33 posts / 0 new
Last post
OpenMW
OpenMW's picture
OpenMW (Open source Morrowind)

Hey everyone,

I thought you might be interested in a project that also seeks to preserve and extend Morrowind. OpenMW is a new game engine for the role playing game Morrowind. It is open source, cross platform (currently supporting OS X, Linux, and Windows), and written in pure c++. We are designing an engine that runs faster and is vastly more modifiable. We want to preserve Morrowind and provide modders with a better engine and tool kit for creating their works.  While Bethesda will not release Morrowind's formulas to us, they encourage our project and we in turn actively encourage our users to purchase Morrowind on Steam. So don't worry; we're not out to destroy Bethesda Softworks.

Primary Goal: Our initial goal is to create a functioning engine for playing Morrowind, Tribunal, Bloodmoon, and all user created mods. This will be version 1.0 of OpenMW and it is our team's most important goal. We are past the halfway point to 1.0.

Future Goals ( post 1.0 ):
Allow much greater modability: change game rules, create new spell effects, etc through advanced scripting.
Fix system design bugs, like the “dirty” GMST entries in mods, and the savegame “doubling” problem.
Continue improving performance
Improve the interface and journal systems.
(Possibly) Improve game mechanics, physics, combat and AI.
(Possibly) Support multiplayer at some point.
(Possibly) Improve graphics to use more modern hardware.
OpenMW is released under the GNU General Public License version 3, and all source code has been written completely from scratch. It is built on various other open source tools, most notably OGRE for graphics, and Bullet for collision (and possibly physics).

Development Status
OpenMW is in the intermediate stage. There is terrain, cell, and water rendering as well as collisions and animations. Some work has been done on playable elements. We are at the point where we can now begin implementing many skills, attributes, and abilities.

Official Youtube Channel

Official gallery

Official roadmap

What Technologies Does OpenMW Use?
OpenMW is built with various open source tools and libraries:
Programming language: C++
Graphics: OGRE3d
Physics: Bullet
Sound: OpenAL and Audiere
GUI: MyGUI
Input: OIS

The ESM/ESP and BSA loading code was written from scratch, but with much help from available community-generated documentation.

Likewise, the NIF (proprietary 3D mesh) loading code was written with the help of available online information. Special thanks to the NIFLA / NifTools gang!
(For an additional list of the technologies in use, see Development Environment Setup: Third-Party Libraries and Tools.)

How to Help
Join the official OpenMW forum and visit our #openmw IRC channel at FreeNode. Tell your friends about our project!Checking out our Issue Tracker and submitting a patch for a bug is a good way to get started. We are looking for individuals with the following skills or experience with.

C++
Qt
Ogre3d
Bullet physics library
Netimmerse/Gamebryo engine (especially Morrowind)
Bug hunting
Reverse engineering gameplay formulas

Where to Find Us:
OpenMW Homepage: Openmw.org
For New Developers: Openmw.org
Chat @freenode Freenode.net #openmw

Edited by: OpenMW on 07/03/2012 - 03:02
brutal7
brutal7's picture
Contributor
Thats interesting, but

Thats interesting, but Morrobliviskyrim is a project of bring morrowind and oblivion to the Skyrim engine not just polishing morrowind up. Though I wish you well, I think I am going to stick with morrobliviskyrim. Maybe in the future, if I see anything that looks greatly different than normal Morrowind in your project, I may try it. Also if you manage to update morrowinds graphics to modern standards I will praise you forever.

Clint
Clint's picture
Welcome
Hey, I remember checking out your guys' project years ago, sounds awesome! Wish you best of luck! Look forward to the day where I can play Morrowind natively on Mac or Linux and where the combat can be made better. I'm not sure how we can be of help, but if there is something we can help you out with, let us know :)
OpenMW
OpenMW's picture
It's no problem if you can't

It's no problem if you can't help out. We're just raising awareness of a somewhat related project.

We are taking the "if we build, the modders will come" approach. We think that modders from the Morrowind community (as well as the Oblivion and Skyrim communities) will like the of freedom our project offers. You could see radically different mods or total conversions coming from OpenMW.

The engine is based off of well known open source projects and libraries with ecosystems of open source and freeware utilities and users. So experienced developers could extend OpenMW's graphics (and combat) substantially. We use Ogre3d as our renderer. The neoaxis engine uses Ogre as well and here are some videos of what they've accomplished. http://www.neoaxis.com/neoaxis/videos

ironman12345
ironman12345's picture
I am impressed,that mountain

I am impressed,that mountain village video,looks a lot like Skyrim,with NPC`s added it would realy come to life.

If that vid is a demo of what can be done then morrowind done like that would be cool!.:)

brutal7
brutal7's picture
Contributor
Mods
Will current morrowind mods work with this
OpenMW
OpenMW's picture
The mountain village just

The mountain village just shows what's possible using the ogre3d renderer. So we'll have to wait and see what graphical niceties people develop.

