Pages

86 posts / 0 new
Last post
Ravanna
Ravanna's picture
Contributor
Donor
Red Mountain Developement (critical path and controversy)

Let the fight commence! 

I done gone f*cked up red mountain.

To make it around 30,000 high, a LOT had to change.
Here is a turn around of the mountain (without textures, and only initial sculpt) with the critical path in red to reach the top.

Names of locations are shown, with an arrow showing if they have to be moved up.
Sorry for creating more work for landscapers but it really needs to be something that blows away the player at the end.

I also just uploaded the practise red mountain smoke too.
its a wip.

Edited by: grumpycat on 12/08/2014 - 20:14
Ravanna
Ravanna's picture
Contributor
Donor
video: http://youtu.be/QlC
AttachmentSize
Image icon RMplume.jpg222.56 KB
LASentry
LASentry's picture
Donor
Daaaaaayum!!!

Daaaaaayum!!!

Josie
Josie's picture
Q__________________Q It

Q__________________Q

It looks...so...good...

DIYDeath
DIYDeath's picture
Honestly, I hated the old Red

Honestly, I hated the old Red Mountain...it was ugly, misshapen and bland...its one of the only things I absolutely hated in Morrowind so I'm happy to see it improved, especially with that ash plume.

Good job.

Will there be lava flows?

SquallyDaBeanz
SquallyDaBeanz's picture
Contributor
This. I have no words to

This. I have no words to describe my excitement for this. Don't worry about making more work for landscapers, because I am VERY eager to work on this if needed. Keep us updated and keep up the good work, and get this bad boy implemented as soon as possible! 

Dragomir
Dragomir's picture
Contributor
This is exactly the kind of

This is exactly the kind of things we should change in comparison to Morrowind :D I can't wait to see that hovering over Vvardenfell's landscape.

stijmunkey
stijmunkey's picture
Contributor
Donor
Lol silly ravanna thinking
Lol silly ravanna thinking improving stuff would be controversial. :p
Shushine
Shushine's picture
Contributor
stijmunkey wrote:Lol silly

stijmunkey wrote:

Lol silly ravanna thinking improving stuff would be controversial. :p

If there is one thing that i've learned; its that any deviation from lore is a cause for controversy 

stijmunkey
stijmunkey's picture
Contributor
Donor
This is true, Darn lore
This is true, Darn lore nazis, but in this particular case we are actually correcting the game to comply with the lore
bluesausage
bluesausage's picture
only complaint I can come up

only complaint I can come up with is that the picture showing the path is too small. I can't read anything on it.... but otherwise this is absolutely amazing work. I'm sure it'll look as epic as it should have in the game.

Mrthecheesecaker
Mrthecheesecaker's picture
@bluesausage Click the image

@bluesausage

Click the image and then click 'original' at the bottom of the image. It should show it at full resolution.

bluesausage
bluesausage's picture
oh thanks. musta missed that

oh thanks. musta missed that butten. using my phone. heh

grumpycat
grumpycat's picture
HOLY (red mountain) SMOKE!!

HOLY (red mountain) SMOKE!!

Dragomir
Dragomir's picture
Contributor
Now, this got me so excited

Now, this got me so excited that I got a few ideas, one less and one more crazy :P

The first one is, that you could add a bit more red haze and fiery light on the smoke plume. After all, the lava should give off some light on it, especially during the night. I edited the picture a little bit to show what I mean:

That way it would look even more sinister, especially during the nights.

Now, another thing I was thinking of is much more crazy, and probably if it ever happens it would end up as a sub-mod. An awesome one though :D
Still, this shouldn't be too high on the priority lists.

Are you familliar with the awesome Real Clouds mod for Skyrim? To me it's essential for good Skyrim athmosphere, I was so angry when I saw no clouds in the valleys when I climbed up to High Hrothgar.

