THIS THREAD IS OUT OF DATE
This complete installation (below) is out of date, and the download links have been removed. Starting with v060, Morroblivion is packed as a complete installation now, rendering this thread unnecessary. Thanks qwertyasdfgh!
O U T D A T E D - Left for posterity, but out of date - go here instead
Given the difficulty and large number of files in a typical Morroblivion installation, I have put together a complete installation that is basically how I have my game set up.
This may not be for everybody, but it should help people out who just want to install the game and get to playing it already. If you don't like it, you can set up your own version of Morroblivion, starting with the Project Release Thread, or modify my installation.
Most of the screenshots in the gallery are from v053 of this package.
A modern graphics card, at least 1GB, preferably something less than a five years old and and higher specification, like:
- Nvidia GeForce 470/480, 570/580, 670/680 etc.
- ATI Radeon 5870/5970, 6870/6970, 7870/7970 etc.
You can run Morroblivion on an older card or cheaper graphics card, but you may have to turn down your graphics settings.
- About 10GB of free hard drive space to download and then extract the files.
- Oblivion installed, including the Shivering Isles expansion.
- Morrowind installed, including the Tribunal and Bloodmoon expansions.
- Knowing how to install mods and manage load order - If you don't know what a 'load order' is, or what Wrye Bash is, then you need to read the Oblivion Mods FAQ (and probably the Morroblivion FAQ) before you get started.
U P G R A D I N G
If you already have v050, v051, v052, v053, v054 or v055, see post #288 near the end of this thread for upgrade instructions (each post is numbered at the top).
If you have v056, v057, or 058, just get the new .ESM master file and overwrite the old one, and also get the new resource file and overwrite the old files.
If you have earlier versions than v050, uninstall everything and start from scratch using the instructions below (or don't uninstall and just overwrite, but I can't guarantee that will work).
I N S T A L L A T I O N
1) Install the following pre-requisites (if you don't have them already)
2) Download the master file (details here - thanks David & qwertyasdfgh!)
- Download the Morrowind_ob.esm Master File Installer -- v059 -- 48 MB
3) Install the master file
- Just run the .exe, then enter your Morrowind and Oblivion directories, and then the installer will extract the master file (Morrowind_ob.esm) to your \Oblivion\Data\ folder.
4) Download the complete installation
Download the v058 complete installation file -- v058 -- 2.5 GB (7z file)
or if that's not working, try an alternate download link (but it will be slower).
Download the v059 resource update -- v059 -- 0.2 MB (7z file)
and install it after you install the big file
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Instructions: Click the link, click the "Download" button, then "Download anyway".
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- OPTIONAL: 7 zip to open this archive and extract the files (if you don't already have it, you should use this for all your .zip/.7z/.rar needs). OR, instead of extracting the files, just drop the .zip/.7z/.rar files in your /Oblivion Mods/Bash Installers/ folder and install with Wrye Bash!
- OPTIONAL: Clothing Galore for Robert's v5 and HGEC or Clothing for Female HGEC body by Oldwolf58 - ONLY IF you are using these body replacers. Clothing Galore is newer and better - I recommend that one. Make sure to disable the vanilla clothing replacer that comes with the complete installation by unchecking it in your load order.
- OPTIONAL: Almalexia Race for HGEC Body by HelpfulPerson - ONLY IF you are using the Female HGEC Body replacer and you want Almalexia to have the right body. You don't need the .esp file, just the meshes and textures.
- OPTIONAL: DARNified UI for Oblivion and then Morroblivion Themed Loading Screens by qwertyasdfgh and Protocolled Dialogs by Eazzy - These make reading the large amounts of dialogue in Morroblivion much easier. Fancy stuff! ALSO you should check out this quick tip for customizing your DARNified UI - SUPER COOL!!!
- OPTIONAL: OBGE v3 (latest RC versions, not Nexus versions) - if you have the graphics power to run Morroblivion, then you should be running Oblivion Graphics Extender anyway. The shaders (especially Godrays v6, Liquid Water, the Anti-Aliasing (AA) plugins, and the Ambient Occlusion (AO) plugins) really improve things, getting the game back to a darker, more "Morrowind" feel (especially if you spend some time tweaking OBGE settings). If you are using Wrye Bash, you can get the BAIN-ready archives that install in a jiffy with Wrye Bash's installers tab.
- OPTIONAL: Any of these additional Morroblivion mods that have been developed here at Morroblivion.com (or check the Mods Forum for works-in-progress)
5) Install the complete installation - EITHER
Use Wrye Bash's installers tab to install the files so that you can easily remove them later. You can load the archive (.7z file) directly in Wrye Bash without extracting if you want - just put the .7z file in the "Bash Installers" folder, go to the Installers Tab, right-click Morroblivion and choose "Install".
(recommended, get Wrye Bash here, you should be using it to install and manage all of your mods!)