The plan is to support all existing mods and the script extenders.

OpenMW
OpenMW's picture
July's update

Though there won’t be a new release for July, we've had some major improvements.

The new animation system has been merged into the main branch of the engine and is awaiting testing. jhooks1 and Chris’s work should prove a more effecient animation method and boost OpenMW’s frames per second.

Although OpenMW had animations for awhile, the old system did not use the built in animations system of Ogre3d (OpenMW's renderer). Instead OpenMW manually moved all NPC and creature bones. This was both inefficient and also caused some errors in creature animations. This was especially true for Bloodmoon’s werewolf animations which looked really bizarre. But now we're using Ogre3d and those problems should be behind us.

Chris also improved the handling of the nif file format which was a prerequisite to animating meshes, and anything else related to nifnodes, correctly.

scrawl spent a lot of time working on shaders this month. We employ shaders to render our skybox, water, terrain, and soft shadows. Scrawl refined the first two, resulting in marked visual improvements over the original Morrowind and also reduced the amount of code for our terrain implementation by 75%. THREE CHEERS FOR EFFICIENCY!!!

scrawl's main focus was the creation a new shader library called "shiny", which was also recently merged into the main branch. What does that mean for OpenMW? Well, until now we have been using the Nvidia CG toolkit. This toolkit works with DirectX and OpenGL on all graphics cards. However, only Nvidia cards get good performance with it (which is understandable since its developed by Nvidia). OpenMW needs both DirectX and OpenGL support because Radeon graphics cards (made by amd) lack quality OpenGL drivers. Otherwise we’d just write our shaders in OpenGL. To make matters worse, CG is closed source and available only for Linux, windows, OSX and not BSD.

To avoid using CG many game developers write all their shaders twice: in GLSL for OpenGL and in HLSL for DX or just ignore OpenGL and focus on DirectX. This duplication of work is obviously a waste of time. Scrawl's new shader library called “shiny” allows developers to write a shader once and then compile it as either GLSL or HLSL. A more elegant solution to the AMD graphics cards, will make the lives of developers easier, and allow for many beautiful new shaders in the future. But that’s not all, here’s scrawl detailing the new library’s design and features:
Quote:

- High-level layer on top of OGRE’s material system. It allows you to generate multiple techniques for all your materials from a set of high-level per-material properties.

- Several available Macros in shader source files. Just a few examples of the possibilities: binding OGRE auto constants, binding uniforms to material properties, foreach loops (repeat shader source a given number of times), retrieving per-material properties in an #if condition, automatic packing for vertex to fragment passthroughs. These macros allow you to generate even very complex shaders (for example the Ogre::Terrain shader) without assembling them in C++ code.

- Integrated preprocessor (no, I didn’t reinvent the wheel, I used boost::wave which turned out to be an excellent choice) that allows me to blend out macros that shouldn’t be in use because e.g. the shader permutation doesn’t need this specific feature

- User settings integration. They can be set by a C++ interface and retrieved through a macro in shader files.

- Automatic handling of shader permutations, i.e. shaders are shared between materials in a smart way.

- An optional “meta-language” (well, actually it’s just a small header with some conditional defines) that you may use to compile the same shader source for different target languages. If you don’t like it, you can still code in GLSL / CG etc separately. You can also switch between the languages at runtime.

- On-demand material and shader creation. It uses Ogre’s material listener to compile the shaders as soon as they are needed for rendering, and not earlier.

- Shader changes are fully dynamic and real-time. Changing a user setting will recompile all shaders affected by this setting when they are next needed.

- Serialization system that extends Ogre’s material script system, it uses Ogre’s script parser, but also adds some additional properties that are not available in Ogre’s material system.

- A concept called “Configuration” allowing you to create a different set of your shaders, doing the same thing except for some minor differences: the properties that are overridden by the active configuration. Possible uses for this are using simpler shaders (no shadows, no fog etc) when rendering for example realtime reflections or a minimap. You can easily switch between configurations by changing the active Ogre material scheme (for example on a viewport level).

- Fixed function support. You can globally enable or disable shaders at any time, and for texture units you can specify if they’re only needed for the shader-based path (e.g. normal maps) or if they should also be created in the fixed function path.

Since shiny is designed for the Ogre3d rendering engine, it may have a bright future beyond OpenMW. Huzzah for open source!
Take a look at the new water shader scrawl made using the “shiny” shader library.

http://wiki.openmw.org/index.php?title=Screenshots

If all that is not awesome enough, there’s more.

Zini, our fearless leader, finished up the potion usage task so that when drinking a potion the correct sound effect is played. As well as the magical effects drain and fortify. Additionally, zini refactored the action class and the code for dynmaic statistics. While working on refactoring he discovered many unnecessary “includes” in the source code. Don’t worry about what includes are, all you need to know is they cause slow downs in compile times. Many users complain that it takes forever to compile and build OpenMW. Removing these unnecessary “includes” improved build times by nearly half.

