Pages

161 posts / 0 new
Last post
Ribtibs
Ribtibs's picture
[RELz] Ebony Dunmer Armor

Started the initial block in. About 5 hours into this. I'll pick it up again tomorrow, its midnight now @.@...

Edited by: Mace on 12/07/2017 - 09:08
Sechrima
Sechrima's picture
Awesome to see this here

Awesome to see this here already. However, there's one thing you need to fix...

Dragomir intentionally designed the helmet to mimic the Native Gah-Julan Bonemold Helm's shape, as this armor is inspired by House Redoran's style. Your visor slopes upwards at the front, whereas Drago's visor, and the Gah-Julan Bonemold Helm visor, both slope downwards. It seems like a minor thing, perhaps, but I feel it's pretty important.

Other than that, I can't wait to see what this looks like after being textured. It's probably my favourite armor model for Skywind yet.

Mehh
Mehh's picture
http://elderscrolls.wikia.com

http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Ebony_Ingot

Just want you to keep this in mind when making the textures and such. Ebony is basically the TES version of Obsidian.

tommythegun
tommythegun's picture
Contributor
Looking awesome so far. Ebony

Looking awesome so far. Ebony was probably my favourite armour and one of my favs when it comes to weapons too - so i can't wait to see it! Really, really cool, Ribtibs! And thanks to Dragomir for awesome concept :)

Dragomir
Dragomir's picture
Contributor
This is absolutely amazing.

This is absolutely amazing. It's exactly how I wanted it, I'm sure Bolvyn Venim will be thrilled to wear it :D

I have but two minor things that could be tweaked (otherwise it's PERFECT) - First off, although the more complex pattern on the chest scarab looks more appealing, I deliberately made it a Daedric R rune, that would stand for Redoran. Probably should have said that earlier too, sorry for that, somehow missed my attention.

Another thing - I think the scarab legs that grasp around the chest like ribs were a pretty nice looking idea, if it's possible it would be really nice if you added those ;)

Other than that, when I saw it... Man, I got the same feeling I get when seeing a reall hot girl. Like, REALLY hot. This is the HOT STUFF of armours.

LASentry
LASentry's picture
Donor
That's quite spectacular. I

That's quite spectacular. I love that heaps of armour is being done lately. Might seem like a trivial thing in the scheme of things but it truly is awesome.

no1
no1's picture
i can only say love it looks

i can only say love it looks just like the consept of dragomir cant wait to see your armors in game

Tajnarasha
Tajnarasha's picture
Amazing start, Ribtibs! You

Amazing start, Ribtibs! You really nailed the scarf and brooch which are one of my favorite touches about this set. A few things;

Your helmet bends at the front, whereas Dragomir's distinctively keeps a round shape all-around. In fact if you look at the trim between the mouth and head area, you'll see that it thickens at the front and narrows at the back - you did the opposite. Overall I'd also bring the bottom part of the helmet a little more down so that it covers the neck - right now it looks like this wouldn't be immensely protective in an ash storm.

The shoulder pads need to protrude a little more from the two smaller plates underneath. If you look at Dragomir's concept you'll see that they're slightly separated. They also need to be a little rounder. 

The elbow plate from the gauntlets need to be a a little longer, and also sharpened into a point at the tip. 

I echo the scarab legs comment. Speaking of the scarab, it would be a little more oval/tear shaped angling downwards and overall thinner. It will give you more space to add details to the side on the armor as well. Same for the jewel space right below! 

The belt needs to be thicker as it goes around the back. 

That's all for now. I can't wait to see how this evolves :)

Nandi
Nandi's picture
Contributor
Fantastic work Ribtibs!

Fantastic work Ribtibs!

Ravanna
Ravanna's picture
Contributor
Donor
excellent start

excellent start :)

grumpycat
grumpycat's picture
Shaping up nicely It would

Shaping up nicely :) It would be nice to emphasis the scrab (shalk) breast plate, make sure its a beetle shape and incorporate the legs. Will really give it the Morrowind feel that they have been influenced by their environment.

Ribtibs
Ribtibs's picture
  Day 2 Update, I will work

Day 2 Update, I will work on the legs and waist tomorrow and then get to making this game rez.

Dragomir
Dragomir's picture
Contributor
This is looking absolutely

This is looking absolutely gorgeous! I love every tiny bit of it. One thing I'd slightly change, although very slightly, is the thickness of the plates. They could be slightly thinner, so that the armour looks more like a bug shell, and less like tank plating :P especially the waste plates and groin protector look really thick. I know it's good to have armours unrealistically thick so that they have more punch to their looks, but I feel that is just a tad too much. Otherwise - I'm really in love with this. Can't wait to see more!

Tajnarasha
Tajnarasha's picture
Big improvement! I love the

Big improvement! I love the added detail with the little spirals. I'd extend the scarab legs further out so they wrap around the wearer a little more - the length should almost bring them to the sides of the armor. 

