Pages

54 posts / 0 new
Last post
leobloom
leobloom's picture
Updating Morroblivion models to a Skyrim standard

After some discussion, it has been decided that only a few assets will be proted directly from skyrim to morroblivion, so as to keep the unique feel of the original game. The models that are candidates for this are listed in the next post.

To get started do the following:

Open up the lastest morrowind_sk.esm in the creation kit and go to the object window. Here I'll look at some of the trees:

http://s13.postimage.org/cva70s0k7/tree_edit.jpg

The only windows we are interested in are the "Object window" and the "preview object". All of the morrowind models are under Worldobjects/Static/Morro Also note as I'm working with trees I've typed tree into the filter at the top hide all models that are not-relevant. Now I've got my model I try to find a Skyrim equivalent. This can be anything that is not in the  Worldobjects/Static/Morro path. Obviously as this is a tree I'm going to look under "trees":

http://s7.postimage.org/6s54gwsvf/tree_edit.jpg

This looks good. They're not excatly the same (the new tree could be a little darker) but overall a pretty good resemblance.

Now I can post this on this thread in the following format: 

0FloraUtreeUBMU02 > TreePineForest03 ( double clicking an object allows you to copy it's name easily)

Mods considered for assest usage:

All of the morrowind artifacts by Nexus user PrivateEye: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/users/887024

Sheogorad - Forsaken Isles: http://www.oblivion.nexusmods.com/mods/37329

At a later stage we can then simply use a search and replace using this information to update all the models

Suggested tags:

[RTX] needs retexturing

[SCL] Needs scaling

Edited by: grumpycat on 03/14/2014 - 21:38
leobloom
leobloom's picture
List of models found

Flora:

0floraUbcUfernU02 > TreeSwordFern01

0floraUbcUfernU03 > TreeSwordFern05 (No base, small difference)

0floraUbcUfernU04 > TreeSwordFern04 (No base, small difference)

0floraUbcUmossU01 > TreeFloraHangingMoss01
0floraUbcUmossU02 > TreeFloraHangingMoss01 
0floraUbcUmossU03 > TreeFloraHangingMoss01
0floraUbcUmossU04 > TreeFloraHangingMoss01
0floraUbcUmossU05 > TreeFloraHangingMoss02
0floraUbcUmossU06 > TreeFloraHangingMoss02
0floraUbcUmossU07 > TreeFloraHangingMoss02
0floraUbcUmossU08 > TreeFloraHangingMoss02 
0floraUbcUmossU09 > TreeFloraHangingMoss01
0floraUbcUmossU10 > TreeFloraHangingMoss01 
0floraUbcUmossU11 > TreeFloraHangingMoss01
0floraUbcUmossU12 > TreeFloraHangingMoss01
0floraUbcUmossU13 > TreeFloraHangingMoss02 
0floraUbcUmossU14 > TreeFloraHangingMoss02 
0floraUbcUmossU15 > TreeFloraHangingMoss02  
0floraUbcUmossU16 > TreeFloraHangingMoss03  
0floraUbcUmossU17 > TreeFloraHangingMoss03  
0floraUbcUmossU18 > TreeFloraHangingMoss03  
0floraUbcUmossU19 > TreeFloraHangingMoss01 
0floraUbcUmossU20 > TreeFloraHangingMoss01  
0floraUbcUmossU21 > TreeFloraHangingMoss01 
0FloraUBMUsnowstumpU01 > TreePineForestCutStump02
0FloraUBMUsnowstumpU02 > TreePineForestCutStump02_LightSN
0FloraUBMUsnowstumpU03 > TreePineForestStump01
0FloraUBMUsnowstumpU04 > TreePineForestCutStump02_HeavySN
0FloraUBMUsnowstumpU05 > TreePineForestCutStump01
0FloraUBMUsnowstumpU06 > TreePineForestCutStump02
0FloraUBMUtreestumpU01 > TreePineForestCutStump01
0FloraUBMUtreestumpU02 > TreePineForestCutStump02
0FloraUBMUtreestumpU03 > TreePineForestStump01
0FloraUBMUtreestumpU04 > TreePineForestStump01Blank
0FloraUBMUtreestumpU05 > TreePineForestCutStump02
0FloraUBMUtreestumpU06 > TreePineForestStump02A
0FloraUtreeUBMU02 > TreePineForest03
0FloraUtreeUBMU03 > TreePineForest02
0FloraUtreeUBMU04 > TreePineForest03
0FloraUtreeUBMUsnowU02 > TreePineForestSnow03
0FloraUtreeUBMUsnowU03 > TreePineForestSnow02
0FloraUtreeUBMUsnowU04 > TreePineForestSnow03
0floraUbcUvineU01 > NorVineWall02
0floraUbcUvineU02 > NorVineWall03
0floraUbcUvineU03 > NorVineWall02
0floraUbcUvineU04 > NorVineWall01
0floraUbcUvineU05 > NorVineWall02
0floraUbcUvineU06 > NorVineWall01
0floraUbcUvineU07 > NorVineWall03

