Smitehammer
Smitehammer's picture
Contributor
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 4 months ago
Joined: 07/04/2013 - 15:07
Karma: 984
We're not really dead.

We're not really dead. Progress is being made, but there's still a lot to do. Certain things come before others. Script before VA, interior assets before interior cluttering, a basic playable game frame before public release and bug testing. We're not stingy with people who want to contribute models, animations, or CK stuff. If someone really wants to play Skywind and see the progress first-hand, they can join the team.

Dragomir
Dragomir's picture
Contributor
Offline
Last seen: 7 months 4 weeks ago
Joined: 04/23/2013 - 16:22
Karma: 2009
I think the main problem of

I think the main problem of Skywind here is how it deals with community. We don't have a gallery, we do have Squally's videos but they're not available on the site and not everyone bothers to look on Youtube, the site seems dead from the outside, until you look through the forums to see the firm progress. We could probably use a person dedicated to updating the site, some community manager, but the focus is shifted on getting people to work on the game content itself. Do we need more volounteers? For certain tasks, definetly. But more volounteers means more management, and not everyone is capable of that, not to mention that without money involved we get a lot of loose cannons who just want to do their own thing.

Ashking Wulfharth
Ashking Wulfharth's picture
Member
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 11 months ago
Joined: 01/10/2014 - 18:30
Karma: 591
Donor
Hey! I resemble that remark

Hey! I resemble that remark :P

@Argue- You've been modding for that long and you can't be bothered to help around here? In the time it took you to write your snide little senior thesis you could have nav-meshed a dungeon or cluttered a house. Everyone wants to cry that we act like a gated community, but the door is unlocked. If you want to come in, just do some work. If you are unwilling to work, then I really have no use for you as a human being.

We can't post an alpha because we don't think it's ready and people will steal our assets. Then they release some crap mod with our models. Then we release our good mod and morons come around saying, "You stole those models. Durr durr durrrr." That con outweighs all the pros.

I'm done with this thread.

Sancez
Sancez's picture
Member
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 3 months ago
Joined: 01/25/2014 - 18:08
Karma: 104
Just close the topic. It's

Just close the topic. It's ridiculousIt could have been an opportunity to improve the public relations of the project by brainstorming ideas. Just close it.

 

lukkar
lukkar's picture
Contributor
Offline
Last seen: 10 months 18 hours ago
Joined: 01/24/2014 - 07:22
Karma: 1565
The only think what I can say

The only think what I can say PR and "human resources management" could be better here. I have seen many good artists (illustrator) which will be useful for example in books illustrations, but they were skipped. Second thing is that I understand that many people don't have time to lead sb by the nose. But if you don't pay, you can't demand.

agure
agure's picture
Member
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 4 months ago
Joined: 01/07/2015 - 13:57
Karma: 8
Ashking Wulfharth wrote:

Ashking Wulfharth wrote:

Hey! I resemble that remark :P

@Argue- You've been modding for that long and you can't be bothered to help around here? In the time it took you to write your snide little senior thesis you could have nav-meshed a dungeon or cluttered a house. Everyone wants to cry that we act like a gated community, but the door is unlocked. If you want to come in, just do some work. If you are unwilling to work, then I really have no use for you as a human being.

We can't post an alpha because we don't think it's ready and people will steal our assets. Then they release some crap mod with our models. Then we release our good mod and morons come around saying, "You stole those models. Durr durr durrrr." That con outweighs all the pros.

I'm done with this thread.

This is the attitude I am talking about, at the end of the day when people have nothing of substance to add they turn to a default negative response because they have no idea how to react. Already told you why I feel it'd be a waste of time to nav-mesh a dungeon for you guys when you have literally sabotaged the traction this mod was getting in the first place. 

Lets put it this way: the average human life expectancy is about 80 years where I live, in hours that's about 700800. Take away twilight years and current age the amount of time i'd have to contribute is about 350400 hours. Why would I spend any of that amount of time I'd be willing to spend on a mod that I feel had no chance of going anywhere due to PR sabotage, when I can continue to work on a merchant empire mod that would see results in a couple weeks?

Also if everyone is crying that you are acting like a gated community, then news flash, maybe you guys actually are behaving like one? Or is it everyone else fault?

Adding a download is just one of the solutions but ignoring the problem out right just makes it worse in the end, seriously listen, don't cut off your nose to spite your face. Hell people are saying from an outward point of view this mod looks dead even, how is that not a bad thing if you are such an open door community? 

As for the alphas issue, that's not just a thing specific to you guys Mr spend your time in the community. You'd be surprised how many mods take models that they don't credit for, it's pretty irritating.

But as I said before, rose colored glasses and all of that.

lukkar wrote:

The only think what I can say PR and "human resources management" could be better here. I have seen many good artists (illustrator) which will be useful for example in books illustrations, but they were skipped. Second thing is that I understand that many people don't have time to lead sb by the nose. But if you don't pay, you can't demand.

Do what open MW is doing right now? Even if there engine rebuild is barely if not at all playable they still update with videos of their progress and it's gained a pretty good niche following. Hell updating the front page more often might be beneficial too at least? Another idea maybe is to revamp the design of the website from eye burning baby/sky blue to something easier? Just some ideas...

Dragomir
Dragomir's picture
Contributor
Offline
Last seen: 7 months 4 weeks ago
Joined: 04/23/2013 - 16:22
Karma: 2009
There's another skin

There's another skin available and it's quite pretty, with Lelek 1980's Telvanni Tower. And video updates on the progress of Skywind are frequent on our Youtube channel. I think it's mostly the site that needs to be more updated and informative, and that alone would save us from many stupid questions.

Pages

Topic locked