30 posts / 0 new
Last post
qwertyasdfgh
qwertyasdfgh's picture
[HUB] Creatures

Introduction

Currently Morroblivion mostly uses converted Morrowind creatures, but there are some issues with this approach:

• Skeletons and animations weren't made for Oblivion engine, which means creatuers don't have full set of necessary animations. There are enough to get by, but some more rare ones are missing - for example, animations for getting up after knockback (Morrowind didn't support knockbacks at all).
  • Another issue with animations - some of them are glitchy. I've noticed some creatures to play moving animations, but stay in place, others were unable to attack, etc.
  • Let's face it, some Morrowind models are still ugly, even with more polys and higher res textures.

A possible solution to these problems will be rigging creatures to Oblivion skeletons and use its animations. Naturally, this will not work for all creatures (because of vast anatomical differences), but for some it will.

Downloads

Edited by: qwertyasdfgh on 03/15/2014 - 05:19
Acechadora
Acechadora's picture
Wow that is a scary hunger,

Wow that is a scary hunger, love it, really good work there and good idea!

qwertyasdfgh
qwertyasdfgh's picture
Thanks!  I've added a

Thanks! 

I've added a download link for Hunger in the first post.

EnvyDeveloper
EnvyDeveloper's picture
Contributor
Can you do this with the

Can you do this with the fabricants? :)

qwertyasdfgh
qwertyasdfgh's picture
Can you do this with the

Can you do this with the fabricants?

Unfortunately, can't think of any Oblivion\SI creature with even remotely close skeleton or animations.

However I do have a creature in the works, which is not in Morroblivion.

qwertyasdfgh
qwertyasdfgh's picture
Here it is: Morrowind-style

Here it is: Morrowind-style Lich

(Rigged to Oblivion Lich skeleton)
Below is the picture of Morrowind Lich for reference

Brainslasher
Brainslasher's picture
Contributor
That looks amazing.

That looks amazing.

qwertyasdfgh
qwertyasdfgh's picture
A little bit of good news: I

A little bit of good news: I was able to fix the most glaring issues with converted Hulking Fabricant.

If anyone wants to take the task of placing them ingame - be my guest.

Brainslasher
Brainslasher's picture
Contributor
That's brilliant news! I'd

That's brilliant news! I'd love to do it. Looking at the Morrowind CS tells me that the Hulking Fabricant is only used 14 times in the game. Though it's probably best if I set up the creatures with the correct model isn't it?

qwertyasdfgh
qwertyasdfgh's picture
Here's a fix for Alit attack

Here's a fix for Alit attack animation - now they can actually deal damage.

AttachmentSize
Alit_attack_fix.7z3.05 KB
mr_witchhunter
mr_witchhunter's picture
Oh,  fix for Alit! Brilliant!

Oh,  fix for Alit! Brilliant! =D

qwertyasdfgh
qwertyasdfgh's picture
New download: Liches (I also

New download: Liches
(I also changed a couple of undead bosses in Morrowind into Lich form)

Ingame pictures:

Download

asteriasennall
asteriasennall's picture
Those look amazing, Qwerty! I

Those look amazing, Qwerty! I just want to give you a hug!

I've always preferred skeletal liches and those in-game shots you posted look great!

You're awesome!! Thanks for sharing!

Best regards,

Jess

qwertyasdfgh
qwertyasdfgh's picture
New download: Hulking

New download: Hulking Fabricants

With help from Brainslasher, all Hulking Fabricants are now placed ingame.

Link

roxon_55
roxon_55's picture
Contributor
http://youtu.be/zv6dfbzwECU L

http://youtu.be/zv6dfbzwECU

Link for Fabricant Looks Good running Around in Game, this 1 could have Escaped turned Up Early not on Activation..

This 1 is not  in a Cell it is In the Worldspace, in My Load Order 050039EF

Well Done  qwertyasdfgh

Thanks

Brainslasher
Brainslasher's picture
Contributor
I created and placed

I created and placed placeholders for the verminous fabricants and Centurion Archers. The verminous fabricants are based on the Clannfear but with fabricant sounds, stats and loot. Centurion archers are based on the normal Centurion Spheres. I also recreated the advanced Steam Centurion which is basically finished in this state because the Tribunal version simply uses the same model as the normal Steam Centurion, it is only scaled up. Additionally I made a Steam Centurion-based Imperfect, scaled up but with the same stats otherwise. Now the battle between Dwemer creatures and fabricants works as well, I added the necessary scripting. So, if the verminous fabricants and centurion archers ever get converted, all that would have to be done is to replace the skeleton and model. I also realized that having the Hulking Fabricants use the Clannfear combat style, they never did any combat at all, so that's fixed now too.

AttachmentSize
TribunalCreatures.esp17.91 KB
roxon_55
roxon_55's picture
Contributor
Ok you run

Ok you run TribunalCreatures.esp you don't run morro_fabricant01.esp

Brainslasher
Brainslasher's picture
Contributor
That's right, it's based on

That's right, it's based on that one. You will however still need the assets.

qwertyasdfgh
qwertyasdfgh's picture
Thanks Unfortunately, I have

Unfortunately, I have no ETA on Verminous Fabricant conversion - for some reason Bip01 bone in its skeleton is rotated, which screws up all animations.

For Imperfect I'm thinking of just rigging it to Ogre - animations are similar enough.

Haven't even looked at Centurion Archers yet.

P.S. Why not use Hulking Fabricant model for both fabricant types for now? I mean, it's better than Clannfear anyway.

