T                                                     

U-Z                                                Completed: Mehh

DarkElf Male - 920:         

A-G                                                   Assigned:

H-J                                                 Completed: Kitties

K-L                                                 Assigned: Mehh

M                                                    Assigned: Suade

N-O                                                Assigned: RammS

P-T                                                 Assigned:                                                                

U-Z                                                Completed: Mehh

Dremora Male - 8                            Completed: Kitties

HighElf Female - 40                         Completed: alexanderb

HighElf Male - 60                             Completed: Were

Imperial Female - 75                       Completed: Kitties

Imperial Male - 190                         Completed: Mehh

Khajiit Female – 60                         Completed: meosen

Khajiit Male – 60                             Assigned: alexanderb 

Nord Female - 75                            Completed: Mehh

Nord Male - 190                             Completed: Sammael                           

Orc Female - 50                             Completed: Mehh

Orc Male – 120:                         

A-N                                               Assigned:  mycorn

O-Z                                               Assigned:

Redguard Female - 50                   Completed: andynev1

Redguard Male – 70                      Completed: Iniquity

WoodElf Female - 60                     Completed: RammS

WoodElf Male - 70                         Completed: sorrow1

Not ready yet, brother:

VivecRace Male - 1                                 Not ready yet

fbmwAshGhoulRace Male - 2                  Not ready yet

fbmwAshSlaveRace Male - 5                   Not ready yet

fbmwAshZombieRace Male - 5               Not ready yet 

GoldenSaint Female - 2                         Not ready yet

DagothRace Male - 4                             Not ready yet

AshGhoul Male - 2                                 Not ready yet

AlmalexiaRace Female - 1                      Not ready yet

W A T C H   V I D E O   T U T O R I A L

Note: Video tutorial for fixing the face bug.

Here's a breakdown of the sections of the Skyrim Actor window, along with my suggested actions:

Basic Info (Left-hand side):

ID: The ID of the NPC. Follow the ID naming conventions we established.
Name: Name of the NPC.
Short Name: Name that appears in subtitles. Leaving it blank will display the NPC's full name.

Flags:

Is CharGen Face Preset: Leave unchecked
Essential: Keep same as Morroblivion NPC
Protected: Only PC can kill this NPC. Leave unchecked for now?
Respawn: Keep same as Morroblivion NPC
Unique: If NPC is unique (named NPC, as opposed to a respawning bandit), check this.
Summonable: If NPC is a summon.
Is Ghost: If NPC is a ghost.
Invulnerable: If NPC should be invincible.
Doesn't Bleed: Leave unchecked (unless NPC is a robot or something?)
Simple Actor: Leave unchecked
Doesn't affect Stealth Meter: Leave unchecked

Traits Tab

Set appropriate race, gender, and voicetype.  (We still need to create voicetypes for Morrowind NPCs!)  Leave everything else unchecked, unless you think an NPC should use opposite gender anim--then you can check the Opposite Genders Anim button.

Stats

Do we want to fill this out later? We still need to figure out what Skyrim classes correspond to Morrowind classes.

Factions, Relationships, Keywords

Skip for now.

AI Data

Fill out according to the NPC you have and the info here.  In Oblivion, an Aggression of 5 or lower is equal to 0 in Skyrim.  Leave the Aggro Radius Behavior box unchecked.  Remember to pick an appropriate Combat Style.

AI Packages - Attack Data

Skip for now. Most of this can't be fixed up until we have more items/spells/etc. finished.

Character Gen Parts

Make your NPC pretty.

Edited by: grumpycat on 04/03/2013 - 03:43
Sjors Boomschors
Sjors Boomschors's picture
Contributor
How much NPC related stuff is

How much NPC related stuff is converted ?

