Pages

186 posts / 0 new
Last post
overki11
overki11's picture
Hi. I would like to help with

Hi. I would like to help with making this mod, but I am a little young. I have a small experience with modding, with fallout new vegas. I could help with the voice acting for the child NPCs. I can do a small bit of landscape design, but I don't think it will be good enough for the mod. I can create misc items in the Creation Kit, but I can't model or texture. I have tried to learn, but it is a bit too advanced for my age. I'd like to help any way I can, so tell me if there is a way to help, and if so, where to get started.

grumpycat
grumpycat's picture
Hi overki11, well all of us

Hi overki11, well all of us are learning as we go, so if you just stick with it you'll get there in the end. By the time TES6 comes out you'll be an experienced modder :)

As far as helping out, it might be more of a case of trial and error, we can quality check any work you do, so long as you are receptive to constructive criticism, which seems to be the case from your post.

Usually we get people started on navigation meshing. Maybe you could do a single interior and get one of the team members to check it and give feedback.

http://morroblivion.com/forums/skyrim/skywind-development/3333

Mehh
Mehh's picture
Or if you wanna start off

Or if you wanna start off with a reaaaaaaaly easy task, you can make some merchants! http://morroblivion.com/forums/skyrim/skywind-development/4900

HayHol
HayHol's picture
I've been checking on this

I've been checking on this mod's progress and not helping for far too long, time to pitch in and help you wonderful gents out. Any particular tasks listed above that need more manpower?

I have a decent amount of experience with the CK and was thinking of doing some NavMeshing or AI packages.

grumpycat
grumpycat's picture
Hey-Hay-Hol (lol, the chorus

Hey-Hay-Hol (lol, the chorus to many a cheesy song)

Anyway...we really need people who can help with quests or AI packages. If you can PM our resident guru on such things DigitalParanoid

Talk with him and should be able to figure out what you can help with :)

digitalparanoid
digitalparanoid's picture
"Guru" made me laugh. I'm

"Guru" made me laugh. I'm learning as I go. And I try to look clever :P

tommythegun
tommythegun's picture
Contributor
Hi again, I managed to launch

Hi again,

I managed to launch Skywind finally, and I'm willing to help, or at least give it a try :)

Unfortunately my 3d/2d graphics skills are really basic so I think I won't be able to help in this area.

Not a good voice actor either - I don't have a decent mic and my polish accent will make your ears bleed.

So I was thinking about level design or helping out with quests - that sort of things. Last time i messed with CK was when Morrowind was actually pretty new game, so I'm guessing I'm gonna be a bit rusty, but I'll try to catch up asap. I think that I'll need to grab some tutorials first to know what's what (I'm pretty sure that CK itself has changed A LOT since Morrowind one ;) not to mention how much I forgot since then )

So here's my question - do you have any sites / particular tutorials to recommend? Only thing that comes to my mind is creationkit.com and maybe tutorials from nexus forum. - But is there anything else you would recommend as experienced modders? Or will this be enough for start? Any hints for the start would be much appreciated

Sorry if the thread is wrong (I don't like creating new ones without a good reason so I've tried to find something appropriate). Also sorry if my English ain't good enough - trying my best :)

Cheers!

Mehh
Mehh's picture
There are lots of jobs

There are lots of jobs available, and they can be learned via Youtube tutorials. You can sign up for landscaping, cluttering towns, navmesh, fixing up the lighting in building, adding ai to npcs.

grumpycat
grumpycat's picture
Hey tommythegun, landscaping

Hey tommythegun, landscaping should be much the same from Morrowind if you did any of that. Good thing is you can learn on the job as such. Pick a small area and start landscaping the best to your ability. We can quality check it and make suggestions as you go :)

Let me know if youre interested and I'll PM you more details and tutorials and getting you set up.

CrematedSpatula
CrematedSpatula's picture
Greetings to all you

Greetings to all you hardworking modders. 

I think I can help mostly with artistic input and aesthetics, I definitely have the time to spare right now, and its a good way to learn new things. I can take on artworks maybe concept art in Photoshop and Illustrator, I think I can learn some more 3d sculpting, although all I've made so far is a Katana in 3ds max and played around in 3d coat vortex sculpting. With scripts and AI, I have only used oblivion's / morrowinds Modding kits on basic things, so I am reluctant in that area. 

