Pages

183 posts / 0 new
Last post
thermador
thermador's picture
Administrator
Donor
New server update

Holy crap, moved the whole site to a new server!

If you're getting random "Error 500" or random "Page Not Found" errors, just refresh the page.  I think this should be fixed soon (not 100% on that, but I'm monitoring it).

ironman12345
ironman12345's picture
Got in with no

Got in with no problems,thanks! thermador!.:)

ironman12345
ironman12345's picture
I am still have to re-login

I am still have to re-login when going to the forum and change page or thread.

It does not always have a problem,but most times.

thermador
thermador's picture
Administrator
Donor
I know, yeah I'm working on

I know, yeah I'm working on it.  I've tried several things to fix it, hopefully one of them will do the job.

digitalparanoid
digitalparanoid's picture
Good work, as usual !Quick

edit: nevermind, sometimes I don't see things even when they're in front of me :P

Mehh
Mehh's picture
Haha! I remember the evil

Haha! I remember the evil errors taking up the entire screen for me xD I was like 'What the hell? are we being DDOSed?!'. When we got populer a few weeks ago and the forum kept downing, I actually thought we were being DDOSed. lols!

thermador
thermador's picture
Administrator
Donor
Huh, I did not even know

Huh, I did not even know about that.  Well anyway, the site is on, I think, a faster server than it used to be.  It's on a Virtual Private Server, so I can scale up the memory availability as needed.

thermador
thermador's picture
Administrator
Donor
Slow slow slow

The site is painfully slow right now.  I apologize for that; I really do. 

I have been working on it nonstop all weekend.  And earlier this week.  And last weekend too.

It has to do with something that is causing massive spikes in CPU and memory usage on the server and overloading the server, sometimes causing it to reboot and the site to go down for 10 minutes or more.  My hosting company (DreamHost) is out for blood too, although honestly I think it is an issue with their servers not being very compatible with Drupal (the content management system for this site).

Speaking of which, DreamHost is absolutely awful - never use them for hosting.  Nightmarehost is more like it.  Everything has gone to shit since a particular server move at Dreamhost (not the original move, a later move) and they refuse to move me back.

Here are the usage graphs for the past 24 hours, for example:

I recently found out from Zach (who used to host Morroblivion) that he had this site on a dedicated server at limestone networks that cost him $200/month.  So that is why it was so fast before.  I would raise money to pay for our server costs, but I really can't due to the various legal issues this presents (i.e. bethesda could accuse us of making money on the morroblivion/skywind projects) sooo I have to pay for it out of my own pocket.  While I have a good job, paying $200/mo for the web hosting of one site is not in my budget unfortunately. 

I have upped our memory allocation for Morroblivion.com and TaleofTwoWastelands.com (also on the same server but has much less traffic) to 4GB, the max allowed, which, coincidentally, costs me $200/month.  Even with that insane amount of ram (we should be able to get by on about 5% of that amount) there are still server crashes.

So I am trying to track down the causes of the issues I will have to disable or change certain components of the site.  The collapsing menus / blocks have gone away - current research suggests they may be a culprit.  I am trying to learn more though. The chat module was disabled for this reason as well.  Maybe some of this stuff will come back.  Maybe not.

If I could, I would upgrade Morroblivion.com from Drupal 6 to Drupal 7, which would/could improve things enormously.  Unfortunately, there is no clear upgrade path (yet) for our bugtracker module.  It may be a long time before that is ready, who knows?  Free open source software, you get what you pay for.  So, I have been trying to streamline Drupal 6 as best I can. Likewise, free open source web wizard, you get what you pay for.  ;-)

Anyway, I will keep you all updated as further events warrant.  Apologies for all the trouble.

thermador
thermador's picture
Administrator
Donor
Also, apologies again, but I

Also, apologies again, but I had to flush the sessions table so everyone has been logged out.  Sorry. 

If you are one of those people who never clears their cookies, and you don't remember your password, you can recover it here.

EDIT: if you're wondering why, just doing that and clearing out a few other really old tables cut the database size in half (150mb -> 70mb).

thermador
thermador's picture
Administrator
Donor
OK, the site should load a

OK, the site should load a LOT faster now.

It's on a dedicated server that costs me $150/month (paying yearly, that's about a $1800 bill I just paid eek). 

I can afford it, as long as I consolidate all six of my websites onto that server so that I'm not paying hosting fees anywhere else.  And it's fast.