I cant find anything related to NPC’s in the Morrowind_sk.esm v0.93

Shadow
Shadow's picture
This is quoted directly from

This is quoted directly from Anruin on page 4 of the Project Andoran Conversion Tool thread:

Most of main object types are converted, except these:

PGRD, ACHR, ACRE, DIAL, INFO, ANIO, ROAD, GMST, GLOB, CLAS, FACT, HAIR, EYES, RACE, SOUN, SKIL, MGEF, SCPT, LTEX, ENCH, SPEL, BSGN, SGST, BSGN, SKIL, APPA, ARMO, CLOT, CONT, GRAS, TREE, FURN, WEAP, AMMO, NPC_, CREA, LVLC, ALCH, SBSP, LVLI, WTHR, CLMT, REGN, INGR, MGEF, WATR, EFSH, ACRE, ACHR, ANIO, CSTY, PACK, IDLE, QUST, LVSP, LSCR 

Let me describe what is listed here.

1. Some items could not been translated (or don't need to be) because of new engine general design, new graphics, new gameplay features. They are: Gameplay settings, global values, loading screens, roads and pathgrids, sounds, sigil stones, scripts, subspaces, apparatuses, weather and climate, regions, everything that is related to magic, effects and shaders, water types, land textures (that's pity); and everything related to NPCs and creatures, including: birthsigns, races, hairs, eyes, skills, factions and classes, combat styles, ai packages, idle animations, animated objects, character and creatures references.

2. Some items translation code is ready for now but it have some bugs so it don't work as it should. It is LANDs and, in general, the exterior cells conversion code. (We have translated the references and the one Tamriel cell's land though).

3. Some other items are skipped now, because there is no code for their translation, but it can be done without really big problems. They are armor and clothing, ammo, weapons, maybe alchemy and ingredients, furniture (it will require new models though).

4. Trees cannot be translated but we will replace them with skyrim tree, saving the original object editor ID, so you could easily replace needed trees later with "Find and Replace" function in the CK.

5. Pathgrids cannot be translated into navigational meshes. You will have to generate them using CK, it is not too difficult task.

6. We don't see any simple way to convert quests, dialogues and scripts at the moment.

In other words, we need to work on everything pertaining to NPCs.  On the plus side, I think I remember that the skipped items are being worked on, and so are the trees (don't quote me on this).

unknownone
unknownone's picture
I'm assuming the NPC's need

I'm assuming the NPC's need to be converted over by hand? I could work on some because I've got pretty much nothing to do this summer and I'm open to work on anything really.

Ice
Ice's picture
Sweet you guys!The first step

Sweet you guys!

The first step would be playing around with it. I think we'll need to open both CKs side by side, and copy NPCdata from one game to another. That will give us a feel and bring up a number of questions, I'm sure. :D

After that we'll write up a basic tutorial on how to go about it, and break it up into different 'claims' that can be assigned people. (By race, quest or chronoligically). Finish a claim, move on to the next one sort of thing. :D

Thoughts? How's that sound?

Mooncat
Mooncat's picture
Until we can merge plugin

Until we can merge plugin files, by race is probably the cleanest way to do it.  Because each race/gender combo will probably want to share one VoiceType.

Winterdragon
Winterdragon's picture
Well, I would love to help a

Well, I would love to help a bit with the NPC stuff because Morroblivion will always be my favourite mod ever made, I will have much time the next couple of months and could get quite a bit done I think. I am not that good with the CK however, I have only used it for some very simple things and I have barely worked with NPC's at all. If someone could get me a bit familiar with how to do what you guys want to be done I'm pretty sure I could be usefull.

unknownone
unknownone's picture
Yea I think that splitting it

Yea I think that splitting it up by race and gender will be good because that will give us enough slots for people to claim and make sure everyone gets a change to contribute if they like. Would this be both Morrowind and Oblivion NPCs, or are we just working on Morrowind first?

Shadow
Shadow's picture
Unknownone:Just Morrowind. 

Unknownone:

Just Morrowind.  We are only converting Oblivion to preserve dependencies on that masterfile for now.  When Morroskyrim is mostly complete, then we can begin on Oblivion in earnest.