Carnage11
Carnage11's picture
Hey all, I am primarily a

Hey all,

I am primarily a developer with experience in a number of languages.  I have been following this project for a while now and am wondering what I can do to help.  I am happy to work on any of the AI work that needs to be done.  My 3d design ability is nonexistent but I will be happy to do any coding or other work I can help with.

grumpycat
grumpycat's picture
Hey Carnage11, start getting

Hey Carnage11, start getting stuck into learning NPC AI through the Creation Kit, and check in with DigitalParanoid for work.

sevenseacat
sevenseacat's picture
I used to be quite familiar

I used to be quite familiar with Morrowind modding a number of years ago, then dropped off the scene - I was relatively decent with the MW construction kit, and I liked working with dialogue, quests, etc. I've installed the Skyrim creation kit but not tried tinkering with it yet - I'll see if there's anything I can contribute :)

j.ahn
j.ahn's picture
Just a quick question - are

Just a quick question - are you planning to use any Skyrim music material at all? (For eg., Far Horizons, Secunda and so on)

If then, should original Skyrim music has to be from our own version of recording, not the same file from Vanilla Skyrim?

NoHiT
NoHiT's picture
Hello there. I tried to do a

Hello there.

I tried to do a little thing with the lighting in caves, so I worked on Habinbaes. I think my modding isn't very good, but feel free to check/use that file.

I really like to help, but I think I can only do some easy tasks for you. let me know if you have something for me

Cheers, NoHiT

AttachmentSize
Plain text icon Skywind%20-%20Cavelighting.esp7.08 KB
grumpycat
grumpycat's picture
I think I've got just the

I think I've got just the task for you NoHiT. It will involve doing a cave at a time and looking through where water sources are and doing replacements of objects in these areas. Very simply task, but time consuming.

Check out this post for the idea of having caustic reflection in caves for where there is water.

http://morroblivion.com/forums/skyrim/skywind-development/38...

LASentry
LASentry's picture
Donor
For potions, wouldn't

For potions, wouldn't retextures of vanilla Skyrim potion bottles be better? Because the textures look really stretched.

Twisted Logic
Twisted Logic's picture
j.ahn wrote: Just a quick

j.ahn wrote:

Just a quick question - are you planning to use any Skyrim music material at all? (For eg., Far Horizons, Secunda and so on)

Well, a sizable portion of Skyrim's soundtrack was taken pretty much directly from Morrowind. Plus, it was all directed by the same person, so most of it would fit right in. Of course, Sons of Skyrim wouldn't exactly work, but that's a special case.

rgabriel15
rgabriel15's picture
Hi guys   Im the author of

Hi guys

Im the author of the mod Skyrim Project Optimization reported by ZeroSbr on this topic: Skywind Performance.

Ive been folowing this mod for some time and im here now to lend a hand on exteriors and interiors optimizations if you need.

Do you need some help?

Peace.

grumpycat
grumpycat's picture
Hi rgabriel15, hopefully

Hi rgabriel15, hopefully somebody has already spoken to you in the chat. Of course we'd love some help :)

I guess the hurdles that we have is that we are still very much in a state editing the world, especially the exteriors and interior caves.

Most of the other interiors will not change, except for extra clutter. So I don't know if that is going to mean much to optimization, but I would think as far as room bounds and occlusion planes that it wouldn't.

For extriors we are going to need some clever use of occulison planes, espeically in and around the cities. For example we cluttered the exterior of Suran and it had quite a few performance issues. But with such open city level design its really hard to know how/where to get the best use of occulision planes, as none of the team has any real experience with them. We tried doing some in Suran with mixed results, so hopefully you'll be able to come up with a good plan of action :)

grumpycat
grumpycat's picture
Hi rgabriel15, hopefully

Hi rgabriel15, hopefully somebody has already spoken to you in the chat. Of course we'd love some help :)

I guess the hurdles that we have is that we are still very much in a state editing the world, especially the exteriors and interior caves.

Most of the other interiors will not change, except for extra clutter. So I don't know if that is going to mean much to optimization, but I would think as far as room bounds and occlusion planes that it wouldn't.

