182 posts / 0 new
Last post
HappyChappy
HappyChappy's picture
Wanting to help? A guide to various Skywind tasks.

If you're looking at this thread then hopefully you've been inspired to get this enormous but rewarding project from alpha to its final release.

There is a small team of people who work on this website literally 24/7 (as a team, no individual has done that yet, close, but not yet). There are no team leaders as such, just people with knowledge around certain subjects, so there is no strict organizing or micro managing of things.

The tasks change on a weekly basis which is why it is difficult to assign people to jobs who are not listening in to daily conversation. To fully grasp what needs to be done and what has been done, you need to be proactive in seeking information and asking questions. But we will try and keep the forums updated as best we can.

The first important rule; is that if you truly want to help, that you carry through with your task. About 70% of people stating that they want to help invariable leave without trace. This in fact hinders the project. This makes it hard to organize or collate things, and just means that the people who stick with the project end up taking on the work, usually starting from scratch because the person has not communicated what they have done.

So without scaring too many people off, enthusiasm is great, but results are better.

Here are the current tasks:

Level Design / Editing:
We are in need of people who have experience with creating/editing environments in the Creation Kit or are willing to experiment with improving the Skywind landscape. There is a priority at the moment to focus on how major improvements can be done using various techniques that people have already applied to their own mods. This will be a mix of brainstorming for ideas on what can be done with possible scripts and also the invariable editing in the Creation Kit.

If you have lighting or effect experience then there are all sorts of neat things that can be utilized for Skywind that you might be inspired to try or suggest.

Please check out the thread below for more information: http://morroblivion.com/forums/skyrim/skywind-development-fo...

Quests:
Setting up all the main quests of Morrowind into Skywind is a mix between porting automatically and hooking up information manually. If you are willing to learn the process then this will be a major step in getting the game working. Please visit the following thread for how you can help.
http://morroblivion.com/forums/skyrim/skywind-mod-releases/3306

There is also a detailed quest conversion tutorial now, so if you want to learn how to use the Skyrim Creation Kit, and really help out with Skywind, it's easy - no prior experience required. Provided you read the tutorial that is :)
http://morroblivion.com/forums/skywind/skywind-development/2800

3d and 2d artists for Modeling:
We have a core set of things that need to be done. This includes getting the Armor, Clothing, Weapons and Creatures into Skywind. These need to be defined exactly how each will be achieved, but if you are up for the challenge then you can help with getting this process underway.

For Armor specifics go to this thread: http://morroblivion.com/forums/skyrim/skywind-development/3423

For Weapon specifics go to this thread: http://morroblivion.com/forums/skyrim/skywind-development/5126

Like any Skyrim mod, you are more than welcome to work on any aspect of the game. There are 5,000 meshes and textures each, so plenty to enhance.
If architecture of a favorite faction is your sort of thing, or flora and trees, whatever it is, then go ahead. It might be fixing a texture to better a fit a model or remodeling the meshes themselves.

Whatever you’re forte, it will pay to state in the thread what you want to work on so that you are not at conflict with anybody else, but here is a chance to immortalize your work into a game.

If you are interested then we are currently setting up a 3D modeling team where we will have people who can concentrate of certain tasks. We will not limit you in anyway, if you want to work on something by yourself, that is fine, but we also will have a group that will work together on producing outstanding assets. Visit the link below for more information on the modeling team: http://morroblivion.com/forums/skyrim/skywind-development/3691

Creation Kit / TES5Edit / Modding:
Have some experience with the Creation Kit or know your way around ESP/ESM data? Without directing you to anything specific, state what you know and you will be able to jump right in and help. Leave a message and we will get you into the chat and tasks will surface for you to help with. We will need potential script writers for various game mechanics, so if you are interested in figuring out with us how to achieve some of these things, then you will enjoy becoming part of the team.

Here's a simple task: http://morroblivion.com/forums/skyrim/skywind-development-fo...