Oh, and splitting by race and gender sounds perfect.  We just need to make some sort of table, and have everyone pick a claim and post their choice.

miketheratguy
miketheratguy's picture
Will this involve converting

Will this involve converting the characters manually by crafting a new Skyrim NPC based on their MW appearance? And if so, is there an easy one-stop data sheet for their stats and stuff like that? How will things such as perks be decided?

I'm interested in the project but like what was said above, my experience with the CK is nearly nonexistent and I know little to nothing of AI packs, etc.

RammS
RammS's picture
I think we should just take
I think we should just take standard Sky NPC pattern for each race, and set proper level such as in the Morr. Stats and perks will be auto-calculated, then we can use their AI such as "citizen", "bandit", etc. Then we should change face to be a similar to the Morr NPC face and so on.
miketheratguy
miketheratguy's picture
Does that mean that the NPCs

Does that mean that the NPCs won't be going inside; sleeping; etc.? Or are the basics covered in those generic AI packages such as "citizen"?

I've been playing Skyrim so long that I've forgotten if NPCs did such things in Morroblivion. They have to be assigned specific buildings to sleep in and stuff like that, right?

Sjors Boomschors
Contributor
So NO NPC data at all, I

So NO NPC data at all, I guess I was right the first time. On the other hand this is still a point I don’t get. It looks so simple to convert the NPC Name, ID, Race, Sex and position data.

Without the in game position data this is really not looking good. We really need to go and find a method of automating the conversion of the basis NPC data to the new Morrowind_sk.esm

Clint
Clint's picture
NPCs and Converter

SB, I'm pretty damn sure Anruin know what he's doing. If he says that NPC stuff cannot be converted, then I'm going to take him at his word and start working on NPCs.

Like he said, if you can show him in the code how they are the similar, then by all means, go ahead.

Sjors Boomschors
Contributor
I have no idea what Andruin

I will start looking into this NPC stuff.

But I have no idea what Andruin is looking at when making a conversion setup. Without that info I have no idea what to send him as request to add to the converter.

EDIT:
I have created two files containing almost the same basic NPC information. One is made with Oblivion CS the other with the Skyrim CS. When using a external editor they both show the content that I setup. I have no idea how to convert the Oblivion file into a Skyrim file that would match the origional file I created. Cant put to words on how to do this at the moment.

What I think needs to beconverted before we start working on NPC's is:

NPC [ ID ] ( Maybe with a "MW" marker infront of ID to indicate Morrowind NPC )
NPC [ Name ]
NPC [ Race ]
NPC [ Sex ]
NPC [ In game position data ]

The rest will need to be sorted by hand.

Winterdragon
Winterdragon's picture
Well, when you guys figure

Well, when you guys figure out what would have to be done before we can begin, post it here so the work can start.

Shadow
Shadow's picture
S.B.I don't pretend to know

S.B.

I don't pretend to know the situation entirely, but from what I can gather, you and Anruin are both looking at this problem in different ways.  Anruin's converter converts directly from one Oblivion .esp to a Skyrim one, and sometimes the coding is incredibly different, so converting is really impossible.  However you are looking at it from the perspective of the CS/CK, which are very similar.  What you ask may be impossible on a .esp level, however if someone were to write a program that pulled data directly from the CS when open and put it into an open CK, then it probably would be possible to convert NPCs as well  as perhaps a few other things missed by Anruin's converter.  However we would need someone knowledgeable in programming to do this.

Mooncat
Mooncat's picture
I also don't understand why

I also don't understand why we can't get basic NPC data converted, but like Robert and Shadow, I trust Anruin knows what he's doing.  Perhaps it's related to the fact that NPCs and creatures have been merged into one data type in Skyrim? I don't know.