So I think that you can do any of the interiors, expect caves and mines. Probably leave Vivec city untill last as well, as there is a potential plan to make this open rather than the closed top.

For exteriors we are going to need some clever use of occulison planes, espeically in and around the cities. For example we cluttered the exterior of Suran and it had quite a few performance issues. But with such open city level design its really hard to know how/where to get the best use of occulision planes, as none of the team has any real experience with them. We tried doing some in Suran with mixed results, so hopefully you'll be able to come up with a good plan of action :)

rgabriel15
rgabriel15's picture
Well, if you're planing to

Well, if you're planing to modify caves and mines layout then its better to not optimize them for now. Ill wait.

Btw, what interiors i can optimize? Just cities and villages interiors or something else?

Cheers.

grumpycat
grumpycat's picture
Well actually even the caves

Well actually even the caves and mines can be done, because its only the tilesets that are being changed, with maybe a few extra rocks to the surfaces. Sorry I had a brain meltdown before. So you can work on anything you want. As I said above maybe just leave Vivec till last as this may change.

We have developer releases, so if you give us a link to sections of completed interiors then we can add them to the master and this helps with general progress.

Really excited to have you working on the game, Morrowind has many aspects that can be optimized, so having somebody with your experience is going to be a real bonus. Welcome to the Skywind team!

grumpycat
grumpycat's picture
Gopher is posting an

Gopher is posting an introduction to modding series, which I haven't watched, but he is usually awesome. So for anybody wanting to help, but a bit unsure of how to start this could be a good starting video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=RxQ1J...

LASentry
LASentry's picture
Donor
I spoke to Gopher and he said

I spoke to Gopher and he said he'd love to do a playthrough of Skywind and Skyblivion.

corwin78
corwin78's picture
My modding skills, such as

My modding skills, such as they are, begin and end with knowing my way around the Morrowind CK. Not much use, I suspect...

BUT if this project could use some text editing/proofreading/English literacy & usage skills, I volunteer my services. God knows Bethesda could have used someone who knows the difference between 'your' and 'you're', 'to' and 'too,' and someone who can see that e.g. Jarl Laila's "...surprise them without warning" and "I hope the road fared well for you, traveler" are bad English or illogical, or both. Not to mention Gallus's howler: "Karliah? I thought she had befallen the same fate." I mean, really, being dead is no excuse...

Anyway, I'd like to contribute what I can toward rejuvenating my all-time favorite RPG. While I'm @ it, I'd like to thank everyone who's already contributed so much. I get weepy just thinking about it. 

Mehh
Mehh's picture
corwin78 wrote: My modding

corwin78 wrote:

My modding skills, such as they are, begin and end with knowing my way around the Morrowind CK. Not much use, I suspect...

BUT if this project could use some text editing/proofreading/English literacy & usage skills, I volunteer my services. God knows Bethesda could have used someone who knows the difference between 'your' and 'you're', 'to' and 'too,' and someone who can see that e.g. Jarl Laila's "...surprise them without warning" and "I hope the road fared well for you, traveler" are bad English or illogical, or both. Not to mention Gallus's howler: "Karliah? I thought she had befallen the same fate." I mean, really, being dead is no excuse...

Anyway, I'd like to contribute what I can toward rejuvenating my all-time favorite RPG. While I'm @ it, I'd like to thank everyone who's already contributed so much. I get weepy just thinking about it. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13FV1GaA20I
grumpycat
grumpycat's picture
Hey corwin78, your probably

Hey corwin78, your probably not needed for to many spelling corrections and grammer, as we are good...ho ho ho...well I am the worst speller in the entire team I think, but the one that bugs me is alot or allot.

Anyway if you are familiar with Morrowind CK, chances are you can really help out. Turns out a lot (yes, ftw) is basically the same. Maybe you can help with quests? Check out the quest threads or one of the team can head you in the right direction after we find out a bit more of what you might be interested in doing.

tommythegun
tommythegun's picture
Contributor
happychappy wrote: Hey

happychappy wrote:

Hey corwin78, your probably not needed for to many spelling corrections and grammer, as we are good...ho ho ho...well I am the worst speller in the entire team I think, but the one that bugs me is alot or allot.