leobloom
leobloom's picture
Skyrim moss is here!

Skyrim moss is here!

RammS
RammS's picture
Yeah leobloom! It's exactly

Yeah leobloom! It's exactly what I mean about searching an equivalents!

The same thing, as I'm already said, we can do with ground and etc textures.

Sjors Boomschors
Sjors Boomschors's picture
Contributor
@Leobloom:I think you may

@Leobloom:

I think you may have noticed that I am not a really big fan of replacing old content; you could consider me as an olds school person.

I think if you do want this kind of thing, replacing objects on a Con-set Editor ID basis you should request for some new options to be integrated in to the Chuvakin converter.

1. The option to replace objects

2. The option to move around objects

( .INI file with names of objects to replace and movement info )

They could look at the old Morroblivion converter made by Galadrielle for inspiration.

EDIT:

Example from old .INI file.

; Statics

terrain_rock_bc_18=0xFFFFFFFF ( 0.0,0.0,0.0 ) 1.0 lod

terrain_rock_wg_06=0xFFFFFFFF ( 0.0,0.0,0.0 ) 1.0 lod

terrain_rock_wg_07=0xFFFFFFFF ( 0.0,0.0,0.0 ) 1.0 lod

terrain_rock_wg_08=0xFFFFFFFF ( 0.0,0.0,0.0 ) 1.0 lod

terrain_rock_wg_09=0xFFFFFFFF ( 0.0,0.0,0.0 ) 1.0 lod

Read as:

Replace [ terrain_rock_wg_09 ] for Editor ID [0xFFFFFFFF ] and reposition by [ ( 0.0,0.0,0.0 ) ] include LOD setting [ 1.0 lod ]

oratorus
oratorus's picture
looks good, leobloom!

looks good, leobloom!

leobloom
leobloom's picture
Sjors, I completely respect

Sjors, I completely respect your descision to stay with the old models. I hope that perhaps we can have two versions of morroskyrim, one with skyrim models and one with morrowind ones but sharing all other common data. And yes, your idea for the converter is excatly what I want. Thanks again. I'll go and request that.

Is the source code for the original converter freely availiable?

Ramms and oratorus: don't be afraid to jump in and help! Just pick somewthing I haven't done yet and the find an approximation. Doesn't matter if it's not exact. Hopefully I can make a build with the new models fairly soon to help with testing.

Sjors Boomschors
Contributor
Nope, there is no source code

Nope, there is no source code availiable of origional converter.

EDIT:
Replace Editor ID
Move Editor ID
Rescale Editor ID
Set has LOD on Editor ID
Etc...

leobloom
leobloom's picture
argh. I don't suppose

argh. I don't suppose replacing objects is very complex if you alread have a converter but that still would of helped. One question: you mention creating LOD settings. I thought this was done afterwards in the creationkit for object and tree LODs?

I think we should do rescaling externaly and just make new sized models. This will make it easier to add them in new places.

