Pages

73 posts / 0 new
Last post
alysander
alysander's picture
I think not coasts - better

I think not coasts - better if it'll be caves.
Small creature more-light-than-air and without powerful wings will be just thrown by the wind in ocean.

Yixist
Yixist's picture
I agree with alysander, they

I agree with alysander, they wouldn't be able to cope with the strong winds.

Caves or sheltered valleys etc. would the way to go.

Looking very nice! Cant wait to see them in-game

Yours Truly
Yours Truly's picture
I also like number four, my

I also like number four, my only suggestion is perhaps barely less wavy tentacles.

Smitehammer
Smitehammer's picture
Contributor
Well wouldn't they only need

Well wouldn't they only need to seek shelter when it's storming?  Like any animal or person would do?  I would love to see them dancing across the shores.  Insects don't spend all their time swarming in caves just because of a light breeze.  If a hurricane blows through they might settle on some trees or something.

If possible, just have the netchlings fly 'off' when the weather's stormy, and come back in when the storm is over.  They can go to the same place glowbugs went in the daytime.

Dragomir
Dragomir's picture
Contributor
I'm absolutely loving all of

I'm absolutely loving all of these. They're going to add so much life to the game!

alysander
alysander's picture
@SmitH: Insects have wings to

@SmitH: Insects have wings to move.

Dragomir
Dragomir's picture
Contributor
Actually, looking at the

Actually, looking at the molecrab - how about it would replace the mudcrabs in Azura's Coast? Not much mud there, would be really cool to have a marine version of the crab in there, and would make sense too, since Telvanni make helmets of them. Mudcrabs would be mostly populating the bitter coast, while Molecrabs the eastern shore. Whaddaya think?

Fury_on
Fury_on's picture
I've used to blend few of my

I've used to blend few of my sketches and here comes the baby-netch. What do I think about its lifestyle: netches are vivaparvous, females drop little larvas just into the air. Little ones are the predators - they glow into the night to attract small night insects and after insects are stick on a glue tentacles larvas absorb them. What about horrible winds - I think the netches can feel when the weather goes bad (like the most insects IRL) and then hold on the trees/rocks with a help of theirs tentacles. [By the way, in Skyrim, can we see fireflies and butterflies while the stormy or heavy rain?]

Dragomir
Dragomir's picture
Contributor
I'd expect the little jelly

I'd expect those little adorable jelly netch larvae to float around Ascadian Isles and Azura's Coast ;) Jelly animals probably need a rather moist environment, and access to water. Other than that - they'd look so good around Telvanni towers and Hlaalu plantations :D

ScumpunxDave
ScumpunxDave's picture
Contributor
love the concepts i had some

love the concepts i had some spare time so i decided to have a play around its only in its early stages yet but hope you like it

Yours Truly
Yours Truly's picture
Looking great!

Looking great! Consider adding something similar to Nordic Barnacles on the shelll near the mouth

http://images.uesp.net/thumb/a/a0/SR-ingredient-Nordic_Barna...

Also, despite the concept art, it might make more sense (I may be wrong) to replace its arms with claws. It seems like it would be difficult to gather food with its current er... hands.

That being said, this looks great, and I love the model and original concept. Keep up the good work you two :)

DatEndlessAbyss
DatEndlessAbyss's picture
As a suggestion it would be

As a suggestion it would be neat to include Skyrim creatures/animals into Solstheim as it's climate is similar to it. Meaning Deer, Elk, Rabbit, Foxes, Ect..., but have them take on a more distinguished look, similar to the look difference of wolves from Skyrim and Solstheim.

Smitehammer
Smitehammer's picture
Contributor
Perhaps the island effect -

Perhaps the island effect - things larger than a rabbit are shrunken down, things normally rabbit sized and smaller become huge!  So tiny elk wolves and bears (compared to Skyrim) but gigantic versions of rabbits, foxes, and other normally small animals that could inhabit the area.

DatEndlessAbyss
I like the concept you

I like the concept you provided, but for sake of lore it depends. When it comes to the creature scale sizes i would personally stick with how their size was depicted in Morrowind, but that doesn't mean you can't scale up the smaller animals, larger more hostile (rabid-like?) foxes, or rabbits with much more HP boost and bulkier appearance. Also could their be room for a moose just cause? 