Brainslasher
Brainslasher's picture
Contributor
Rigging the Imperfect to an

Rigging the Imperfect to an Orgre seems fine to me. The toughest part about it is the "waking up" thing it does but creating a completely new creature that's on screen less than 5 minutes does seem like too much effort wasted. 

Centurion Archers are weird anyway. I'm not sure how they would work in Oblivion either way. Projectiles could be handled by giving them invisible bows, can creatures shoot projectiles without weapons in Oblivion? Maybe there's a way to alter the normal Sphere's model and let them use bows?

And yes, having both creatures with the Hulking Fabricant model seems like the best way to go for now. One thing though: Their footsteps don't make any sounds unfortunately. 

And you're doing some great work, if I knew how to correctly convert animated meshes with Blender I would but they always come out screwed up, like a weird mutated science project. For example cogs that don't just rotate normally after converting them but also tilt during animations. Or a fan that just stops its animation half way through and when it does rotate it does so not very smoothly.

Edit: Here's the version that has verminous Fabricants use the Hulking models.

AttachmentSize
TribunalCreatures_0.esp17.35 KB
qwertyasdfgh
qwertyasdfgh's picture
Rigging the Imperfect to an

Rigging the Imperfect to an Ogre seems fine to me.

Done it :D

Well, not 'done' really - still a lot of tweaking to do so it doesn't deform in weird places, but the foundation is there.

The toughest part about it is the "waking up" thing it does but creating a completely new creature that's on screen less than 5 minutes does seem like too much effort wasted. 

He has "waking up" sequence? Heh, shows how well I remember Tribunal :)
But yeah, I don't feel like doing new animations - he'll just be awakened already when we get there.
On the bright side, I can make him break into individual pieces when killed :)

Centurion Archers are weird anyway. I'm not sure how they would work in Oblivion either way. Projectiles could be handled by giving them invisible bows, can creatures shoot projectiles without weapons in Oblivion? Maybe there's a way to alter the normal Sphere's model and let them use bows?

Yes, creatures can use bows (or any kind of weapon), but only with the appropriate set of animations for this weapon type + special bones in the skeleton to attach weapons.

One thing though: Their footsteps don't make any sounds unfortunately.

This is controlled through animation file. Relatively easy to add (just text keys), but needs precise timing in milliseconds so the sound plays when legs actually hit the ground.

And you're doing some great work, if I knew how to correctly convert animated meshes with Blender I would but they always come out screwed up, like a weird mutated science project. For example cogs that don't just rotate normally after converting them but also tilt during animations. Or a fan that just stops its animation half way through and when it does rotate it does so not very smoothly.

Doing animated statics is not as hard as creatures - you need to export geometry and animation separately, then combine in NifSkope. I've done it for dragonflies in Bitter Coast.
I also remember animating the dwemer fans, but probably lost the files somewhere. Luckily, simple rotation animation is not hard to do.
Do you maybe have a list if nifs that needs to be animated (and what animation to play)?

Brainslasher
Brainslasher's picture
Contributor
  Oh, wow that looks so

Oh, wow that looks so incredibly cool! And you can even make him fall into pieces? Are you some kind of wizard? :D

And, yes I can make a list of files that are not animated yet. There are quite a few though, some even with SFX, like smoke or sparks. And I've tried exporting the animations several ways, none of which work right...Sometimes nifskope can't even find the right nodes even though it came from the same file. Most of the animations are just rotations though so if you say it's easy to add that from scrach, maybe it's better to just do them them that way. 

Here's the list:

I highlighted objects that are important to the plot or advancement through the level in such a way that not animating them would make it necessary to use cheats or make it impossible to implement an important part of the level in the Oblivion engine. All of the models can be found in the Morrowind directory /meshes/i in the Tribunal.bsa file. Their names in the Oblivion CS are the same as their filenames only they start with 0 and the underline is a U.

qwertyasdfgh
qwertyasdfgh's picture
Thanks. I'll create a new

Thanks. I'll create a new thread once I make some progress on these.

qwertyasdfgh
qwertyasdfgh's picture
I have uploaded a new version

I have uploaded a new version of Tribunal creatures with the following changes:
- Added Imperfect, rigged to slightly modified ogre skeleton
- Added collision box to Hulking Fabricant. This isn't proper Havok, just enough to make them lootable.
- Added sound to Hulking Fabricant footsteps

Download

Brainslasher
Brainslasher's picture
Contributor
Wow, this is perfect. And his

Wow, this is perfect. And his leg even comes off when he dies! 

qwertyasdfgh
qwertyasdfgh's picture
Yeah, it does This could be

Yeah, it does :)
This could be done with any joint really, by removing the ragdoll constraint from the skeleton.

Brainslasher
Brainslasher's picture
Contributor
Based on your latest version

Based on your latest version I added a few things. The dwemer creatures now don't bleed anymore, they emit sparks. I also added the script to the door in the Dome of the Imperfect which won't let you pass until he's dead.

AttachmentSize
TribunalCreatures_1.esp21.3 KB
abibliboop
abibliboop's picture
I'm not seeing a valid link

I'm not seeing a valid link for the resources (though the esp file works fine). Wanted to know if it was still hosted somewhere, or if I could get a download. I'm eagerly looking forward to the great work here (love the screenshots I've seen so far and sounds awesome for the rest I haven't).

qwertyasdfgh
qwertyasdfgh's picture
Everything from this topic is

Everything from this topic is merged in the current master, so there isn't anything to download at the time.

roxon_55
roxon_55's picture
Contributor
All  Tribunal Creatures

All  Tribunal Creatures should be in V063 not shore on Liches ,should not need  .esp for Tribunal Creatures.