12 posts / 0 new
Last post
Bombuster3
Bombuster3's picture
Nobody is invincible.

As most of us remember in Morrowind, every single NPC was able to be killed, albeit at the cost of the integrity of the main storyline: With this character's death, the thread of prophecy is severed. Restore a saved game to restore the weave of fate, or persist in the doomed world you have created. 

When Oblivion and Skyrim rolled around, this mechanic was replaced with invincibility for your vital NPC's to the story. If we're really going to harken back to the Morrowind days- Shouldn't we give fan-service, and make it so that nobody may live forever?

digitalparanoid
digitalparanoid's picture
Probably not 100% (for

Probably not 100% (for technical reasons), but most NPC you will be able to kill.

zilav
zilav's picture
Contributor
Don't forget about

Don't forget about 'protected' flag to avoid them killing each other :)

Smitehammer
Smitehammer's picture
Contributor
Why not 100% as an option?

Why not 100% as an option?  Sometimes I felt like bashing Caius Cosades' face into the back of his skull - lecherous skooma fiend.  You could have important NPCs like companions, where they 'take a knee' and aren't visibly attacked by monsters around at that point, but you still have the option of slaying them yourself (and then a message pops up that says you've severed the thread of important fate destiny mumbo jumbo... do you want to continue).

Mehh
Mehh's picture
There is a difference between

There is a difference between Essential and Protected. Essential means you can beat the shit out of the NPC and the NPC will never die.

Protected means that if a Cliff Racer swoops into a town and beats the shit out the NPC, he or she will never die. But, if you the player comes around and beats the shit out of the NPC, he or she will die.

digitalparanoid
digitalparanoid's picture
Smitehammer wrote: Why not

Smitehammer wrote:

Why not 100% as an option? 

I'm not saying 100% because you never know. I'd rather have an essential NPC than an utterly broken game (I'm not talking about the player breaking the main quest or a questline).

Tajnarasha
Tajnarasha's picture
Kill every merchant. Save.

Kill every merchant. Save. Know suffering. 

TheDjango
TheDjango's picture
It was so annoying when I

It was so annoying when I felt like being an assasin and tried to kill the jarl of whiterun, only to discover that he, along with his entire court was invincible, and also just about every other citizen of whiterun. This cannot happen in Skywind!

It should be so that npc's are protected against wildlife like cliff racers etc, but should the player want to, every last human being on vvardenfell can be brutally murdered ;)

Hidden Legend
Hidden Legend's picture
Or when you complete the

Or when you complete the Skyrim main quest and now you decide to take out the enemy camps but there is always one guy who wont die even though you completed the main quest and he is not essential.

225sam
225sam's picture
On steam there is a mod for

On steam there is a mod for skyrim called Kill them all.

Hidden Legend
Hidden Legend's picture
Should play it with the

Should play it with the Metallica album of the same name playing.

alysander
alysander's picture
Most of related NPC lives in

Most of related NPC lives in really isolated condi#ns - i think they don't even need #protected.