Sjors Boomschors
Contributor
In Oblivion you had to set

In Oblivion you had to set the "ID has LOD" active by hand on all object placed in the world space that you wanted to use LOD visible from distance.

leobloom
leobloom's picture
Ah yes, in fact the skyrim CK

Ah yes, in fact the skyrim CK has 4 levels!

leobloom
leobloom's picture
Some kind of mushrooms

OFFENDING PHOTO REMOVED

Shadow
Shadow's picture
I just thought I should make

I just thought I should make my opinion clear.  I want the vast majority of Morroskyrim objects to be the originals from Morrowind.  The only ones that I would want to see replaced are those with both vastly inferior models, and good Skyrim or Skyrim mod equivalents.  The only ones I can really think of right now are many of the trees, as well as creatures, plus some that just make sense, such as some of the ingredients that are the same.  The rest, such as armors, swords, and misc objects may have Skyrim equivalents, but they were made for Skyrim.  We want Morrowind to be unique, and we shouldn't go crazy and replace, for example, all of the bottles with Skyrim ones because they have newer models.  The Morrowind bottles were made to be in Vvardenfell, and we should treat them as such.  That is my opinion and I hope others share it as well.  If not, then we may just have to keep Morroskyrim all Morrowind models, and create mods to replace objects with Skyrim ones.

Sjors Boomschors
Contributor
@Shadow:Indeed, at the moment

@Shadow:

Indeed, at the moment where converting the game over to the new Skyrim standard, replacing objects and Editor ID’s should start when conversion is 100% successful. Where here to lift old content to a new level not to throw it away and replace with the same content over and over.

leobloom
leobloom's picture
Whoa alrighty then. I'm not

Whoa alrighty then. I'm not about to start replacing the balmora cottages with nord huts or anything crazy. If you read my posts you can see that I indend to only use models that look very similar to the originals, or else retexture or re-moddle them. There's no getting around the fact that some of the morrowind meshes are just plain ugly. If you want to keep them then it begs the question of why you don't just play morrowind or morroblivion.

If you read my posts you can see that I indend to retexture and edit the meshes to fit in with Morrowind as much as possible. Personaly 
I wouldn't say that seeing this: http://static.skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/images/4260-1-1324452226.jpg instead of this: http://fessicsfavorites.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/bottle-replacer.jpg would be that much of an issue (with the labels removed, obviously) 

S.B.: I m mearly trying to asseble a library of equivilent models for when the converter is finished.

Shadow
Shadow's picture
Leobloom:  Sorry if I came

Leobloom:  Sorry if I came off harsh, I just wanted to make sure noone did anything drastic.  I understand you don't want to do anything that extreme, but I thought it would probably be best to state my opinion so you can know what other members think. :)

Oh and the part about the bottles was just an example.  It would not necessarily be bad to use Skyrim models, especially since they have WAY fewer polys, or at least that is what the lag is telling me. :)

leobloom
leobloom's picture
Ah, thanks. You did scare me

Ah, thanks. You did scare me a bit :P I do not do not do not want to have vvardenfell bearing even the slightest resemplance to the world of skyrim. What I think we would all like however is nicer looking and better-optimised models :)

leobloom
leobloom's picture
double post

Clint
Clint's picture
Oh crap
Oh crap no! Please, do not replace my beloved Morrowind models! Seriously, I cringed when I saw that. I know you want to bring Morrowind up to date as we all do, but there are other ways we can do this. For right now, I think we're good since we have Eloth's amazing texture overhaul to fall back on. If you want Icebloom, you could make a plugin that replaces Morrowind stuff with Skyrim stuff, but that should be a mod, not part of the main project. I want to walk around Morrowind and feel like I'm in Morrowind, not Skyrim. If it's things like ferns and grass, which very closely resemble Morrowind's, then yeah, I'm all for that. But the mushrooms, they look pretty good to me?
leobloom
leobloom's picture
Ahhhhh to much divergence of

Ahhhhh to much divergence of opinion! Do we want trees, bottles, mushrooms, rocks, monsters, pirates or ninjas? How about I just carry on working away at this and then when we get to an appropriate time you can chose which things you want to include in the master file - I'll try to lay it out better to streamline this for you.

