Pages

136 posts / 0 new
Last post
Dragomir
Dragomir's picture
Contributor
Landscape Concept Art

It seems that landscape concepts are going to be a thing big enough, they can use a new thread. Post anything here, your sketches, finished concepts and reference photos ;)

whizafriz
whizafriz's picture
Azura's Coast. Started this a

Azura's Coast. Started this a couple hours ago. I saw in another thread someone was thinking of doing basalt columns for the area; I liked that idea, and decided to play with it and make some layered / stepping stone rock formations near the coastlines. I think it compliments the flat round shapes of the mushrooms. 

Comments & Critique welcome.

lukkar
lukkar's picture
Contributor
Cool Do you use shaddy safadi

Cool

Do you use shaddy safadi brushes. I'm just curious :P Anyway, I started sth connected with Azura's Coast too, but my works are in too early stage to show sth :P Anyway I like composition but I think can't yet say sth. Where do want place focal points?

Dragomir
Dragomir's picture
Contributor
This is looking great so far!

This is looking great so far! Suddenly, with the rocks being so big it makes sense for Cliff Racers to live in that area (as they'd have places in which they could make nests). As you progress I hope you focus a bit on water life ;) Add some mussels and crabs maybe. I'd love Azura's Coast to be the most marine of our landscapes.

whizafriz
whizafriz's picture
@lukkar Thanks! I don't

@lukkar

Thanks! I don't really remember where I got the brushes, haha sorry. I've started using some of the default Photoshop ones a lot more, like "Flat Point" for roughing out shapes. There's some other brushes I used in there, like grass, and rocky/clustery blotches for rock shapes.

No real focal points in mind yet. I might do some other sketches of the basalt columns and see what kinds of vegetation or barnacles/algae I can place on them. Maybe one of the caves or tombs is bored deep within some?

@Dragomir

Thanks! I agree that marine life could be a neat subject to tie-in. I'll try and do a sketch of some sea-life details along the shoreline. I also really like your idea of cliff racer nests, I can see them swirling about on the tops of the spires and crowing/cawing, haha.

fivetinsoldiers
fivetinsoldiers's picture
Sheogorad, working with the

Sheogorad, working with the basalt column idea. I really like the shape of the columns, I think they give off a perfect other-worldly and fantasy feel. In this sketch I was testing out introducing the squarer shapes to the curves of Sheogorad in a subtle way. From a distance the silhouettes of the landscape are largely unchanged but close up we see a more layered environment. I'd really like to try developing the big rock formations further to have more angular, geometric shapes too. Thought I'd post this here for C&C first though before I got too drastic. Happy to hear your thoughts!

Thermocrius
Thermocrius's picture
Contributor
Yes, I want some more

Yes, I want some more pictures from an above POV. (Azura's Coast)

Tajnarasha
Tajnarasha's picture
Hilariously enough, I kind of

Hilariously enough, I kind of saw Sheogorad and Azura's Coast's concepts being reversed - with Azura's Coast having less mountainous formations and a generally warmer feel while Sheogorad's coastline would be filled with menhirs of various sizes, imitating what you drew in the first picture. It looks colder, and closer to what I envisioned for the northern-most archipelago of Vvardenfell. 

whizafriz
whizafriz's picture
Tajnarasha wrote:

Tajnarasha wrote:

Hilariously enough, I kind of saw Sheogorad and Azura's Coast's concepts being reversed - with Azura's Coast having less mountainous formations and a generally warmer feel while Sheogorad's coastline would be filled with menhirs of various sizes, imitating what you drew in the first picture. It looks colder, and closer to what I envisioned for the northern-most archipelago of Vvardenfell. 

I think you're right. 

I was going off of a picture of Azura's Coast which made it SEEM like it was pretty high-up, but when I really think about it, the mountainous qualities of it are probably very limited, meanwhile Sheogorad's rocky and northern feel would make the large formations much more appropriate. Good catch.