In any case, I did a quick survey of Morrowind_ob.esm, and here is an approximation of how many NPCs are in the game, divided by race and gender.  These numbers are estimates, but it should help us in making claims and all that:

AlmalexiaRace Female - 1
Argonian Female - 50
Argonian Male - 80
AshGhoul Male - 2
Breton Female - 55
Breton Male - 70
DagothRace Male - 4
DarkElf Female - 645
DarkElf Male - 920
Dremora Male - 8
fbmwAshGhoulRace Male - 2
fbmwAshSlaveRace Male - 5
fbmwAshZombieRace Male - 5
GoldenSaint Female - 2
HighElf Female - 40
HighElf Male - 60
Imperial Female - 75
Imperial Male - 190
Khajiit Female - 60
Khajiit Male - 60
Nord Female - 75
Nord Male - 190
Orc Female - 50
Orc Male - 120
Redguard Female - 50
Redguard Male - 70
VivecRace Male - 1
WoodElf Female - 60
WoodElf Male - 70

It's worth noting that there are two versions of the Ash Ghoul race.  Do we actually need two versions?  I don't know; I didn't look that closely. :P

Shadow
Shadow's picture
Perhaps we should split the

Perhaps we should split the dark elf claim further, as it is so much bigger than the other races. Maybe separate each gender into several other sections based on NPC names (like a to g, or something like that)

Also, I know it isn't time to be thinking about separate mods, but something should really be done to even out the males and females, I can't believe the numbers are that unbalanced.  After we are done with the main mod of course :)

unknownone
unknownone's picture
Thanks Mooncat! I agree that

Thanks Mooncat! I agree that we should split up the Dark Elfs, unless someone wants to do the 920. :) If we are starting the claims, I'll take Breton male and maybe female (unless someone else wants that). 

Mooncat
Mooncat's picture
I was pretty shocked about

I was pretty shocked about the gender imbalance, too.

It's hard to split up the claims as they stand now because of NPC VoiceTypes, but once the VoiceTypes are incorporated into the master .esm, then it won't be an issue.  To do it properly, we'd need an actual list of NPCs with both Editor IDs and Form IDs.  Not sure how to generate one automatically, though...

[Edit: Clarified what imbalance I'm talking about]

ironman12345
ironman12345's picture
SB,the only way I can see

SB,the only way I can see that might work the way you have suggested,is to open morrowind_ob.esm in the CS,then make new IDs for all of the NPCs in the wrldmorrowind world space,then save that out as an esp.

Convert that esp with the converter [if it could do it] to a skyrim esp.

Then go into the CK and see if the NPC`s are there,but it proberly would not work as the nif files for the NPCs meshes would proberly need converting too.

So from my seat,your idea sounds cool,but involves a lot of work and 3DMax skills.?

Sjors Boomschors
Contributor
Why the NPC NIF file

Why the NPC NIF file conversion, are we not going to use the Skyrim based NPC models ?

Ice
Ice's picture
So our steps are two create

So our steps are two create voicetypes and add to the esm, and then further divide up claim lists, and then start copying data over?

Great work on the claim list Mooncat! I copied it into the first post. :D

Winterdragon
Winterdragon's picture
I would like to start of with

I would like to start of with the High Elf males, I like Altmer and can make some pretty good looking ones.

Sjors Boomschors
Contributor
Just my opinion, so don’t

Just my opinion, so don’t shoot me for it: The Skyrim NPC’s need to look almost exactly like the original ones. You will need to take pictures off all Morroblivion NPC’s and make new Skyrim NPC’s based on original pictures.

EDIT:

I was just looking at the Con-sets and the slider setup for the face does match, so we could get very close to the origional face setup.

Ice
Ice's picture
Sounds good WinterDragon!SB:

Sounds good WinterDragon!

SB: Good call. We may want to have groups of people doing stats, and other groups doing faces? Or maybe do stats first and then faces?

First post updated. :D

Winterdragon
Winterdragon's picture
So you mean they should look

So you mean they should look like their Morroblivion counterparts, because I could live with that, however, most races looked completely different in Oblivion so I don't think we can really make NPC's that look like them. And recreating them so they look like they did in Morrowind would be just stupid, as there where only a few preset faces.