But please, "Oh crap no" is a little offensive...

ironman12345
ironman12345's picture
leobloom,Could  the holes in

leobloom,

Could  the holes in the landscape [like those around balmora] be filled in,in the CK using a simular method.?

Clint
Clint's picture
Leobloom, don't get me wrong,
Leobloom, don't get me wrong, I know you have good intentions but I think we need to sit back and think about some things. First of all, the converter is constantly being updated, so I don't know if your changes would stick (they probably would though.) Second of all, there are better ways of upgrading Morroskyrim's look. Now, your example with the bottles: THAT is something I would support. Very, very close to the original which is what we are aiming for. But replacing those mushrooms? That was too far, which is why I freaked out. The moss? Yeah that's a great replacement since there is moss hanging off trees in Morrowind, so that is something I would support as well. These are very subtle changes that upgrade the look but don't take away from the originality of Morrowind. But the reason why I'm really touchy about using Skyrim equivalents, besides detracting from Morrowind's originality, is that it shows we're not professional. I've played mods that have tried to rebuild Morrowind, and they barely had any custom assets. They just used Oblivion assets. SoVvM was like this back when I tried it. Yeah it had good graphics, but it looked nothing like Morrowind. You could pick out all the Oblivion objects and see where they came from. For example, Ghostgate was Sheogorath's palace! Now on the other side, there was another mod which tried to rebuild Morrowind - Sheogorad: The Forsaken Isles. Nearly all of the assets used were custom made. And guess what? This looked very close to Morrowind, with just amazing and more up to date graphics. Which mod do you think I enjoyed more and had more respect for? Yes, it's easier to throw in Skyrim equivalents, but your product is made of cheaper quality. And that's my point. We are a professional modding team. We try our best to achieve quality, not quantity. I look at Andoran's mod. It looks mind blowing. These guys are professionals. Do you think they used Skyrim assets? Or custom ones? Anyways, sorry for the rant Leobloom, I'm just trying to make a point. I know you're doing your best and have the same goal in mind as we do, I just think there is a better way of going about it.
Clint
Clint's picture
So pretty much, I agree with
So pretty much, I agree with Shadow's post. Leobloom, I'm with you man, trees look hideous! We could probably replace them with Skyrim equivalents for right now. Or let's say something like a log, and you replaced it with a Skyrim equivalent. Yeah, I'm totally for that. But the mushrooms I believe are fine since they have Eloth's retexture.
Sjors Boomschors
Contributor
Take Morroblivion for

Take Morroblivion for example, I am like most of us a bit irritated that allot of stuff got replaced without improving the old Morrowind content. I wish I had two screens so I could compare and fix all bad replacements back to the original content.

I think that’s why most of us are a little bit protective due to previous mistakes / bad disisions made on Morroblivion. Morrowind on the Skyrim engine should thereby have an almost ~0% dependency on Skyrim content.

Remember this is just my thinking; everyone is free to mod the world he plays in. That’s why I sad in my first post in this topic that I do not agree or like replacing stuff, but I still support, advice and help out those that disagree or think differently.

leobloom
leobloom's picture
Fair do's. The mushrooms were

Fair do's. The mushrooms were crap. I'll stick to small things. The textures should look better after the nif converter is updated a bit anyway. I still think there is a case for updating the models to skyrim standards at some point, but trhat should probably be done using the morrowind models as a base.

I'll remove a load of the unwanted stuff tomorrow. I didn't mean to scare anyone - in future I'll think twice before posting mushroom horror photos :P

Ironman: You could manually edit the land in by hand but it's much much simpler to wait for the converter to be fixed.

RammS
RammS's picture
I'll take a look on the

I'll take a look on the Original Mushrooms in 3dsmax, maybe I can improve meshes to the Sky level. Because many of statics look like the squareboxes...