Navigation-Meshing:
Members of the team are systematically going through each cell, but it’s a time consuming task. We have some tutorials on what to do and we can help and direct you. This is good if you have a bit of spare time now. Check out the thread below for information.
http://morroblivion.com/forums/skyrim/skywind-development/3333

Coding / Scripting:
We have some tools that we are working on to help port things now and in future. We have some coders working on some Modelling tools. We use scripts to manipulate data as well, for various batch type operations. Any experience with the layout of data in all/any the Elder Scroll games will mean that you will be able to help with various needs and tasks. This is the core of setting up Skywind at the moment.
The thread below does not specifically define anything that needs to be done, but it’s place that we have discussed a few aspects of tools that we might need.
http://morroblivion.com/forums/skyrim/skywind-development/3487

Voice Actors:
A category that we have not focused on for a while, but we really need to get people on-board. Please go to the thread for finding about how you can help with voice acting.
http://morroblivion.com/forums/skywind/skywind-development/3022

General Tasks:
As I said it’s a small team so trying to organize tasks is a little difficult if you don’t have any of the above skills or knowledge. The best thing you can do is keep visiting the forum and there is bound to be stuff that crops up. We will post them here and you might think you are up for the challenge.

Hopefully one of these will tickle your interest, so welcome :)

Edited by: HappyChappy on 03/15/2014 - 02:47
digitalparanoid
digitalparanoid's picture
One thing I thought about is

One thing I thought about is AI Packages. I'm at work so I can't check what we have so far but I guess not much or at least not assigned to the NPCs.

AI Packages is basically where you add life to your NPC. You put their schedules, say for a guard

breakfast from 8Am to 9Am in the local barracks

patrol from 9AM to 1PM in current town

lunch from 1PM to 2PM in barracks (or local pub whatever)

patrol from 2PM to 8PM in current town

dinner from 8PM to 9PM

sleep in barrack from 9PM to 8AM

etc... I guess some NPC schedule are documented in UESP or other wikis. Otherwise try to create something that makes sense (basically don't send a crucrial NPC to the other side of the island if it's not mentionned).

Don't be afraid by the AI thing. It's not that difficult, lots of tutorials in the Creation Kit wiki.

You basically create template and apply to NPC with specific parameters.

And voilà, people start moving around, living the life !

I know that's something I have interest in but can't work on due to workload on quests.

Only thing, I don't know how this interfaces with Navmeshing... but even if navmeshing needs to be done first, this task can be started.

Ooh only thing: don't modify any vanilla Skyrim AI package, otherwise it will impact vanilla NPCs

thermador
thermador's picture
Administrator
Donor
Promoted this post to the

Promoted this post to the front page.  Good info.

Nobeus
Nobeus's picture
Contributor
Hi everyone, 2 years ago i

Hi everyone, 2 years ago i helped with morroblivion project. Now i am gonna help and with Skywind. First thing that i did-i am remade almost all daedric and some other textures. I have  been reworked textures with new bump and spec maps for better looking on skyrim engine. Today i started work in CK and my first work was a corrections of Imperial Guards-now they will wear armor and will use torches. Archers now also has bows and will use it. Guards use leveled items. Some screens attached. I will continue to work in the CK to fix the various errors and bugs. 

Shadow
Shadow's picture
Contributor
Thanks for coming back! There

Thanks for coming back!

There are some things you should know though.  We are using a system of armor like Morowind, so just adding Skyrim armor won't do any good until we have the split armor models.

Also, Eloth has completely overhauled all of the textures, and I am not sure if that is needed, but you'd need to ask him.

HappyChappy
HappyChappy's picture
Hey Nobeus, welcome back.

Hey Nobeus, welcome back. Visit the http://morroblivion.com/forums/skyrim/skywind-development/3691 on how you can help with armors or some other aspect with graphics for Skywind.

Nobeus
Nobeus's picture
Contributor
I am already talked about

I am already talked about textures with eloth, so we splitted some work on the textures with him. This is a temporary solution, not to leave guard completely naked) So what about another ck editings? I can handle with more things than armor-attributes, skill, etc.