Corristo made sure that OpenMW still works for you OSX users out there. There were mac specific bugs that should now be resolved.

We also picked up some new developers. _greye finished his first task (making CreatureStats into a class) in a single day. Then he picked another one (maintenance in the item dropping code) and finished that in a short period of time. Both were very well done, so thank you _greye and welcome to the team!

nhydock, another new developer, has taken the camera control task (which is composed of four or five subtasks).

Reverse engineering formulas is going well with several close to completion (some things still need to checked and verified) thanks to the efforts Myckel, Lazaroth, Tarius, and Epsilon who are designing our formulas. It’s great work and we welcome them to the team. Reverse engineering formulas requires testing to see if they accurately describe Morrowind's behavior. Epsilon is developing scripts to speed up the testing phase exponentially. BrotherBrick is using his powerful server to calculate data points. We still need additional help on this front, so if you have an extra computer and want to run some tests that would be very useful.

RammS
RammS's picture
Keep up a good work, guys!

Keep up a good work, guys!

Sjors Boomschors
Sjors Boomschors's picture
Contributor
@OpenMW:

@OpenMW:
I Can’t wait for OpenMW to become somewhat playable, with working quests and stuff. I got v001 (27-05-2008) upto v016 (30-06-2012) on my pc.

Clint
Clint's picture
Did you just say for Mac? You
Did you just say for Mac? You just sold me :D Edit: Looking good guys, looking good! Thanks for keeping us up to date. When do you guys expect a version 1.0 release?
EnvyDeveloper
EnvyDeveloper's picture
If you guys can improve the
If you guys can improve the combat and AI, I'll be so happy. :)
OpenMW
OpenMW's picture
Thanks for the support

Thanks for the support everyone.

When do you guys expect a version 1.0 release?

We are hoping a year to a year and a half till it's really playable. We've come far since the start of the year and we still have five more months. 1.0 might be after that as we'll be doing a considerable amount of bug squashing and optimizations.

If you guys can improve the combat and AI, I'll be so happy.

The core OpenMW team is working just on compatibility and getting it to the 1.0 status. That said, OpenMW will allow developers and modders the power to change anything they want. So yes, I'm sure people are going to improve both of those things. I hope there are some wild modders out there who make it things like z-targetting from zelda, squad based combat, god of war/devil may cry style game play. We'll see how ambitious the modding community is.

OpenMW
OpenMW's picture
Thanks for the support

Thanks for the support everyone.

When do you guys expect a version 1.0 release?

We are hoping a year to a year and a half till it's really playable. We've come far since the start of the year and we still have five more months. 1.0 might be after that as we'll be doing a considerable amount of bug squashing and optimizations.

If you guys can improve the combat and AI, I'll be so happy.

The core OpenMW team is working just on compatibility and getting it to the 1.0 status. That said, OpenMW will allow developers and modders the power to change anything they want. So yes, I'm sure people are going to improve both of those things. I hope there are some wild modders out there who change the combat to be like z-targetting from zelda, or squad based combat, or god of war/devil may cry style game play. We'll see how ambitious the modding community is.

Sslaxx
Sslaxx's picture
0.17.0 has been released.

Noticed that they've released 0.17.0 the other day. http://openmw.org/2012/08/27/openmw-0-17-0-released/

RammS
RammS's picture
Water looks really cool

Water looks really cool

Mehh
Mehh's picture
Dat water!

Dat water!

OpenMW
OpenMW's picture
Version 0.18.0 Released.

The OpenMW team is proud to announce the release of version 0.18.0! Release packages for Ubuntu are now available via our Launchpad PPA. Release packages for other platforms are available on our Download page. This version introduces a myriad of new features, including Level-Up, Key re-binding, Spell buying, eating ingredients, using Keys to open things, and much more. Read on for the full changelog.

WeirdSexy stars again in the 0.18.0 release video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=LdEThh8efGs

Known Issues:

The launcher can crash on OS X versions < 10.8, this will be fixed in version 0.19.0
“Shaking screen effect” can occur on cell change

Changelog:

Implemented Level-Up dialog
Implemented Hide Marker, fixes big black blocks
Implemented Hotkey dialog
Implemented Keyboard and Mouse bindings, input system rewritten
Implemented Spell Buying Window
Added support for handling resources across multiple data directories
Implemented Object Movement/Creation script instructions
Initial AI framework implemented
Implemented eating Ingredients
Implemented Door markers on the local map
Implemented using Keys to open doors/containers
Implemented Loading screens
Implemented Inventory avatar image and race selection head preview (note that only default Dunmer male displays at the moment)
Fixed the size of Preferences menu buttons
Fixed Hand-to-hand always being 100
Fixes for NPC and character animation
Fix for sound coordinates
Fix for exception when drinking self-made potions
Fix for clothes showing up in 1st person
Fix for weird character on door tooltips
Collision fixes
Fix for “onOfferButtonClicked” crashy7

RammS
RammS's picture
Great progress guys!