Anyway if you are familiar with Morrowind CK, chances are you can really help out. Turns out a lot (yes, ftw) is basically the same. Maybe you can help with quests? Check out the quest threads or one of the team can head you in the right direction after we find out a bit more of what you might be interested in doing.

Well, I was messing with quests the other day and from what I understood basing on digitalparanoid's tutorial - we have to write all the objectives on our own (basing on journal entries). Sure it sounds easy enough, but since "the team" is a group of people from all over the world, I would say that even writing down simple task may cause some problems. You know... Like the difference between "a" and "the" and such. Even famous "your" and "you're". And since the project is so ambitious and everyone is aiming at the highest standard that Skyrim engine allows to achive - Maybe it's worth to have someone that could take care of that aspect as well?

corwin78
corwin78's picture
Compared to the weenie

Compared to the weenie little Morrowind CK, the Creation Kit looks like a nightmare swamp to me. I had a quick look at the 'Quests' thread & will investigate further when I've recovered from last night's Skywind binge (stayed up 'way past my bedtime revisiting old haunts). I'm willing to help in any way I can, but the learning curve seems pretty steep...

In the meantime I'd be happy to massage any text that comes my way, including quests in MW-format .esp files. Translating same into Skyrim .esp format might take a while, though.

[ p.s./afterthought: my area of interest is Skywind, not Morroblivion or Skyblivion. In my opinion, Bethesda has put out 3 great games: Arena, Morrowind, and Skyrim. Daggerfall & Oblivion were total clunkers.

tommythegun
tommythegun's picture
Contributor
Other than tutorial from the

Other than tutorial from the quest thread, I think that this one: http://www.theengineeringguild.co.uk/index.php?option=com_co...

is pretty useful. I think it helps understand what changed between CS and CK. And it's always good to compare one tutorial to another in order to memorize what's what (well.. maybe not "compare" since one is about converting quests from another tool and the other is about making a quest from scratch and about differences between said tools). I hope you will find this useful.

P.S. I still can't handle scripts part (which means I'm not helping with the quests myself ;) ) so keep in mind that this is newbie's advice :)

MarcMurray92
MarcMurray92's picture
Hi there, just joined this

Hi there, just joined this forum after being curious about skywind for a while, just wondering do you guys need some help modeling weapons?

I'm a second year digital media student who's done a year of 3d in college, along with some graphic desig, and I'd love the idea of helping out in this project somehow.

eloth
eloth's picture
@MarcMurray92 If you want,

@MarcMurray92

If you want, you can start to model the chitin weapons, we are looking for a close replica of those weapons from morrowind.

Mehh
Mehh's picture
corwin78 wrote: Compared to

corwin78 wrote:

Compared to the weenie little Morrowind CK, the Creation Kit looks like a nightmare swamp to me. I had a quick look at the 'Quests' thread & will investigate further when I've recovered from last night's Skywind binge (stayed up 'way past my bedtime revisiting old haunts). I'm willing to help in any way I can, but the learning curve seems pretty steep...

In the meantime I'd be happy to massage any text that comes my way, including quests in MW-format .esp files. Translating same into Skyrim .esp format might take a while, though.

[ p.s./afterthought: my area of interest is Skywind, not Morroblivion or Skyblivion. In my opinion, Bethesda has put out 3 great games: Arena, Morrowind, and Skyrim. Daggerfall & Oblivion were total clunkers.

Nah, the Skyrim CK is actually a lot more polished than the Morrowind CS. A lot of stuff done in the Morrowind CS, is done a lot easier in the Skyrim CK. Skyrim CK is really simple to use, once you get a feel of it. The Skyrim CK looks overwhelming at first, but it's pretty easy to use.
ChristianNP
ChristianNP's picture
Hi, I have have just

Hi, I have have just converted the original Morrowind background art to Skywind, if you are interested;

http://sta.sh/01gq2edd448r

BeBop
BeBop's picture
Hey guys, not really an

Hey guys, not really an experienced modder here (played around with it for morrowind, but not much since). the portion of the game that I would really be interested in helping with is NPC creation. I would be interested in working through a list of Morrowind NPCs and recreating them in the skyrim engine as best I could. If this is a part that I could help with, awesome, if not, i'll help where i can, maybe terrain recreation or just walking through and suggesting sounds and lighting.

grumpycat
grumpycat's picture
Hey BeBop, well we have the

Hey BeBop, well we have the NPC created, but we need to give them AI packages and also do the quest portion and dialogues, so you'll be able to help straight away if you get into these.