Shadow
Shadow's picture
We could always use Sheogorad

We could always use Sheogorad - Forsaken Isles models.  I'll admit I have never played the mod, though it has always been on my to do list, but Clint mentioning it on another thread a moment ago jogged my memory.  The screenshots show very good models that look very close to the original Morrowind.  We would of course have to obtain permission to use them, but I think they would really help the project.  The mushrooms in particular look really great.  Here is the link, and hopefully we will be able to obtain permission.

www.oblivion.nexusmods.com/mods/37329

Edit:

It says on the front page that we are allowed to convert to Skyrim as long as we make sure none of the textures are part of vanilla Oblivion.  It also says that we are allowed to use the assets as long as we read and follow the terms of use.  Unfortunately, I don't see them anywhere, and I assume that they are probably packaged in the file, which would take me a LONG time to download.  Would anyone else be so kind as to download it and find out the terms of use?

leobloom
leobloom's picture
Am doing that right now

EDIT: here you go, the readme for the file: 

== Sheogorad Terms of Use ==

1. YOU MUST GIVE CREDIT. At the end of this text you can find a list of all persons involved in making the assets. If you use anything please check the credit list to see who made what and give proper credit.

2. YOU MUST NOT OVERWRITE ANY FILES IN THE SHEOGORAD FOLDERS. That means you have two options to mod with the assets. 

First and easiest option is to make your mod dependant on the Sheogorad.esm. Simply load the esm in the CS and go for it. You will have all the assets at your disposal in the CS and can mod with them, just like you can with the Oblivion assets. You don't need to redistribute any of them either (and you should not). When you save you will have an esp file that is dependant both on the Oblivion.esm and the sheogorad.esm.

Second option is to make your own, independant mod that is only dependant on the Oblivion.esm. In that case you need to make sure that the assets you redistribute do not overwrite any of the Sheogorad assets, be it textures, meshes, sounds or whatever. For meshes and sounds this is easy, you can just put them in a different folder. But the texture paths have to changed as well, otherwise the textures need to be in the textures\sheogorad folder which is not an option. If you use lots of meshes (like a whole tileset) doing this in Nifskope is an insane amount of work. But there is a command line tool called 'Texture Replacer' by JOG. It is very easy to use and you can batch replace texture paths with it for as many nifs as you wish. For example you could exchange the word 'Sheogorad' with 'MyMod' in the texture path of all the meshes. If you don't know what I'm talking about here either ask for clarification or use the first method.

3. YOU MUST NOT ALTER ANY TEXURES MADE BY KZINISTZERG AND REDISTRIBUTE THEM. If you wish to use any of the Daedric or Velothi textures as a base for your own custom textures you need to contact her and ask for permission. The original, unaltered textures may be redistributed of course as long as credit is given.

Winterdragon
Winterdragon's picture
Well, I'm pretty sure that if

Well, I'm pretty sure that if you retexture a skeever it looks almost exactly the same as a rat from Oblivion or Morrowind, I know this because I saw a picture of one in a mod, unfortunatly I forgot what the name of the mod was but we could still use that plan. Other creatures we can obviously replace are mudcrabs, wolves, all the dewmer creatures (we are very lucky they even have spider centurions), bears, dremora, horkers, atronachs, slaughterfish, skeletons, spriggans, apparently there is a mysterious large raven according to UESP so we could retecture a hawk for it and we would have a model, aspect of hircine, werewolves and draugr. That's about half of the creatures in Morrowind with expansions I think, so that's a lot that's already done.

I also agree about replacing vegetation. I would leave weapons and armor as it is, except for converting for Skryim bodies and maybe a retexture where it's necessary so it doesn't look too old, same thing for weapons (I do hope they will add spears like in the dice video, crossbows are already confirmed ofcourse yay). Architecture looks fine the way it is in Morroblivion, I would suggest leaving it like it is.

Shadow
Shadow's picture
Wow that was fast.  So it

Wow that was fast.  So it looks like all we would have to do would be convert the meshes we want to use over, while making sure everything keeps the same directory.  Then give credit here on the website.  We would not even have to ask for permission.  Am I reading this right?  If I am then I would suggest we use as many meshes from that mod as possible as part of the main project.

Here is a picture showing the mushrooms for those who don't want to take the time to look at the mod's nexus page

Winterdragon:

Don't forget that we have Oblivion models at our disposal as well, though they would need to be converted.  That includes all of the rest of daedra that were in Morrowind, as well as real rats.

