32 posts / 0 new
Last post
Jack_G
Jack_G's picture
Crafting in Skywind

In Morrowind there was no crafting system, and there was no forges or anvils, so I'm just wondering how exactly is it going to be incorporated into Skywind?

Edited by: grumpycat on 03/14/2014 - 22:50
no1
no1's picture
there are anvils i rember

there are anvils i rember seeing them

and els u would just put them outside the shop aesy

EnvyDeveloper
EnvyDeveloper's picture
There were forges and anvils.

There were forges and anvils. :p

look at Ald-ruhn and see

Jack_G
Jack_G's picture
Ok

Thanks for the fast reply and for answering my question.

Corki
Corki's picture
I suppose we have the anvils

I suppose we have the anvils out of the way. That leaves Crafting Benches, Smelting Stations, Alchemy Stations, Enchanting Tables, and I'm not sure about the cooking situation. Probably just a spit over a fire and such.

zilav
zilav's picture
Contributor
I don't want any crafting is

I don't want any crafting is Skywind. Morrowind was about discovery and finding loot, not creating it.

Alchemy should work off the scripted mortar&pestle in inventory. I believe this can be done, perhaps even write a custom alchemy UI using SkyUI.

no1
no1's picture
enchanting and alchemie could

enchanting and alchemie could be placed in any mage guild i suppose

smelter and anvils some were near shops workbench and stuf could also be put in fichters guild i would say

and cooking i find the usless thing ever and dont mind if we didnt do that 

also leather are we gone do some creatures ho gone drop it

Corki
Corki's picture
Hmm, they would have to drop

Hmm, they would have to drop a hide first. Then that would be tanned into leather. (we forgot tanning rack) Creature that drop hides could be, Guars, Cliff Racers, Netch (Netch Hide becomes Netch Leather) , Nix Hounds, Scamps(skin can be used for leather or alchemy), and Alits? 

Those suggestions are all from Morrowind, feel free to make any changes you guys find suitable.

no1
no1's picture
face palm

face palm ya i mean hide 

also wild live that isnt morrowind creatures  rabbits foxes if any are bordt smal lizardts u knowe somthing to live up the place wil it be adet ?

also everthing that isnt human like could/should drop some soort of crafting stuf but we dont have al the creatures yet so it isnt that important yet

alexanderb
alexanderb's picture
Contributor
well we should make it like,

well we should make it like, once u find the loot in game, u can make it, so u would have to find the piece in order to make it.

foullows
foullows's picture
Contributor
Just throwing this out there:

Just throwing this out there: How about you have to learn certain crafting techniques from certain people throughout Morrowind?  Example: Learn netch hide crafting from x blacksmith, learn chitin armor crafting from y blacksmith, etc.  This could be either an entire class of craftables like chitin, or it could be individual items, like a chitin dagger.  Or somewhere in between, like chitin weapons or chitin armor.

I don't how this would work without messing up the perk tree.  Plus, you'd probably have to throw in a few extra quests to make it interesting.

no1
no1's picture
i like that idea more to

i like that idea more to learn it from blacksmiths like the did in dragonborn dlc ice armor stalhrim but dont need a quest maby just a amount of gold 

so u stil got your basic skils tree u need to lv up before u can craft it and if some charecter whit lv 60+ comes from skyrim the stil got to do something for it

Smerk
Smerk's picture
I think both alexanderbs and

I think both alexanderbs and foullows ideas are really both really good ideas. But why not take it a step further. I think it would be awesome to have people who teach how to make stuff and learn by having the item.

I think to keep the filling that items have rarity and worth (unlike the newer elders scrolls) it would be a good idea to make it so you have to have multiple of the same set of armor and or weapon also the items are destroyed in the process of learning how to make them (sorta like enchanting in skyrim). Also it would probably be a good idea to make the teachers very hard to find in the game, and make the tears they can teach you to the equivalent of how hard they are to find and where they are and stuff like that.

You can use this method with the perk tree as a way of making your character become more efficient in learning how to make armor and weapons and stuff like that making it so you don't have to have so many of the item in your inventory to learn how to make it.

But if this method doesn't appeal to anyone then I am totally fine with either of foullows or alexanderbs ideas. :)

Mormegil
Mormegil's picture
Sounds quite good to me

Sounds quite good to me actually, I don't really like how in Skyrim you are able to replicate ancient Dwemer craftsmanship without ever having seen a piece xD

Jack_G
Jack_G's picture
The idea that you have to

The idea that you have to learn from someone first before you can craft it, but how about learning it through a book or something because that way we don't have to add more lines of dialog or quests.

Shadow
Shadow's picture
Good idea about having to

Good idea about having to find it first, and creating "trainers".  We should have crafting, but it shouldn't be as easy as Skyrim.

Smerk
Smerk's picture
We should probably make it so

We should probably make it so the items aren't as easy to fined as in skyrim as well. :) keep it to the morrowind standard if you know what I mean. Because in skyrim after you find one glass armor there all over the place lol.

Jack_G
Jack_G's picture
I think someone already said

I think someone already said this but it would be cool if we could get the mortar and pestle from Morrowind working for a portable way of brewing potions in Skywind.

bluesausage
bluesausage's picture
I personally have no issue

I personally have no issue with the alchemy tables. It adds a little more realism if you ask me. For one besides the mortar and pestle its very difficult to use any of the other tools by hand alone, especially sense there is fire involved to cook the brew. With the table there is a small lab to use. There are also plenty of places one of these could be placed without much disruption. Like the mages guild halls, telvanni places, and alchemy shops. Not to mention player homes. Same with the enchanting tables.