P.S Could the bears and wolves of Solstheim be much more difficult then skyrims variants as they are the most common threat to the introduction of Bloodmoon DLC. I hate to pile so many suggestions on to one post but is their also a need to add werebears as I believe they existed for a while, but again that depends on lore and public opinion, but would make for some interesting Werewolf vs. Werebear events.

Smitehammer
Smitehammer's picture
Contributor
Well there weren't any wlk or

Well there weren't any wlk or rabbits or foxes in Bloodmoon.  Just wolves bear and horkers (which were like the spawn of Predator and seals, not three-tusked walruses like Skyrim.  That was it.  They may have been added in Skyrim, but I'm sure they would have just reused the models from the base game.  Besides, we can get creative.  Miniaturized megafauna from Earth's past - mini mammoths, mini giant sloths, mini wooly rhinos, giant corpulent rabbits, huge saber toothed squirrels, perhaps some giant serpents in the image of Jormundgandr. 

DatEndlessAbyss
I was aware of the lack of

I was aware of the lack of ambient wildlife of bloodmoon (when Morrowind came out in 2002 for PC it I no lifed that game for long periods of time, I loved Morrowind!) Also are you referencing smaller versions as in smaller Mammoths then usual, say people sized variants as an example, not mini but smaller. So like I said I'm all for adding mammoths, deer, elk, rabbits, foxes, and ect... for immersion, but size differences depend on public opinion. 

Ex. This size?

http://www.nature.com/news/mini-mammoth-once-roamed-crete-1....

Because I feel like gameplay wise I would not mind people sized variants, but it would have to be molded lore wise to explain the smaller sizes of animals, such as in a journal or book within the game.

Finally as for adding "Ice-age" or new creatures entirely that's a tough route to take, there would have to be concept, ways to make it lore friendly personally I would just suggest to work with Skyrim creatures and Bloodmoon's but with a twist, as this would be less time consuming then just piling on new creatures. (However when Skywind Phase I is complete then I would say to developers go right ahead and pitch new idea's.)  

Smitehammer
Smitehammer's picture
Contributor
Yeah, think of the size of

Yeah, think of the size of Solstheim. We could fit like 2 normal mammoths there without them looking out of place.  Or we could have a herd of mini-mammoths, and make Solstheim look distinct from Skywind.  I don't think we would necessarily need need a book explaining this - it happens in nature do to population dynamics on an island with limited resources and space.  But more importantly for us, it makes sense based on how tiny the map is.

alysander
alysander's picture
> mini-mammoths

> mini-mammoths
Some muskox analog will be much more adequate. May be i should draw some concept later. Idea's success depends heavily of the possibility stock/herd behavior.

DatEndlessAbyss
True about it's natural

True about it's natural occurrence, but it still wouldn't hurt to include a journal from an NPC's corpse who studies wildlife and make the observation about their sizes due to the islands smaller scale.

Solstheim is already going to look different from Skyrim ( There is a thread all about Bloodmoon progression that includes Skyrim, Morrowind, and new concept to show it's difference) The herd of smaller mammoths would make sense to be located north of the island, as that is the colder environments. When it comes to wolves, bears and horkers they should stay their size so that their isn't a drastic difference from Bloodmoons creatures.

Also again werebears, should they be included or scraped? They do fit into lore now (if not maybe have Hircene reference how he will reintroduce them in years to come, Hint- Dragonborn) 

Smitehammer
Smitehammer's picture
Contributor
Well Horkers aren't dependent

Well Horkers aren't dependent on land based food supply.  They wouldn't be affected as greatly.  But I kind of liked the seal-like predator face appearance of the Bloodmoon horkers.  Bears and the like you could keep the same, But definitely not in the same numbers.  Also, Mammoths need vegetation - lots of it.  They didn't live on glaciers subsisting off ice.  The area around Whiterun would have actually been ideal for them.

DatEndlessAbyss
Horkers should be more

Horkers should be more Bloodmoon like. Bears should be still as prominent (as  aside from spriggans, Drauger and wolves they are one of the biggest threats of the southern part island), but bears should have increased attack and health then skyrim's. Wolves should keep the larger packs and looks as in bloodmoon.

DaedricLord
DaedricLord's picture
Request "Ash walker" hope

Request "Ash walker" hope ​scumpunx or Alysander will take this
Creature is based on Horseshoe Crab more images it will live in ash pools

Ashlanders craft "ash walkers" using the creature's carcass to walk on lava here is video of first test

Pages