Edit:

It looks like our high poly bottle problems are solved, I just saw Morrowind bottles in one of the screenshots. YES!!!

Clint
Clint's picture
Replacing Morrowind Models

Winterdragon wrote:

Other creatures we can obviously replace are mudcrabs, wolves, all the dewmer creatures (we are very lucky they even have spider centurions)

I don't think we want to do that. Again, quality of the mod is of utmost important. Will they "look" better, have more polygons than Morrowind's? Sure. But when someone plays our mod, they'll be like, "Oh, hey look, they slapped in some dwemer creatures from Skryim." If both creatures looked really close, I could live with that. But they don't.

By the way, the one on the left of the original Bethsoft model is a custom one for Oblivion. I don't know if you can download it, but this is what I mean about the difference between a custom, updated one of the original versus the Skyrim equivalent.

Don't get me wrong. I agree that some of the models look very dated, and it's quite jarring to see high detailed buildings, then low detailed trees and creatures.

We must do this right. To keep the Morrowind feel and update the graphics, I think custom models and textures is the only way to go.

And hey, for people who would rather see Skyrim equivalents in Morrowind, they are free to make a plugin for that. I'm just saying this would not be good for the main project.

Shadow - I agree. I used to work with Vvardenfell Recreated who was working directly with the Sheogorad team. I can personally say Phitt makes LEGIT models and textures. They look almost exactly like Morrowind's, except MUCH better. Using those to replace our equivalents would be perfect.

Shadow
Shadow's picture
That is a good point Clint. 

That is a good point Clint.  Many equivalents don't necessarily look like the Morrowind models, so they would probably best be kept as a separate mod.  I still feel like many are close enough, such as bears, wolves, slaughterfish, skeletons, mudcrabs and possibly Daedra (just because I like the Skyrim models 1000% better), that they should be used, but now that I think about it, a few others like Dwemer Centurions, ghosts, spriggans, and a few others look a bit too different.  I think that right now we should use all Skyrim models until Morrowind creatures start to be converted, then choose the Skyrim models that are VERY similar to the Morrowind ones and keep them in the main game.  Then we could create a separate download that contains .esp files to enable Skyrim equivalents for other groups of creatures.  That way everyone is happy. :)

Also, I'm glad to see that you agree with using the Sheogorad models.  Would anyone who has 3ds max like to try their hand at converting them?  Then we can go in and try to find their equivalents.

Clint
Clint's picture
Converting Sheogorad Models

Shadow - Just got 3DS Max and Macorn's converter to work. I'll try my hand at the Sheogorad models tomorrow.

Winterdragon
Winterdragon's picture
Shadow

Shadow wrote:

Winterdragon:

Don't forget that we have Oblivion models at our disposal as well, though they would need to be converted.  That includes all of the rest of daedra that were in Morrowind, as well as real rats.

Yes, we have them, but can we use those models? Wouldn't they need to be changed a bit so it isn't copyright infringement or something? I don't know, I just doubt it would be legal to just take Oblivion models exactly as they are and reuse them.

Winterdragon
Winterdragon's picture
Shadow wrote:That is a good

Shadow wrote:

That is a good point Clint.  Many equivalents don't necessarily look like the Morrowind models, so they would probably best be kept as a separate mod.  I still feel like many are close enough, such as bears, wolves, slaughterfish, skeletons, mudcrabs and possibly Daedra (just because I like the Skyrim models 1000% better), that they should be used, but now that I think about it, a few others like Dwemer Centurions, ghosts, spriggans, and a few others look a bit too different.  I think that right now we should use all Skyrim models until Morrowind creatures start to be converted, then choose the Skyrim models that are VERY similar to the Morrowind ones and keep them in the main game.  Then we could create a separate download that contains .esp files to enable Skyrim equivalents for other groups of creatures.  That way everyone is happy. :)

Also, I'm glad to see that you agree with using the Sheogorad models.  Would anyone who has 3ds max like to try their hand at converting them?  Then we can go in and try to find their equivalents.