Sjors Boomschors
Contributor
Mmm... maybe it was not a

Mmm... maybe it was not a very good idea,
did not realize Morroblivion NPC's had so many default face.

Winterdragon
Winterdragon's picture
Oh no, I wasn't talking about

Oh no, I wasn't talking about the Morroblivion NPC's, they have more different faces, although if I think of it, I did saw the same face more than once so they probarly used some default faces as well. But I was talking about the original Morrowind NPC's, they have 10 presets for a face per race, and I think there where even less presets so it would be stupid to recreate their faces.

My point about that post was that you could set the bars at the same position for Skyrim NPC's as for Morroblivion NPC's but the faces would look nothing like eachother as every single races looks very different in Skyrim.

Clint
Clint's picture
NPC Faces
Winterdragon, I would say have the main and "iconic" NPC's have close faces to the originals. Like Jiub should look like Morrowind Jiub, Caius Cosades should look close to the original, Fargoth, etc. Generic characters like guards or guild members you don't have to try as hard. But honestly, most characters looked different to me in Morrowind and the preset faces never really bothered me. And again, in this mod, we're trying to keep as close to the original as possible. So I would say, try to keep it close to the originals, and if you find that two faces look too similar, switch it up a little bit. But I give you creative freedom in doing in what you see fit :)
Winterdragon
Winterdragon's picture
That's what I meant, and I

That's what I meant, and I totally agree, the important recognisable NPC's should look like their Morrowind counterparts, but I would leave the rest like bandits and random townspeople that don't matter that much to the creators (in this case me), so you recognize the people that you remember, and you still have some variation amongs the NPC's so it doesn't look too dull.

Major question: What about beards, I like beards but there obviously wheren't any beards in Morrowind. What about them?

Mooncat
Mooncat's picture
Winterdragon wrote:Major

Winterdragon wrote:

Major question: What about beards, I like beards but there obviously wheren't any beards in Morrowind. What about them?

Um... There WERE beards in Morrowind.  It's Oblivion (and thus, Morroblivion) that didn't have beards.

Winterdragon
Winterdragon's picture
Oh yeah, I forgot, but

Oh yeah, I forgot, but wheren't those beards automaticaly included with a haircut of face or something? Anyway, thanks for reminding me.

EDIT: Could someone say what actually needs to happen before we can start making NPC's?

ironman12345
ironman12345's picture
Yeah,sorry SB,I forgot that

Yeah,sorry SB,I forgot that this thread was based on using Skyrim NPC`s as a base,but that is because the converter does not at this time convert NPC`s.

That is being worked on in the converter code,if it can be done then morroblivion NPC`s could be used,?

Mooncat
Mooncat's picture
Here's a breakdown of the

Here's a breakdown of the sections of the Skyrim Actor window, along with my suggested actions:

Basic Info (Left-hand side):

ID: The ID of the NPC. Follow the ID naming conventions we established.
Name: Name of the NPC.
Short Name: Name that appears in subtitles. Leaving it blank will display the NPC's full name.

Flags:

Is CharGen Face Preset: Leave unchecked
Essential: Keep same as Morroblivion NPC
Protected: Only PC can kill this NPC. Leave unchecked for now?
Respawn: Keep same as Morroblivion NPC
Unique: If NPC is unique (named NPC, as opposed to a respawning bandit), check this.
Summonable: If NPC is a summon.
Is Ghost: If NPC is a ghost.
Invulnerable: If NPC should be invincible.
Doesn't Bleed: Leave unchecked (unless NPC is a robot or something?)
Simple Actor: Leave unchecked
Doesn't affect Stealth Meter: Leave unchecked

Traits Tab

Set appropriate race, gender, and voicetype.  (We still need to create voicetypes for Morrowind NPCs!)  Leave everything else unchecked, unless you think an NPC should use opposite gender anim--then you can check the Opposite Genders Anim button.