@fivetinsoldiers: I like the grass you put around the large basalt columns in the ground before the coast. Has a cool feel to it.

grumpycat
grumpycat's picture
This is brilliant. This is

This is brilliant. This is exactly what we need. Different ideas/looks are good. This covers about 1/3 of the map, so the more ideas the better.

I was thinking the some of the menhirs could be turned into much larger standing islands, so I'm glad you ran with this idea. I really like the idea as Dragomir said of Cliff Racers perched on them for added atmosphere and realism.

kyky
kyky's picture
I love all of these. I'm

I love all of these. I'm still thinking for Sadrith Mora we could do a heavy mushroom forest. Somewhere along the lines of http://0.tqn.com/d/scifi/1/0/j/i/-/-/Mushrooms.jpg. 

whizafriz
whizafriz's picture
@happychappy

@happychappy

I like that concept you posted, it almost reminds me of the River Samsi that lies next to Gnisis (like near the Koal Cave area), but with more of a Solitude-esque, landmark-feel to the rock formations.

lukkar
lukkar's picture
Contributor
This is my idea for Sheogorad

This is my idea for Sheogorad.

I was thinking to create tundra, harsh style landscape. Anyway original landscape seems to me varied little. Everything was very greyish and dead. It would be nice if we add some other rock formation than basalt columns, sth more complex. And add some vegetation in several places. Anyway this is only WIP, finished piece will be in the near future.

Comments & Critique welcome.

@whizafriz

Anyway, it would be cool if u add some ground creature to feel the scale.

grumpycat
grumpycat's picture
I'm really liking it lukkar.

I'm really liking it lukkar.

I was pitching the idea of Sheogorad to look a bit like Iceland a few months ago, given latitude in Tamriel to the cold north. Below is the picture from Iceland, I cant help but notice how similar the feel is, so I think we are onto a winner :)

Dragomir
Dragomir's picture
Contributor
Iceland is actually a pretty

Iceland is actually a pretty good bet. Basalt columns and active volcanoes also fit that idea :P

fivetinsoldiers
fivetinsoldiers's picture
I'm leaning towards that cold

I'm leaning towards that cold Icelandic environment too now for Sheogorad. I really dig the landscape lukkar painted. I think the combination of the harsh white lighting, the low & sparse vegetation and huge expanse of sky really sell that chilly feeling. Hmmm, yeah definitely liking the white light. Would love to see some more menhirs, maybe some in the water?

Oh one thing I was thinking about, some parts of Sheogorad are densely packed with hills/menhirs/plants etc, walk down one hill walk up another, while there are also much more open areas like lukkar painted. How are transitions (visually) going to be handled between areas?  Maybe more sand/stone towards coast -> further inland you go it builds up to a thin, short, hardy scrub -> even further inland the scrub becomes thick and dense around inland menhirs... Something I found and think might suit: http://thinknice.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Iceland-Landscape.jpg

@kyky
It might just be me, but the image you linked isn't opening. ):

lukkar
lukkar's picture
Contributor
@happychappy

@happychappy

Really cool reference, I feel this landscape in this way too :) BTW. maybe it will be my next study ;P

Anyway I wanted to create transition from coastline to mainland. From bare rocky hard surface to more dense vegetation, like fivetinsoldiers mentioned. I think basalts forms should be more present on coastline (Erosion works more here: salt, water, wind) than inland. Anyway I want add scree more or less like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Lech_DRagon_2005_ter.jpg . The look of Morrowind was limited by technology. We can allow for more guys :)

@Dragomir

Volcanic activity will be cool but I think we should keep original game :) I was thinking not about active volcano or lava lakes but about hot springs or streaming hot steam places.

@fivetinsoldiers

Thks for tips! I agree with u ;) I will try add more features but not too much. Anyway, I don't know if we need for all this new mainland landscape.