If you can check out our quest creation thread that would be fantastic.

Ravanna
Ravanna's picture
Contributor
Donor
Sweet

Sweet

AttachmentSize
Image icon Success-Kid.jpg8.17 KB
Razorsack
Razorsack's picture
so quest work and level

so quest work and level design are my strengths so if i could get a list of locations that need to be worked on then i would be more than happy to help 

grumpycat
grumpycat's picture
Hi Razorsack, You can pick

Hi Razorsack,

You can pick either or do both if you want. We only have a few users who are doing the quests, so it would be nice to get some help in that area. But also tons to do with level design if you want to do that as well.

Digitalparanoid is best to speak with about quests.

Talk to me (happychappy) or eloth about level design.

anathemastudio
anathemastudio's picture
Hi everyone! I read through

Hi everyone!

I read through what needs to be worked on, and I'm volunteering. 

I know how to work with creation kit (and construction kit too), do level design, landscapes, scripting basically anything from npc packages, merchants, etc. to quests. I'm not great with modeling - pretty new to that, but I have the programs to do it and I'm willing to learn.

I guess if you can let me know what needs done or who to connect with, I'll see what I can do.

I don't know how much info you need about me, but I've made TES mods for a few years and have the usual programs (if you need the details, pm or email me and I'll fill you in.)

Have a good one!

digitalparanoid
digitalparanoid's picture
welcome, depending on what

welcome,

depending on what you like to work, we have navmeshing, landscaping, cluttering, quests, etc... You should be able to find a thread about each topic to get to know the progress made and who to contact.

The Adoring Fan
The Adoring Fan's picture
Hello, everyone. I am just

Hello, everyone. I am just letting you know that I may be getting into this amazing project soon. Ive been doing a bit of modding for the nexus, but I was just banned Im pretty upset right now because the ban was a complete misunderstanding. I contacted the admins and if they dont respond or decline my plea I will turn my attention to skywind. Im an average modder and Im still learning but I would like to work on this project. I am assuming I will be able to use the CK while helping with Skywind? This site is so massive its hard to find the right thread 

Khar'lor
Khar'lor's picture
(No subject)

donAllister
donAllister's picture
Contributor
If you have any questions,

If you have any questions, fan, ask.

Mehh
Mehh's picture
The Adoring Fan wrote: Hello,

The Adoring Fan wrote:

Hello, everyone. I am just letting you know that I may be getting into this amazing project soon. Ive been doing a bit of modding for the nexus, but I was just banned Im pretty upset right now because the ban was a complete misunderstanding. I contacted the admins and if they dont respond or decline my plea I will turn my attention to skywind. Im an average modder and Im still learning but I would like to work on this project. I am assuming I will be able to use the CK while helping with Skywind? This site is so massive its hard to find the right thread 

Yeah, from what I've heard it's pretty easy to get banned on the Nexus, it's part of the reason why they're DDOSd so much.
The Adoring Fan
I got banned for having two

I got banned for having two accounts, but I wasnt even aware I had two accounts until an admin told me and immediately banned me without allowing me to explain myself. Ive never even used the other one, and I dont know the email or password to get in. I made my appeal but havent got word back. Part of me wants to get unbanned and part of me wants to stay banned so I can work on skywind! Only time can tell....

LASentry
LASentry's picture
Donor
How on earth would they even

How on earth would they even know you had more than one account? I do too, I haven't been on the first one for years...

The Adoring Fan
They use your IP address by

They use your IP address by seeing if any accounts use the same IP address. 

CiaranB123
CiaranB123's picture
The Adoring Fan wrote: They

The Adoring Fan wrote:

They use your IP address by seeing if any accounts use the same IP address. 

What happens if it's you and a family member, or you're at uni and logging in with others as well?

Pages