6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Dave B
Dave B's picture
Contributor
Morrowind_ob.esm
Let me start by saying that I have never played Morrowind. My experience with Morrowind was... unfortunate. I and a friend had been looking forward to it for months, and I had prerelease screenshots set as the wallpaper of my desktop. When it came out, I quickly realized that it had Keyboard controlled movement, which I had never been able to manage, and worse, was 1st person perspective. I cannot play in 1st person. I get disoriented and confused and lost. I think I made it off the ship, but not to where Morrowind actually gave you the option to change modes, so I never even saw that 3rd person was available... Fast forward about 8 years; I have obviously managed Keyboard movement, and sometimes even zoom in to 1st person in Oblivion... Other games are now always going on about how much the loved Morrowind, and I had downloaded a bunch of Oblivion mods that all made references to things in Morrowind. I finally got tired of not having a clue as to what any of these references were. Knowing that "Vivic is a city in Morrowind" is not the same as being there and seeing it. NOTHING could have described Ald-Rhun or Vivic, or the Ghostfence or... Morroblivion seemed to be perfect for me, I could take my existing Character into a new land without having to learn the subtlties of a whole "new" (10 year old) game. I could poke around, see what all the fuss was about, then get on with my Oblivion life... I fell in love with Morrowind while playing the Morrowind Main Quest posted on Nexus by oblivion44. It was buggy to say the least, but it gave me a feel for what Morrowind was all about. And I fell in love with Morrowind. I immediately lured a couple of others into trying it, including one Extraordinary Oblivion modder who is passionate about Morrowind. When he and I started working loosely together, it Quickly became apparent to me that there were several inherent problems that desperately need to be addressed. He and I seemed to be having two TOTALLY different experiences playing the same game. He kept reporting "bugs" that I did not see, and sent me a mod of "fixes" that broke things I had not been having any problem with. When I opened mods to start poking around, I was confronted with Hundreds of CS Errors stemming from Morrowind_ob.esm, drowning out anything from the mod. And I knew something had to be done. The main problem I see with "fixes" such as David Wolf's Bug Fix mod, or the Armors Restored mod, is that they all, by definition, edit NPC's. However, if CoolShady & Nick V come along with a mod that also edits thoes same NPC's, only one mod can win, and either the NPC is naked, or doesn't know what you'r talking about when you want to ride a silt strider. What I am in the process of doing, is editing the main Morrowind_ob.esm file itself. 1. Clean up all the CS Errors so that it loads clean 2. Address the main Faction problem so that half the NPC's in Morrowind aren't fighting the other half 3. Redirect objects with missing meshes to alternates or somethng neutral 4. Redirect any/all armor possible to equivalents from Vvardenfell Imports, which will be a required download 5. Redirect any/all clothing that causes problems to vanilla Oblivion clothing 6. Update NPC Merchants so that they will trade 7. Apply several fixes such as water level 8. Update whatever I can from David Wolf's Bug Fix Mod Once this is accomplished, the new Morrowind_ob.esm can function as a true master again, where any mod can use it without fear of naked NPC's, etc. After that is accomplished, I plan on assembling a second ESM Master file for creatures and placement. I had gotten through #4 and was starting on #5 when my computer crashed. I am now on backup and typing this message instead of modding...
skywocker500
skywocker500's picture
Great
Thats Great another person is always great. :)
DavidWolf
DavidWolf's picture
Well I just read you PM and
Well I just read you PM and let me say that your idea is great. My fix, for lack of a better term, is more of a redecoration that will, in fact, fix seamless faces,clothing, armor, add stables, expand pathgrids, add new ai packages, add new stables, replace old things with new things from Oblivion such as beds, chairs, benchs, tables, etc... all this has been pretty much done in Seydan Neen, Balmora and Pelagiad, also some little retouches in Fort Moonmoth, Ebonheart and some places in the South of Vvardenfell. If you have the knowledge to do this absolute repair of the Master File, go ahead! And yes, I saw those errors in the CS, but what I was going to do? Throw more than 3 months of work just because of that? Of course not, but when I try to split the groups into region tasks / level tasks for example : You go to rerpair the Dwemer Ruins in the West Gash Region, you can do the Tombs in Solstheim, and you... blah blah blah. No one did anything and let me alone, because they didnt have the time or all their grandparents extrangely enough sudenly died! Well... that was when I realize that I needed to work on this alone, and let anyone else take their chances, also alone... we are in fact working in our own shit, trying to make it compatible so maybe we can merge it togheter, that was my idea as well, to have several plugins from several modders and collaboration and then merge them into one masterpiece called "Morroblivion Total Fix". The offer still open. Truth is, Morroblivion is a Materpiece itself, but it has some letdowns to be honest, and in our current time we can do better than Galadrielle did, I mean he setup the base for it, we have this one chance to finish his outstanding work and give Morroblivion a new glowing face, a true rebirth of The Elder Scrolls III : Morrowind! We all love the games David Budreck, we all have passion for it, this is why we're here... and you should try to play Morrowind, specially now that it can be modded to the point of complete hidef orgasm, so you should give it a try, and have also a good reason to love Morrowind even more. Seeya and welcome to the Forums, btw ;)
Dave B
Dave B's picture
Contributor
Not Alone
I think the best thing I could possibly say at this point is, "You are no longer alone."
Hashmi1
Hashmi1's picture
Contributor
I always thought that naked
David Budreck wrote:

The main problem I see with "fixes" such as David Wolf's Bug Fix mod, or the Armors Restored mod, is that they all, by definition, edit NPC's. However, if CoolShady & Nick V come along with a mod that also edits thoes same NPC's, only one mod can win, and either the NPC is naked, or doesn't know what you'r talking about when you want to ride a silt strider.

I always thought that naked NPC's was caused by using a mod made on 'an alternate conversion' (different version of master file due to messing with converter inis) rather than due to two mods that change different aspects of the same NPC.
Dave B
Dave B's picture
Contributor
My understanding is that the
My understanding is that the last mod to touch the NPC wins. But, in any case, my plan will have the same effect. Editing the NPC's at the Master Level, and providing a common base that we all could work on will go a long way toward unifying this project. I have already had a couple experiences where other modders reported a totally different game experience than I did. They experienced problems and bugs that I simply did not see in my version of the game. That is when it became obvious to me that Morroblivion needs some common ground. Troubleshooting a bug that does not occur in my "build" of Morroblivion would be... challenging at best.