Here are the specs on the new server:

• RAM: 4 GB
  • Disk: 500 GB - RAID 1
  • CPU: 1 quad-core @2.7GHz
  • Bandwidth: unlimited

Meanwhile, I'm still working on getting the rest of the site features back online.

I SCRAPPED THE DRUPAL 7 UPGRADE - back on D6.  Turned out the upgrade path for Private messages was unstable.  Didn't move most of the PM's.  Of course, I saved the old site.  Most of the content is back too.

Thanks for putting up with the slow speeds and connectivity issues.  There will be more changes but hopefully I won't have to take the site offline again.

If you see anything weird, or are missing some content TELL ME PLEASE.  Thx!

digitalparanoid
digitalparanoid's picture
This is responding so much

This is responding so much faster than the last days/weeks. Thanks so much for the effort and the time & money spent !

edit :

Found this little thing here

http://morroblivion.com/forums/skywind/skywind-mod-releases/...

Post #2 was by me and #3 was by iniquity and not morroblivion-admin. Just to say. I could care less :P

thermador
thermador's picture
Administrator
Donor
Fixed, thanks!

Fixed, thanks!

gidz89
gidz89's picture
Thermador thats very generous

Thermador thats very generous of you paying the costs :)

Site is a lot faster now.

RammS
RammS's picture
thanks Thermador!=)ps issue:

thanks Thermador!=)

ps issue: Translate site button\part doesn't exist, only spoiler

thermador
thermador's picture
Administrator
Donor
Thanks RaamS, yeah I know

Thanks RaamS, yeah I know about the translate button.  I know how I broke it, but I can't fix it!  Driving me nuts.

EDIT: Just realized what I needed to do.  Fixed!

Clint
Clint's picture
MUCH better Thermador, thank
MUCH better Thermador, thank you! Dang, my phone and I were starting to like the modern Drupal 7 look...oh well... (:
Mehh
Mehh's picture
Yay no more clicking on a

Yay no more clicking on a thread, and switching tabs and reading something else while a single thread takes 3 minutes to load up! Thanks xD

thermador
thermador's picture
Administrator
Donor
MUCH better Thermador, thank

MUCH better Thermador, thank you!

Dang, my phone and I were starting to like the modern Drupal 7 look...oh well... (:

Clint - sorry, I wish there were responsive CSS themes for Drupal 6 but there just AREN'T any.  Not even paid themes.  I wish someone would develop one, cause I would switch to it in heartbeat. Problem is, D6 predates the widespread adoption of responsive CSS.

I did get the mobile theme working again though, so as long as your user agent is properly set on your phone, it should automatically switch to the mobile theme, which is decent enough.

Yay no more clicking on a thread, and switching tabs and reading something else while a single thread takes 3 minutes to load up! Thanks xD

You're welcome!  Just paid a $1530 bill for the next 12 months of dedicated server hosting, so it's nice to get some props haha!  Granted, morroblivion is only one of five sites on the server, so it's not like it's just for this site alone.

ironman12345
ironman12345's picture
thermador,Dedicated servers

thermador,

Dedicated servers via an external host can be cool,and it looks like you have made a good choice,but like you say they can be expensive.

Have you considered running your own dedicated server,?,the reason I ask is because I run 2 servers from my home for online league racing and the only thing that can be a problem sometimes is the fact that they need to be online 24/7.

Ice
Ice's picture
Thank you Thermador. Both

Thank you Thermador. Both your paying for the servers and your work on the site are very generous.

I wish I could say more, but I can't think up anything that's worth $1,800.

God bless you sir,

Ice

thermador
thermador's picture
Administrator
Donor
Updated the site's theme to a

Updated the site's theme to a responsive theme.  I hacked this together from a few different sources.  Yes, I made the stickynote graphic haha. 

So, what does this mean?  The theme will change its shape and layout based on your device and screen width.  This means easy reading on all types of devices and screens!  Much better on mobile.

The theme is also lighter weight and simpler too.

I will need help debugging it, so if you see anything weird, please let me know!

Mehh
Mehh's picture
gotta love the stickie note?

gotta love the stickie note? =p

ironman12345
ironman12345's picture
Thanks thermador!,since

Thanks thermador!,since moving it you have done a great job with the site,love the new note logo.:)

qwertyasdfgh
qwertyasdfgh's picture
Thanks for supporting the

Thanks for supporting the site, thermador. Don't know what we would do without you :)

The only thing I noticed is that bugtracker is a little off (there should be a picture attached)

thermador
thermador's picture
Administrator
Donor
OK, thanks.  That should be

OK, thanks.  That should be fixed now -- you may have to hit F5 to refresh your browser's cache of the site.

