8 posts / 0 new
Last post
HeWhoWatches
HeWhoWatches's picture
Thanks, installation on Linux, plus a question...

Hi! This is my first day of using Morroblivion and I wanted to stop by and say thanks, post a bit of info for other Linux users, and ask a (probably silly) question...

Ok, so firstly a very big well done and thanks - this mod is a fantastic idea and despite the tricky install I'm a bit stunned that it even works (let alone works as well as it does).

Second bit is gonne be boring to most people, just really posting it in case there are any other Linux users out there who might find it useful (please feel free to skip this bit, I'll put the writing in blue so you know when to stop ignoring the rambling!). Here we go:

1. Morrowind and Oblivion already installed via Steam (Bethesda Pack, contains all addons) and tested ok.

2. Installed Unofficial patches:
UnofficialOblivionPatchv3.2.0Installer.exe
UnofficialShiveringIslesPatchv140Installer.exe

3. Installed Elys Silent voice and OBSE:
obse_0020.zip
OBSE_Elys_Universal_Silent_Voice_v093.zip

4. Linux is case sensitive (meshes != Meshes), so following some useful advise here...
http://sites.google.com/site/johnmoonsugar/Home/wine/install...

Did this in three parts:

A. VvardenFell Imports:

Vvardenfell_Imports_1.7z
VVardenfell_Imports_2.7z
Vvardenfell_Imports_Part_3-28245.7z
Vvardenfell_Imports_Addon.7z
Vvardenfell_Imports_Patch_1-28245.7z
Vvardenfell_Imports_Patch_2-28245.7z
Vvardenfell_Imports_Patch_3-28245.7z

With the exception of patch 2, all of these had to be extracted, then re-compressed so that the "top level" of the compressed file format was "Data".

They were then all extracted to one "Data" folder under C:\Morroblivion using PeaZip to avoid case sensitivity issues.

Complete "Data" archive then extracted to the folder:
c:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\oblivion

B. Morroblivion:

Files all extracted to one "Data" folder under C:\Morroblivion using PeaZip in the order:
Morroblivon Complete Installation Part 1.rar
Morroblivon Complete Installation Part 2.rar
Morroblivon Complete Installation Part 3.rar
Additional Support Files 1.rar 
Additional Support Files 2.rar

Then added following files (in roughly this order):
Bloodmoon Werewolf Body.rar    
Henshu Lute Music.rar
MorrowOblivion_World Transport v2.rar

C. Other files:

HGEC_version-36483-1.zip
Eloth Misc Items & Ingredients.rar
Eloth's_Visual_Overhaul_v1.0_Repack.rar

5. .NET 4 does not work under WINE, so I made a little workaround:

1. Make a new folder under ~/.wine/drive_c
e.g. /home/rob/.wine/drive_c/Morroblivion

2. Copy MorroblivionInstaller.exe to this folder

3. Download winetricks script and install mono by running:
sh winetricks mono28

4. In terminal, cd to the new folder, e.g.
cd /home/rob/.wine/drive_c/Morroblivion

5. Run the following:
wine c:\\Program\ Files\\Mono-2.8.2\\bin\\mono.exe MorroblivionInstaller.exe

You can now complete the installer.

6. Using Oblivion Mod Manager, checked the load order - looks good.

Ok like I said, boring bit done, I've only played a few minutes but it all looks good to me ;)
Only encountered a few very minor teething troubles:

1. A quest appears randomly when you first go through the process of moving between the boat and Scyda Neen proper:
The Barbarian and the Book
This appears to be a bug and is mentioned in a bug report already, so will wait for a fix ;)
See also: http://morroblivion.com/the-barbarian-and-the-book

2. Various candles and lanterns were hovering at a 90 degree angle
Resolved this by re-applying the Additional Support Files 2.rar as per this post:
http://morroblivion.com/forums/morroblivion/mods/1722

3. Appears as though one single texture (only one I have found so far) is missing.
The "pouches" on the back of the guard are shown in purple, implying a missing texture.
If I've somehow missed a file somewhere I could simply drop it in the correct folder - unfortunately I don't know which file is missing...