The helmet ''rim'' should be thinner to the sides and thicker at the front and back of the head. After seeing it from multiple angles and comparing it with Drago's concept the bottom half of the mask should also definitely be longer near the mouth. See comparison;

MrAryon
MrAryon's picture
This is by far my favorite

This is by far my favorite armor that I have seen yet, Dragomir's drawings coming to life at record pace!! I have a suggestion that could be taken with a grain of salt: What if there were multiple types of ebony helmets? One for each of the great houses......that would obviously be more work but I think it would be a really cool addition that would add even more diversity to an already awesome armor design

Dragomir
Dragomir's picture
Contributor
We already decided to do an

We already decided to do an Armun-An variant of the Ebony as well :P Vedam Dren needs some love too

Sechrima
Sechrima's picture
Dragomir wrote: We already

Dragomir wrote:

We already decided to do an Armun-An variant of the Ebony as well :P Vedam Dren needs some love too

Yeah, it wouldn't suffice just to make a different helmet, since the Daedric lettering all over the armour shows that this is meant for Great House Redoran specifically.

no1
no1's picture
dont nit pick guys be happy

dont nit pick guys be happy it beeing made

i can only say i love it  

DavidS
DavidS's picture
Nobody is nitpicking o,O

Nobody is nitpicking o,O Ribtibs is obviously very good at what he does, so having a supportive discussion and bringing new ideas to the table only shows respect for his skills and progress for Skywind, even if not nearly all the ideas can make it in. If Ribtibs (or any other artist) feel hassled by the input he just needs to say it. This ain`t a job after all.

That said, I really like a detail on the bracers: The top plate/scale has a indentation/ridge that reminds me of fluted armour and I wondered if this can be applied to other parts of the armor? ( http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/img-thing?.out=jpg&size=l&tid=17... fluted essentially means that it has these somewhat ornamental ridges wich help to highten the armours protection against sword strikes.).

Ribtibs
Ribtibs's picture
As far as the "nitpicking"

As far as the "nitpicking" comment: People can nitpick all they want, and I will read and consider every design comment. At the end of the day, I will make what I feel is the best decision with the input of the powers that be. 

Anyway: Sculpt is close enough to done that I can just retop and texture this thing. Enjoy! Any final changes before I move onto the next step?

Twisted Logic
Twisted Logic's picture
My only comment is that it's
My only comment is that it's absolutely beautiful!
Sechrima
Sechrima's picture
It looks amazing. The only

It looks amazing.

The only thing I would maybe change is the Daedric lettering. Those engraved Rs are a little thick. I think the engraved effect would look better if they were a bit thinner.

Other than that, this is great and I can't wait to see it textured.

LASentry
LASentry's picture
Donor
Yeah dude, well done, that

Yeah dude, well done, that looks great! I like the new cloth cover style that we're using, it fits very well :P

Eldroth
Eldroth's picture
It looks better than the Art,

It looks better than the Art, the way you have chosen to model the skirt's part is a way far better than the usual one which looks like like tons of other armor, it's very good taste ! 

Ravanna
Ravanna's picture
Contributor
Donor
fantastic! Attention to

fantastic!
Attention to detail very good, i see u sculpted some buckles, i should try that more often its probably a more efficient use of time.

2 notes:

1. we may move the skirt up a bit as its sitting a bit low for the bones to skin

2. the folds on the cloth behind the head, are u gonna sharpen them up?

So we're pretty done with the hi poly then :) ?

Sipso
Sipso's picture
It looks amazing. I have only

It looks amazing. I have only one "but". The calf part of the armor seem to be kinda out of proportions. The chest armor is buffed up and the calf (and as it seems the thigh part as well under that crotch cover) seem to be a bit to thin.

Rest is absolutely great.

grumpycat
grumpycat's picture
Gungnam, thats good! A work

Gungnam, thats good! A work of art to be sure.

Ribtibs
Ribtibs's picture
I was feeling the same way

I was feeling the same way Rav, I have already moved the skirt after coming back and looking at it again, and I can sharpen up the flods really quickly. As long as Drago is happy with it after that then yes, the high poly will be done.

Tajnarasha
Tajnarasha's picture
Love it, maybe flatten out

Love it, maybe flatten out the scarab on the back of the armor though? As it is now it seems like there would be a lot of unnecessary weight on the wearer's back. Maybe the pattern could be engraved into the metal instead as it currently looks like it would be a very difficult armor to maneuver in due to counter-balance. 

Zimnel
Zimnel's picture
Excellent modeling work here,

Excellent modeling work here, Rib. I loved Drago's art and I loved what you did.

Any house Redoran member will be proud wearing this armour. 

Dragomir
Dragomir's picture
Contributor
This is absolutely gorgeous!

This is absolutely gorgeous! I was about to suggest moving the skirt up a bit, but I see this problem has already been adressed ;)

I also love how you added more segments to the lower leg, would definetly make it easier to put on - however, I don't think each strap needs a buckle. I imagine it would just be one strap going through all the segments and buckled up on the outside of the leg. Maybe some small round fitting on it would make it both look more interesting, and protect from being cut through. Straps on the hip-belt are a really nice touch though.

