11 posts / 0 new
Last post
Roundaround
Roundaround's picture
Skywind BugTracker: A How To

I would like to offer my services as a manager for the Skywind bugtracker found here. I will be monitoring the issues submitted to the system, and attempt to respond and modify as needed, in hopes that the system can be made usable by the developers on the project.

How to Use the BugTracker

A bugtracker is a type of software application dedicated to project task management and organization. Properly managing such a system can prove to be essential for large scale projects with multiple developers.

Notes to Keep in Mind

When creating an issue, it is important to keep in mind a few things. First of all, the system is design to have a single issue for every specific task. Because there is no way to indicate progress, umbrella and list issues will be denied attention and closed in favor of item specific issues. Exceptions can be made if an active list is kept elsewhere, where developers can frequent and modify (and more importantly keep up to date) the list of items that pertain to a specific issue. For example, an issue could be made as an umbrella for the voice acting project that is maintained via a spreadsheet. That way, developers and actors can check the list for objectives to meet and and tasks to complete.

Secondly, try to test and reproduce bugs before submitting them. More information means an easier time pinpointing what exactly is going wrong!

Thirdly, always include as much relevant information as possible. A strong example of an issue that lacks necessary information would be:

"My game crashed in Balmora, any suggestions?"

Include things like time of day, weapons and armors equipped, current quest, race and gender, and most importantly what you were doing at the time. An example of that last issue possibly improved could be:

"Entering Balmora Thieves Guild at night before reporting to Caius in the main quest crashed my game. I had a bounty on my head and the guards were chasing me, and it took several seconds of being in the Thieves Guild before it crashed, likely because the guards tried to follow me." Here is a screenshot of the error message when it crashed.
[insert image here]

Creating an Issue

Coming Soon...

Issue Statuses

Coming Soon...

If any of the website admins could shoot me a message or reply here I'd like to discuss permission changes to the system so that it isn't flooded with support requests and duplicates.

Edited by: grumpycat on 03/14/2014 - 20:28
Roundaround
Roundaround's picture
Just bumping this thread in

Just bumping this thread in hopes that devs/mods/site admins see this.

ArchieVision
ArchieVision's picture
I love the idea. PM

I love the idea. PM either Eloth, happychappy, or Mehh. They are the current Site moderators. Getting organized and having someone to keep the most prominent bugs toward the front would be a great idea. 

Roundaround
Roundaround's picture
Just bumping for the edited

Just bumping for the edited OP.  This pertains to all users, testers, and contributors.

digitalparanoid
digitalparanoid's picture
I have to admit we (I) are

I have to admit we (I) are not using the bug tracker as much as we (I) should because we're still largely in a dev phase and also because it's not used as much as it should by visitors.

However, I like the idea of having you taking the lead on this and organizing it :)

LASentry
LASentry's picture
Donor
We might as well keep this

We might as well keep this thread alive, so here are some graphical bugs I've discovered within 5 minutes of playtime in Skywind version 0.9.2.1 (Dev release).

1) The water has been made too high - either that or everything around it just needs to be moved, including paths, posts etc. Also, the leaves on the top of the water flicker and teleport a lot, and as you can see in this picture they have lines through them - comparable to an interlaced video. I've noticed these glitches in many ponds, not just this one - by the way it is near Hla Oad.

2) Two sets of water at different levels - pretty self explanatory, just outside Seyda Neen, here's an image:

digitalparanoid
my 2cts are on the assets

my 2cts are on the assets update...

LASentry
LASentry's picture
Donor
What do you mean?

What do you mean?

Jobe wan kenobi
Jobe wan kenobi's picture
I'm presuming he's saying

I'm presuming he's saying that its the assets update that has either caused this or will fix it :P

digitalparanoid
We updated a lot of models

We updated a lot of models for 0.9.0.2 and I didn't check them (blame happychappy ) so I guess it's related to that. I didn't merge any landscape change for the bitter coast recently.

thermador
thermador's picture
Administrator
Donor
A few notes:

A few notes:

• The OP of this thread hasn't logged in for almost two months.
  • The bugtracker no longer exists, as there was no upgrade path from Drupal 6 to Drupal 7.
  • Using Google Code with subversioning (svn) and a subversion managment software like TortiseSVN (all of which are free) would be ideal for a project like Skywind.