@To all

Thks for feedback guys :)

lukkar
lukkar's picture
Contributor
I created final piece. I

I created final piece. I wanted to submit it  in Monday but Photoshop corrupted file during saving :/ Here is bigger size: http://lukkar.deviantart.com/art/Sheogorad-431981010?ga_subm...

whizafriz
whizafriz's picture
[/URL]" />

Another concept for Azura's Coast (or Sheogorad, whichever it could be used best for), focusing on basalt columns. I de-emphasized mushrooms and large plants in this sketch, and tried the idea of smaller bunches of stringy marine-like weeds and stalks for vegetation.

DaedricLord
DaedricLord's picture
whizafriz I have not read the

whizafriz I have not read the topic, but I like your concepts, cool, good if u show a cliffracer nest somewhere on a high pillar cliff

alysander
alysander's picture
I think Iceland is more
Tajnarasha
Tajnarasha's picture
It's really pretty, whiz! I

It's really pretty, whiz! I really like the opal color you've given to the ocean - part of me really wishes it would be possible to change the color of the water in places to give Azura's coast shores a sort of algae bloom or Caribbean feel to set it apart from the other beaches of Vvardenfell. That said, it looks a bit barren at the moment - it would be nice to incorporate other nautical elements into the landscape like seashells and coral to give it a distinctive visual identity. Since Vvardenfell is a volcanic island it would also be a great opportunity to represent that in Azura's coast with geysers and hotsprings. Everything to give it that sea-side paradise fantasy look.  

whizafriz
whizafriz's picture
@lukkar - I like how you got

@lukkar - I like how you got some sand near the coast, and some low-lying columns coming out of the water. The rolling shapes of the hills seems to fit the area nicely -- gives it a very organic vibe. I think it'd be neat to see a lot of seashells in the sand in-game like this: http://www.baylor.edu/content/imglib/1/3/5/7/135778.jpg

@DeadricLord - Thanks! Yeah if there aren't any concepts for nests, I'm sure one of us can start sketching some ideas, I'd be more than happy to.

@Tajnarasha - Thanks! Yeah I chose that color for the water to suggest a marine-salty look. I agree that the land looks pretty barren, I like your suggestions of sea shells and coral. Having that embedded into the rock walls like coquina could be neat. I also like this image for under the water: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_RgwAVLhORek/SwopReooq8I/AAAAAAAAAH...

Hotsprings and geysers would be cool too, although I dunno how close to the coast they should be. Are they typically near water? (I know it's fiction, lol, just thinking out loud).

Tajnarasha
Tajnarasha's picture
For the hotsprings and

For the hotsprings and geysers; 

It really depends on the geological disposition of the region. If it is actively volcanic, you could theoretically have geysers and hotsprings anywhere including underwater. I believe Iceland has a few notable examples you can look up easily on google. For your convenience, here are a few examples that could be added to really embellish how AC looks. 

http://www.funwallz.com/image/hveravellir-hot-springs-hd-wallpaper-13166.jpg

http://www.tourismontheedge.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/beautiful-pamukkale.jpg

alysander
alysander's picture
Not concept yet, just simple

Not concept yet, just simple question: mushroom forest like this (screen from mod: Shadow of Morrowind) will be placed anywhere on Vvardenfell, is'nt it?

EDIT: will be on the island, a large, dense forest of mushrooms? In original MW it's only small spots of mushroom thickets on Sheogorad and open woodlands in Ascadian Isles, but on present engine we can make more big and dense "forests".

Shushine
Shushine's picture
Contributor
alysander wrote:

alysander wrote:

Not concept yet, just simple question: mushroom forest like these (mod: Shadow of Morrowind) will be placed anywhere on Vvardenfell, is'nt it?

What? 

whizafriz
whizafriz's picture
@Tajnarasha - These are cool,

@Tajnarasha - These are cool, and could look really nice framed around some points of interest, like a cave or grotto. I like how the white stepping-stones mimic the stepped patterns of basalt. Mixed together could be a neat idea.