So my question is:

Does anyone know which texture file is used here so I can check whether I've been daft and "mislaid" it?

Clint
Clint's picture
Linux, dude!
Awesome work getting Oblivion and all the mods running in Linux! I use to also run Oblivion along with a ton of mods in Linux. Now I that I'm on the Mac, I run a "ported'' Oblivion, using a Cider wrapper. It's very similar to running Oblivion through Wine, except you don't run into potential problems when you upgrade or downgrade Wine. A couple questions though for us thinking about installing and running Oblivion in Linux/Mac: This was all done through WINE right? If so, what Wine version? And what distro and version are you using? Yeah, I also had a few missing textures when Oblivion was running under Wine. Which is funny, because I extracted the textures using 7zip under Wine. I hope you get that texture problem fixed.
HeWhoWatches
HeWhoWatches's picture
Heh, thanks! Ok I've just

Heh, thanks! :D

Ok I've just finished an overnight shift so it's highly possible I will make very little sense...

• Running Fedora 15 64bit with Gnome 3
  • Wine version will be the current 32bit version in the Fedora repo, I think it's 1.3.21 - seems to work pretty well unless you alt+tab out of fullscreen, then the mouse cursor goes a bit crazy. That may be due to the recent work they've been doing with mousewarping and xinput2 to make games like Mass Effect 1/2 work though (so is a good thing on the whole).
  • I concur that 7-zip seems to be the better tool for extracting the archives having given it a go yesterday... Peazip is prettier but 7-zip just feels more... solid for some reason.
  • Everything done through wine, no dual booting, but probably using winetricks to get install some bits. I might add a bit more detail when I've had a sleep and can get on my other machine... ;)
  • I had a brief look at some of the NIF files with the viewer that comes with Oblivion mod manager, possibly it's one of the Vvardenfell Imports Imperial Legion meshes but I haven't tracked it down yet...
  • Have also been looking at doing some screencasts but finding this is a bit tricky as I like to use glc but because Oblivion is installed under Steam it doesn't like it. RecordMyDesktop crashes Gnome Shell a bit right now so that's out, and the built in screencast tool in Gnome just isn't configurable so it isn't reliable enough... Just found some more info here so will keep trying and feedback if I get it working.
Clint
Clint's picture
Yup, that's another thing I
Yup, that's another thing I had a lot of trouble with. I couldn't find a good Linux screencast program.
HeWhoWatches
HeWhoWatches's picture
In case it's of any use, I've

In case it's of any use, I've detailed the process of getting the glc screen recorder working here. On that page towards the bottom there's also a (not very good) test video of Morrobilivon running under Linux that I created as part of my investigations - nothing special, but it proves it can be done! ;)

Edit: Have added the webm video as embedded HTML 5 for those with shiny new browsers...

HeWhoWatches
HeWhoWatches's picture
Fixed!

Well, after much investigation I found (and fixed) the texture problem! First I loaded up the Construction Set and confirmed which nif file was being used, then I used Nifskope to load the nif in question...

• Dodgy file was from Vvardenfell Imports, under: meshes\vvardenfellarmormod\morrowind imperial armor\cuirass.nif
  • The texture should have been set to: textures\vvardenfellarmormod\blanket textures\leather.dds
  • Instead it was set to: c:\documents and settings\gravy boat\my documents\oblivion mods\various items\leather.dds
  • Compared against the cuirassf.nif file to get the right texture

If anyone else has had this problem, you can get the fixed nif file here.

Clint
Clint's picture
Awesome! Good work!

Awesome! Good work!

HeWhoWatches
HeWhoWatches's picture
Thanks! I was surprised that

Thanks! I was surprised that the Construction Set and windows version of nifskope worked under WINE... now I'm almost tempted to do a bit of modding... wonder if the NIF importer for Blender is any good?

As a side note, I recently reinstalled everything the 'proper' way using Wyre Bash. I've put together a guide for Linux users (well, Fedora 'cause that's what I use, but pretty sure it'll work much the same for Ubuntu etc.).

If anyone needs it, it's here.

I've been sure to point out that it isn't a replacement for the proper instructions and it's only to give other Linux users a helping hand with some stuff that takes a while to figure out.