Mehh
Mehh's picture
Yeah, you wanna landscape

Yeah, you wanna landscape edit, and fix up our fugly landscape?

A Precious Pony
A Precious Pony's picture
I've done a little modding

I've done a little modding and would love to help, but I really don't have time.

From the little I know about modding, it seems a tool like Skyproc could do a lot of the translating from the original morrowind ESM's and ESP's in regards to facegen and NPC's.  Don't know about voice files, items, quests, ect. 

Nobeus
Nobeus's picture
Contributor
About landscaping... What

About landscaping... What should I fix? Textures or meshes?

Now I'm getting permissions from the authors of all the modifications that we could use in Skywind. Maybe someone know how can i  contact with Connary?

And by the way, I think that I can do the placement of armor  (which is already done) on the NPCs.

Shadow
Shadow's picture
Contributor
Okay, we have to wait for

Okay, we have to wait for Alexanderb to get back with the armor, and the instructions for setting up nodes first though.

I think Mehh meant that sometimes you find errors in the landscape texturing.  Like black patches or seams that need to be fixed in the CK.

Mehh
Mehh's picture
http://morroblivion.com/forum

http://morroblivion.com/forums/skyrim/skywind-development/3460

This thread shows a pretty good example. It has been nearly a month, so it's safe to assume the guy ragequitted, but his thread shows off what I'm talking about.

Nobeus
Nobeus's picture
Contributor
I knew that for Morrowind and

I knew that for Morrowind and Bloodmoon was created plugin for fix it. Here it is 

http://morrowind.nexusmods.com/mods/42170

But i think that we can't use it already?

TonyB500
TonyB500's picture
Actually, I have a few

Actually, I have a few suggestions. Why not ask the guy who made the Skyrim Monster Mod for help? I used the SMM to add several creatures to Morrowind on my game, like the Guar, Daedroth, Hunger, and Ogrim and such. There are creatures that would need to be created though, such as the Golden Saints, Clannfears, and Cliff Racers (there is a Cliff Racer mod, but it's just a retexturing of the hawks in the game).

Drodiggs
Drodiggs's picture
Hi guys.  ok, so i dont have

Hi guys.  ok, so i dont have extensive experience in modding or anything, but i would love to help you guys out.  ive been playing ES games since morrowind and have modded oblivion and skyrim. been a member of nexus for a little over 2 years now. i have used the creation kit to create npcs and successfully implemented them into the game.  i also have half of a house built lol.    if there is anything i can do to help like bug hunting or the like, please let me know!  ill be around.

Nobeus
Nobeus's picture
Contributor
I got permission from authors

I got permission from authors to use several mods related to Morrowind from SkyrimNexus, that we can use if needed. 

Morrowind Style Clutter and More 

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/24883

Morrowind Like Soul Gems

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/30348

And once again received permission from the PrivateEye for using  models from him

And i am waiting for another authors permissions

Shadow
Shadow's picture
Contributor
I already got permission from

I already got permission from PrivateEye forever ago about using all of his models....

We've had the Morrowind style clutter mod brought up multiple times.  Almost everything is just a retexture of Skyrim stuff.  Besides, all of our clutter is really nice, why would we want to replace it?

That soul gem mod looks like it could be of some use though.  Anyway thanks for taking the initiative and keeping an eye out for things we could use.

eloth
eloth's picture
we already have non morrowind

we already have non morrowind clutter, and when i think about it, i made a replacement mod for soulgems for morrowind ages ago, we can use that, i forgot about it :)

ironman12345
ironman12345's picture
Drodiggs,Your CK skills

Drodiggs,

Your CK skills sound interesting,and also the half built house.

When a new building is done assuming you are putting NPC`s into it,they will need to be able to move around.

What i mean is that your house will need some navmeshing done on the floors,we have a lot of internal cells that need it too,so if you are interested in that subject and would like to give it go,head over to the the navmeshing thread,there are a couple of video links in the first post that explain what is needed.

Welcome!