Now, in the description you can see that in this mod all the clouds spread from one place at the beginning. Already getting an idea? :D What if, big ash clouds would separate from the plume of Red Mountain, and travel over Vvardenfell? It's importance would be as follows: in the Real Clouds mod, if you walk into a cloud that is on the ground level, the rainy/storm weather is triggered and you have volumetric particle fog there too. Now, in Skywind, it would be even more meaningful, as walking into an ashcloud would mean you've entered a Blight Storm. Imagine how fearsome it would be to see those menacing clouds forming up on the horizon and then making it's way towards you... Especially if you could also hear it from distance, howling wind building up as the storm closes up on you. The menacing sight of ashstorm coming... That would be so damn athmospheric. And it seems possible, looking at the Real Clouds mod.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iD1Ff1h_4so

Ravanna
Ravanna's picture
Contributor
Donor
1st idea: agreed 2nd idea

1st idea: agreed

2nd idea : agreed, already thought of it, there are some bugs, but yes I would very much like those 3d clouds, :)

hangman04
hangman04's picture
and for the ash storm one can

and for the ash storm one can check dynamic snow mod. compared to vanilla snow storm it gives a really nice immersive feeling.

Serithi
Serithi's picture
Hell yes to all those ideas.

Hell yes to all those ideas.

grumpycat
grumpycat's picture
What if, big ash clouds would

What if, big ash clouds would separate from the plume of Red Mountain, and travel over Vvardenfell? It's importance would be as follows: in the Real Clouds mod, if you walk into a cloud that is on the ground level, the rainy/storm weather is triggered and you have volumetric particle fog there too. Now, in Skywind, it would be even more meaningful, as walking into an ashcloud would mean you've entered a Blight Storm. Imagine how fearsome it would be to see those menacing clouds forming up on the horizon and then making it's way towards you

I've tried a few things in the past around this type of idea. Eloth gave me the task checking out the real clouds mod.

However there is a difference between particles and solid alpha models (real cloud). Particles are not visible at a distance. Solid models are not particular immersive once entered into.

But its possible to have a mix of both. I think we will need to make a custom set of models as Ravanna has done with the plume.

The model would turn forwards, top to bottom, and some particle effects can be added for billowing. In theory of course, doing this work is just a concept.

DIYDeath
DIYDeath's picture
Ashstorms that approach you

Ashstorms that approach you as a Sandstorm would...that would be quite the scene..in fact it would make some epic trailer footage.

LASentry
LASentry's picture
Donor
I agree...

I agree... :)

grumpycat
grumpycat's picture
Red mountain from

Red mountain from Caldera

Ghostgate

LASentry
LASentry's picture
Donor
Wow, now that's a volcano! 

Wow, now that's a volcano! 

Ravanna
Ravanna's picture
Contributor
Donor
*does scottish jig of joy

*does scottish jig of joy

SikSikSikki
SikSikSikki's picture
I'm a friend of Soolie, the

I'm a friend of Soolie, the mod author who does Real Clouds, so if anyone hasn't talked to him about using resources from his mod, I'd be willing to ask him myself.

-EDIT-
Like so -cough cough-

grumpycat
grumpycat's picture
Ok thanks SikSikSikki,

Ok thanks SikSikSikki, awesome proactiveness from a first time poster :) A team of us, including Soolie are doing a seasonal changing mod, so I can ask him if he wants to help. But I've pretty much gone through Real Clouds in the past and there isn't a lot we can use.

SikSikSikki
SikSikSikki's picture
I've been here for awhile

I've been here for awhile (way longer than I thought, actually) but I don't exactly have a lot I can contribute to the Skywind project save for maybe landscaping, cluttering maybe and art, though my art is hardly needed, so I figured I could try helping with SOMETHING.

Ravanna
Ravanna's picture
Contributor
Donor
hey have u seen our clutter?

hey have u seen our clutter? :P we aalways need help with stuff

grumpycat
grumpycat's picture
Just giving people an idea of

Just giving people an idea of topology

before...where that volcano at!?!

AFTER!!! MWHAHAHAHA

digitalparanoid
digitalparanoid's picture
bad joke alert Dagoth Ur got
LASentry
LASentry's picture
Donor
Hahahahahhaa

Hahahahahhaa

Serithi
Serithi's picture
Inb4 "Red Mountain" appears

Inb4 "Red Mountain" appears as boner slang in UrbanDicitionary. :P

grumpycat
grumpycat's picture
More like a hard nipple

More like a hard nipple

Dragomir
Dragomir's picture
Contributor
We really need to redesign

We really need to redesign Dagoth Ur citadel to be as epic as this mountain :P

grumpycat
grumpycat's picture
Thanks to the wizardry of

Thanks to the wizardry of alexanderb and ravanna we have a pluming great...

alexanderb
alexanderb's picture
Contributor
better one incoming

better one incoming

alexanderb
alexanderb's picture
Contributor
https://www.youtube.com/watch
Ravanna
Ravanna's picture
Contributor
Donor
Happy is this the mesh I sent

Happy is this the mesh I sent u the other day? It doesnt feel like the same one, the UVs are off and the colours arent the same.