Manual install: Extract the files from the .7z archive to your \Oblivion\Data\ directory
(recommended if you regularly back up your \Oblivion\Data\ directory)
Use OBMM or NMM to make an OMOD from the extracted files. It will take several hours to pack the OMOD, and OBMM may crash (NMM is recommended if you want to use one of these programs).
(NOT recommended, unless you've got time to kill)
6) Observe this INSTALL order
- Install the three pre-requisite mods listed at the top.
- Install the 2.5GB complete installation, and also the Master File (Morrowind_ob.esm) through the .exe installer
- OPTIONAL: After that, install other updated Morroblivion files, including version upgrades, bugfixes, or patches (if any exist)
- OPTIONAL: After that, install any other Morroblivion mods or components that you want to use, including the HGEC stuff linked above, the Morroblivion UI mods for DARNified UI, or any of the additional mods listed here.
7) Observe this LOAD order
- Morrowind_ob.esm - must load immediately after Oblivion.esm
- ... any other ESM/ESP mods whatever ...
The "Morrowind_ob" ESP files that come with this complete installation - make sure to activate them ALL in your mod list. (If there is a component there that you don't want in your game, then don't activate it.)
Load order of the ESPs shouldn't matter but if you are having problems, put the Morrowind_ob ESP files at the END of your load order -- ESPECIALLY the Chargen and Transport mod, which can conflict with other mods that change character generation or create quick starts.
- Any other Morroblivion mods or components, including the HGEC stuff linked above and any Morroblivion updates, patches, or bugfixes. These should all load AFTER other Morroblivion ESP files.
- ... any other ESP mods whatever ...
8) Play the game!
Start a new game, and you will be given an option for where to start (be patient, it can take a moment for the dialogue box to pop up)
- With an existing character, travel to the imperial city prison courtyard, find Kisimba sweeping during the daytime, and get her to take you to Vvardenfell (details and screenshots here)
C R E D I T S
This pack includes the following mods!!! THANK YOU to everyone who built these. This pack DOESN'T include mods that change how vanilla Morrowind was (i.e. new voice overs, additional player homes, etc.). My goal is staying as true to the original Morrowind as possible but taking advantage of the graphics capabilities of Oblivion). If you think I missed something, let me know.
Morroblivion Project Release by David B and qwertyasdfgh (and countless others!)
This is the main Morroblivion project release thread - this is where it all started and continues to be done! Everything on this page is integrated (core files, support files, Vvardenfell Imports, etc.).
Hi-Res Textures and Normal Maps by Hashmi
A compilation of several popular Texture replacers for TES3:Morrowind, for example Connary and Qarl's work ... which have been made useable for Morroblivion (all textures also have Normal maps added).
Visual Overhaul by Eloth
Adds Hi-Resolution textures, Normal Maps, Specular Maps and Parallax maps to Landscape and Statics (Buildings). Separate parts are available for Ingredients, Plants, Clutter and Soulgems etc.
Tree Replacer by Eloth
Replaces the blocky and flat trees of Morrowind with equivalents from Oblivion and the Shivering Isles.
Clothing Replacer by Eloth
Replaces dis-proportional, seamy, blocky and blurry Morrowind clothes with Oblivion clothes (robes get replaced by remade versions of the originals).
Weapons by HelpfulPerson
Adds High-Resolution textures and normal maps to weapons (new textures by Helpfulperson).
Weapons by Darknut
Adds High-Resolution textures and normal maps to weapons (uses Darknut's sharpened Textures).
Misc. Textures by HelpfulPerson
Adds High-Resolution textures and normal maps to a variety to different objects (some clutter, some weapons, some ingredients)
Bloodmoon Texture Replacer by Helpfulperson
Adds High Resolution textures to Statics (like Buildings and Caves) in Bloodmoon.
Collision Redone for Eloth's Visual Overhaul by Hashmi
Collision meshes redone to solve some lag and stability issues ... with Parallax Mapping enabled and some texture paths re-directed so that it works with Eloth's Visual Overhaul.
Voiced Greetings and Combat by robertneville777 and qwertyasdfgh
Adds back Morrowind's voiced greetings and combat taunts.
Map replacer by Iceburg
Adds a higher resolution World map for Vvardenfell\Solstheim\Mournhold. This map is actually a scanned version of the TES3:Morrowind 'Paper Maps'.
Better Morroblivion Water v1.2 by Eloth
Completely revamped exterior/dungeon/interior/cave water.
Chargen And Transport Mod v9 by Thermador
A more robust world transport mod; is compatible with Open Cities, gives you a choice of where to start, makes the journey cost time and money and lets you skip the tutorial levels etc.
Morroblivion Silt Strider Overhaul by qwertyasdfgh
Improves textures and look of Silt Striders.
Universal Cast-When-Used System by qwertyasdfgh
Fixes many magic items in the game.
Better Landscape LOD by gruftikus
Greatly improves distand land, should lower crash frequency if you have distant land enabled.
Morroblivion Environment by qwertyasdfgh
Improves grass and terrain!