Pages

159 posts / 0 new
Last post
Ravanna
Ravanna's picture
Contributor
Donor
[WIP/RELz] Dagoth's Ash Antagonists

Tried to be efficient in creating as many characters from one base mesh.
I warped a zbrush body to the shape and scale of a dunmer provided by eloth and happychap.

I intend to bake some of the colour from the skyrim body to the high poly

Seeing as how its red mountain, lets assume all the creatures of dagoth ur are derived from only Dunmer.

From this base sculpt we can create at least 4-5 creatures:

Ash Ghoul: Add sculpt detail, collapse face, add snout, add clothing.
Ash Slave: Add sculpt detail, add cloth.
Ash Zombie: Add sculpt detail, collapse face.
Ash Vampire: Add sculpt detail, add armour/claws.
Ascended Sleeper: Use arms, make thinner, clothing.

Corprus Stalkers: modify heads, add corprus detail.

Here's the thing.
What the hell does Dagoth Ur do to make Ash creatures?
Does he use the power of lorkhans heart to harden the bodies of the dunmer and enslave their minds? perhaps some hardened ash on the bodies that act like armour?

I get confused between that and Corprus/Blight.
Get talking, I wanna get to grips with the details/concepts.
I'm up for expanding on original morrowind designs and having more than naked dunmer with no faces.

Edited by: grumpycat on 03/15/2014 - 01:45
grumpycat
grumpycat's picture
Its not entirely obvious how

Its not entirely obvious how Dagoth Ur creates his Ash Creatures, but I had a few fans sites suggest its through the corpus disease, but that just speculation.

I would like to see the Ash Zombies as....well zombies! Maybe a whole through the body, a missing partial limb, an organ hanging out :) I guess this is what Corpus Stalker are, in fact apparently the Ash Zombies are not even undead.

grumpycat
grumpycat's picture
Maybe a scary look for the

Maybe a scary look for the Ash Vampires is to have the skin look like its on the bone with almost no fat/muscle underneath. Hollowed face and body.

digitalparanoid
digitalparanoid's picture
Isn't there some details

Isn't there some details about them and their relationship to Dagoth Ur in their dialogue lines ?

no1
no1's picture
Corpus isnt that just u get

Corpus isnt that just u get stronger and immortal but grow painful growths and blisters and stuf what probely drives most crazy but not al like the last dwemmer

and ash craetures are dagoth urs playthings 1 time the where dunmer nowe mindles crazy guys whit wounds of exsperiments

also monster mod guy made this guy dont knowe if hey relaest it already ore it wil be in v13 but that is a ascendant sleeper in my book hey makes a lot of thing and i vind it intresting to see what hey make's next http://skyrimforums.org/threads/skymomod-v-12.18654/page-2    

and good luck whit the ash mobs 

Mormegil
Mormegil's picture
Uesp says: "Ash creatures are

Uesp says: "Ash creatures are horrific monsters spawned by Dagoth Ur through connection with the disease known as Corprus."

On another page it says: "Ash Vampire - A very powerful creature created by the connection forged by Dagoth Ur to the power of Heart of Lorkhan."

I guess the different types of Ash creatures are all different phases of the Corprus disease. The corprus/lame stalkers (the ones who just contracted it) suffer both physically and mentally, the ash vampires don't seem to suffer at all and are quite intelligent too.

Ravanna
Ravanna's picture
Contributor
Donor
I dont mean to drop a nerd

I dont mean to drop a nerd bomb but that ascended sleeper appears to have LotR Quenya/Sindarin elvish tiling over his body, as opposed to daedric/altmer.
Amateur hour!

Mormegil
Mormegil's picture
Ravanna wrote: I dont mean to

Ravanna wrote:

I dont mean to drop a nerd bomb but that ascended sleeper appears to have LotR Quenya/Sindarin elvish tiling over his body, as opposed to daedric/altmer.
Amateur hour!

Indeed, those are Tengwar symbols

eloth
eloth's picture
are you going to add the

are you going to add the characteristic heads from morrowind?

Ash Zombie:

Ash Ghoul:

Ash Slave:

Ash Vampire:

Ash vampires are really deformed dwarven people?

Sammael
Sammael's picture
Here's all the info I could

Here's all the info I could find on corprus/blight diseases, I hope it helps:

All blight diseases are created by Dagoth Ur (as is the Blight itself). They effect the victim's body and mind, causing abnormal growths (I imagine somewhat like a cancerous tumor) or wasting of the flesh in addition to violent mood swings and dementia. 