Ice
Ice's picture
You're a cool person,

You're a cool person, Thermador.

:D

Clint
Clint's picture
Ok, I set up some Skyblivion

Ok, I set up some Skyblivion forums and links on the main page. However, they are not as good as the Morroblivion/Skywind links. I'll see if Thermador can correct this.

Ice
Ice's picture
Awesome! Thanks Clint!

Awesome! Thanks Clint!

thermador
thermador's picture
Administrator
Donor
More upgrades

Today I really upgraded the responsive layout of the site.  The sidebars and center column move in a much better way now, depending on your screen width.  You can test this out by resizing your browser window horizontally and watch the sidebars jump around to best fit your screen width.  This works with phones, tablets, netbooks, whatever.  It even works if you have Javascript disabled.

You may want to hit "F5" on your keyboard to reload the theme files so that you have the latest version of everything.

This has been fully tested in the latest versions of Firefox, IE, and Chrome.  The only browsers that don't support this responsive layout are ancient versions of IE [v6, 7, and 8], which make up about 9% of browser market share (and only about 1% of the browser traffic on this particular site). 

So, if you are still using IE 6/7/8 as your main browser, I strongly suggest you upgrade to IE 9 or later, if only for the security improvements.  Otherwise, you will see lots of duplicate sidebars on your screen and other weird stuff. 

Ice
Ice's picture
That's pretty sweet! Good

That's pretty sweet! Good work Thermador!

Sjors Boomschors
Sjors Boomschors's picture
Contributor
Atleast now I know why I see

Atleast now I know why I see duplicated stuff!

thermador
thermador's picture
Administrator
Donor
S.B., please upgrade to a

S.B., please upgrade to a more modern browser!!!  Firefox, Chrome, or even the latest version of Internet Explorer if you have to stay with IE.

It's worth it for:

• Less succeptibility to viruses, trojans, and other attacks
  • Compatibility with modern web standards
  • Faster web browsing - especially if you chose Chrome
  • The ability to use various privacy add-ons like AdBlock, NoScript, Ghostery as well as all of the other add-ons out there like download managers, automatic downloading tools (for a bunch of images, for example), FTP clients, whatever you want.  If you can imagine it, it's probably available as an add-on for Chrome or Firefox.

Coding websites to be compatible with IE 8 and earlier literally doubles (yes, literally) the amount of time it takes to build the code, because hacks and work-arounds must be made for almost everything you try to do.  This is because IE8 and earlier are not standards-compliant.  Why?  Basically, because Micro$oft thought they could do whatever they wanted with their browsers and web developers would just have to eat their shit and like it.  :Sp

As it turned out, their failure to build a good web browser caused IE's market share to plummet from 85% around 2002 to about 16% today.  And it's continuing to fall.  At the very least, please upgrade to IE 9.  Please, please please! :)

ironman12345
ironman12345's picture
thermador,I am still using

thermador,I am still using WinXP,and if I try to update to IE9,it needs Win7 at a minimum.?

I have Win7 Pro [the update version],but at this time I don`t want to install it incase it messes with all of my needed games related files [like those I am using for the skywind project].

Is IE9 only compatable with Win7 and up at this time.?

I intend to update to Win7 soon but not untill this project is nearly complete.

Mehh
Mehh's picture
I thought only casual pc

I thought only casual pc users used IE until they learned about other browsers and extensions. The only thing I use IE for is to download Firefox.

ironman12345
ironman12345's picture
Mehh,to me a computer is just

Mehh,to me a computer is just a tool,I don`t do anything like use facebook,twitter,etc and browsing to me is just something that I leave to younger guys,

Ok,I do download the odd film or two etc,but mainly only use the web if I need something,as my main interest is building systems [microelectronics],modding and playing games is just a relaxation.

Shadow
Shadow's picture
Ironman:  You should really

Ironman:  You should really at least give some of the other browsers a try.  When I was much younger I used IE, and then I discovered Firefox, which behaves and feels so much better.  Then I discovered Google Chrome, and I can tell you that it beats firefox in several areas, and completely obliterates IE.  They just take a day or two of getting used to and you won't be sorry afterwards.

ironman12345
ironman12345's picture
Ok,Shadow,np,I will give

Ok,Shadow,np,I will give chrome a try,but I guess it ain`t a big deal as I don`t have any real problems with this site or any others,even with IE8 I don`t use any addons or eccelarators,I hate flashy pretty options,as long as it works that is fine with me.I use classic window views and a classic toolbar and like it.