Great progress guys!

Sjors Boomschors
Contributor
It very nice to see OpenMW is

It very nice to see OpenMW is only four versions away from becoming a stable playable game. I expect I will be playing OpenMW before the end of the year.

Sjors Boomschors
Contributor
I see v0.19 is out.Cant wait

I see v0.19 is out.

Cant wait for v0.20 as it will include some basic NPC AI, Combat and some animations. OpenMW is almost getting some real life to it. Keep up the work, you are all making good progress.

OpenMW
OpenMW's picture
Version 0.19.0

@Sjors

Yeah, thanks for updating folks. I think it's safer to say that we'll have something feature complete (hopefully) by the end of 2013. Then after that the engine will mature and get performance improvements, enhancements, and become more stable. Also, we hope there will be an explosion in participation and that by the end of 2014 some truly interesting things will have happened.

The OpenMW team is proud to announce the release of version 0.19.0! Release packages for Ubuntu are now available via our Launchpad PPA. Release packages for other platforms are available on our Download page. This version introduces Sleeping, Potions, DEATH!!, Spell Creation, Travel, and many other features.

Check out our release video by WeirdSexy.

Known Issues:

• Launcher crashes on OS X < 10.8
  • Extreme shaking can occur during exterior cell transitions for some users

Changelog:

• Implemented sleep/wait
  • Further implementation for alchemy/potions
  • Implemented death
  • Implemented spell creation and spell creation window
  • Implemented travel and travel dialogue
  • Implemented first layer of global map
  • Implemented trainer window
  • Implemented skill increase from skill books
  • Implemented ESM/ESP record saving
  • Fix for Character shaking in 3rd person mode near the origin
  • Implemented gamma correct rendering (does not work without shaders)
  • Fix for fortify attribute effects on the last 3 attributes
  • Fix for NCC flag handling, fixes some collision issues
  • Sort birthsign menu alphabetically
  • Various fixes/cleanup for the launcher
  • Fix for sound listener position updating incorrectly
  • Implemented dynamically generating splash image list
  • Fix for markers interfering with raycasting
  • Fix for crash after picking up items from an NPC
Sjors Boomschors
Contributor
Just to keep everyone updated

Just to keep everyone updated OpenMW v0.23 is out! They made some really nice new features possible and fixed a ton of bugs. Old school Morrowind is getting more playable by the week.

https://openmw.org/en/

grumpycat
grumpycat's picture
Been pondering the future of

Been pondering the future of Morroblivion forums and I've posted these thoughts before, but think its important to come to some understanding about possibilities for future projects. Huh, Skywind and Skyblivion is not enough on the plate for us!? Well yes it is, but hear me out.

Welcome to Morroblivion.com, a community about mods that merge the amazing world of The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind into more modern game engines.

Maybe I should do a poll, but what are the chances of another team making a run at converting Morrowind into say a TES6 engine? You'd actually have to question if anybody would have the energy to do it all again. Maybe a completely new set of people would try it, but you have to have real heart to see it through.

What I forsee is that the next project would actually be doing a branch of OpenMW which would leverage all the amazing work that has been done by the modelers, animators, artists, designers and general ideas at Morroblivion.

A variety of different things could be done, but it would be along the lines of seeing what capabilities the graphics engine of OpenMW has, which is Orge3D. Either we export all the models and animations done for Skywind into a format that Orge3D can read and the branch would be altered to read and render these. Or OpenMW branch reads in the Skyrim format. No small task, but I see the talent and team of Morroblvion forums being able to do this, with the help of the OpenMW team. Especially if it can be agreed that the future of Morrowind gaming is within OpenMW. So then you have to ask if Orge3D can compete with a possible TES6 or TES7 engine. I'll be realistic and say that probably not completely...but then again you do get a engine which is being continuously worked on and updated. It will always be optimized for the later CPUs and GPUs. You can also progressively push its capabilities by redesigning animations, creature realism, and enhanced effects to mention some elements. In time the only limits will be peoples imaginations. Plus its available right now, only to get better over the years. If you were to estimate another TES release you'd probably say at least 4 years from now.

Wasn't one of the reasons for the newer engines because of the game mechanics as well? Of course, OpenMW is Morrowind down to the last die roll for combat hitting. So a branch would be to also look at what fantasy elements you want for the game? This is also fun as the fans get to decided what would be the most fun. Certainly combat would be top of the list of what would need to be done...you get the idea.

