9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Tord
Tord's picture
Alchemy/Spellmaking in Skywind

In Skyrim they completely changed the alchemy process, and took away all spell making, I am wondering how you will solve this "Problem" of sorts, or if you have already made a plan, or already fixed it, I have not seen any discussion on the topic yet, so I would like to bring it up...

Mainly my questions are if you will yourselves be bringing in the whole alchemy/spell creation system from Morrowind, without the "alchemy table" ect. ect.

I really don't know if it is much of a task at all, but I would prefer to stick with the ways it was done in Morrowind, for we are recreating that game...

And err, the only problem I can see with this idea is traveling back to Skyrim, will we be able to have both of the alchemy systems?  I don't know, talk it out, for I am a little concerned. 

Edited by: grumpycat on 03/14/2014 - 22:28
Nebbie
Nebbie's picture
I find it unlikely we'll go

I find it unlikely we'll go back to the days of carrying around the alchemy equipment. It weighed too much for its use and the different levels of equipment made it even more of a hassle. Skyrim's welded-to-the-table solution makes a lot of sense. I wouldn't mind seeing the option of bringing around the individual pieces, but I don't think it's going to be anyone's priority.

As for spell creation, one mod for it isn't finished and isn't yet released. http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1422677-skyrim-spellmaking-...

Here's one that at least has releases: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=101130486

Edit: Here's one that looks more complete: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/33598

Not sure how well we could integrate any of these mods, but I'm sure we can get a spellcrafting system up in Skywind eventually.

Mehh
Mehh's picture
Errr the alchemy system was

Errr the alchemy system was shit in Morrowind anyway, lol.

bluesausage
bluesausage's picture
I personally prefer skyrims

I personally prefer skyrims alchemy system over morrowind or oblivions. The table just makes more sense to me on a realism standpoint. It's hard to do that kind of stuff without a table, especially in the wild. Fire is necessary to use 3/4 of the alchemy tools and so on. And the way you naturally discover the effects of the ingredients just feels better.

As far as the spellmaking, I would love to see it implemented. tho i get the feeling it'll be a little over powered....tho in a way it kinda always was if you had a high enough magic skill/enough magicka. :P

Mooncat
Mooncat's picture
The last one Nebbie

The last one Nebbie suggested, Spell Crafting for Skyrim, looks very promising. It wouldn't hurt to see if Taichikid would be willing to let us integrate his system into Skywind. Unfortunately, due to engine limitations, a true spell crafting system is going to be very difficult. At least, it will be until the SKSE team figures out constructor functions for Papyrus.

As far as Alchemy goes...I'm not touching that topic. It's already been talked in circles over and over again, and I'm still not sure where we landed.

CiaranB123
CiaranB123's picture
Would you not just be able to

Would you not just be able to keep it how it is in Skyrim and let people download these mods separately if they want? That makes more sense to me anyway.

Mehh
Mehh's picture
Anything that affects Skyrim

Anything that affects Skyrim will be optional, except for chargen, but you get a choice for Skyrim or Morrowind, so it doesn't impact the game really anyway compared to, well, this lol.

mxzero11
mxzero11's picture
Alchemy in morriwnd was

Alchemy in morriwnd was broken as hell, as for carrying around stuff to make potions. The last run of skyrim I did I had a mortal and pestal that I would use regularly, for what little alchemy I did.

TheDjango
TheDjango's picture
I hope no one minds me

I hope no one minds me resurrecting this thread but after the amazing models by Skweejal I think it needs discussing again ;)

I think that there is nothing wrong with doing alchemy in the wild, since a lot of alchemy based characters (they do exist) would like the option to make potions and such the moment they have the ingredients to. Plus its fun to collect the pieces and make a nice set of equipment for yourself, than go off to "man the battle-station" of a tethered down set.

I cant remember if it was part of the main game or a mod but mortar/pestles are possible in skyrim and I dont see why skywind needs to transition to the tethered down sets used in skyrim. Its easier for characters who like alchemy, the rest of the equipment is not entirely necessary (though if you are seriously into alchemy and dont just want to make quick potions here and there you can bring along a whole set to enhance the effects, which is a good idea and lets you choose how into alchemy you are) and would be no less broken if balanced right than skyrims system was.