The funny thing is that I had Win7 Pro installed on one of my systems and just could not stand the way that MS butted in at every excuse,I know it`s an old fashioned view,but the more I can just do my work with less interference from the company`s that write the OS`s the better.

Unix is the only way to go,but no games [or hardly any],and I like the best of both worlds,work and play.

Mehh
Mehh's picture
I don't use social media

I don't use social media either. I enjoy using Firefox because I won't have to see ads filled up 90% of my screen, and won't have to deal with the slow down that the ads also bring. Firefox is also just plain more secure than IE. I don't wanna jinx my self, but I haven't had a virus or anything since hmmm 2007? 2006? and I actually use torrents quite a lot.

ironman12345
ironman12345's picture
I just use popup blocker,and

I just use popup blocker,and don`t seem to get hardly any ads,and have never had a virus or any other security problem way back to 1980 and before.

The router that I use has enough security built in to stop an invasion.:)

roxon_55
roxon_55's picture
Win 98 Classic View

Windows Vista 2006 through to 2009 Still has Windows Full Classic View and is compatible Have been running IE9,,Have been Running IE9 Experemental Since it was First Released..IE9 in intergrated to work with Microsoft Essentials,, Will let you Know what Virus are on Pages you are Going to and advise not to go to This Page. If you get popup in IE8 up you hhave not setup Popup Bloocker,,  

Ice
Ice's picture
Ironman, I'd heavily

Ironman, I'd heavily recommend chrome. I use it and it's much less "flashy" than IE. It loads 2 or 2x faster and does a lot less of the gimmicky stuff IE does. It's just a cleaner, smoother experience. Firefox is also less heafty than IE, but Chrome is definitely the fastest/ lightest. :D

thermador
thermador's picture
Administrator
Donor
Updates

Updates

You can now go to your "My Account" page and click edit and select a theme!

The "light" theme is the most debugged.  The "dark" and "sand" themes are copies of the "light" theme with the colors changed, so there might be a few bugs if I forgot to set something, but otherwise they should work the same.

By popular request, now you can make the site look like Skyrim Nexus (dark theme) or UESP (sand theme).  Looooooollll...

In other site news, I have upgraded the rich text editor, which now properly turns itself off if you are on a mobile device.  Posting from mobile devices should be a lot easier now.

With the new rich text editor, you can also upload files and images directly to the server.  Click on the "Link" button or the "Image" button and select the "Upload" tab.  Then browse for your file, click send it to the server, and there you go.

I also have improved the way the site displays images, so they should show up much better in threads now, and properly shrink based on your screen size.

Shadow
Shadow's picture
Cool Thermador! I have a

Cool Thermador!

I have a problem though.  I can't seem to log in using Google Chrome any more.  Pressing login just refreshes the pages.  Works fine in Firefox, and I could live with it, but I really do like Chrome much more.

thermador
thermador's picture
Administrator
Donor
Might have fixed it?  It's a

Might have fixed it?  It's a bitch of an issue to solve but I just applied this fix which seems to work for a lot of people.  Let me know if it still happens.

Otherwise try clearing all of your cookies and cache, and then try it - might be related to some cookie settings I changed I dunno.

Shadow
Shadow's picture
Thanks Thermador.  It didn't

Thanks Thermador.  It didn't work at first, but after clearing my cookies the site started behaving correctly with Chrome again!

Ice
Ice's picture
I dig the sand theme! Cool

I dig the sand theme!

Cool work Thermador! :D

Mehh
Mehh's picture
Suggestion! Is there a way

Suggestion!

Is there a way that you could make the forum chat have a longer archive and possibly make the chat size a little bigger?

qwertyasdfgh
qwertyasdfgh's picture
I'm having trouble posting

I'm having trouble posting new comments on bugtracker (again).

The bottom 'Post new comment' block isn't there, so I have to click "add new comment' button in the first post.

thermador
thermador's picture
Administrator
Donor
OK it should be fixed now.  I

OK it should be fixed now.  I forgot to update those settings again -- have to do it each time I run a core update of the site...

qwertyasdfgh
qwertyasdfgh's picture
Yep, it appeared. Thanks!

Yep, it appeared. Thanks!

Pages