It would seem that post Skywind release 1.0, it would be a downgrade to look at OpenMW as the engine to focus on. Yes, but as I say never having to port Morrowind data into another engine again sounds very appealing, at least 1 1/2 yrs worth right there, and you work around a system that will soon catch up with Skyrim engine then overpass it. With even more years of enhancing the overhaul, I'd say it would have to be a completely amazing engine the Bethesda released to truly want people to spend the effort of converting Morrowind another time.

grumpycat
grumpycat's picture
If anybody gets a chance can

If anybody gets a chance can they download OpenMW 0.25 and see what your FPS is like? post cpu and gpu as well if you can be bothered.

https://openmw.org/downloads/

Sjors Boomschors
Contributor
CPU:  AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+

CPU:  AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ ( 2.41GHz )
GPU:  Nvidia Geforce 6200 128MB
MEM: System Memory 3,12GB

Interior: 12 FPS
Exterior: 8 FPS

I have to say it runs better then Skyrim, LOL

no1
no1's picture
so this is gone be morrowind

so this is gone be morrowind in a powerd up engine ?

hmm would be nice to see that side to side whit morroblivion and skywind

also   happychappy by the time elder scroll 6 is out i think most of skywind is done and  maby skyblivion it think the focus wil mostly be to make a good conferterd version of skyrim skywind and skyblivion if possibel afcourse  because when skywind is done i think it wil be cool looking in elder scroll 6 whit out to much change like morroblivion and skyblivion

grumpycat
grumpycat's picture
because when skywind is done

because when skywind is done i think it wil be cool looking in elder scroll 6 whit out to much change like morroblivion and skyblivion

Please nobody kid themselves on the difference between "it would be cool" and what you actually want from converting into a newer engine. Nothing is simple, it takes a team to find out all the differences and years to convert. Unless its a miracle that structures are more or less the same, but it might be policy of Bethesda to change it specifically because of us! lol We are getting pretty good at it now.

so this is gone be morrowind in a powerd up engine ?

In theory yes, but more specifically an open source code program so that you can change any aspect. But after a little bit of testing it is a long way off competing with the likes of a Skyrim engine. At the moment its not really able to perform up to Morrowind engine, which is kind of surprising to say the least. But I have faith, and because everything is open sourced, it means that you can continue to improve it.

qwertyasdfgh
qwertyasdfgh's picture
If anybody gets a chance can

If anybody gets a chance can they download OpenMW 0.25 and see what your FPS is like? post cpu and gpu as well if you can be bothered.

Just tried this (with MGSO installed) in 1920 x 1200, AA 8x and it runs pretty damn smooth. FPS counter didn't show up for some reason, but I'd say it was at least 40.
My system is: Core i7 920 CPU (2.4GHz), AMD Radeon HD6950 2Gb, 8Gb RAM.

Sjors Boomschors
Contributor
The OpenMW team has released

The OpenMW team has released version 0.28.0

OpenMW v0.28.0 Website
https://openmw.org/en/

OpenMW v0.28.0 YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9lTWjXAi9s

OpenMW
OpenMW's picture
The OpenMW team is proud to
The OpenMW team is proud to announce the release of version 0.39.0! Grab it from our Downloads Page for all operating systems. This release brings background cell loading and caching, which is a feature not to be missed. Initial support for object shaders has found its way back into our engine, and a host of bugs have been smashed. See below for the full list of changes.

The venerable Atahualpa has bravely stepped up to fill WeirdSexy's boundless shoes as our video producer, check out the video for this release and OpenMW-CS 0.39.0. Check our blog or Youtube channel if you missed his videos for versions 0.36, 0.37, or 0.38.

Known Issues:
  • Shadows are not re-implemented at this time, as well as distant land

