Pages

110 posts / 0 new
Last post
SheepDogWoof
SheepDogWoof's picture
Clannfear - by SheepDogWoof

EPISODE 3 OF MY CREATURE MODELS YOUTUBE SERIES.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-d-G36pN7KI

RECENTLY REDONE COMPLETELY FROM SCRATCH. all screenshots below this one are of the old Clannfear I did, which was my first Zbrush project ever. And though it turned out well, I knew I could do better with more practice. This version looks much closer to the original.

OLD VERSION SCREENSHOTS BELOW

Final, old version

Edited by: grumpycat on 03/15/2014 - 02:08
SheepDogWoof
SheepDogWoof's picture
Close up

Close up

anthelius
anthelius's picture
Looks good ; ) but it looks

Looks good ; ) but it looks too humanoid, I prefer the oblivion style clannfear personaly, with the upper body less large

SheepDogWoof
SheepDogWoof's picture
Its based on the

Its based on the Morrowind Clannfear, I mean Skywind IS a Morrowind remake :p

anthelius
anthelius's picture
I know, but morrowind

I know, but morrowind creatures are a bit outdated and I think the oblivion one looks better and more credible^^. But if everybody aggree with the morrowind style why not, just my opinion...

SheepDogWoof
SheepDogWoof's picture
But thats the point I think,

But thats the point I think, this is more of a redesign than a recreation, I'm adding details and extra parts that wouldn't have been possible to add because of technology constraints when Morrowind was released. But I think it makes a lot more sense to have all of the mobs be obviously derived from Morrowind and not just the Elder Scrolls in general or whichever game we prefer :)

no1
no1's picture
i do like what u are making

i do like what u are making looking nice

but i wanne say clanfaer is more the sprinting tipe of lizardt i think and this guy is more of a hulk so maby a bit less body mass ore a biger head whit longer body parts also   his feet look rong 

some pictures because i like clanfaers

1 that the guy from monster mod made i think proves my piont a bit 

anthelius
anthelius's picture
The clannfear from monster

The clannfear from monster mod has the same problem Imo, it doesn't looks like a reptile but like a human style body with a transplanted clannfear head. I understand if you don't want to make it like oblivion but at least if you can make it a bit less muscular I'd be happy ^^

SheepDogWoof
SheepDogWoof's picture
I agree^ thats currently what

I agree^ thats currently what I'm doing. Slimming him down a bit and lengthening the lower legs so he looks like more a hunter or a sprinter as you said.

SheepDogWoof
SheepDogWoof's picture
How does this look?Compare

How does this look?

Compare it to the others, as you can see I slimmed down the legs and also gave the muscles more definition, the feet are more flat and level with the ground, also added more definition there.

no1
no1's picture
looks a lot beter   i dont

looks a lot beter  

i dont knowe if its easy to adjust but maby a  biger the head and i would say perfect 

also u gone ad 2 horns on his head like te original ore leave it like this?

SheepDogWoof
SheepDogWoof's picture
Yup don't worry won't forget

Yup don't worry won't forget the horns :) also I was thinking about the head size, I'm certain there is a way to select and increase the size of a set area. So I will look into that because its been bugging me a bit as well.

anthelius
anthelius's picture
Very nice ; ) maybe you

Very nice ; ) maybe you should also make the fingers more like claws

SheepDogWoof
SheepDogWoof's picture
Increased head size as much

Increased head size as much as I could without loss of quality, I think its a good improvement though. I'm sure theres a better way to do it than the way that I did. So when I figure it out I'll fix the proportions even more.

Right now the head itself is about 2/3 the size of the head frill, when it should be about the same size.

Working on the claws too Anthelius :) I have hardly touched them so far, they only look like that because of the Zspheres that were used to make the basic shape, gonna polish em down soon.

This is great by the way, having you guys giving feedback while I'm making the thing at the same time. I love modelling I have no idea why I didn't get into it years ago xD

no1
no1's picture
anthelius wrote: Very nice ;

anthelius wrote:

Very nice ; ) maybe you should also make the fingers more like claws

arnt 3 vingers a claw

eloth
eloth's picture
very nice work dude! can

very nice work dude! can hardly tell your a beginner :)

SheepDogWoof
SheepDogWoof's picture
Thanks Eloth. I had never

Thanks Eloth.

I had never tried before, been following Morroblivion/Skywind for years and always felt useless that I didn't know how or have any skills to help out.

Spent a night watching all the Zbrush tutorials and realized I could do it :)

will be practicing every day and hopefully I'll get good enough to take on some more complicated creatures in the future.

eloth
eloth's picture
it looks very much like the

it looks very much like the morrowind clannfear when i look at the morrowind ones:

Not much work left until you got it right :)

SheepDogWoof
SheepDogWoof's picture
Added a few more details to

Added a few more details to the head, sanded down the fingers into claws, slimmed down the tail to match the original better. Added details to the chest and abdomen.