Stats

Do we want to fill this out later? We still need to figure out what Skyrim classes correspond to Morrowind classes.

Factions, Relationships, Keywords

Skip for now.

AI Data

Fill out according to the NPC you have and the info here.  In Oblivion, an Aggression of 5 or lower is equal to 0 in Skyrim.  Leave the Aggro Radius Behavior box unchecked.  Remember to pick an appropriate Combat Style.

AI Packages - Attack Data

Skip for now. Most of this can't be fixed up until we have more items/spells/etc. finished.

Character Gen Parts

Make your NPC pretty.

Winterdragon
Winterdragon's picture
Sooooo... can we start making

Sooooo... can we start making them yet because I will have time starting next week.

leobloom
leobloom's picture
Instructions look good

Instructions look good Mooncat. Could you clarify the steps befoe and after that though? I am assuming that we just open the CK and get going, and then save the whole thing (as an esp?). 

It's summer break for me now so I have a couple of weeks free and would be willing to do one set.

Mooncat
Mooncat's picture
I don't see why not.I think

I don't see why not.

I think it should be safe to create a new .esp file, make the voice type for your section (for instance, Altmer female would be something like "MWFemaleAltmer"), and just start plugging away at the NPCs.  When you're done, we'll need to gather up all the NPC plugins and merge them into the master file.  Once we have a stable master file and reliable merging tools... :P 

Voice types are listed under...Character in the Object Window, if I recall correctly.

Sjors Boomschors
Contributor
Just make a plan on what type

Just make a plan on what type on NPC ID mark to use, for example [MW(NPC ID Name)]

Maybe the tool below is of any use, I am still trying to get it to work myself.

NPC Editor v0.75.1
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/4554

leobloom
leobloom's picture
That thing is real useful but

That thing is real useful but only for editing characters. You can't create them from scratch so it's got to be the CK.

Sjors Boomschors
Contributor
You only need to add all

You only need to add all Morrowind NPC ID's and then you can use the NPC Editor, I think.

leobloom
leobloom's picture
THat would work, but only if

THat would work, but only if the program will fun off plugins and not just the main esm

Sjors Boomschors
Contributor
YES, you can load .ESP files,

YES, you can load .ESP files, I tested it with my Morroblivion NPC test file.

Mooncat
Mooncat's picture
What advantages does this

What advantages does this program have over the CK? Greater stability? Better control over NPC faces?  ('Cause editing faces in the CK is a pain. But then again, I felt the same way about Oblivion's CS... :P )

leobloom
leobloom's picture
It's faster and less

It's faster and less cluttered. Also, it does not require the CS which makes the conversion process more accessible.

RammS
RammS's picture
ID sollution
Here is possible ID type, what is easy to use 0_(city)_(morroblivion ID) with zero in the front, our newly created NPCs will be always above others and it'll increase efficiency of work. City - it is city or place abbreviate. We can easily navigate through thousand of NPCs morroblivion ID - standart ID with the "_ " For example, 0_SN_erene_llenim means that it's MorSky NPC lived in Seyda Neen and his Name(ID) is Erene Llenim.
Eazzy
Eazzy's picture
Hey Guys!Before you start

Hey Guys!
Before you start converting NPCs by hand...I'm currently modding Chuvakin to get NPCs and other forms converted automatically. A detailed status report will follow soon.

Winterdragon
Winterdragon's picture
Eazzy wrote:Hey Guys!Before

Eazzy wrote:

Hey Guys!
Before you start converting NPCs by hand...I'm currently modding Chuvakin to get NPCs and other forms converted automatically. A detailed status report will follow soon.

Thanks, that would really be a lot of work that we don't have to worry about anymore then.

Ice
Ice's picture
Awesome Eazzy!

Awesome Eazzy!

Mooncat
Mooncat's picture
Very nice! It seems like the

Very nice! It seems like the amount of stuff we have to do by hand is shrinking by the day.

Pages

Topic locked