Nandi
Nandi's picture
Contributor
Great concepts whizafriz :D

Great concepts whizafriz :D

lukkar
lukkar's picture
Contributor
Another concept for Sheogorad

Another concept for Sheogorad. More green than previous one. It needs a bit polishing but it's quite good to show. I always wanted to see some waterfalls in Sheogorad. Maybe in the center bay. Bigger size here: http://lukkar.deviantart.com/art/Sheogorad-inland-434092622

@alysander

I see only one kind of mushroom, we need more variety (and only mesh looks like original in morrowind, texture is a way more different, they were more "woody" I think). Mushrooms differ in dependency on climate. In Sheogorad the are more "woody" and "dry", in Azura coast they are more "vivid" I don't know how to call it :P Maybe Vvardenfell is small but very rich in variety of regions.

About mushroom forest. I don't think it is good idea. Because:

1) There is nothing like that in original game.

2) Mushrooms grow in groups, not pointed here and there in equal distance. What u see above the ground is only fructification.

But u can create something like copse.

@whizafriz

Thanks for warm support :) Yeah I think this is quite good idea with those "seashells". Land looks more harsh. Anyway with those geysers is good option too, they can be underwater or above or in the land. But not too much and only in several places. I don't remember that in Azura's coast was any volcanic activity :P Maybe karst activity. Your second piece is good but I think this is better for outer regions of Azura's coast or for Sheogorad (looks harsh) than inner. Compare it in Morrowind. They looks different.

@DaedricLord

Good idea with the nest.

LASentry
LASentry's picture
Donor
Hmm, that last one is

Hmm, that last one is actually pretty cool. Ravanna and I were talking about a yellow-ish style grass with rocks/mushrooms so maybe that could be incorporated in Sheogorad. We just need to make sure it looks very different from the other regions.

alysander
alysander's picture
> I see only one kind of

> I see only one kind of mushroom, we need more variety (and only mesh looks like original in morrowind, texture is a way more different, they were more "woody" I think).
= It was just example. Or do you mean project don't use mushrooms from Dragonborn? By the way, is Skywind needs Dragonborn?

> 1) There is nothing like that in original game.
= I think community can fix this unfortunate drawback

2) Mushrooms grow in groups, not pointed here and there in equal distance. What u see above the ground is only fructification.
= In MW they don't look that way. It's more tree than fungus - in some places they grow without plants in location. Futhermore fruiting body is usually shortlived.

Hoderon
Hoderon's picture
Hello! I'm new. Is there any

Hello! I'm new. Is there any specific concept art needed for a specific location? Please specify which, and I'll get to work Immediately and share what I can in black and white. Thanks!

lukkar
lukkar's picture
Contributor
@LASentry

@LASentry

Yeah, I agree. We should create Vvanderfell rich as we can :) I was thinking about that add more dense vegetation in some depressions or cracks like in real world. You can include also different weather "things" like poor snowing and raining, very sunny days (low amount of clouds), aurora at night or add sounds of strong wind. In terms of precipitation, it is desert-like. How about to add marsh, but different kind compare to the Bitter Coast? Maybe something like that: http://farm2.staticflickr.com/1328/1033350980_83fb75a06e_o.jpg

@alysander

I have to admit that I didn't play Dragonbourn :P I'm sorry, I don't know nothing about that Skywind needs dragonborn, ask happychappy. I saw renders from the game, and I think they looks pretty cool like here http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/Images/200764/?. On your screenshot they look like very bright. My mistake. Anyway I think they should look different due to the climate. For example more lively colors in Azura's Coast than Sheogorad. To save work we can change only textures. Maybe someone will add some own concept?

About forest like thing. I think it would be cool if we create biodiversity as rich we can. I think this one of best thing in Morrowind. It would be cool if we treat mushrooms like fungus rather than forest. But this is only my opinion. Anyway, on your concept mushrooms looks like pine forest. Everything is straight and orderly. It's looks a bit boring for me. Add some heterogeneity. I am sorry if this sounds harsh. Keep it up!