Nobeus
Nobeus's picture
Contributor
Hi, guys, sorry, but it seems

Hi, guys, sorry, but it seems that i cannot help you are with landscape editing. But I spent the whole day on the editing of Morrowind books. For the beginning I adjusted models of books - now they can be read, previously in your inventory displayed only model of the book. I edited EACH book from Morrowind, Tribunal and Bloodmoon, (except magic scrolls) the text is now displayed correctly, so you can read any book. Skill Books now properly teach the skills when you read them. http://www.mediafire.com/?g8f0hstrt2tcscy

digitalparanoid
You should ping Machine. I

You should ping Machine. I think he was doing stuff on the books but I don't remember what exactly (meshes, animations, textures ?). Hopefully both your work are not overlapping and complement each others !

Nobeus
Nobeus's picture
Contributor
Silt Strider

OK, guys. Today i am finally had Dragonbord DLC​. And i am used model of Silt Strider from this DLC. It is fully functional-animated, placed in the world, and will use original sound.

Link http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?qc57mbr76q66q3j

Sorry for wrong link, now all correct

Shadow
Shadow's picture
Contributor
Um, you really should ask

Um, you really should ask before you do that kind of work. Machine already updated all of the books days ago, with exactly the same changes you just mentioned.  Oh, and I changed the books so they teach you the correct skills already.  It was merged in the last master.

Sorry that you had to do double work.

Good job on the silt strider though, that should be merged.

Edit:  Wait, how did you add it?  We have a script that will replace form ids with another form id automatically.  Those cups are just placeholders.  I guess it is fine if you did these by hand, but it is good to know if you decide you want to replace anything else.

zilav
zilav's picture
Contributor
Yes better to replace cups

Yes better to replace cups which already hold "reserved" references instead of deleting them and adding new refs.

Nobeus
Nobeus's picture
Contributor
Shadow wrote:Oh, and I

Shadow wrote:

Oh, and I changed the books so they teach you the correct skills already.  It was merged in the last master.

About skill books-they don't teached skills in last master, because  this function do not was activated.

About silststrider-i am added model  without replacing or changing anything else.

If you want i can replace something else by hands. I can use some models and textures from dragonborn.

Shadow
Shadow's picture
Contributor
Nope, I just checked.  My fix

Nope, I just checked.  My fix was merged and according to TESV Edit, books should be teaching skills.

Oh, sorry, for some reason I thought that the strider references were cups.  I just realized that they simply had a placeholder model.  If you ever want to replace anything that was there in Morroblivion but is now a blue Skyrim cup though, just let us know and we'll use a script.

Good work, I'll see if we can't have Machine merge that in our working master.

Nobeus
Nobeus's picture
Contributor
Can you share a script,

Can you share a script, please? I wanna try it. Now we have all models from Dragonborn, that we ca use i think. About siltstrider-it need a Soundmarkers placements for correct sounds, i tried to make it for all of them, but CK crashed in Ald-Ruhn.

orgint
orgint's picture
Contributor
@digitalparanoid is there a

@digitalparanoid is there a post (similar to the facegen post) that lists who is working on what AI? Or has no one started this yet? I'm looking for something not entirely beyond my capabilities but that will break up the monotony of just redoing NPC faces all day.

digitalparanoid
I don't think there's any

I don't think there's any post for now. Please start one ;)

Also I'm wondering if the users will be able to move considering the current navmeshing but anyway, that shouldn't prevent from working on this topic.

orgint
orgint's picture
Contributor
Well, after unsuccessfully

Well, after unsuccessfully attempting for the past couple of hours to get various NPCs in Balmora to move, at all, I think I am resigned to conclude that AI Packages are beyond my capabilities, lol. Neither guard patrols nor average NPCs would do anything. Would current navmeshing make them unable to move at all (unless attacked, they can move if you shoot them)?

Ni-Morrighan
Ni-Morrighan's picture
Book Lore?

Do you guys need the actual book lore written out? Or already have that done?

digitalparanoid
I'm not 100% sure about how

I'm not 100% sure about how navmeshing works. For me it tells the NPC where they can move. So probably your AI packages are correct and the Navmeshing prevents them from moving.