Yes, that would be a very good idea, we can use Skyrim models until we get the Morrowind ones converted. Also about those deadra, I like how the Dremora look in Skyrim, it's very similar to the ones in Morrowind, I would however give them the Morrowind deadra armour, this mod is already made on Skyrimnexus and it looks great, the only thing missing is one of the 3 helmets.

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/17664

The autor says you can't use it in any way without contacting him about it, and you can't use his models for anything on steam workshop, so I think he will let us use it. If you guys like the models I can contact him and we would be almost done with the dremora then, we would only have to worry about the weapons then.

EnvyDeveloper
EnvyDeveloper's picture
Yeah, morroskyrim would
Yeah, morroskyrim would require skyrim and morrowind, so we would have to use either skyrim or morrowind models. Without the user requiring a copy of Oblivion, it would go against our principles if we used oblivion models in morroskyrim. Same with using morrowind models in oblivirim. Bethesda deserves to get money from their previous elder scrolls games and I think that deep down they're encouraging this. I wonder if the same legal texture issues are with converting Oblivion as well. Might as well not risk to put it above ground but people are freely converting San Andreas to the GTA 4 engine and porting fallout 3 to new Vegas.
Winterdragon
Winterdragon's picture
I have also found some models

I have also found some models for some weapons and amulets and stuff on Skyrimnexus, they look pretty good and accurate to me, most of them.

this link is to the creator's page, so you can just see his files and take a look at them.

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/users/887024

leobloom
leobloom's picture
the guy says he's cool with

the guy says he's cool with people reusing his models. I'll add links to the main post.

Shadow: Those Sheogorad assets are amazing. It's a real shame that it never got finished. Looking through that folder there are several Morrowind models that have been re-made in a higher resolution. Heck, even the ground textures are awesome.

As for monsters are people comfortable with skeletons being updated? MW:http://social.bioware.com/uploads_user/1880000/1879525/42746.jpg

Skyrim: http://www.pentadact.com/wp-content/Skeleton.jpg

Slaughterfish:

http://images.uesp.net/thumb/7/79/MW-creature-Slaughterfish.jpg/180px-MW-creature-Slaughterfish.jpg

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20111124192936/elderscrolls/images/a/a1/Slaughterfish_skyrim.jpg

The skyrim monster mod has a Guar:

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/images/353344-1336770595.jpg

Winterdragon
Winterdragon's picture
Good that that guy is okay

Good that that guy is okay with reusing his models then.

So, about the skeletons, I'm okay with reusing them, a skeleton is a skeleton and except for the glowing eyes and equipment there is no signifficant difference. I would also use the Skyrim slaughterfish (your link for the picture gives a 404) they are a bit different, but who cares, it's not like you'll see them all the time in Morrowind. And that Guar looks great, maybe that guy could do some modelling for this project? He's pretty good at it so who knows.

EnvyDeveloper
EnvyDeveloper's picture
Yep, I think it's fine. The
Yep, I think it's fine. The improved AI of the slaughter fish would take advantage of Skyrim's new features after all. :)
Eazzy
Eazzy's picture
I'm generally comfortable

I'm generally comfortable with replacing morrowind actor models since they are pretty outdated. We do the same with the humanoid races. Of course I'd prefer to take custom ones, but until we make them ourselves or get them from somewhere we should replace them by Skyrim ones wherever possible.

Edit: Another point is animations. I'm not sure when or if we will be able to convert these, so maybe it is a good idea to use Sykrim models at first and replace them gradually afterwards.

Clint
Clint's picture
Replacements
Yeah, I'd be fine with stuff like slaughter fish and skeletons being replaced.
Winterdragon
Winterdragon's picture
Eazzy wrote:I'm generally

Eazzy wrote:

I'm generally comfortable with replacing morrowind actor models since they are pretty outdated. We do the same with the humanoid races. Of course I'd prefer to take custom ones, but until we make them ourselves or get them from somewhere we should replace them by Skyrim ones wherever possible.

Edit: Another point is animations. I'm not sure when or if we will be able to convert these, so maybe it is a good idea to use Sykrim models at first and replace them gradually afterwards.