Also decided to try out adding some small teeth, tell me what you think of them. I don't think they're straying too far from the original in my opinion.

eloth
eloth's picture
looking great last thing i

looking great :) what i would do now is make the arms and legs thinner and call it finished:)

no1
no1's picture
i find hime good enough cant

i find hime good enough cant wait to see hime in colour u gone piant hime to?

also stil no horns on his head just saying

eloth
eloth's picture
yeah can you try to add the

yeah can you try to add the horns on the head?

SheepDogWoof
SheepDogWoof's picture
Yup, working on  those right

Yup, working on  those right now. Want to get them right so saved them for last, or atleast close to last. I'll probably do a few detail passes but make sure it isn't too complicated.

Ensgnblack
Ensgnblack's picture
Great work! Though I

Great work! Though I personally liked the mouth  better without teeth.  Keep it up!

Mormegil
Mormegil's picture
no1 wrote: also stil no horns

no1 wrote:

also stil no horns on his head just saying

Still no readable english, my eyes burn because of your posts. >_<

@SheepDogWoof: Looks really amazing! Like eloth says, maybe you could make the arms and legs a bit thinner and add horns. Besides that, very well done.

(I like the teeth btw)

SheepDogWoof
SheepDogWoof's picture
Added the Horns, some plated

Added the Horns, some plated detailing to the ridge of the Head frill, like that of the original. Slimmed down both the legs and arms as Eloth suggested, Added some minor details to the mouth, increased size of the small tusks, added tiny ridge on tip of the beak/nose, shrunk the teeth a bit. 

The claws now have serrated edges, and a little more detail on the knuckles.

I only just realized the second horn is a little small. I may change that if you guys think I should though I kind of like it the way it is. Also, the teeth, optional. I really like the addition of them but tell me what you think and they can go, I'm not attached really.

Ravanna
Ravanna's picture
Contributor
Donor
yet another whipper snapper

yet another whipper snapper takes up zbrush like it was a 3rd limb!
Cant believe u successfully utilised zspheres, i still cant use them.

At this stage of the sculpt, try using clay/claytubes on low setting. When refining bumps on a scaled crature, using hpolish or Trimdynamic brushes.

You'll need to make scales, so u can either zapplink photos of dinosaur skin/morrowind clanfear onto the creature and sculpting into them. U can also try settng brush to Dots>drag direct and selecting scales alpha and then click and drag shapes onto the skin.

Try colouring in zbrush, it'll be good practise.

SheepDogWoof
SheepDogWoof's picture
Thanks a lot Ravanna I was

Thanks a lot Ravanna I was inspired by you to get into Zbrush actually when I saw your Cliffracer a couple of days ago :) Amazing work by the way, as is everything you do xD

Again thanks for the tips. I will try them out now.

SheepDogWoof
SheepDogWoof's picture
Now in the process of adding

Now in the process of adding scales as suggested, really loving the result so far

Anybody who knows more about Zbrush than me have any techniques for eyes? Ravanna? Or anybody else with Zbrush experience who reads this.

eloth
eloth's picture
wow, you are getting this

wow, you are getting this fast :) very nice :)

Wolfid
Wolfid's picture
I worried when i saw that

I worried when i saw that muscular humanoid clannfear, but now I'am amazed. It looks like you worked with zbrush for years, not days. :) You are talented, so be proud of it!

If you have some time can you answer my private message please? Thanks!

Josie
Josie's picture
Okay now I am officially

Okay now I am officially depressed about my lack for zbrush skills... You and Alex should write a tutorial for beginners since you both learnt to use it so fast! The interface is killing me so I'm too slow to work with it without going insane...

But anyhow that is just brilliant work, good job! :)

SheepDogWoof
SheepDogWoof's picture
Work while you watch! Watch

Work while you watch!

Watch the tutorial videos on the website in Zclassroom and have Zbrush open at the same time. alt+tab back and forth, rewind, rewind again, sometimes watch whole videos again, but always be actively working on what he is explaining in the video, while he is explaining it.

http://pixologic.com/zclassroom/homeroom/lesson/zbrush-intro...

no1
no1's picture
Josie wrote: Okay now I am

Josie wrote:

Okay now I am officially depressed about my lack for zbrush skills... You and Alex should write a tutorial for beginners since you both learnt to use it so fast! The interface is killing me so I'm too slow to work with it without going insane...

But anyhow that is just brilliant work, good job! :)

ya i tryt zbrush to sadly no skils o wel

there are enough walk troughs out there but i cant get the hang of it

digitalparanoid
digitalparanoid's picture
My gf ran away screaming when

My gf ran away screaming when she saw your clannfear. I guess it's a good sign :)

SheepDogWoof
SheepDogWoof's picture
So the main reason I'm

So the main reason I'm writing this comment is because I still have no idea how to make monster eyes and all the tutorials I've found are for humans and they don't work very well when I try them :P

But I'll also update you on my progress, might as well.

Just a bunch of detail work

Ravanna
Ravanna's picture
Contributor
Donor
i think the easiest way to do

i think the easiest way to do this is to place actual spheres (as seperate subtools ) to where they need to be.