If there's a technical limitation for now but you're interested, you can probably start designing some of the schedules at least on the paper. Like : this guys sleep until 7 Am, on mondays he goes to the temple for between 2PM-4PM...

Mehh
Mehh's picture
If it's an interior npc, then

If it's an interior npc, then yeah, it's probably lack of navmesh. I've seen exterior npcs move, and chase after monsters.

ironman12345
ironman12345's picture
orgint,It depends on where

orgint,

It depends on where your NPC[s] are to start with,if they are for example in the Balmora main square [where the fighter`s guild is] then the navmeshing would be external,you can check this in the CK in the render window by hitting the navmeshing icon and viewing the ground mesh.

But let`s assume that the meshing is ok then to make an NPC move to a preset path [there are wander etc paths built into the CK],you can pick the type of movement path needed.

But there are also functions that can restrict those path movements to within a region or cell etc,I can`t explain fully how it`s done but that is the general idea.You might also need a bit of scripting to time the start and end of the paths etc.

Internal is the same,but you then have to find a path that is internal [ I think there is a function for internal and external paths],by function I mean a condition added to the NPC[s] that starts off the movement.

I had the same problem in morroblivion when some wolves that I added just moved when I moved,and stopped in mid stride if I stopped,so I had to put conditions on them to make them move and attack me etc and even chase me for a given distance in the region or cell.

kevinprice21
kevinprice21's picture
Voice acting

Hey all,

I am getting a new computer this week that will finally be able to play Morroblivion and Skywind. I really want to help out and since I have never made any mods or worked on any graphics, I would love to help with voices. I will start recording a few this week and see what you all think. I notice that there are still a lot of female voices unassigned. While I can do a pretty good Monty Python female voice, I doubt that is what we are looking for. ``I DON`T LIKE SPAM!``  Anyway I look forward to helping with this project in any way that I can.

Vivivaz
Vivivaz's picture
yeah

yup, same here ;(

dtom
dtom's picture
Contributor
About Me: What do you need?

Hi

I've been lurking around this project for sometime and finally decided to take the plunge.

My user name is dtom, and I've been modding since Oblivion's first release.

I produced Verona House:Bloodlines

http://oblivion.nexusmods.com/mods/14601

and wrote a Beginners Guide to Modding which became the feature article on the Construction Set wiki for Oblivion.

I also released some mods for Fallout 3.

I've retired from releasing mods (too many trolls), but have kept my hand in making mods for my own use.

I'd love to help out in anyway I can.

I can't model or texture, but I do know my way around the CK and can

Landscape,

Build and clutter interiors

Conditionalise Dialogue

Conditionalise Quest (inc quest markers if required)

Script

Do NPC AI's

Play Test etc

Not sure where your needs are most

digitalparanoid
Hey, welcome onboard. the

Hey, welcome onboard.

the list of tasks you could undertake/join looks very much like a todo list :) So, really jump in where you have more interest. A few remarks, bullet point style

-Landscape: there's a thread on the forum to get you up to date on who's done or is doing what

-Build and clutter interiors: I don't think there's any organized effort on this, but this is needed :)

-Conditionalise Dialogue, Conditionalise Quest (inc quest markers if required), Script : I guess that's in my bucket. We have a lot of interesting things to do. There's a sticky thread in the release (eh) sub-forum. I will update the OP as soon as we release v0.6 but you can gather some stuff.

-Do NPC AI's : clearly needed but not started yet afaik. I'm interested but have much work to do before getting there.

Not necessarily for you but also one task that is needed and I might get around it sometime, but anyone want to do it in my stead, you're welcome: make functional merchants out of the relevant NPCs. I know there are some tutorials online for this task...

Oh and another thing, anyone wants to complete/tweak the chargen intro... feel free to do so, I really butchered that one :)

hope this helps.

Shadow
Shadow's picture
Contributor
Sweetness!  Any help from

Sweetness!  Any help from experienced modders is much appreciated. :)

I think digital has made a pretty good list, so post what interests you, and go ahead and start.  If you need help you can ask anything you want in the public chatroom.

j.ahn
j.ahn's picture
What about Music?