Corprus is a special type of blight disease, sometimes called the Divine Disease, that alters the victim's body through uncontrolled growths that toughen the skin, and also destroys the victim's mind. It can be spread through physical contact with an infected individual, or by a specific curse. How Corprus is related to more powerful ash creatures is unknown.

Divayth Fyr believes that Corprus isn't truly a disease, but some form of divine "blessing" granted by Dagoth Ur that is too powerful for mortal flesh to handle, using the fact that victims are completely immune to normal diseases and become immortal as evidence. 

Ravanna
Ravanna's picture
Contributor
Donor
Clothing wise I'm not

Clothing wise I'm not changing anything.
But the heads really needed developing.

On the morrowind creature page, it seemed that whatever The ash creatures possessed, curse or illness, varied in strength.
Eloth and I had some debate over this, but hopefully we can all come to an agreement over this. Apparently the Imperial Library isnt lore-accurate, just expanded non-ES-author writings.

I like the idea that Dagoth offers blessing/curse that the majority of mortal beings cannot endure. Only a handful of Ancient 1st era Dunmer survived the ordeal without the negative traits.

Ash for the blight vs ash followers, both possess the same curse, but corprus beasts were cast out and not modified further with magic.
Level of magic strength:

Ash Ghoul > Ash Zombie > Ash Slave
It really appears that the magical device to increase the strength of these creatures, leave terrible burns.
ANyway, discuss.

digitalparanoid
digitalparanoid's picture
Creepy !

Creepy !

stijmunkey
stijmunkey's picture
Contributor
Donor
digitalparanoid wrote:Creepy
digitalparanoid wrote:

Creepy !

creepy but awesome lol
no1
no1's picture
thats a good ash zombie

thats a good ash zombie loving it

wil there be diferent types of ash zombies like 1 missing a arm other got both arms ore 1 skinny leg 

wish there was a dumb ass guide for making skyrim creatures because i would love to make this to and i Google it cant find any walkthrough to doing this

what are u using to make these pieces of art

Shadow
Shadow's picture
These are excellent!  We're

These are excellent!  We're very glad to have you here. :)  I am honestly stunned as to how excellent these models and concept art are.

grumpycat
grumpycat's picture
We all agreed on the chat the

We all agreed on the chat the concept for the various stages is brilliant, and yes very creepy.

I like the idea of having two varieties of ash zombies to show off the decay and growing power of Dagoth Ur spawn.

A couple of things that could be played around with is having a heart stone giving off less light, so we still get a sense of dark foreboding sunken skull for the second ash zombie. Also how awesome would it be to have the actual steam effect coming from them!

Nautilus
Nautilus's picture
These are looking great.  I

These are looking great.  I love all things House Dagoth, can't wait to see more.

Ravanna
Ravanna's picture
Contributor
Donor
Ok Ash Slave. Very simple

Ok Ash Slave.

Very simple this one. I have accentuated the anatomy and shrink rapped dry skin to it. Not added new colour texture yet.
It'll have simple Ash encrusted in areas, nothing too solid, and black burn marks around eyes and mouth.

lemme know if u see any issues with this

Shadow
Shadow's picture
The mesh looks good, perhaps

The mesh looks good, perhaps a little too human like, but I think a good texture to the style of your concept art could fix that right up.

grumpycat
grumpycat's picture
We will need to decide what

The Ash Creatures have some animations like going on there knees to pray, the ash ghouls seem to play their snouts for music, and I'm sure a bunch of other custom stuff. So we need a bit of forward planning as far as once Ravanna is happy with a model that we separate it up into individual body parts so that it can be made into a NPC.

jk
jk's picture
Contributor
As it is, it looks too much

As it is, it looks too much like a perfectly healthy Dark Elf to me, but I will wait for your take on texturing it.

Sjors Boomschors
Sjors Boomschors's picture
Contributor
Models looking very nice,

Models looking very nice, keep up the work.

Ravanna
Ravanna's picture
Contributor
Donor
ok ignoring the colour, this

ok ignoring the colour, this is warped skin, different anatomy and ash sculpt +broken teeth.

EnvyDeveloper
EnvyDeveloper's picture
Nice!

Nice! :)

Mormegil
Mormegil's picture
Looks great, although the

Looks great, although the skin on the skull seems a liiiitle bit too symmetrically deformed imo. 

Nautilus
Nautilus's picture
It's looking very creepy with

It's looking very creepy with its hollow eye sockets and diseased skin.  Can't wait to see what else you come up with.  Will you be adding the slave collar and wrist shackles to this?           