ALso, the UVs are way too fast.

grumpycat
grumpycat's picture
I'm wondering if the blight

I'm wondering if the blight storm can be similar to the plume, obviously red, more transparent to show the mountain.

I've posted these pics before, but still keen to get the violence of a storm via some visual effects. If we can get lightning going, I think I'd be hypnotized into watching it for several hours...and I mean literally.

Ravanna
Ravanna's picture
Contributor
Donor
there are a few ways to model

there are a few ways to model the lightning, and I have an idea for the blight spirallng down the mountain like a hurricane.
Ormin and someone else mentioned it should be possible to flicker models using nifskope, to make them appear and dissappear. for my part, i can only send u stuff and u try getting it to work.

DIYDeath
DIYDeath's picture
Damn, this is sexy. Damn...

Damn, this is sexy. Damn...

Tajnarasha
Tajnarasha's picture
That thread necro!!!

That thread necro!!!

That being said, this is easily one of the best improvements from vanilla Morrowind that I can think of. How far are we along the implementation of the new mountain? I know there was an episode with the height-map acting all crazy, but we've had very little updates since. It would be awesome to get some more dev feedback on this one :)

TheBusStop
TheBusStop's picture
This looks really awesome. I

This looks really awesome. I was really sad when I first played Morrowind, and couldn't find Red Mountain, and than only to find out it was a sad little hill. This looks like a real volcano.

Some Chump
Some Chump's picture
Red Mountain should be quite

Red Mountain should be quite calm in the beginning of the game and as the main quest progresses becomes more violent, ending in a giant swirling maelstrom, covering the whole of Vvardenfell in a dark cloud with a bright red beacon of death at its centre. This will give the player a feeling of being in a dynamic world, where the main quest is building to an epic climax.

Serithi
Serithi's picture
Some Chump wrote:

Some Chump wrote:

Red Mountain should be quite calm in the beginning of the game and as the main quest progresses becomes more violent, ending in a giant swirling maelstrom, covering the whole of Vvardenfell in a dark cloud with a bright red beacon of death at its centre. This will give the player a feeling of being in a dynamic world, where the main quest is building to an epic climax.

Agreed.

ZeroSbr
ZeroSbr's picture
Serithi wrote:

Serithi wrote:

Some Chump wrote:

Agreed.

You know, if we could pull this off, we'd have easily one-upped Bethesda. I don't think I've seen anything dynamic in that sense in ANY of Beth's games.

DaveWA
DaveWA's picture
I too think that would be an

I too think that would be an excellent dynamic.

DIYDeath
DIYDeath's picture
If CoT can be a thing then

If CoT can be a thing then that idea can be a thing too, who knows how easy it would be to implement though. There's a lot of engine limitations which could cause issues.

Ravanna
Ravanna's picture
Contributor
Donor
ZeroSbr wrote:

ZeroSbr wrote:

You know, if we could pull this off, we'd have easily one-upped Bethesda. I don't think I've seen anything dynamic in that sense in ANY of Beth's games.

Who's this "WE", matey? Are you going to code it, do the effects, textures and models? awesome, how very kind of you.
aretea
aretea's picture
ZeroSbr wrote:

Deleted

Shushine
Shushine's picture
Contributor
Ravanna wrote:

Ravanna wrote:

ZeroSbr wrote:

Who's this "WE", matey? Are you going to code it, do the effects, textures and models? awesome, how very kind of you.

Okay, I would like to clear some things up about certain terminology we use on the forums. If its not too much to ask i would like people to refrain from using the words like "we" when you are not part of the certain modding group doing the work. I know this may be sematics but tbh imagine you just ran a marathon and you're friend whos been just sitting around eating hot dogs runs up to you and says "we did! we did!". I know it may sound silly but to use "we" belittles the achievement and effort of the individual modder or group of modders who did the work. Rav and others have put a lot of work and effort into this and though the suggestions are nice thats all they are suggestions, they may further the project in their own way but do not really contribute to any real work done by a modder. If I sound like a glory hogging jerk im sorry...Its just once you put hours of work into something for free having people recognize what you've done just helps motivate us a little more. 

Pages