LASentry
LASentry's picture
Donor
Yeah and the best part of

Yeah and the best part of weather is including the colour schemes, like how the old Bitter Coast was green-tinted - if we did that (only slightly, but enough to notice) with all regions, we could make them look really different! Like the West Gash would feel reasonably warm and bright, so maybe just a few clouds around the horizon and a slightly (very slightly) orangey tinted sky.

lukkar
lukkar's picture
Contributor
@LASentry

@LASentry

It would be cool if every region will have some primary color. Maybe some slightly color filter (I don't know if u can implement that). Another thing is that we can see some humanity in air. For example in Bitter Coast add some mist or week fog.

Smitehammer
Smitehammer's picture
Contributor
I would like to suggest an

I would like to suggest an idea for Lake Nabia to be a 'hot lake'.  Looking at its location on the map, it is surrounded on three sides by open lava pits.  So it would make sense for Lake Nabia to be geothermically heated.  Colorful thermophilic archaea could form bright rainbowed layers from the coast along the temperature gradient, and the center could be a deep rich blue, as seen in Yellowstone.  The same 'steam' effects seen in the hot springs of Skyrim could be used for the surface of Lake Nabia.  This lake would be a jewel in the ashen wastes, but it would be untouchable.  Waters like this are near boiling, so to attempt to swim in it would incur 'heat' damage.  No vegetation, kollops, or fish should be in this lake, though the Nabia River downstream might hold some unique, almost tropical fish.

In the real world, places where hot-springs meet cooler tributaries are often support unique microcosms with life that can only survive at a constant, warm (not hot) temperature - such as the brain eating amoeba Nagleria fowleri.  Reservoirs where the super-heated water from nuclear powerplants are released warm the waters in Florida, and have extended the very limited range of the American crocodile (which is actually awesome).  But here in Morrowind, there are creatures which may be more suitable than amoebas and crocodiles.  There is mention in the lore of electric slaughterfish, which might not even be related to normal slaughterfish.  This area might be a good place to showcase them?

lukkar
lukkar's picture
Contributor
This time I show landscape

This time I show landscape for Grazelands

What do u think guys. I wanted to create warm, Arcadia style landscape. Bigger file here ---> http://lukkar.deviantart.com/art/Grazelands-435499880?ga_sub...

@Smitehammer

Cool idea, maybe if I will have some time, I'll try to sketch sth :)

Tajnarasha
Tajnarasha's picture
It's gorgeous. I love the

It's gorgeous. I love the rolling hills - it actually reminds me a lot of a Mongolian landscape, which I personally find quite fitting for the grazelands. I think a little more vegetation would see the look a bit better, but I'm loving how it's essentially desert dunes with grass on them. Nice art as always Lukkar :)

lukkar
lukkar's picture
Contributor
New art, this time Lake Nabia

New art, this time Lake Nabia

Yeah I know that there is no fort Marandus but I was focusing on the lake. Lake could be quite colorful compare to the souring area (greens, yellows, reds) something like acid lake. Of course river flows from it. It would quite nice if river has similar color like lake and mix with sea water like that, but I don't know if u can implement this, guys. Mud volcanos, geysers, hot springs and mist just above water would be cool too. What do u think? Here big resolution: http://lukkar.deviantart.com/art/Lake-nabia-437228598

More recourses and more reference which can aspirate u a bit

@Tajnarasha I added a bit vegetation but not too much, u can check in my gallery :)

lukkar
lukkar's picture
Contributor
Azura coast north. Bigger

Azura coast north. Bigger size-->http://lukkar.deviantart.com/art/Azura-coast-north-438599459

Some ref what could u inspirate, guys

It looks very similar to Sheogorad. To make some distinction between Grazelands and Sheogorad, I would add grass greener than Sheo and Graze, a bit lower than Graze, about at the height of the calf (Graze about to waist height) and add a lot of flowers to create some colorful meadow. Weather would be more misty and rainy. It has to be more alive than Sheo. Some landmarks and relish (flooded caves, caverns) would be cool too. In Skyrim engine original amount of menhirs would look like forest, therefore it should be less than in original. Maybe add more on the periphery when map is ending. Of course more rocky and less mushrooms than souther areas of Azura. As u noticed guys, whizafriz and fivetinsoldiers made concepts for south regions then will be some transition between south and north (latitude).