Changelog:
  • Implemented background cell loading and caching of loaded cells
  • Implemented support for object shaders in OSG
  • Implemented interpolation for physics simulation, smoothing rendering of statics and fixing some collision issues
  • Implemented support for sphere map NiTextureEffects
  • Implemented the FixMe script instruction
  • Implemented support for RGB and RGBA embedded textures in NIF files
  • Implemented corpse clear delay
  • Implemented per-creature respawn time tracking
  • Fixed Dark Brotherhood Assassins, ghosts in Ibar-Dad, and other creatures spawned with PlaceAt spawning inside world geometry
  • Fixed Activate / OnActivate script instruction to match vanilla behavior
  • Fixed player spawning underwater when loading a game saved while swimming
  • Fixed NPCs not using correct animations with Animated Morrowind mod
  • Fixed Riekling raider pig screaming continuously
  • Fixed Vivec's hands in the Psymoniser Vivec God Replacement mod
  • Fixed NPCs spamming restoration spells instead of defending themself
  • Fixed a crash caused by local script iteration
  • Fixed AI packages to not stack when duplicates are added
  • Fixed actor animations not being rebuilt on resurrection
  • Fixed dialog boxes for non-standard NPCs not scrolling correctly
  • Fixed wandering NPCs disappearing or getting teleported to strange places
  • Fixed missing NPC name in journal entry when given Pilgrimages of the Seven Graces quest
  • Fixed bounding box used for items when dropping them from the inventory
  • Fixed spells exploding on an actor being applied twice
  • Fixed Azura's missing head
  • Fixed potion effect showing when ingredient effects are not known
  • Fixed hands turning partially invisible when chopping with a spear
  • Fixed fast travel breaking save files made afterwards
  • Fixed crash after casting recall spell
  • Fixed constant effect enchantment animation playing on dead bodies
  • Fixed spell effects to not persist after the caster dies
  • Fixed corpses that are submerged at the beginning of the game to stay submerged
  • Fixed "when strikes" enchantments to not launch a projectile from the attacker when they apply
  • Fixed camera snapping to straight up or down after teleporting
  • Fixed alchemy window ingredient count not decrementing when combining ingredients that don't share effects
  • Fixed mods corrupting the hasWater() flag for exterior cells
  • Fixed a crash with mods that define bip01 spine1 but not bip01 spine2
  • Fixed class image display when an image for the class is not found
  • Fixed possible infinite disposition through exploit
  • Fixed glitch causing removed clothing to still be rendered on the character on the inventory paper doll
  • Fixed statics and activators not being able to cast spell effects on the player
  • Fixed cells not loading when using Poorly Placed Object Fix mod
  • Fixed female characters incorrectly using the male base animation skeleton
  • Fixed "use best attack" punches to match vanilla behavior
  • Fixed crash when clicking through the class selection menu a specific way
  • Fixed save list jumping to the top when deleting a saved game
  • Fixed the selected class and race not being cleared when starting a new game
  • Fixed crash when water normal map is missing
  • Fixed an issue with handling stray arguments in scripts
  • Fixed Drop script instruction to match vanilla behavior
  • OpenMW-CS: Implemented GMST verifier
  • OpenMW-CS: Implemented info record verifier
  • OpenMW-CS: Implemented rendering cell border markers in Scene view
  • OpenMW-CS: Implemented point lighting in Scene view
  • OpenMW-CS: Implemented optional line wrapping in script editor
  • OpenMW-CS: Reimplemented 3D scene camera system
  • OpenMW-CS: Implemented scenes being a drop target for referenceables
  • OpenMW-CS: Implemented rendering cell markers in Scene view
  • OpenMW-CS: Implemented Instance selection menu in Scene view
  • OpenMW-CS: Implemented Move sub mode for Instance editing mode in Scene view
  • OpenMW-CS: Implemented behavior for changing water level of interiors to match exteriors
  • OpenMW-CS: Implemented using "Enter" key instead of clicking "Create" button to confirm ID input in Creator Bar
  • OpenMW-CS: Fixed objects dropped in the scene not always saving
  • OpenMW-CS: Fixed objects added to the scene not rendering until the scene is reloaded
  • OpenMW-CS: Fixed land data being written twice
  • OpenMW-CS: Fixed GMST ID named sMake Enchantment being named sMake when making new game from scratch
  • OpenMW-CS: Fixed creator bar in Start Scripts subview not accepting script ID drops
  • OpenMW-CS: Fixed using the "Next Script" and "Previous Script" buttons changes the record status to "Modified"
OpenMW
OpenMW's picture
Hello everyone,

Hello everyone,

after almost five months, the OpenMW team has released version 0.40.0 of our open source reimplementation of The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind. Our engine is already in a fully playable state, and maybe some of you would like to enjoy the original Morrowind on OpenMW before Skywind becomes playable itself.

Anyway, I wish you a steady pace of development and less trouble with your releases than we recently had. :-)

Best regards,

Atahualpa / the OpenMW team

And here's the official release announcement (https://openmw.org/2016/openmw-0-40-0-released/):

The OpenMW team is proud to announce the release of version 0.40.0! Grab it from our Downloads Page (https://openmw.org/downloads/) for all operating systems. This release brings some small new features, but mainly bug fixes and improvements. We're winding down on implementable features, these are exciting times for OpenMW, even if releases have a little less user-visible changes. The game is basically fully playable, and future releases will bring mostly more fixes and optimizations.

Check out the release video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avPbctre9Qw) and the OpenMW-CS release video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izlm2CAnCpY) by the prodigious Atahualpa, and see below for the full list of changes.

