Shushine's picture
Contributor
[WIP] The Scrib

Scrib work has begun this will be rigged to the spider: 

Edited by: grumpycat on 03/15/2014 - 01:51
bluesausage
bluesausage's picture
Other than the head looking
Other than the head looking awful squat. It looks great.
Serithi
Serithi's picture
I thought someone was already

I thought someone was already working on the Scrib? Or have they dropped out?

iceflame542
iceflame542's picture
Contributor
I really like it, but I feel

I really like it, but I feel like the tail end should be a little longer. Also, Wolfid was working on one a while ago, but the last post was in June. I'm not sure if he is coming back to finish it or not.

GendunDrup
GendunDrup's picture
I like this one because it is

I like this one because it is more fit to the spider skeleton. It will probably easier to fit the wiring.

MCGONN
MCGONN's picture
That's a fat scrib

That's a fat scrib :P

Serithi
Serithi's picture
Wouldn't it be easier to use

Wouldn't it be easier to use the Ash Hopper from Dragonborn? The design's slightly different, but it's pretty clearly just a Scrib under a different name, or it's closely related to Scribs at least.

Ravanna
Ravanna's picture
Contributor
Donor
for the sake of creature

for the sake of creature variety, and the need for more "critters", we've moved ash hopper to its own species, the scrib is a larval form of the kwama worker.

Forager parasites are their own species that use the kwama species to grow and reproduce.

Serithi
Serithi's picture
Actually, from looking up

Actually, from looking up more on the Ash Hopper, there's no need to move it to its own species, can just use it as a variant Scrib model to go with whatever else gets made. If you look in the game data, it specifically defines the Ash Hopper as "Scrib", they carry the Droops disease just like the TES3 Scribs do, and they have jelly, meat and chitin just like the TES3 Scribs (well, the chitin wasn't a drop in TES3, but you know what i mean).

It's a bit more insect-like than the TES3 Scrib, but the ESO one is downright spider-like, so obviously they have some variation leeway we can work with.

no1
no1's picture
te knowe that serithi but

te knowe that serithi but because most knowe it as a asshoper the wanted to make somthing that looks more like a scrib  so i dont get i was to lazy to make somthing new so here is the same thing u knowe already but whit diferent name stuf

Serithi
Serithi's picture
no1 wrote:asshoper But in

no1 wrote:

asshoper

:P

But in seriousness, i kinda disagree that most people know it as the Ash Hopper. I think we know it as the Scrib first and foremost, from TES3.

But also, i wonder, by making it sorta its own thing, do you just mean that game-wise so you can have it spawn in the Ashlands specifically while the regular Scrib spawn elsewhere, and lore-wise they're still Scribs just adapted to the different regions? Because that actually makes more sense.

SikSikSikki
SikSikSikki's picture
It really helps viewing these

It really helps viewing these kinds of things side by side. When looking at the Ash Hopper next to the original Scrib, they look exactly the same.

Eyes are in the sameplace, basic body shape is the same, mouths are the same... The only real difference is the fact that the Ash Hopper is missing a couple legs.

Ravanna
Ravanna's picture
Contributor
Donor
Id make the ash hopper ash

Id make the ash hopper ash lands only.

whilst they may look similar from the side, they animate compeltely differently.

Scribs walk like large slow insects, like spiders/woodlice,  ash hopper litteraly HOPS like a fucking cricket. So i stubbornly maintain they're not the same species.
Now i'm going to sulk.

SikSikSikki
SikSikSikki's picture
Well, I'm not saying anyone

Well, I'm not saying anyone is right here. For all we know, Ash Hoppers are scribs that evolved so that they can move about in the ash better.

QuarterChubsIV
QuarterChubsIV's picture
The kwama have always

The kwama have always confused the heck out of me, but I think I might prefer shoeshines to dragonborn's. Bethesdas doesn't look like a larvae and I've never seen a scrib jump. I think Bethesda confused themselves and ended up making the "ash hoppers" it's own species because they didn't want to add the rest of the kwama to the dlc. It's not too far fetched to think of the ash hopper as an evolved scrib sub species that adapted to post red mountain eruption solstheim. I'd stick to what's cannon and shoeshines scrib definitely seems more lore friendly. 

Serithi
Serithi's picture
Ravanna wrote: Id make the

Ravanna wrote:

Id make the ash hopper ash lands only.

whilst they may look similar from the side, they animate compeltely differently.

Scribs walk like large slow insects, like spiders/woodlice,  ash hopper litteraly HOPS like a fucking cricket. So i stubbornly maintain they're not the same species.
Now i'm going to sulk.

Well that's that thing, they're obviously not the same species of Scrib as the vanilla TES3 one, but they're still clearly a species of Scrib. That's why i'd be fine with having the Ash Hoppers only spawn in the Ashlands, just make sure they both sound similar enough to reduce any further confusion. Strictly speaking there's no canon saying the Ash Hopper species wasn't around during TES3, ditto for the spider-like ones from ESO.

EDIT: Perhaps the spider-like ones could be mostly used in caves, they're Scribs that've spent most of their time in caves and such so they're adapted for the rougher terrain and walking along walls and such. Whereas outside you have the classic Scribs, and the Ash Hopper Scribs in the Ashlands.

iceflame542
iceflame542's picture
Contributor
I feel like if the Ash

I feel like if the Ash Hoppers were meant to be Scribs they would just call them Scribs, I would agree that they are different. Although they may have intended to make Scribs at first and then changed their minds, since the Scrib is a life stage of the Kwama, there can't really be another species of Scrib, as that would be like saying that there is another species of children, without an adult equivalent. It would be cool to add Ash Hoppers to the ashlands though. Also, is this scrib going to have 6 or 8 legs? 

Edit: the Eso scrib looks like a more mature scrib that is closer to reaching the next stage in its life, as it is more Kwama-like than larval. So in that regard, if we have more variants they could both be there

Serithi
Serithi's picture
They do call the Scribs, in

They do call the Scribs, in the game files. They just neglected to include the Kwama in Dragonborn.

Just because the Scrib is a stage of Kwama, that doesn't mean there can't be different species of Scrib that've adapted to their enviroment, just means they in turn become different species of Kwama. Saying the Scribs and Kwama in TES3 are the only species is like saying there's only one species of dog in the world, or one species of bird. We can have multiple species of the same creature in Skywind, something Bethesda didn't put to much use in the vanilla games.

Shushine
Shushine's picture
Contributor
Updated: 

Updated: 

MCGONN
MCGONN's picture
IMO it needs to be thinner,

IMO it needs to be thinner, have skinnier legs and a longer tail end.

Tajnarasha
Tajnarasha's picture
I think the spider skeleton

I think the spider skeleton is making the prospect of a thinner Scrib a little difficult, in which case this is quite good! What I could say is maybe make the legs a little less round at the top? They should be a little more angular and insect-like. 

Shushine
Shushine's picture
Contributor
yep

yep

Shushine
Shushine's picture
Contributor
Sorry, for the lack of

Sorry, for the lack of updates Pc is broken but im working on fixing it so hopefully i'll get it up and running.

mxzero11
mxzero11's picture
Probably a little late but

Probably a little late but couldn't the chuarus be a viable skele, you would have to scale up the model for it to rig right but I believe it might pull better results, and of course it would have to be scaled back down in game.