Iniquity
Iniquity's picture
Ash Ghoul > Ash Zombie > Ash

Ash Ghoul > Ash Zombie > Ash Slave.

I fully agree with this idea) Model are looking very very nice)

Ravanna
Ravanna's picture
Contributor
Donor
apologies for losing the

apologies for losing the plot, but its a late night and wanted to create some more eye candy from this.

Slave collar and sleeves are coppery/gold, final textures would be dirtier/more ash. This will be done in mudbox and photoshop.

Perhaps a crappy illustration of dev on the slave but something to put online?

no1
no1's picture
O_O nice that is eye candy

O_O nice that is eye candy

RammS
RammS's picture
OUTSTANDING!!!!!!

OUTSTANDING!!!!!!

Ice
Ice's picture
Hah, and I considered your

Hah, and I considered your WIP stuff as eye candy. That's phenominal! lol

stijmunkey
stijmunkey's picture
Contributor
Donor
Ice wrote:Hah, and I
Ice wrote:

Hah, and I considered your WIP stuff as eye candy. That's phenominal! lol

lol me too, "perhaps a crappy illustration of the dev" when i saw that i was astounded the WIP stuff is already far above my expectations for a finished product
Nautilus
Nautilus's picture
That is spectacular.  Looks

That is spectacular.  Looks like a finished model, it is that good.   

trexalfa
trexalfa's picture
Lore on Ash Creatures

Well, since some people were talking about lore on the Ash Creatures, I will add all that I know. Ash Creatures are created, in fact, through Corprus disease.

The disease itself is nothing but a VERY little fraction of the power of the Heart of Lorkhan. Most subjects loose control over this power, which damages their bodies and minds. These people become Corprus Stalkers and Lame Corprus, who are under Dagoth Ur control. 

People who can gain control of the power become the other Ash Creatures: Ash Slaves, Ash Zombies, Ash Ghouls and Ascended Sleepers (from lower to greater rank). You would have noticed that I didn't include Ash Vampires (superior to Ascended Sleepers), that's because they are almost completely different from the others. They weren't infected with Corprus disease, they are in fact connected to the Heart in almost the same way Dagoth Ur is. They draw power directly from the Heart and can resurrect at will in the same way the Tribunal and Ur can. Because of that, they are the most powerful warriors in Ur's arsenal. They also aren't random victims, they were Dagoth Ur lieutenants before he was killed (He bound them to the Heart after returning to Nirn).

Sleepers and Dreamers are Dunmer brainwashed by Dagoth Ur using their dreams. They became infected with Corprus and then Ash Creatures after it.

Also, The Imperial Library is the best site to search for Elder Scrolls lore, and should be trusted over all. UESP comes next, but shouldn't completely trusted for lore over The Imperial Library. It is the best site for gameplay things, though. Elder Scrolls Wikia shouldn't be trusted, as it contains many misinterpretations and is highly innacurate.

Hope this helps!!!

TWarrior
TWarrior's picture
lore

thank you on this insight in the lore!

when i played morrowind i was nothing but a little boy at the age of 12 years and didn't understand shit. i wasnt even good at morrowind and just ran around and did the basic warrior guild quests.

i know morrowind has to offer so much more and can't wait for skywind to be finished. this will be my first time really playing morrowind and achieving something more than just reaching balmora :D

again thank you for the lore. it is very interesting how much you miss in skyrim and other elder scrolls games by not reading books or talking to people!

thank you :)

trexalfa
trexalfa's picture
TWarrior wrote: thank you on

TWarrior wrote:

thank you on this insight in the lore!

when i played morrowind i was nothing but a little boy at the age of 12 years and didn't understand shit. i wasnt even good at morrowind and just ran around and did the basic warrior guild quests.

i know morrowind has to offer so much more and can't wait for skywind to be finished. this will be my first time really playing morrowind and achieving something more than just reaching balmora :D

again thank you for the lore. it is very interesting how much you miss in skyrim and other elder scrolls games by not reading books or talking to people!

thank you :)

Glad this helped you man. TES lore is one of the best things about the series, and it gets really mind breaking and deep when you begin to research it. Many people think this series has generic and mediocre lore. But then I say "NO". :)

Volkoluck
Volkoluck's picture
Claws

Ravanna

First of all your models are just amazing. As I see, according to your plan you are going to make claws only for Ash Vampire, but why not to make them for Ash Slave and for other Dagoth's guys also. IMHO it will be even more lore and more scary. Something like that

Have you already finished to draw your concept arts for other ash creatures? May be you can somehow use this picture made by  Victoriadaedra (http://victoriadaedra.deviantart.com/gallery/)

Ravanna
Ravanna's picture
Contributor
Donor
I'll email Victoria just to

I'll email Victoria just to ask for permission to use some of her ideas as inspiration.