Whoah, what? Replace the fine Skyrim animations with the crappy/funny Morrowind ones? Can't you use the Skyrim animations for all those creatures?

bigfoot343
bigfoot343's picture
For creature replacements I

For creature replacements I found these. 

Lore friendly replacer for Monster mod: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/16411

Many of these creatures bear a great resemblance to morrowind creatures.

Winterdragon
Winterdragon's picture
Excelent find, that Durzog in

Excelent find, that Durzog in the pictures section looks very good, just like the Guar.

Shadow
Shadow's picture
Envydeveloper and

Envydeveloper and Winterdragon:

I believe we already basically decided that we would need to convert Oblivion alongside Morrowind but only work on the Morrowind part right now.  This is due to the large number of dependencies on the Oblivion master.  In order to not require Oblivion we would have to replace the large number of textures used from it, as well as hand place a lot of dependent objects.  This is why we could use the Oblivion creatures if we wanted to.  It would not require anything new.  Also, good find with those models Winterdragon, they look really good. :)

Leobloom:

Do we really need that guar mod, as we already have a redone guar from Morroblivion.  I guess It might be good if converting animations will be hard, but if not then I think we should just stick with the one we already have.  Also, we should definately add mudcrabs to the list.  They are much more similar to the Morrowind ones than the Oblivion ones, besides, the original Morrowind mudcrab was never ported to Oblivion, so we would have to go through a lot of trouble to get it ingame.

Clint:  That is good news, hopefully you won't have to much trouble with the converter.

Winterdragon
Winterdragon's picture
Shadow wrote:Envydeveloper

Shadow wrote:

Envydeveloper and Winterdragon:

I believe we already basically decided that we would need to convert Oblivion alongside Morrowind but only work on the Morrowind part right now.  This is due to the large number of dependencies on the Oblivion master.  In order to not require Oblivion we would have to replace the large number of textures used from it, as well as hand place a lot of dependent objects.  This is why we could use the Oblivion creatures if we wanted to.  It would not require anything new.  Also, good find with those models Winterdragon, they look really good. :)

I was more talking about copyright trouble and that kind of stuff I don't really understand, I just thought that it would be not okay with Bethesda to take the rat from Oblivion and put in Skyrim unaltered.

Shadow
Shadow's picture
That is exactly what we are

That is exactly what we are doing for Morroskyrim as well as Morroblivion.  Bethesda is not "okay" with this as they asked us to leave the official forums years ago for doing it as I understand, however I am fairly certain that they know of this site and have not done anything to stop us.  It is not like we are just handing out resources, we are requiring the games, and as far as I am concerned, If you own it you can do what you want with it, at least as long as you don't start handing out copies for free :)

Sjors Boomschors
Contributor
Dont think Bethesda is NOT

Bethesda is NOT Okay with Morroblivion so there is no problem trowing in Oblivion content, this is one of those  1 + 1 = 1 situations, the outcome is always the same no matter what you put into it.

Winterdragon
Winterdragon's picture
Oh, lol, I just thought that

Oh, lol, I just thought that you changed everything a bit so it would be okay. I guess not then. Oblivion rats FTW.

alexanderb
alexanderb's picture
Contributor
things that might help later on
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/17294 (probably doesnt work in skyrim lol) http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/10402 (modders resource, author says just put a link the that site if we want to use.... we can put the link in the readme once we are done.) http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/15710 (need someone to ask if we can use it cause it doesnt say if we can in the description http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/17664 ("This is a Skyrim Nexus Exclusive. You MUST contact me before you do anything with this mod in any form for any reason. This includes language translations. I will NOT be providing Steam Workshop support at this time. Neither I nor McMuffin wish to see this mod on the Steam Workshop for the foreseable future." someone want to message him to ask if we can use it.) http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/15300 ("Permission note: I won't be uploading this file to Steam workshop. That means that noone will. I won't be happy if I see that there. I'm Nexus supporter and have been since 2007." I still want to contact him just incase. lol) Ill be looking for more of em. Going to be gone this weekend tho :(

Pages