Smitehammer
Smitehammer's picture
Contributor
I think one thing Azuras

I think one thing Azuras coast could use to distinguish it from other coasts is abundant vibrant sea life, like tide pools on the Washington coast.

http://tahoelight.com/blog/2014/01/aliner-trailer-camping-al...

lukkar
lukkar's picture
Contributor
@Smitehammer

@Smitehammer

Good idea. Maybe I'll that some concept in near future but I think we don't to hurry with that (Anyway, now I have to deal with my one own personal project). We have a lot work with land anyway ;) The only problem is water in Skyrim. Is not transparent enough to see what is underneath it. But for shores is interesting idea. Ahh, and more examples for meadows (how I see that)

lukkar
lukkar's picture
Contributor
I was busy a bit last time. I

I was busy a bit last time. I have idea to add feature for Ascadian Isles.

Bigger resolution here---> http://lukkar.deviantart.com/art/Ascadian-Isles-at-night-442.... Yeah I know that region is almost done... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwnEXXUIBUI But I was thinking to add some bioluminescence for fungus (only at night), fireflies maybe for netcha? Then scenery will be completely different compare to the day. For southern isles I will add more ferns, ivy and tropical plants. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think this is hard to implement. How about  to add sound similar like these http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eE-_kNWJXNw ?

How I see glowing bugs

And some references about light:

Tajnarasha
Tajnarasha's picture
Absolutely love it!

Absolutely love it!

Yixist
Yixist's picture
Pretty sure I heard some

Pretty sure I heard some chatter on the forums earlier about having smaller, bioluminescent larval forms of Netch in the place of fireflies, which would fit in well with what Lukkar is proposing for the Ascadian Isles :)

lukkar
lukkar's picture
Contributor
@Yixist

@Yixist

I don't think it will be hard to implement :) Adding it as little 3d fireflies with independent dynamic lights will be too much for PC. But some simple sprites will one main omni light will be good enough :) I don't  know how do u want to implement glowing fungus at night. But I think the whole play with lights could enliven this region and add some immersive magic climate. Anyway I have idea for Molag Amur which I'm working on it right now :)

lukkar
lukkar's picture
Contributor
Molag Amur this time as I

Molag Amur this time as I promised. Bigger size ---> http://lukkar.deviantart.com/art/Molag-Amur-443537579

In original Morrowind's Molag Amur looks almost the same like Ashland. It looks like a bit Doom landscape but I think it came out good. Again to distinguish from Ashalnds I would add heavy yellowish-reddish "fog"; most rocks create as sharp edges, spiky, incandescent shapes; add some black crystals like on the left; bubbling lava pools; add some fossil trees and plants; add some bones etc; half-burned bridges;  and so on. I have ideas to create tunnels instead ordinary passes to Molag Amur, to establish more unfriendly, closed, hellish place. But what do want to do with that it's up to u, guys ;) I will add some addition sketches in near time to clear doubt. I wait for feedback. More recourses

Fossil tree:

Steep cliffs:

and others ;)

LASentry
LASentry's picture
Donor
First one reminds me of ESO ;

First one reminds me of ESO ;)

Medrike
Medrike's picture
Holy fucking shit lukkar. You

Holy fucking shit lukkar. You are amazing at this. How long does it take you to paint something like this?

Indalus
Indalus's picture
Hi guys, I'm new to the

Hi guys, I'm new to the forums, here's some concept art that I did...Sheogorad Region (just a 30mins painting to get me into Morrowind mood) and Daedric Ruins

Yours Truly
Yours Truly's picture
Indalus- welcome! I like the

Indalus- welcome! I like the shaping of your Daedric ruin concept, the spacing reminds me a of a ritualistic circle, which would perfect for worshippers; even the pond in the center. Nice work!

Pages