You would have to append in the subtools menu and select sphere from the list, and use the transpose tools to move the eye to position (w to move, etc) there should be a tutorial somewhere on how to use that stuff.

Once the eye is in position, duplicate it in the subtool menu, then go to "deformations" tab down the right hand menu and click mirror.
Now u have 2 eyes spheres in place. (there are now 2 eyes in subtools menu, click to top one, and merge down to 1).

These can be the eyeballs.
Now you sculpt the actual body subtool to have eye lids, using the eyes as reference. you can then add rings around the eyes and add scales for details.

You could mask the area of the body where the eyes are and press "project all" with high setting on distance (o.1) and it will project the sphere shape onto the body

*falls over with dead arms from typing

SheepDogWoof
SheepDogWoof's picture
Thaaankyou again, I

:D

Thaaankyou again, I understand what you're saying.

Will post a screenshot when its done.

SheepDogWoof
SheepDogWoof's picture
How's this?

How's this?

Ravanna
Ravanna's picture
Contributor
Donor
ha done, but i think the eyes

ha done, but i think the eyes could be a bit bigger. Looks like you're running out of poly resolution there, whats it at 4 million? cant get bigger than 6 i think.

try and wrap those eyelids around the eyes more, make em "tighter"

no1
no1's picture
 nice is a good eye maby a

nice is a good eye maby a bit smal but good

SheepDogWoof
SheepDogWoof's picture
Active points says

Active points says "756,377"

Not sure if that's the same as poly res, or how I could check my poly res.

Also yeah I originally made the eye bigger, but after looking at my reference picture I realized that they really do have quite small eyes

Though it may be a tiny bit too small.

grumpycat
grumpycat's picture
I really like the proportions

I really like the proportions on this creature, its seems like its something that can actually move at speed, despite the massive head plate. Great job.

The monster mod clan-fear, is based off the werewolf skeleton. That is why it has the arms menacingly held back and thick build. Its unfortunate but at this stage to actually get a creature into Skyrim is a really a hard thing to do. Without anybody with experience in putting creatures into the game we are a bit stuck with making these custom creatures work.

I'm not really up on the play on what the solutions are! Hopefully we will be able to get some custom rigs/animations going, but you have to relies that in the mean time it will probably be the werewolf that it will be skinned to, and will cause warping and other strange motions in the creature. But we can't avoid that, just keep doing an amazing job.

Hey I'm just going to change the thread title so that it has the clan-fear name in it. We have a real problem in this project with people knowing what is being worked on, and what has been done. Hope you don't mind?

eloth
eloth's picture
just a little bit bigger eyes

just a little bit bigger eyes now, and thats it :)

SheepDogWoof
SheepDogWoof's picture
Hmmm, Imagining the werewolf

Hmmm, Imagining the werewolf animations in my head, that might not be too bad actually. If we can set it up to actually work at all that is. I'm sure some day we'll have the capabilities or someone to create custom animations to match the Morrowind ones. Doesn't hurt having all the models ready to go in advance though :)

Thanks a lot, I just started modelling Friday night. Was tired of watching this project progress and not being able to help. Didn't even realize I would actually have any potential as a modeller. I'm just happy to contribute :)

SheepDogWoof
SheepDogWoof's picture
I know at first glance the

I know at first glance the eye doesn't seem THAT much bigger,

But from far off you can really tell. Also, I still have the texturing to do, and the bright yellow eyes will really contrast with the dark green skin.

grumpycat
grumpycat's picture
Didn't even realize I would

Didn't even realize I would actually have any potential as a modeller. I'm just happy to contribute

For me one of the best things about this project is getting people onboard just to learn stuff. I think the most fun threads are seeing peoples progression, and it really helps us in knowing if the work is being done...i.e. if decided to leave the project.

anthelius
anthelius's picture
So much better now^^ very

So much better now^^ very good work. If you want to make custom animations you'll probably have to use fnis (don't know if it works for creatures though), but it will maybe make the installation a bit heavy for the users...

Ravanna
Ravanna's picture
Contributor
Donor
if you have a standard speed

if you have a standard speed computer, you can subdivide once more to 756,377 x4 to 3 million, if you need to.

the eyes appear bigger from a dist on clanfear as the eyes are bright and stand out but in fact yeah, they look about the right size now.

The difficult part comes later when u build a low poly around it, UV it, and bake it/texture it. Not to mention what we do with the rigging side. But its better to create creatures now whilst we can rather than delay and sit on our arses.

frankist
frankist's picture
I really appreciate what you

I really appreciate what you guys are doing right now in this project. The clannfear is looking almost perfect. The only thing that doesn't look right to me is its legs. It seems that the way they are right now will make the clannfear fall backwards. But maybe it is just me.

Mehh
Mehh's picture
frankist wrote:  The only

frankist wrote:

The only thing that doesn't look right to me is its legs. It seems that the way they are right now will make the clannfear fall backwards. But maybe it is just me.

Isn't that what its tail is for?

Pages