There is another problem, but probably not hard to solve at all. In the low poly you need to take into account that the helmet has to be removable, and I'd really like the scarf to stay on if the user has it taken off (after all, Bolvyn Venim will have it off the whole time and will only put it on when we challeng him on the Vivec's Arena). Telling this, because right now it seems like the scarf is solidly attached to the helmet ;) I do like however that you added a part in the helmet that goes under the chin. Gives it more protection (both from ash and blows) and flows nicely.

Other than that, I'm absolutely stunned. Seeing my idea being put to life like that is just amazing. It will look even cooler with Bolvyn's daedric greatsword put on the back of it :D

About the back scarab being bulk - I like it that way. Doesn't seem like it would put too much weight on the character if we consider it's hollow inside ;) It was a quite popular way of protecting your back in the east in 17th Century, putting something "buckler" shaped in the middle of your back. The dome shape is much stronger than flat you see, even if made of the same amount of metal and is thinner - distributes force much better.

Jobe wan kenobi
Jobe wan kenobi's picture
Wow this armour looks

Wow this armour looks absolutely amazing. I can see this being my favourite set of armour to wear easily. Keep up the good work!

Thermocrius
Thermocrius's picture
Contributor
No complaints here. I really

No complaints here. I really like the boots.

timteam88
timteam88's picture
I'll try make my own vision

I'll try make my own vision tomorrow. With plasticine :D

SikSikSikki
SikSikSikki's picture
This armor is meant to be

This armor is meant to be Redoran styled ebony, and their symbol is the Scarab/shalk, not crabs.

timteam88
timteam88's picture
You destroyed my dreams...

You destroyed my dreams...

SikSikSikki
SikSikSikki's picture
If it's any consolation, I

If it's any consolation, I still love you unconditionally <3

VileGecko
VileGecko's picture
The armor is beyond being

The armor is beyond being great. The only issue that hasn't been adressed yet is the roundell on the waist. In my opinion it protrudes too far and it looks somewhat raw. I suggest you could flatten it a bit or insert it deeper inside and maybe add another rim around the violet part (is that a gem?).

stijmunkey
stijmunkey's picture
Contributor
Donor
Everything here has the
Everything here has the stijmunkey seal of approval, its bloody perfect! Redoran ftw!
tetramir
tetramir's picture
It is truly amazing, the best

It is truly amazing, the best armor so far if you ask me, but I still have a tiny problem with it, the leg seem too short, and the torso too long, maybe it's the belt that is too low, maybe if you raised the belt and the "skirt" it may look better, let's not forget that legs are almost 2/3 of our body!

You managed to make it 100x better than dragomir's design, which is bloody epic!

Sechrima
Sechrima's picture
Yes, it is actually a little

Yes, it is actually a little top-heavy at the moment. That should definitely be remedied before texturing begins.

Dragomir
Dragomir's picture
Contributor
tetramir wrote:You managed to

tetramir wrote:

You managed to make it 100x better than dragomir's design, which is bloody epic!

:(

TWarrior
TWarrior's picture
Dragomir wrote: tetramir

Dragomir wrote:

tetramir wrote:

:(

aww, don't cry ;D you did a great job in doing the general design and ribtips did an awesome realization of it. Skywind is really coming along nicely! as a long time lurker and a total noob in 2d and 3d design i admire both of your works!

Ribtibs
Ribtibs's picture
You and I both know that we

You and I both know that we both had a hand in this. We enhance each other's work :P

Also, just wanted to toss this up here so you know it exists:

Ravanna
Ravanna's picture
Contributor
Donor
its alive!

its alive!

TWarrior
TWarrior's picture
AWESOME!! CAPSLOCK!!

AWESOME!! CAPSLOCK!!

Ribtibs
Ribtibs's picture
Spent the day baking out

Spent the day baking out maps, retopoing, and setting up UV's. Now that the technical stuff is in order I can finally paint @.@. Today was... ugh... lol... Let's just say im not a techy... haha!

Here is the model baked down with Normal and AO, I also baked a cavity map, and I need to bake a point light map. The model is about 12k tris with a 2k texture resolution. 

Next step: Diffuse painting and Spec Map! :D

cire992
cire992's picture
Oh man, I can't wait to see

Oh man, I can't wait to see this paint.

Dragomir
Dragomir's picture
Contributor
I'm so excited to see the

I'm so excited to see the colours now :D Put this stuff in the new Dev video! It's worth it!

johnnybgoode
johnnybgoode's picture
this looks really good

this looks really good mate.

I'm trying to understand the different maps at the moment.

specular map - how shiny something is

normal map - makes it look like high poly

diffuse map - color

but what purpose has the uv map?

TWarrior
TWarrior's picture
i think it is how

i think it is how "volumetric" or "3d-like" a texture can look

Pages

Topic locked