Hey all, I was wondering if Skywind project is planning to use music used in within Skyrim - since using materials from Morrowind would be not permitted within this project.

What are your plans? If it's necessary - I'm professional composer from Canada, and I'm willing to volunteer into this project :)

eloth
eloth's picture
hi We need to get all the

hi :)

We need to get all the morrowind soundtracks(well except those from skyrim/dragonborn) remade or covered :) More or less in the same style and atmosphere, only sounding grander, with a slightly modern twist

Shadow
Shadow's picture
Contributor
Honestly we're probably never

Honestly we're probably never going to get this completely legal, at least not for many more years.  We're probably fine using Morrowind soundtracks for quite a long while yet.

However, I am always okay with new arrangements or entirely new pieces, and we would definitely use them ingame. :)

CiaranB123
CiaranB123's picture
Contributor
Hi guys, I've been lurking

Hi guys, I've been lurking around these forums for quite a while now and I've decided now that I wanted to help out and wanted to ask what I could do.

I could do the landscapes or maybe something like the AI packages, so if you guys could give me something to do then I'll start working on it, although I can't work on it now as I don't actually have Morrowind but I can get it as soon as anyone needs some to do something :).

HappyChappy
HappyChappy's picture
CiaranB123 - I take it you

CiaranB123 - I take it you have Creation Kit experience? Yeah AI packages would be great! Digitalparanoid is doing the quest stuff at the moment, so it would be best to co-ordinate with him on anything to do with NPCs. It might be that you can actually help with the quests instead, but you'll have to let us know what you are comfortable doing.

Otherwise plenty of landscaping to do, check the thread : http://morroblivion.com/forums/skyrim/skywind-development/3805 and ask me what you want to work on and we will get you set up.

SimplySerenity
SimplySerenity's picture
Looking to help out

Hello, What type of work needs to be done as far as weapons? I can model swords fairly well, but I would need someone to do textures as I'm an awful texture artist. Also, I've done level design for a few different game mods in the past, so maybe after some learning I could help out with the level design for this. Picture is of a sword that I modeled a few months ago.

CiaranB123
CiaranB123's picture
Contributor
Yes I've used the Creation

Yes I've used the Creation Kit a fair bit before and I could do some landscaping if that is what you guys want :).

HappyChappy
HappyChappy's picture
SimplySerenity - we haven't

SimplySerenity - we haven't really organized weapons yet, so I can only direct you to a couple of threads that may give you some incite into what we need weapon wise. But I suspect it probably most things. I thinl at the moment we only have equivalent Skyrim replacements and also some links to some modders resources for possible replacements. Would be good not to double up on weapons that other modders have already done, but until we collect a full list of what is out there, will be hard to know.

http://morroblivion.com/forums/skywind/skywind-development/3100

http://morroblivion.com/forums/skyrim/skywind-development/4290

http://morroblivion.com/forums/skyrim/skywind-development/4272

Mehh
Mehh's picture
CiaranB123 wrote: Yes I've

CiaranB123 wrote:

Yes I've used the Creation Kit a fair bit before and I could do some landscaping if that is what you guys want :).

Check this thread out then.
http://morroblivion.com/forums/skyrim/skywind-development/3805
Ghalithegreat
Ghalithegreat's picture
I could help with makig items

I could help with making 3d items if you want.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Ghalithegreatesthits/myworkshopfiles/

I made some items these are 4 of them.

Robotgrandma
Robotgrandma's picture
I don't know how to really mod but I could make faces

I hear your team is making unique faces from Morrowind and putting them into Skywind and I could do that using the creation kit I just need a list of peoples faces to make. :D

HappyChappy
HappyChappy's picture
Hi, already been done An

Hi, already been done :) An awesome effort my many individuals.

Any chance you have other Creation Kit skills? Our NPCs need to be given AI Packages...if you want to bring them to life as such.

Pages