Here's the low poly Ash Slave.
Currently: 10k tris. Need an idea of limits and where I can remove more detail.
1x2048 texture (Body: Diffuse, spec, normal)
3x1024 texture (Head, Clothes, Ashalpha)

​Yet to be rescaled or positioned to any decided rig.

eloth
eloth's picture
wow amazing

wow :) amazing :)

no1
no1's picture
u want a idea where to remove

u want a idea where to remove detials ? i would say the legs the the look more infected than the rest but thats a place no 1 realy watches closely at when encountering this guy    so a few bumps and scrachtes would be enough the rest of the body looks way to good to alter

also the slave colar and bracelets would be nicer if it was clean because the smooth survise of gold doesnt get dirt on it so fast  

hope this helps u

jk
jk's picture
Contributor
It is looking really

It is looking really sweet!

I'd say leave it as detailed as it is, since the biggest bottleneck for modern graphics cards is memory usage anyway, but if you absolutely have to remove detail, I'd say that you should trim some vertices from the head, if it can be done in a way that does not kill the UV maps.

Shadow
Shadow's picture
Remember, this is a PC mod,

Remember, this is a PC mod, so we can afford a few more polys than vanilla Skyrim. :)  That looks brilliant.

alexanderb
alexanderb's picture
Contributor
Well i had a crazy idea, like

Well i had a crazy idea, like u guys said earlier, they go from ash slave to ash zombie to ash ghoul with the tentacle, but like if u kept going with the idea wouldnt they tunr into ascendant sleepers, look ascendent sleepers have tentacle too, so like would they eventually turn into that, like thier tentables grown and more come?

alexanderb
alexanderb's picture
Contributor
ALSO LOOK DARK ELF HANDS!

ALSO LOOK DARK ELF HANDS!

Shadow
Shadow's picture
That's actually a really good

That's actually a really good observation I think.  Maybe we could work with that if it didn't alter the ascended sleeper too much.  Or we could just retexture that one creature from Dragonborn perhaps?

grumpycat
grumpycat's picture
10k tris is a good limit for

10k tris is a good limit for these creatures. For example some of the Draugr are 12k tris, so we are within acceptable limits :) Looks fantastic btw.

Inwah1408
Inwah1408's picture
Really good. I have nothing

Really good. I have nothing to say but thank you!

Volkoluck
Volkoluck's picture
Transformation

alexanderb

This is not crazy idea. You are must be absolutely right and this is what the original developers wanted to show. Show step-by-step transformation of "blessed" to their final result - to be an ascendant sleepers.

Ravanna

Ones again, you are doing fantastic job. I am sure Victoria will be happy to give you permission. 

grumpycat
grumpycat's picture
People who can gain control

People who can gain control of the power become the other Ash Creatures: Ash Slaves, Ash Zombies, Ash Ghouls and Ascended Sleepers (from lower to greater rank). You would have noticed that I didn't include Ash Vampires (superior to Ascended Sleepers), that's because they are almost completely different from the others.

Here are some other little bit and pieces I found on Ascended Sleepers:

Corprus disease turns most people into mindless zombies and Sixth House descendants into "Sleepers", which evolve through several stages to eventually become Ascended Sleepers. Neither path is pretty.

Many Dagoths appear identical to Ascended Sleepers.

The Ascended Sleepers are distorted, half-human, half-beast creatures transformed by a mysterious force into powerful magical beings. Ascended Sleepers are highly intelligent, aggressive, and dangerous. Ascended Sleepers are associated in some way with the Devil Dagoth Ur.

Corprus, also known as the Divine Disease, is the most terrible of the ailments associated with the Blight. The infection was created by Dagoth Ur and is spread by contact with a corprus beast or by specific curse. It destroys the mind of the sufferer and grotesquely deforms the body. It is not known how the transformation of Sixth House cultists into Ascended Sleepers and other monsters is related to Corprus. Some of the physical effects are similar, but the cultists remain lucid and attain a higher spiritual state whereas more mundane sufferers become mindless husks, like the common undead raised by necromancers.

alexanderb
alexanderb's picture
Contributor
yeah! lets all cheer for

yeah! lets all cheer for Ravanna

Shadow
Shadow's picture
Is that a falmer skeleton?

Is that a falmer skeleton?  I'm wondering if it would look better on a draugr.  Either way, awesome work. :)

Pages