Known Issues:
- Shadows are not re-implemented at this time, as well as distant land
- To use the Linux targz package binaries Qt4 and libpng12 must be installed on your system

Changelog:
- Implemented NPC "Face" function
- Implemented weather dependent sun/moon reflections
- Implemented effect removal for abilities, fixes locked player movement upon exiting portable house mods
- Implemented deletion of moved references
- Fixed possible reference duplication when a mod modifies the corresponding refID
- Fixed creatures in cells without pathgrids not wandering
- Fixed death events to trigger at the end of the death animation instead of the beginning
- Fixed timed effects not to be interrupted when resting
- Fixed constant effects not to be put on hold when resting
- Fixed some issues with how Magicka is calculated in regard to Fortify Magicka effect and Intelligence
- Fixed several issues with telekinesis interaction
- Fixed issues with how the "#" character was handled in directory names in the config
- Fixed Slowfall spell to now stop forward momentum when jumping
- Fixed not being able to replace parent cell references with a cell reference of different type
- Fixed Cliff Racers not being able to attack targets below them
- Fixed creatures and NPCs not being able to aim ranged attacks vertically
- Fixed the player spawning at the origin if the cell they saved in doesn't exist anymore
- Fixed crash that could occur when using teleportation spells
- Fixed ESS-Importer not separating item stacks
- Fixed NPCs forgetting they had talked to the player before for their voiced dialog
- Fixed NPCs not looping their AiTravel assignments
- Fixed NPCs wandering to invalid locations after training
- Fixed NPCs wandering off their pathgrid when player waits
- Fixed "StopCombat" AI command not functioning correctly
- Fixed Larienna Macrina not correctly stopping combat after killing Hrelvesuu in the "Battle at Nchurdamz" quest
- Fixed monsters respawning when loading a quicksave
- Fixed a visual effect playing in Dagoth Ur's chamber that shouldn't be there
- Fixed blight weather still occurring after killing Dagoth Ur
- Fixed new dialog in a mod inheriting some data from the dialog it replaces
- Fixed actors that start the game dead always using the same death pose
- Fixed NPCs to not auto-equip ammunition
- Fixed NPCs not favoring ranged weapons
- Fixed NPCs detecting the player when they don't have line of sight
- Fixed ashmire particles rendering outside of their pool
- Fixed AiWander start time resetting when saving/loading
- Fixed 1st and 3rd person camera not converting from .ess correctly with ESS-Importer
- Fixed issues caused by the idle camera when the player is paralyzed
- Fixed nearby monsters who have not detected the player not preventing the player from resting
- Fixed an issue with the victim of a pickpocket not always being alerted
- Fixed dead NPCs and creatures contributing to Sneak skill increases
- Fixed weather dependent dialog playing in interior cells
- Fixed effects cast by summons persisting after their death
- Fixed an issue with parallax map rendering
- Fixed level up graphic to match vanilla game behavior
- Fixed segfault in Atrayonis's "Anthology Solstheim: Tomb of the Snow Prince" mod
- Fixed issues with invisibility not dispelling correctly
- Fixed the first couple of seconds of NPC speech being muted on some PCs
- Fixed being able to stack effects from identical magic scrolls
- Fixed 3rd person camera distance getting stuck
- Fixed AiFollow and AiEscort durations to be handled as in-game hours instead of seconds, as per the vanilla engine
- Fixed a couple of issues with how fatigue is displayed when the player has fortified strength
- OpenMW-CS: Implemented multiple deletion of subrecords
- OpenMW-CS: Reimplemented pathgrid rendering
- OpenMW-CS: Implemented configurable key bindings
- OpenMW-CS: Implemented pathgrid editing
- OpenMW-CS: Fixed Start Scripts table not updating when a script is added
- OpenMW-CS: Fixed tooltips not showing in scene view unless holding mouse button on them
- OpenMW-CS: Fixed tab width in Script Editor to be 4 characters instead of 4 pixels
- OpenMW-CS: Fixed being able to create duplicate pathgrid records
- OpenMW-CS: Fixed data in Weapon records not being properly set
- OpenMW-CS: Fixed Regions table to show weather options and allow editing them

OpenMW
OpenMW's picture
Hello,

Hello,

before the new year finally arrives (at least for me), it is my pleasure to announce the release of version 0.41.0 of the OpenMW engine. Please note that our open source reimplementation of The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind is already in a fully playable state and only a few steps away from version 1.0.

Find the full change log below, and also have a look at our release videos. I look forward to hearing more of your awesome project in the future -- I especially like your blog posts (man, you even got a Monkey Island reference in the last one!), so don't let me down.

Best wishes for the new year,

Atahualpa / the OpenMW team

And here's the official release announcement (https://openmw.org/2016/openmw-0-41-0-released/):

The OpenMW team is proud to announce the release of version 0.41.0! Grab it from our Downloads Page (https://openmw.org/downloads/) for all operating systems. This release brings an assortment of small new features, such as a handful of graphical magical effects, and some new NPC AI behavior. We continue to plod along to a 1.0 release, stay tuned!

Check out the engine release video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wntey5M5kvc) and the OpenMW-CS release video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDlLxs87u4I) by the irrepressible Atahualpa.

