6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Ardenon
Ardenon's picture
Quest tracking concern

Hoping to stay true to Morrowinds questing system as opposed to Skyrims, my concern and question is - how will the quest tracking system be implemented if at all.

digitalparanoid
digitalparanoid's picture
What exactly do you call the

What exactly do you call the quest tracking? For now the journal is the same as in Skyrim. It obviously has some challenges with the way Morrowind's quests are written.

Ardenon
Ardenon's picture
In Morrowind you only had

In Morrowind you only had your journal which you had to read to follow your quests, you could not track them on the map or the compass. The text in the journal was your only guide. As opposed to Skyrim where there's barely any information given in the quest log and I found it impossible to do them withought pinging them on the map.

I personally found the Morrowind "quests" more appropriate to an immersive world and that's basically is my concern - how is the questing system going to be implemented in Skywind?

Ehamloptiran
Ehamloptiran's picture
Donor
Well you will get the same

Well you will get the same journal entries as you did in Morrowind. But it will only display the last entry for the quest as far as I know. So in some ways it will keep the morrowind feeling. With descriptive entries. But you wont be able to look back on previous entries for the same quest.

Quest objectives have been set up to tell you want to do next with the help of markers, which can be enabled or disabled using DigitalParanoids - Skywind Facts And Configurator mod.

digitalparanoid
digitalparanoid's picture
if you don't use the

if you don't use the configurator, just change the globalvariable value in console:

set fbmwShowQuestMarker to 0 (to disable)

set fbmwShowQuestMarker to 1 (to enable - default)

--------------

With regards to the logs, as described by Ehamloptiran the vanilla system is only showing the last log.

There are two ways to enhance this:

1/ modify the logs so that they use all the previous steps logs.

e.g. today:

log 1 : I have met some dude.

log 2 : He asked me to kill another dude

Could be 

log 1 : I have met some dude.   log 2 : I have met some dude. He asked me to kill another dude   The issues here would be: - size of the text area in the UI? - multiple paths in complex quests, needing to write multiple paths.   2/ Is it possible to update the journal UI ? I think it's flash...     I think the better quest objectives mod on nexus is using the 1st approach...   -------------   Another thought I had a while ago is using the "take notes" mod and script every quest journal update so it adds an entry in the mod's journal. I haven't tested this mod or looked at its code, so I don't know if that would be possible.
Ehamloptiran
Ehamloptiran's picture
Donor
I think having our own Take

I think having our own Take Notes style mod integrated would be awesome, have the new Quest tracking of Skyrim mixed with the Old school Journal entries taking of Morrowind.