11 posts / 0 new
Last post
Shadow
Shadow's picture
Skywind Ingredients

So Morrowind did not have any food items.  All ingestibles were either ingredients or potions.  And some of these really didn't make much sense.  As such we are thinking that it might be a good idea to switch some of these over to other categories.  If we do, we might just create a brand new ingredient to take the old one's place.  For example, if we turn Rat Meat into a food, we might create a new ingredient called Rat Skin that would have the same effects as the old Rat Meat, but remain as an ingredient.

Here is a spreadsheet giving proposed changes.  I hope everyone gives their opinion on it.  And gives their ideas of what we should do.  Anyone can edit it, so make any comments in the last empty column.

Edited by: grumpycat on 03/14/2014 - 22:29
brutal7
brutal7's picture
Contributor
My thoughts

I think we should stay close to the original, but this can always be an optional mod

Shadow
Shadow's picture
No offense, but the original

No offense, but the original was just plain stupid.  I'm pretty sure it was only done that way because it wasn't possible with the Morrowind engine.

But of course that is just my opinion.  Any other thoughts?  I already have the opinions of Machine, and Eloth.

brutal7
brutal7's picture
Contributor
Ok

I suppose some of the mineral ingredients could be made unedible until made into potion

Smerk
Smerk's picture
I actually sorta miss the old

I actually sorta miss the old pedestal way instead of the station. but other then that I have to agree with Shadow that some of the ingredients shouldn't be edible lol. honestly I don't think rubies are edible. But I do miss the pedestals. They made the game seam more open, well I think so atleast.

uvirith
uvirith's picture
Looks good!

The proposed changes look good to me! This is one of the examples, like introducing craftable Morrowind armour, of small ways in which the Skyrim engine can help add more richness to TES3.

Eventually, we could perhaps create a plugin with food recipes and craftable armour/weapons, allowing players to put some of the miscellaneous hides, ore, chitin etc to use...

CemKey
CemKey's picture
What prevents us from

What prevents us from ingredients used in the creation of food or armor?

Shadow
Shadow's picture
Nothing Cemkey, it just

Nothing Cemkey, it just doesn't make sense is all.  Why would rat meat be an ingredient raw, but a food cooked?  And why would you be able to make a potion out of the same stuff you use to make armor?  I personally like eloth's idea of creating new ingredients such as rat skin, or rat teeth to replace those that would be moved to new categories.  These would behave exactly the same, in everything but name.

Machine
Machine's picture
My first reaction was to

My first reaction was to leave them be as ingredients also, but then I realized it wouldn't make much sense for some named items to be both an ingredient and a crafting item.

A good example is the daedric heart. It's just an ingredient in morrowind, but in skyrim it's a crafting item. There's many more item's like raw ebony, diamonds, pelts that make more sense to be a crafting item.

I like Shadow's proposal. Now you should work on making replacements for the 27 ingredients on your list.

Nebbie
Nebbie's picture
Saltrice:food; keep pelts consistent and replace with Skyrim's.

I think that having pelts be replaced by skyrim ones is a good idea, and should be done consistently (this is about near the bottom, snow bear, wolf, and snow wolf are listed as being put to misc currently, while just bear pelt is listed as replaced with skyrim version.)

Saltrice is a bit odd to keep as is. Saltrice is actually stated to be a food with modest magical properties. Ideally, it should be both a raw food and a potion ingredient, but since this is probably impossible to really do, it would be best as a potion ingredient like it is now, but with restore health brought to the front (to act like a raw food in that it heals you) and to be an ingredient in stews that restore modest amounts of stamina.

Shadow
Shadow's picture
Oh, I was in the middle of

Oh, I was in the middle of changing that about pelts, but got sidetracked. :)

Good idea about Saltrice.  Perhaps the same thing for Whickwheat and Meadow Rye?  Also, scuttle is listed as a food on uesp, but I'm not sure about that either.