Known Issues:
- Shadows are not re-implemented at this time, as well as distant land
- To use the Linux targz package binaries Qt4 and libpng12 must be installed on your system
- On OSX, OpenMW-CS is able to launch OpenMW only if OpenMW.app and OpenMW-CS.app are siblings
- On OSX, some users may experience the beginning of acted voice clips cut off

New Features:
- Implemented zero-weight boots playing light armor boot footsteps
- Implemented playing audio and visual effects for every effect in a spell
- Implemented doubling the size of spell explosions
- Implemented particle textures for spell effects
- Implemented NPCs using opponent's weapon range to decide whether to dodge
- Implemented dodging for creatures with the "biped" flag
- Implemented drop shadow for items in the menu
- Implemented correct range for "on touch" spells
- Implemented using telekinesis with on touch spells on objects
- Implemented AI Combat: Flee
- Implemented player glow for non-portable lights added to the inventory
- OpenMW-CS: Implemented rotate and scale sub modes for instance editing mode
- OpenMW-CS: Implemented water rendering
- ESS-Importer: Implemented player control flags

Bug Fixes:
- Almsivi and Divine intervention now display the correct spell effect
- Instant spell effects now show an effect indicator
- Fixed playback of weapon idle animation to include a part previously omitted
- Stat review window at character creation now shows starting spells, powers, and abilities
- Repair and recharge interfaces no longer cause a performance drop under certain circumstances
- Fullscreen can now be disabled again after enabling it in-game on OSX
- Disabled door markers no longer show up on the map
- Fixed an issue when the equip script instruction is used on an NPC without the item, fixing mods Romance 3.7 and Vampire Embrace
- Banners now show random animations during stormy weather
- Inventory tooltip for zero-weight armor no longer displays weight info
- Idle animations now always loop
- Spark showers near Sotha Sil now appear at the right time
- The type of an NPC's melee attack (chop, slash, thrust) no longer depends on their movement direction
- Fix for freeze when the cell was changed immediately after dying
- Unalerted slaughterfish in the same cell as the player no longer prevent resting
- Blood effects no longer occur when the hit is resisted
- Todwendy can now be interacted with in the German version of the game
- Fix for crash when opening the journal with missing fonts
- SetInvisible command no longer applies a graphic effect
- Non-hostile NPCs can no longer be disarmed by pickpocketing their weapons
- Hidden inventory items, such as the light source for Trueflame's light effect, are no longer shown
- Corrected the order in which alembics and retorts are used
- Animation replacer no longer hangs after one animation cycle
- Corrected sounds and skill increases for bound armor and shields
- Corky can now be sold to Drulene Falen
- NPC disposition can no longer be lowered below zero
- NPC autoequip behavior now better matches vanilla
- State of enabled/disabled player controls is now correctly saved
- Moved references are now properly handled in respawning code
- Water ripples are now shown when walking on water
- Argonian NPCs no longer swim like Khajiits
- Spells with the "always succeed" flag can now be deleted from the spellbook
- Bound equipment spells can no longer be recast
- Fixed some objects added by Morrowind Rebirth not properly displaying their texture
- Fixed OSX not being able to find settings-default.cfg
- Fixed dialogue/journal links being unclickable on certain platforms due to undefined behavior
- Attacking with a stacked enchanted thrown weapon no longer reduces the charge of items remaining in that stack
- Fixed an issue with the water surface transparency when viewed from certain angles using non-shader water
- Fixed animation state to be saved upon cell-changing or save & load; fixes several traps as well as the metal doors in Sotha Sil
- "Can't Cast" message now displayed when water walking is cast from too great of a depth
- Player is now moved out of the water when casting water walking from a shallow enough depth
- Levelled items in merchant inventory are no longer re-added every time the trade window is reopened
- Weather manager now handles weather for regions added by plugins after a save game was created
- Fix to more gracefully handle cases where an object refers to an enchantment ID which does not exist
- Fixed how NPCs react to hostile spell effects being cast on them (for now, see: https://forum.openmw.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&p=43942#p43942)
- Player/NPC skeleton's bone cache is now cleared when a node is added/removed, fixing a crash that could happen whenever player/NPC equipment is updated
- OpenMW-CS: Globals are now initialized with a valid type
- OpenMW-CS: The nested tables for NPC skills and attributes are now hidden when the auto-calc flag is checked
- OpenMW-CS: Fixed verification for "Not Local" info condition
- OpenMW-CS: Fixed verification for special faction ID "FFFF"
- OpenMW-CS: Changes from omwaddon are now loaded in [New Addon] mode
- OpenMW-CS: Objects moved in interior cells in the scene editor will no longer be teleported outside
- OpenMW-CS: Fixed not being able to find the project file when launching the game
- OpenMW-CS: Deleted instances will no longer reappear
- OpenMW-CS: Using "Extend Selection to Instances" will no longer cause duplicates