As far as the proposed ideas for smithing, while i love the idea of making them a bit deeper. I think we may be trying to take it too far. The game needs deepened but without making it ineccesable. The ideas could be toned down a bit while staying realistic. For instance if you know how to make one sword youll have a good idea on how to make pretty much know the basic blueprint for all other swords. All you would need after that would be to learn how to work the different materials. And in the case of dwemer craftsmanship and other such unique styles you would only need to learn about dwemer crafting in general.

Also trainers shouldn't need to train you in how to make every individual item. For example if a person were to learn how to work/sew netch leather together in one armor then you cuold figure out the other types. Hence the trainers should only have to teach you how to work netch leather and then you can make all the basic things.

zilav
zilav's picture
Contributor
Mentioning Morrowind and

Mentioning Morrowind and "realistic" together makes me laugh for some reason, even more after Skyrim...

eloth
eloth's picture
yeah, this is believe it or

yeah, this is believe it or not, a fantasy game ! :P

TheMaskedFelon
TheMaskedFelon's picture
Let's say that the player

Let's say that the player would be able to create base armors of no particular style without any "help" or training. Those would be armors like steel, iron, leather and maybe chitin, etc. 

But armors that are of a special craft the player would need a special trainer for. These armors would be Dwemer, Nordic, Orcish, Glass, etc.

As for alchemy, in overall realism I think Skyrim had it right. But if we want to stay true to the game (which we might as well in this case) we should probably use the mortar and pestle idea. Plus I'm pretty sure plenty of people have already made mortar and pestle mods for Skyrim, along with nice animations.

TheMaskedFelon
TheMaskedFelon's picture
Here, I'll link a mortar and

Here, I'll link a mortar and pestle mod:

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/27153

Also, I found this whetstone mod if anyone is interested:

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/13800

bluesausage
bluesausage's picture
Realism helps immersion.

zilav wrote:

Mentioning Morrowind and "realistic" together makes me laugh for some reason, even more after Skyrim...

Realism helps immersion.

Corki
Corki's picture
Will items have a breaking

Will items have a breaking point, and if so would Repairing have its own skill tree or would it fit in with Smithing? Would we keep the prongs and repair hammers or repair at working benches and anvils?

Shadow
Shadow's picture
Corki:  As far as I know, all

Corki:  As far as I know, all of those things would be impossible to implement. :)

Corki
Corki's picture
:/ I suppose you're right,

:/ I suppose you're right, it's not a big deal anyway. Was just some thoughts.

BegottenMeridian
BegottenMeridian's picture
I love those ideas. Find

I love those ideas. Find stuff first (bringing back the Morrowind element of gameplay). Find a craftsman with expertise in a very particular craft (e.g. he/she knows how to make glass armour, but not other types of armour). Bring the found item. Learn how to craft that particular item (e.g. glass dagger) from the craftsman, using up the item as a resource of study. Find the rest of the items to complete the weapon/armour set of a particular material to be learned (keeping the Morrowind feel of finding each single item piece first). And so on...

bluesausage
bluesausage's picture
Why this will bring back the

While this will bring back the exploration and collection feel of morrowind back, I would like to caution that having to find the items before you can learn them may make crafting pointless. I'm not saying it's a horrible idea as i've stated before, I actually like it. However If you already found and have the item, why learn to craft more of the item you already have and therefor no longer need?

hope this got my point across better than my previous post. ^^;

BegottenMeridian
BegottenMeridian's picture
Good point. Though you could

Good point. Though you could make a trade out of it, sell armour for money. You could give it to followers. You might want to learn it to have the option to make an item again if you loose it or sell it. Generally I'd say people would just like to have the option more than anything else. It would give a sense of sandbox open-worldness. Also because we're "updating" Morrowind to Skywind, people still want a bit of Skyrim, if you follow me.

Mormegil
Mormegil's picture
I completely agree with

I completely agree with BegottenMeridian. The idea of smithing gear for followers raises a new question however:

Which NPCs should be followers? :p

hangman04
hangman04's picture
hmmm

Well some of the Morrowind armors appear in Dragonborn and already have recipes which would make them easy to adapt. A bit of tweaking would be made since morrowind armors will use 2 extra parts (or 3?).

The problem i see in your suggestion is that you are proposing redoing the Blacksmith Perk all together or disable it. The problem is that these global changes can't be done in a region while not affecting Skyrim gameplay. As someone said, let Skywind be a sandbox, well that is not possible.

The modders and devs already told you that Skywind will be a recreation of Morrowind using Skyrim engine and gameplay.

My suggestion is:

Alchemy: let it be like Skyrim. Eventually add new elements which are particular to the Morrowind flora and are not found in Skyrim. Just place some alchemy tables here and there, where they could logically be.

Cooking: let it be like Skyrim. Offcourse new animals can offer new meat (maybe 1-2 vegetables that are particular to Morrowind ? don't recall) 1-2 new recipes won't affect anyone. Cauldrons and fires can be easily places in homes or Ins in Morrowind.

Blacksmith: a workaround here is to not deploy anvils through the game and also not to put new armors in crafting lists. So people won't be able to craft the items that Morrowind adds. But there should be the possibility to perfect the items (at grindstone etc) or to make materials for upgrading them. So all the environment items in the game except anvils should be added in logical places. If you don't do this people will just use armors from Skyrim, crafted and upgraded there.

Enchanting: Should be left like it is in Skyrim. There are some mods that tried to convert enchanting from skyrim to morrowind but they weren't popular at all. The only problem here is that Skywind armors have extra prices. From what i know in the CK you can set a peice of armor / weapon if it can receive an enchantment. So let bordy armor be like in skyrim with full enchantment etc while making the new prices pauldroms (2?), left hand unenchantable. Otherwise it will just screw things over.